The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Dread
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Streets of Marienburg
The Museum
Tomb of Annihilation
More Adventures in Arkham Country
Tales from the Loop
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e)
Monster Manual II
Tomb of the Iron God
Superbabes: The Femforce Role-Playing Game
Coriolis
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
ASE1: Anomalous Subsurface Environment: City of Denethix and Dungeon Level 1
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Fate Core System
Eternal Lies
Blades in the Dark
Barrowmaze Complete
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
RPG Geek Random Tables
Forbidden Lands Core Book
Forbidden Lands Campaign
Raven's Purge
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Arms and Equipment Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 3e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (AD&D 2e)
Advanced Melee
Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
27 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

RPG» Forums » Actual Play » Play by Forum

Subject: "Want to Play" GeekList Reboot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: roleplaying [+] RPGG:Play-by-Forum [+] [View All]
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Let me do my research on what it would take... reach out to previous peeps who ran the newbie and then we can formulate THE PLAN.sauron

Hi Kat, how are you? Glad to see you running with this

Once there's a plan, I'll see if I can help in some way. As well as wanting to play, obviously.


Thanks so much, Mr B!

It was interesting when I started to ramble around the Geekdo to research to see how many posts for "Player looking for PbF" or other callouts for sessions. This kind of reaffirmed that only have the Newbie Initiative may not be enough to get community engagement. So while I continue to figure out the best way to approach this please keep through out theme or focus ideas.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would love another new player initiative (and am ramping up to run a game once I get over my jetlag), I would warn against starting any games in November... the holidays at the end of November and throughout December tend to cause a massive PbF slowdown that can/will kill some games. September is a good time to start if you have a quick 3-month game you want to run before the holiday rush.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
While I would love another new player initiative (and am ramping up to run a game once I get over my jetlag), I would warn against starting any games in November... the holidays at the end of November and throughout December tend to cause a massive PbF slowdown that can/will kill some games. September is a good time to start if you have a quick 3-month game you want to run before the holiday rush.


Then how about a short campaign initiative? Encourage GMs to start a bunch of one-shot/movie length campaigns. It could encourage quick play with the goal of being done by Christmas

I am not qualified to GM many games, but I enjoy doing it. I could try and find someway to contribute whatever the initiative is
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
While I would love another new player initiative (and am ramping up to run a game once I get over my jetlag), I would warn against starting any games in November... the holidays at the end of November and throughout December tend to cause a massive PbF slowdown that can/will kill some games. September is a good time to start if you have a quick 3-month game you want to run before the holiday rush.


Then how about a short campaign initiative? Encourage GMs to start a bunch of one-shot/movie length campaigns. It could encourage quick play with the goal of being done by Christmas

I am not qualified to GM many games, but I enjoy doing it. I could try and find someway to contribute whatever the initiative is


I think that is a PERFECT idea because one thing some GMs addressed in previous Initiatives was running multiple long sessions and conflicts.

So we have Indie RPGs, short campaigns... what else?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
While I would love another new player initiative (and am ramping up to run a game once I get over my jetlag), I would warn against starting any games in November... the holidays at the end of November and throughout December tend to cause a massive PbF slowdown that can/will kill some games. September is a good time to start if you have a quick 3-month game you want to run before the holiday rush.


Good idea... in order to not conflict with the Newbie - what do you think would be the best window to look at separate theme/focus Initiative.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Good idea... in order to not conflict with the Newbie - what do you think would be the best window to look at separate theme/focus Initiative.

I rather like the idea of running the Newbie Initiative in January, and then starting another initiative in late June/early July... Granted, my summer got super busy so that threw that idea right out the window, but ideally, it's what I'd love to do.

Basically I'd love to see two big pushes for PbF games in a year, hopefully also avoiding the busy school seasons for all the students playing.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Good idea... in order to not conflict with the Newbie - what do you think would be the best window to look at separate theme/focus Initiative.

I rather like the idea of running the Newbie Initiative in January, and then starting another initiative in late June/early July... Granted, my summer got super busy so that threw that idea right out the window, but ideally, it's what I'd love to do.

Basically I'd love to see two big pushes for PbF games in a year, hopefully also avoiding the busy school seasons for all the students playing.

Two big thumbs up!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Good idea... in order to not conflict with the Newbie - what do you think would be the best window to look at separate theme/focus Initiative.

I rather like the idea of running the Newbie Initiative in January, and then starting another initiative in late June/early July... Granted, my summer got super busy so that threw that idea right out the window, but ideally, it's what I'd love to do.

Basically I'd love to see two big pushes for PbF games in a year, hopefully also avoiding the busy school seasons for all the students playing.

Two big thumbs up!


Make that three!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Good idea... in order to not conflict with the Newbie - what do you think would be the best window to look at separate theme/focus Initiative.

I rather like the idea of running the Newbie Initiative in January, and then starting another initiative in late June/early July... Granted, my summer got super busy so that threw that idea right out the window, but ideally, it's what I'd love to do.

Basically I'd love to see two big pushes for PbF games in a year, hopefully also avoiding the busy school seasons for all the students playing.


There are so many factors that us Geeks encounter in our lives that make it hard to pick the right time period for our fun, indeed! So, I think it would be great to continue discussing what TYPE/FOCUS another Initiative should have in order to keep the Newbie centric to first time players on RPGG. I still like the concept of short sessions and offering Indie writers a chance to showcase their systems.

So - firing the first salvo! What for you defines a 'short session' type of module/adventure? Give some examples if you know any.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games of all types, so I'm less inclined to care about focus. There are some games I'll never run as PbF games because I imagine they would get horribly bogged down (Shadowrun (2nd Edition) comes to mind) - but I am willing to help GMs if they want to attempt to run it (don't say I didn't warn you!)

I wonder if there is another Homegrown event for this year... (previous year's microbadge: mb) They are good for getting people to play the RPGs created in the RPGG site contests. I love those events. I should remember to ask Steve about it, since I've already participated playing a homegrown game this year, but I'm more than willing to run one for other people. Most also tend to fall under the "short" and "Indie" categories.

I will create a second post for all the short session games/adventures!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, there's a homegrown event too? Color me intrigued...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:
Wait, there's a homegrown event too? Color me intrigued...

Well, there have been the last two years. I don't see why there wouldn't be another, especially since we keep creating more games in the various contests - plenty of game types to choose from!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Jethreal wrote:
Wait, there's a homegrown event too? Color me intrigued...

Well, there have been the last two years. I don't see why there wouldn't be another, especially since we keep creating more games in the various contests - plenty of game types to choose from!


It's just funny because I've been kicking around an idea for a lighter, story type RPG similar to the way you ran the A Walk in the Winter Woods one. Maybe I'll make it into something real.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it! I love light story type RPGs as PbF games!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Do it! I love light story type RPGs as PbF games!

What Carrie said!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, man what Caroline did would be a nice easy way to dip my toes into the GM scene, without committing to a year long adventure cycle. And then I had an idea for a scene, and a world, and a few rules to guide it.

This is all your fault Caroline you know. First you GM me through the Woods in the newbie initiative, then you ran the Tower, now I'm in around 5 games and playing with the idea of making a light rpg myself. This is all on you lol.

And this community is incredibly supportive, gah! You're all MONSTERS!
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
devil
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the best monsters. Really, they are.

That is awesome, Jeff. Hope you do create something, you never know what will happen.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
So - firing the first salvo! What for you defines a 'short session' type of module/adventure? Give some examples if you know any.

Short - full PbF game can be played in two weeks (at a furious pace) to one month (one post a day pace):

A Doomed Pilgrim in the Ruins of the Future
Atop a Lonely Tower
At Ends in the Ruins of the Future
Caravan Guards in the Ruins of the Future
Cheat Your Own Adventure
In a Den of Vipers

Short - full PbF game can be played in 3 months (one post a day, at least five posts a week):

The Deep Forest
Don't Walk in Winter Wood
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Lexicon
Microscope
The Murder of Mr. Crow
Project Ninja Panda Taco
The Quiet Year
Tonight we slay a dragon, or die in the attempt

Short - scenario can be played in 3 months (or less) and then players can choose to play for longer:

Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
Lady Blackbird
Swords & Wizardry
Tunnels & Trolls (5th - 5.5 Edition)
We Be Goblins!

This is not a comprehensive list! These are just games I've personally played as PbF games, so I have an idea of the time it takes. Games can take longer once posting slows down. Any RPG, even the most complex, can fit into the Short - scenario category, if the GM is running a starter mission.
14 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to run a longer, more traditional RPG via the forums, it's good to not try to bite off more than you can chew. When I say a starter mission, I don't necessarily mean a pre-written mission, but a mission that will test the waters. Sometimes pre-written missions work great, because they are short, sometimes they need to be chopped into smaller bite-sized pieces.

If you take Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition), a good starter would be the first chapter, where everyone meets in New York, the hook is set, and things get moving. We Be Goblins! is a pretty short mission, but if it works, the GM can riff on it and keep going, either with the next installment, or by whipping up their own adventure.

The reason short works, is that sometimes groups don't mesh well, and it is better to find that out in a short mission, rather than a long one where people drop out at key points leading to a slow death.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hopkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
We're on an express elevator to hell; going down!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pazio released a series of Quest adventures for Pathfinder.

Each had 6 small 1 hour adventures if played face to face you could play as few or as many of these as you wanted to.

The Silverhex Chronicles

Phantom Phenomena

Honor's Echo

With the release of the Starfinder system we now also have.

Into the Unknown

All were designed to be run with the Iconic NPC's provided by Pazio.

These could be a good starting point for players new to PBF.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.