Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Actual Play » Play by Forum

Subject: "Want to Play" GeekList Reboot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: roleplaying [+] RPGG:Play-by-Forum [+] [View All]
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

This primary forum has worked really well for new tables recruiting players, but it's been a long while since the previously-active GeekList for players seeking new tables has seen any traffic (here, for reference). Basically, rather than GMs posting new tables, players request which games they would like to play to help prompt games which are not currently running.

I'd be happy to put together a new GeekList with a similar function, rebooted for today's active PbF community. I have a few thoughts as to how to help keep it updated and limit redundancy after list items age.

What do you think--would this be helpful/desirable for current and upcoming players?

Link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that helps people to get role playing and have fun gets my vote, Jim!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would help... I never knew about the geeklist before this and I've been here for over a year... How to find it is really buried in the wiki... It might help to put a permanent link to it in the welcome thread or another prominent place on the main page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea

I, for one, would love to get in a Shadowrun 5e game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like that idea, Jim. Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Scholes
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmbmbmb
There were lots of games in the last PBF Newbie initiative I would have liked to try.

How about a "Play something you've never played before" PBF Initiative, to get some regular PBFers spreading their wings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:
There were lots of games in the last PBF Newbie initiative I would have liked to try.

How about a "Play something you've never played before" PBF Initiative, to get some regular PBFers spreading their wings?

+1 - Love this idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiksguard wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:

+1 - Love this idea!

I also think this is excellent! There is already a "play five games you've never played before" challenge with a sort-of/kind-of PbF variant, but nothing dedicated to PbF, so far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Reiksguard wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:

+1 - Love this idea!

I also think this is excellent! There is already a "play five games you've never played before" challenge with a sort-of/kind-of PbF variant, but nothing dedicated to PbF, so far as I know.

Absolutely!

A great idea Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carlc wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Reiksguard wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:

+1 - Love this idea!

Absolutely!

A great idea Richard.

I think doing PbF Initiatives more than once a year would be great, what would we all need to do to start planning for once to start in November? Something like "Winter is Coming" Initiative or another fall season theme? RPGG is running its Vituacon in October so starting it in November would be a good timeline.

What say you all? I can help with some of the stuff to get this started... anyone else interested in donating some effort to a new initiative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
carlc wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Reiksguard wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:

+1 - Love this idea!

Absolutely!

A great idea Richard.

I think doing PbF Initiatives more than once a year would be great, what would we all need to do to start planning for once to start in November? Something like "Winter is Coming" Initiative or another fall season theme? RPGG is running its Vituacon in October so starting it in November would be a good timeline.

What say you all? I can help with some of the stuff to get this started... anyone else interested in donating some effort to a new initiative?

I've heard of the Newbie initiative which I think was in january. I would be behind a "play something you have never played" initiative.
Or I might suggest an "Indie Spotlight" initiative. Lurking on the PBF forum I see a lot of D&D 5e recruitment drives, and threads for other big names. Maybe it would be nice to encourage some love for smaller developers, indies, homebrews, competition entries etc.

edit: and yeah, depending in what is involved I don't mind lending a hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
"Winter is Coming"

Sounds familiar. Can't remember why though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:

Possibly...

Depends what you need. I'm not much use with technology but I'm happy to help with admin stuff.

ETA: Let's see what Jim has in mind before we run away with his idea.

ETA 2: https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/229972/pbf-players-looking-game...

So if there is an idea for an initiative I'd be happy to supply low grade administrative help (that is I'm low grade - not that I'm only willing to do low grade work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carlc wrote:
Katastrophy9 wrote:

Possibly...

Depends what you need. I'm not much use with technology but I'm happy to help with admin stuff.

ETA: Let's see what Jim has in mind before we run away with his idea.

ETA 2: https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/229972/pbf-players-looking-game...

So if there is an idea for an initiative I'd be happy to supply low grade administrative help (that is I'm low grade - not that I'm only willing to do low grade work).

First, you guys are great and I hope to hear some more ideas. I was in the 2015 Newbie Initiative and grasped that the hardest part is getting the GMs to run the sessions. So in looking at the great ideas all of you have (theme-based/seasonal; never-played-before, indie derived, etc.) I am going to do some research and post up some basic I glean on :if we wanted to have an Initiative what would the plan look like (kind of scoping out the madness and predicting the chaos!).

I will gather my gleaned information and Initiative ideas to throw on a separate forum post for ALL to express interest... will put the link here and we can all see what happens.

What say you all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kat, I give you my 100% affirmation in taking this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
If we do another newbie initiative kind of idea I'd be willing to throw in as a newbie GM initiate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:
If we do another newbie initiative kind of idea I'd be willing to throw in as a newbie GM initiate

Woohoo! You'd make a great GM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
only if it involves a slow descent into madness and the players attempts to stave it off lol.

But seriously thanks for the vote of confidence Jason, this would be a great way to test the waters again (last time I GM'd was a couple decades ago and we were all teenagers, YOU get a DragonOrb, and YOU get a DragonOrb, and YOU get a DragonOrb! all Oprah like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I have a DragonOrb?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Can I have a DragonOrb?

A la Old Sckool... I get one too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Kat, I give you my 100% affirmation in taking this up!

Let me do my research on what it would take... reach out to previous peeps who ran the newbie and then we can formulate THE PLAN.sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
You all get a DRAGONORB!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Let me do my research on what it would take... reach out to previous peeps who ran the newbie and then we can formulate THE PLAN.sauron

Hi Kat, how are you? Glad to see you running with this

Once there's a plan, I'll see if I can help in some way. As well as wanting to play, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.