Castle of the Mad Archmage Adventure Book
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
We need to introduce you to Star Fleet Battles

Man, that is a great game. I played a lot of it back in the early 1990s. Don't have the time/patience/whatever for it these days, but many fond memories.

I've played numerous times where the victory was based on superior knowledge of the rules. Given the rules... it always seemed fair that it shook out that way. Sort of, "Yep, I guess I could have known about that if I'd put in the time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
Mavis101 wrote:
trystero11 wrote:
You couldn't pay me enough to play Advanced Squad Leader...

Why do you not want to play it?

Because just reading any random page of rules (or the sequence of play, or the guide to information on the counters that's printed on the binder endpapers) induces a terrible fit of giggles in me. Not because of the subject matter, but just because the sheer lunatic density of the rules — complete with abbreviations (like FFMO/FFNAM), cross-references, exceptions, etc. — gets me going. Legal documents aren't that absurdly complex; quantum physics (which I studied) isn't as bafflingly incomprehensible.

Anyway, back to ASL. I admire those who can actually read, understand, and play it, but I have no desire to join their ranks. I'm a vicarious reader, and perfectly content as such.

Glad I'm not the only one. laugh I thought the first Starter Kit would make it user-friendly enough for me to "get it"...and it did. My buddy and I actually played through a scenario (or part of it). I just find the system to be way-overly complex for my tastes. Give me a game where I only need one "to hit" roll, please.

To each their own and I'm glad there are folks out there who enjoy ASL. It's simply not a game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames played an interesting role in my gaming history.

The first time I went to my FLGS, I intended to buy a RPG like D&D. Instead I got very confused and left with the wargames Gondor and Sauron. After I played with those solo for a bit, I realized that I needed to make a second trip to the FLGS...

Since then, I've played many miniatures games (which I consider a different thing altogether) and some light wargames such as BattleLore (Second Edition).

They've never really had an effect on my RPGing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played loads of miniature wargames - your Warhammers, Black Powder, Frostgrave. Toying with Bolt Action now too. I've always loved miniatures.

With boardgames, I do tend to like the war themed ones (and obviously Axis and Allies is the best board game ever made).

I've dabbled with 'proper' chits and hexes war games too, although they're far from my go-to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like light wargames (Twilight Struggle, Memoir '44, Hammer of the Scots, etc.).

Heavier ones don't appeal to me that much -- if I'm going to play a game with complex rules, I'll play an RPG.

The main challenge with playing more wargames is that most of them are 2-player, and I rarely have just me and one other -- if I have time, then usually a few friends can make it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
If you follow the wargames forum over on the BGG side of the house, there's a constant, running argument about what is and isn't a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've dabbled in a fair sprinkling of wargames and mostly wargames, though not much recently. Several of my plays were one-shots owned by someone else, mostly of which I've forgotten the details. Lately, I prefer things like Ora et Labora or Lords of Waterdeep, for my occasional board game plays.

Probably the thing I played the most was Ogre/GEV. I have a piece of plexi-glass cut to cover the big GEV dual maps exactly, and we still played them so much that they were starting to tear.

Also dabbled a little with Chainmail and AD&D Battle System and other such things.

My "problem" with wargames (and most board games, in fact) is that I sit pretty firmly in the "talented amateur" level of proficiency when it comes to such things. I'm not good enough or interested enough to really challenge a good player, but tend to mop the floor with players that aren't into that kind of thinking. Most people don't stagnate at my level of play, meaning that it is difficult for me to find a good challenge unless I'm in the mood to get destroyed as part of a learning experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
After high school I was introduced to a series of war games. Most of what I played were at the division/squadron level. Some like Starship Troopers, and Cry Havoc (1981) were not. One of the campaigns that I used in the early 80's involved a raid on a village and later an assault on small castle-like structure. Used pre-made floor plans for the board inspired by these two games and some of their variants and extensions.

Never got into Warhammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played a wargame?
Not really. The closest would be Magic Realm, which is already sort of hybridizing with RPGs.

Have you ever used wargame-like experiences in your RPGs?
Nope! I'd be more likely to use RPG experiences in wargames...

Has a wargame ever influenced your RPG?
Not in the slightest. Though I have a feeling it might have influenced some of the GM's I've played with in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
I started at the age of about 6 with a miniatures wargame about the Battle of Little Bighorn. As I grew I got into Napoleonic miniatures like the ones in this picture:

Also ancient miniatures and Chainmail. Which of course led me to OD&D. In parallel I got into the board wargaming side. Lots of Avalon Hill and SPI games.

The one that showed me how to blend the world of strategic wargames and the world of role playing was the fabulous Freedom in the Galaxy.

It featured galactic empire star fleets and military units and a way to gear down to individual characters evading patrols, finding artifacts, running diplomatic missions and evading the giant space cruisers in their scout ships. The ethos of this game has been a driving force for my RPGs ever since, tracking the world big picture while letting PCs have adventures that could move the fate of nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
DanDare2050 wrote:
The one that showed me how to blend the world of strategic wargames and the world of role playing was the fabulous Freedom in the Galaxy.

If you liked Freedom in the Galaxy, then I highly recommend you try out the recent Fantasy Flight Star Wars: Rebellion, with which I'm told it has some things in common. Definitely, it has the "big events" combined with the character-driven narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Now that's a wargame!
The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To Complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:

Got it, played it. Its interesting that the designers notes included that it was meant to be more of an educational sim than a game. I should have read that first. Instead it occupied a garage for two years, although it didn't collect dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
DanDare2050 wrote:

It featured galactic empire star fleets and military units and a way to gear down to individual characters evading patrols, finding artifacts, running diplomatic missions and evading the giant space cruisers in their scout ships. The ethos of this game has been a driving force for my RPGs ever since, tracking the world big picture while letting PCs have adventures that could move the fate of nations.

Working Characters-upward is why I like...
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition)↔︎Warhammer↔︎Mighty Empires
MechWarrior (2nd Edition)↔︎BattleTech Manual: The Rules of Warfare↔︎Battleforce 2↔︎The Succession Wars
HERO System Rulesbook Fourth Edition & Fantasy Hero Companion II - the compendium gives mass combat rules
MegaTraveller+ MegaTraveller: Referee's Companion
The Star Wars Roleplaying Game (Second Edition) (blue cover)

Multiple scales and the ability to resolve PC effects in mass battles which are played out in a non-character scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.