Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
Ten Candles
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
The Umerican Survival Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 3.5e)
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
B10: Night's Dark Terror
GW1: Legion of Gold
GURPS Ogre
City State of the World Emperor
Twilight Imperium: The Role-Playing Game
Game Master's Toolkit
De Profundis (2nd Edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Hollowpoint
Lure of Power
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
The Morrow Project 4th Edition
Operation: Shadowpoint
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Mass Effect RPG
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
FAITH Player Deck
The End of the World: Revolt of the Machines
Tales from the Loop
The Pit of Kutallu
DDAL7-01: A City on the Edge
Fey and Forest Classes
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Jonas Richter
Germany
Göttingen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
GO!
badge
What is this overtext thing people are talking about?
mbmbmbmbmb

What sort of 'unimportant' details do you or your group often fall for? What is most likely to distract you and get you side-tracked?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
When we talk about our favorite American college football team: The University of Iowa Hawkeyes.

GO HAWKS!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missing ones.

As in, the group is missing some key details, but isn't going to let that stop them from spinning up wild theories based on the vastly insufficient information they do have.

I usually let them do that for 5 to 10 minutes if they seem to be enjoying it, but then step in to remind them that if they want more information, it's far easier to go look for it than guess.

And no, I don't run one of those games where the facts change based on the wild ideas of the players. (I do make notes of good ideas for uses in later adventures, or even campaigns. devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all they're a pretty focused group (I've just left my RL group, so sadly it's "they" and not "us" anymore). Maybe what snacks they'd like to get for the next session..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying equipment and/or planning for a mission.

It got so bad, eating most of our playing time, that I started to make ellipses between 'mission briefing' and being there. while assuming PC's equipped themselves reasonably (no missing rope incident).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai S.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
A Beast I am, lest a Beast I become
mbmbmbmbmb
*sighs*

Cats...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
The orcs are a growing menace in the east but, hey, I think I can bargain the local lord down another % point on my coal mine taxes if I do a deal using hirelings as highway patrol for him. Only, we need to change over the elevator mechanism to get more kilos of coal per lift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing derails my pathfinder group than the visual aids our GM lovingly prepares. We seem to have developed the habit of picking apart everything he shows us. Some of the highlights that come to mind.
The halfling that is just a living bust statue
the boat captain that has hooves and looks like captain birdseye
the elf who cannot move his arms above the elbow
The town we visited with a settlements across the river called "sample house" and "scale 1 square = 10 meters"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
"ooooh, shiiiiniiee..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It never fails. I make them check to see if they detect something. Maybe a trap. Maybe a clue. Maybe an enemy lying in wait. Or maybe nothing at all, just to keep them on their toes.

If they fail the check, they are paralyzed. They inexplicably transform into a bunch of Monty Python style philosophers and stand around theorizing what it is they do not know. I impress upon them the thought that their characters have no idea they do not know anything. They respond that the players need time to assess the meaning of the failed perception roll...possibly for hours.

Pete (sometimes just tells them what they did not find, thus validating this absurd behavior)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
What kind of motorcycle does Santa ride?
badge
Holly Davidson
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things: Doors and Phantom Traps

Regarding doors, my group has never seen a door they did not want to open, going through all the motions of listening, inspecting, checking, lockpicking, etc. until they eventually open it. It does not matter if it is a door to a close or a false door. They want to check it out. I devilishly use this behavior to my own nefarious means. If I want to lure them down a hallway to an awaiting trap, I just place a door at the end of the hallway. They can't resist looking in it, even if is out of their way and the obviously conclusion to the adventure is through an open archway. They even have a chant "More Door, More Door" (sounding suspiciously like "Mordor, Mordor")

Regarding phantom traps, this is more a behavior born of missing an obvious trap. Afterwards, EVERYTHING is a TRAP! The doors, the walls, the ceiling, the chest, the table, the book, the candlestick, the stray pebble in the corner of the crypt, EVERYTHING! Everything is a trap and they spend countless rolls investigating for traps. And of course, once they get tired of looking for them, they trip another trap and the cycle starts all over again. My trap designs have purpose -- they are in location where one would expect them and perform a specific function such as a warning or protection. They are not random, so knowing when to look and when not to look should not be hard. But unfortunately, this same group plays with another DM whose traps are much more random, so they will never be cured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
But unfortunately, this same group plays with another DM whose traps are much more random, so they will never be cured.

Don't give up hope on that front. I suggest a steady diet of obvious traps that are already sprung, in the obvious spots as you have been placing them already. Nothing tells the players that you are fair like a skeletal hand sticking out from under the pile of rocks that dropped out of a ceiling, with the old wooden trap door still flapping quietly in the air current. Plus, if done with a little atmosphere, it can be creepier than the unsprung version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I don't understand. Are you asking what distracts the players or the characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
Archduke Norris Aella Aledon
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters: Any hint of a conspiracy, and they jump all over it. Even when not present.

Players: politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange-looking side corridors/roads/paths/etc. Also, any hints of conspiracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"All measurable quantities fall short of the truth of reality." -Chuang Tsu
mbmbmbmbmb
Animals. When I GM, I guess I describe animals in more detail and frequency than other GMs. This is probably because I love animals and have studied zoology, so like to describe them.

But the players in convention games who don't know me get suspicious, or at least curious, about frequent animal descriptions. I had one player spend his only Fudge point to determine if a donkey was magical or not after he had failed his Farmhand roll. (It wasn't, but it was a very good donkey!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm really not sure what sort of thing this would mean. It is the sort of thing I see comments and RPG cartoons about, but I don't really know what it would look like in play.

RE: Traps

I'm really not fond of "searching for traps" in games (though a game could have solid mechanics for it, I've never seen one), so I use traps (rarely) in one of two ways:

1) I am nearly completely sure the PCs will see obvious signs warning them of the trap, and the interesting part will be figuring out how to get past it.

2) I am nearly completely sure the PCs will be totally surprised by the trap, and the interesting part will be figuring out how to get out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random NPCs I include for flavor, which the players then decide must be important and focus on. Of course, since they're focusing on them, I make them important retroactively, so I guess they're justified. Best example was the random pickpocket orphan the group of Solar Exalted caught and decided to adopt, eventually discovering that his father was Plentimon, God of the Dice, which explains why he was lucky enough to get caught pickpocketing a group of benevolent superhumans who would go on to conquer the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

I'm really not fond of "searching for traps" in games (though a game could have solid mechanics for it, I've never seen one)
You've never seen pre-3E D&D? the rules aren't good, but are VERY solid, in that they are a reliable rule that is clearly written as a game element.
10 minutes, 10x10' square of wall, 1 in 6 chance; Elves 2 in 6.
Thieves: whole room or single object, 10 minutes, percentile chance by level.
GM makes the rolls whether the trap is there or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I'm really not fond of "searching for traps" in games (though a game could have solid mechanics for it, I've never seen one)
You've never seen pre-3E D&D? the rules aren't good, but are VERY solid, in that they are a reliable rule that is clearly written as a game element.

OK, maybe "solid" was a poor choice of words. Just thinking, like, a meaningful rule that makes for interesting/enjoyable game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
aramis wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

OK, maybe "solid" was a poor choice of words. Just thinking, like, a meaningful rule that makes for interesting/enjoyable game play.

Many people enjoy the D&D rule as playable and amusing.... myself included. It's cheezy as hell, but it is fun. when running a dungeon as a press-your-luck delve quasi-board games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Many people enjoy the D&D rule as playable and amusing.... myself included. It's cheezy as hell, but it is fun. when running a dungeon as a press-your-luck delve quasi-board games...

Some people enjoy lutefisk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will fall for everything and be too suspicious about anything I should not be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locked doors never fail to get their attention. Hints of books (even if the books are just there for flavor) will be scoured for useful spells or information. Often the characters have their own personal goals, which can easily sidetrack the main goals... though are just as important. And I go on tangents at the drop of a hat... so I am most likely to distract others! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.