The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game
The Armitage Files
A Taste For Murder
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Curse of Strahd
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Spawn
DDAL00-02: Lost Tales of Myth Drannor
Game Trade Magazine (Issue 213 - Nov 2017)
Deities & Demigods
Trail of Cthulhu
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Trollbabe
B10: Night's Dark Terror
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names
Drakar och Demoner (3rd Edition)
City State of the World Emperor
De Profundis
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Fiasco
De Profundis (2nd Edition)
It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Game Master's Kit
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The Quiet Year
The Morrow Project 4th Edition
Beyond the Rim
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Fellowship: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Ten Candles
Warriors of Destiny
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition) Kickstarter Slipcase
7th Sea Core Rulebook
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Symbaroum Advanced Player's Guide
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"All measurable quantities fall short of the truth of reality." -Chuang Tsu
mbmbmbmbmb

Has an NPC who was NOT intended to be a villain ever become so hated by the PCs that they tried to kill him/her/it/them?

Why did they hate the NPC?

Did they succeed in killing them?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the time?

Pete (has players who don't trust anyone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
There wasn't an npc, be it good or bad, that my parties wouldn't kill at the most in-opportune moments.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
There was a NPC named Gregori in Pathfinder's King Maker module who fits the parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"All measurable quantities fall short of the truth of reality." -Chuang Tsu
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there was. In my early days of GMing the fantasy genre, I had a couple of D&D players in my game. (I was probably running GURPS, but it may have been TFT.) At that point I had no concept of the bizarre warped concept of fantasy that D&D creates, so I was playing an NPC as a pretty realistic medieval nobleman who was not going to take any lip from commoners even if they did aid him in his quest.

The commoner PCs wanted the loot; the nobleman NPC, a paladin type, said it was going back to the rightful owners. A fight ensued, and the NPC won, leaving two wounded PCs. He did staunch their bleeding before he left, and told the nearest monastery where to find wounded adventurers who needed healing, but left them not a penny of the loot.

They swore vengeance against him, and spent the next session trying to track him down. They never did find which kingdom he belonged to, alas.

It was years before I understood that D&D players, at least that batch in the 1980s, had no concept of medieval hierarchy that didn't suit their desires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sos1 wrote:

It was years before I understood that D&D players, at least that batch in the 1980s, had no concept of medieval hierarchy that didn't suit their desires.

Hey, I resemble that remark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't think hate has anything to do with it. They have butchered hirelings for sport as far as I can tell. I usually have weapons confiscated at the gates so we can get through a quick dialogue before the slaughter begins anew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
Archduke Norris Aella Aledon
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had that happen... several times. None particularly memorable.

More memorable was the opposite... redeeming the villains.

(A PC pursued a romance with King Mark of Cornwall... and made him an ally of Arthur in a Pendragon game. Another PC prevented Mordred's rebellion...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most notably an innocent WFRP boatman who had a habit of helping them out and turning up in every port. They thought he MUST be chaos or a spy or some such if he kept on crossing their paths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Boot Hill campaign scenario where the players were hired by a sheep rancher to protect his land from a rival and encroaching cattle rancher. The sheep rancher had a legal deed to the land that his stock was grazing on and the rival rancher was acting illegally, ultimately trying to force the sheep rancher off the land.

What the NPC sheep rancher did not know, and neither did the players, was the 'cattle rancher' was a leader of big time criminal gang and the cattle ranch was his effort to establish a legitimate base and life for his exploits, which also extended into real estate development and investment in the nearby town.

The players decided to take a heavy handed approach to the cattle rancher and underestimated his resources, especially in the number of skilled gunman. Things began to fall apart with the first confrontation ending in a gunfight in which several innocents were killed and 1 of the players being seriously wounded. Though, the players did take out several of the cattle ranchers men in the exchange.

Unfortunately, the sheriff and local judge were on the payroll of the cattle rancher and the party ended up in big trouble, declared outlaws, and had 2 of their core members killed in a subsequent ambush and forced to flee the territory with a bounty on their heads.

The players were convinced they were set up by the sheep rancher and took upon themselves to revisit his ranch and killed him in cold blood, which kind of surprised me at the time as they took the loss of their characters with such emotion.

Though, as a GM, it did allow for the campaign to take an interesting turn as a party of outlaws with a bounty on their head. Gave me new material and storylines to work with to conclude the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
All the time?

Pete (has players who don't trust anyone)
ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sos1 wrote:

I had to think on this for a few minutes. And my theory is those kids who played D&D in the early 80's probably got their concept of high fantasy medieval authoritative feedback structures from Robert E. Howard.

Crom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I can think of. Most of the people I played with would befriend everyone they could. As a GM, if I wanted to be sure of fights I needed to use either real scumbags or mindless undead or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has an NPC who was NOT intended to be a villain ever become so hated by the PCs that they tried to kill him/her/it/them?
Yup. Our NPC "handler" who was the link to our supervillain boss.

I can't actually remember. I think he was just an annoying killjoy. Although it might have been because he was a bit hands-on and controlling about how exactly we carried out tasks.

We did. We planned it all out when the GM was on a toilet break, and when we were next alone with the NPC and not in immediate danger, we all drew automatic weapons and shot him repeatedly. The GM looked stunned and said something like, "well I guess he's dead then. I'm not even going to roll."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
Archduke Norris Aella Aledon
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
sos1 wrote:

I had to think on this for a few minutes. And my theory is those kids who played D&D in the early 80's probably got their concept of high fantasy medieval authoritative feedback structures from Robert E. Howard.

Crom.

Arnie's Conan is not Howard's Conan...

Howards would have stabbed them in the back, so as not to lose the weapon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
In an Ars Magica campaign, where several of us took turns GMing, I deliberately set out to play a jerk mage for a PC. At some point I realized he would make a great villain, so it wasn't a one-sided decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had more than a few cases where the patron has become a hated NPC even though he was not intended to be so and had been honest about what he knew up front.

The worst case though was a PC who became an NPC when the player went on nights. He was the only healer, so the GM agreed he could accompany us as an NPC. As time went on, he became more and more demanding that other players behave according to the strictures of his god. This hadn't really been the case when the player was in control. Anyhow, he eventually became so demanding that we hated him and he wound up getting killed when he demanded full shares of treasure after only healing after combat. One of our greedier players took exception and decided to try to kill him. His plan was to either get rid of the guy or die trying and come back as a cleric. He succeeded, but only barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No, the players aren't so kill-crazy in the campaign I'm running, it being Traveller, the end result is that some of them would die too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most of the rest of you, it was a "Mr. Smith" that wound up going from mission giver to villain / hated rival. This happened in my Palladium RPG campaign. The NPC merchant Bernard Blim sent the PCs to recover his merchandise from the Sphinx that was the actual owner. The PCs did not appreciate having been duped. I took their hate and ran with it, eventually deciding that Blim was an incarnation of Toth, who did not yet recall that he had started existence as one of the Old Ones, but who was starting to realize he had forgotten -something-. Sadly, it never fully played out; would've been a blast to run if it had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The D&D 3 adventure, the The Sunless Citadel, had an infamous kobold named Meepo. He wasn't a grand villain so much as a petty opportunist. He'd beg for his life, promise to help (and occasionally would), then try to run when convenient. Wasn't above filching a few choice items from the PCs if possible.

I was hoping to keep him around as a lovable screwup for a while. Unfortunately the party members did not agree, and he got run through with a bunch of pointy things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes!

Because he was just... so good... and so annoying! Gah, he might be a helpful font of information, but they would rather do anything than ask for his help.

Not yet... though plans are in the works... so someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere along the line early (1st level) in the current Pathfinder campaign we picked up a Monk who is still with the party (now 6th level). Since there are now 5-6 PCs on any given day. We don't need the extra muscle of the GM grandstanding with his own character. Being the only Lawful Good in the group I can't willing let him die and won't let the others do him in "by accident."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.