Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
186 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Dungeon Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
As we are getting close to the deadline, it seemed prudent to begin the random encounter table (falling under Z). Here's what I have so far. Apologies for the terrible formatting, I don't have the patience tonight to figure out how to do this right on the forum.

Edit: I've figured out the formatting on the wiki, though, so see the table(s) here:
https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together#...

First Edit: Feedback definitely welcome! Especially if you wanted something from your room to appear on this part!

I approve of the Spawn of Ogothug !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
vestige wrote:
As we are getting close to the deadline, it seemed prudent to begin the random encounter table

Excellent work indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
As we are getting close to the deadline, it seemed prudent to begin the random encounter table (falling under Z). Here's what I have so far. Apologies for the terrible formatting, I don't have the patience tonight to figure out how to do this right on the forum.

Edit: I've figured out the formatting on the wiki, though, so see the table(s) here:
https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together#...

First Edit: Feedback definitely welcome! Especially if you wanted something from your room to appear on this part!

I'd rather not have random #2 be weak gravity, as I think that might take away from the surprise of my room. But I'll not fight about it.

As a replacement, what about a wandering merchant selling cooking pots, wool blankets, flint, seasoned wood, and dungeonbred (small) hydra or troll steaks? If the merchant was also a ... well I can't remember it. I was going to suggest an underdark fey that is respected for it's healing. But some other race that screams hands off would work as a merchant you don't dare steal from.

Edit: it was a Gloura. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e But maybe they are too flighty and shy to act as a merchant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my room B needs a name. Inception room? It is at the beginning near 1 entrance, and the name hints at the gravity stuff without explicitly revealing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get this into the Wiki, but I wanted somewhere to start piecing it together before transfering.

It's a small narrow room, so I figured I'd go relatively straightforward.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Room O
The cave narrows before you. The uneven walls form a tight jagged 20 foot long path making it difficult for more than one person to pass at a time. Rocks, some a number of inches across, litter the ground, along with the skull of some unfortunate creature. The ceiling appears rounded, about 20 feet above the ground, leaving much of the room in shadows.

- Upon stepping within the walls of the room

A creature drops from the center of the ceiling, landing nimbly on two legs. The sound of talons scraping the hard stone can be heard. Both arms hold wicked looking longswords. A challenge screams forth from its beaked mouth.

The creature does not move from the center of the room. Upon approaching, it is noted that the knees and elbows of the creature freely hinge in both directions, allowing its weapons to face either side of the cave without turning. Its eyes follow any movement. A second screech can be heard, indicating another beak exists on the other side of its head, and likely another set of eyes.

Should an adventure come within five feet, they are attacked by the dual wielding opponent, which will never leave the center of the cave. If no one is within the walls of the room for 1 minute, the creature will jump quickly back to the ceiling, where it hangs upside down, watching and waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dragontrainer wrote:

Room O

Should an adventure come within five feet, they are attacked by the dual wielding opponent, which will never leave the center of the cave. If no one is within the walls of the room for 1 minute, the creature will jump quickly back to the ceiling, where it hangs upside down, watching and waiting.

If this were explicitly D&D, I'd say, also make this creature a Ranger with just enough levels to give it 2 weapon style and favored enemy humanoid human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I'd rather not have random #2 be weak gravity, as I think that might take away from the surprise of my room. But I'll not fight about it.

No problem, it's removed!

Quote:
As a replacement, what about a wandering merchant selling cooking pots, wool blankets, flint, seasoned wood, and dungeonbred (small) hydra or troll steaks? If the merchant was also a ... well I can't remember it. I was going to suggest an underdark fey that is respected for it's healing. But some other race that screams hands off would work as a merchant you don't dare steal from.

I feel like we already have enough disconnected elements in this dungeon so would like the wandering monsters to reflect what's already here rather than new elements. But no problem, I already have other ideas. For now I'll hold this open until we get the last batch of rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb

w o r k in p r o g r e s s

Location "N": The Offering

Tucked into the two alcoves and facing inwards, towards each other, stands a pair of masterfully carved obsidian statues. One of them depicts the god of agony, the other the goddess of comfort. Their eyes locked on one another in an endless gaze, they each hold a large bowl out in front of them. The bowl held by the goddess is filled with an iridescent liquid that gives off the faint odor of lilacs, while the bowl held by the god is empty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments are welcome. I'm thinking that the liquid in the goddess' bowl might bring healing, or perhaps a vision of the future, while putting a blood offering into the other bowl might grant some powerful boon while at the same time having the regretful affect of bringing about some sort of berserk state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Tucked into the two alcoves and facing inwards, towards each other, stands a pair of masterfully carved obsidian statues. One of them depicts the god of agony, the other the goddess of comfort. Their eyes locked on one another in an endless gaze, they each hold a large bowl out in front of them. The bowl held by the goddess is filled with an iridescent liquid that gives off the faint odor of lilacs, while the bowl held by the god is empty.

Comments are welcome. I'm thinking that the liquid in the goddess' bowl might bring healing, or perhaps a vision of the future, while putting a blood offering into the other bowl might grant some powerful boon while at the same time having the regretful affect of bringing about some sort of berserk state.

I like it. I suggest some kind of hint that would indicate (vaguely even) what to do with the empty bowl. Maybe the God of Agony is sculpted to look as though he were bleeding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
God of Agony

\nitpick

Gods aren't typically related to such trivialities or details. Perhaps a God of War instead?

Also, a typical callout here is to invite the heroes to use lore or knowledge based skills to gain insight into the situation. An inscription on the monuments might be nice, especially in an archaic language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Purplebroccoli wrote:
God of Agony

\nitpick

Gods aren't typically related to such trivialities or details. Perhaps a God of War instead?

In the real world, I agree. But there's a long tradition in fantasy RPGs of gods for trivial things. For example, take a look at Petty Gods: Revised & Expanded Edition, which contains hundreds of, well, petty gods. Taking just three examples from that tome, there is the god of broken things, the god of jade carvers, and the god of delusion and dissolution. Or, an adventure I just read had a god of river otters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Real world:
Lupe (Λύπη) "pain, grief, sadness"

Forgotten Realms:
Loviatar "agony and pain"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragontrainer wrote:
I'll get this into the Wiki, but I wanted somewhere to start piecing it together before transfering.

It's a small narrow room, so I figured I'd go relatively straightforward.

Room O
The cave narrows before you. The uneven walls form a tight jagged 20 foot long path making it difficult for more than one person to pass at a time. Rocks, some a number of inches across, litter the ground, along with the skull of some unfortunate creature. The ceiling appears rounded, about 20 feet above the ground, leaving much of the room in shadows.

- Upon stepping within the walls of the room

A creature drops from the center of the ceiling, landing nimbly on two legs. The sound of talons scraping the hard stone can be heard. Both arms hold wicked looking longswords. A challenge screams forth from its beaked mouth.

The creature does not move from the center of the room. Upon approaching, it is noted that the knees and elbows of the creature freely hinge in both directions, allowing its weapons to face either side of the cave without turning. Its eyes follow any movement. A second screech can be heard, indicating another beak exists on the other side of its head, and likely another set of eyes.

Just to check, since we were aiming to have this be system neutral, does any guidance need to be given on level/powers, or is it ok to describe the creature this way, and it's up the person that would be running the game to decide how to stat it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

I like it. I suggest some kind of hint that would indicate (vaguely even) what to do with the empty bowl. Maybe the God of Agony is sculpted to look as though he were bleeding?

I did consider having some sort of needle sharp protrusion from the bowl, which one so inclined could puncture their skin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Purplebroccoli wrote:
God of Agony

\nitpick

Also, a typical callout here is to invite the heroes to use lore or knowledge based skills to gain insight into the situation. An inscription on the monuments might be nice, especially in an archaic language.

I considered the Pathfinder pantheon when choosing the gods. There's definitely some pretty specific gods there, so I did feel comfortable with that.

Yep! I should spell it out that players gain garner knowledge from Lore and/or Knowledge check type stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Version

Tucked into the two alcoves and facing inwards, towards each other, stands a pair of masterfully carved obsidian statues. One of them depicts a muscular, brutish looking man, the other a beautiful woman with a gentle presence. Their eyes locked on one another in an endless gaze, they each hold a large bowl out in front of them.

The bowl held by the woman is filled with an iridescent liquid that gives off the faint odor of lilacs, while the bowl held by the man is empty save for a thin needle-like protrusion, about six inches in length, that extends straight up from the bottom of the bowl. The sculpting of the obsidian is so precise that the needle is just as sharp as it would be had it been made from steel.

At the base of each statue several words are carved in an ancient language.

Game Master:

A successful Lore test, or other relevant test, would reveal the identity of the two gods. The man is the God of Agony, the woman is the Goddess of Comfort.

A successful Language, or relevant Knowledge type test would reveal what is inscribed on each statue.

God of Agony statue - "An ounce of pain is worth a pound of power."

God of Comfort statue - "Fear not the dark of night, dawn is certain."

Drinking the water in the bowl held by the goddess will heal any wounds or disease affecting the one who drinks the water. Any attempt to bottle, or otherwise contain, the water for transport is ineffective. You might fill up a waterskin, only to find it empty moments later.

If a character makes a blood offering into the bowl held by the god of agony, they feel a surge of power run through their body and soon find it difficult to keep their anger in check. For the next hour they must continually struggle to keep from entering a state of berserk rage and, if a fight were to break out in their presence, they would not be able to hold back. Once they enter this berserk state they will attack the nearest living creature at every opportunity, be it friend or foe.

Also, their strength during this period is incredible and they should receive considerable bonuses to any attack and damage rolls that might be made, as long as they are using a melee weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this is OK. I have added a brief Room J just in case.

Room I - Buried Treasure

Rubble is strewn across the cave floor, fallen from the fractured and pitted ceiling of the cavern. Some of the rocks seem to have been moved, shifted into a separate heap, excavated or lifted. A broken pick axe and a shredded back pack with its mundane adventuring gear contents are scattered atop the heap. A sturdy shovel leans against the north wall of the cave.

A closer inspection reveals a large blood stain beside the heaped rubble and a second blood stain with multiple blood spatters close to and across the west wall of the cave. Parallel drag marks of smeared blood can be followed from for a few yards heading westwards from the blood stain. The blood stains on the cavern wall contains small slivers and fragments of bone congealed within the dried blood. The stains are still relatively fresh, no more than two weeks old.

A careful examination of the cave finds a small brass key on a broken silver chain lost amongst the rubble.

Clearing the boulders and rocks in the cave takes one person 16 hours. If all the rubble is shifted a small subtly concealed niche can be found located at the base of the southern cave wall. Within the niche is a chest, that can be opened with the small brass key, containing 4,579 antique gold coins and four florid love letters, written on now brittle and faded parchment penned by Princess Helene Anoros to Count Lother Ionis.

Room J? - Troll Lair

Ideally Room J should be the lair of some hulking monster, maybe Boris the cave troll. Within the larder of Boris' home are the partially eaten trunk and legs of two recently deceased humans. Their gear and clothes have been piled up at the back of the cave and includes a bloodied and torn sketch map with a bold X marking a spot against the back wall of the rubble filled Room I.

Boris is currently well fed and can be coaxed or tricked into helping move the rubble in Room I. If Boris sees the gold in the treasure chest he will break any promises he may have made and will try to take it forcibly for himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Location “R”: The Chamber of Yorg The Priest

This small stone chamber is dominated by two things, a stone table covered in fungus ranging from less than an inch to up to 2 feet in size, and a large, heavily corroded, iron emblem to a god barely remembered partially destroyed on the north wall. Where the room was tunneled into.

This is the chamber of Yorg, a high priest. When the Young Priest from Anoros (See Room ‘S’) died, it was Yorg who was failed to resurrect him. When the prince was entombed, Yorg was chained to to the stone table to to die slowly in the presence of the emblem of his god and to serve as the tombs protector. When the symbol of his god was was destroyed he was freed from this obligation and his soul departed.

If the PCs investigate the Iron emblem they will find that it has corroded to the point where simply touching it will cause portions of it to crumble into nothing. In a small stone dish engraved with a finely detailed scene depicting angelic and daemonic figures battling. It is worth a modest sum of money if sold to a religious scholar, but little to nothing to anyone else.

If the PCs investigate the stone table, the moment a single mushroom is touched every mushroom will deflate simultaneously filling the room with spores and a low raspy voice will say “Yorg.” Anyone in the room when the mushrooms deflate will have a moderate chance of being slightly weakened for 1d4 weeks from the effects of the spores. Once the mushrooms deflate and the spores are allowed to settle for a few minutes. Yorg’s skeleton still clutches his sacrificial dagger. It is magically razor sharp, and will not dull, but anyone who is not a follower of Yorg’s faith with have a continuous string of minor bad luck as long as it is in their possession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added I, J, N, and R to the wiki, and I updated the random encounter table.

It's now September 1...we're just missing a couple of rooms. What's next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviewing the thread and the wiki, it seems we are missing:

ROOM A -
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Edited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
vestige wrote:
What's next?

I hate to be a stickler but I'd like to see the project move on. We said unsubmitted rooms would be marked empty, no? And each author could always spend weeks polishing and tweaking. The project would never cease.

Can we call it "good enough" as is? Or a final round of editing and then done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will find Room O towards the top of this page of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Z is the random encounter table, so that is added already. We are then only missing A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it seems like we are DONE.

Room A is a bleak, forbidding, frightful orifice with stairs leading down. (e.g., Empty).

Shall I begin PDF-izing the Wiki?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Quote:

I did consider having some sort of needle sharp protrusion from the bowl, which one so inclined could puncture their skin

Excellent! Nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.