The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game
The Armitage Files
A Taste For Murder
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Curse of Strahd
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Spawn
DDAL00-02: Lost Tales of Myth Drannor
Game Trade Magazine (Issue 213 - Nov 2017)
Deities & Demigods
Trail of Cthulhu
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Trollbabe
B10: Night's Dark Terror
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names
Drakar och Demoner (3rd Edition)
City State of the World Emperor
De Profundis
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Fiasco
De Profundis (2nd Edition)
It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Game Master's Kit
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The Quiet Year
The Morrow Project 4th Edition
Beyond the Rim
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Fellowship: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Ten Candles
Warriors of Destiny
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition) Kickstarter Slipcase
7th Sea Core Rulebook
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Symbaroum Advanced Player's Guide
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
186 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Dungeon Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
That'll depend on downeymb and/or kezle - if A or Y are defined as "entrances" or if either or both of them "descend to the next level" (or whatever). If they do that, then it'll be up to the DM to decide what that next level is, etc.

Likewise, if "the surrounds" notes there is something else then of course there's something else.

I guess what I'm trying to do is to not set myself up as an authoritative voice in a collaborative process? So I'm trying to not answer as many questions as I can. Can't? Wow, the triple negative of that is hard to parse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, Y is an exit (or possible entrance) to the top of the bluff (as per The Surrounds), so it won't take you to another level.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was waiting to see if anyone produced a room with some aggressive boss monsterish things. So far we have some kobolds and some goblins, my room concept has an imprisoned conman that someone else in the complex thinks is a true prophet
The added point is that this conman thing would rather not be there.

Is anyone committed enough to an aggressive powerful monster that I could use as the imprisoner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:
So I was waiting to see if anyone produced a room with some aggressive boss monsterish things. So far we have some kobolds and some goblins, my room concept has an imprisoned conman that someone else in the complex thinks is a true prophet

Is anyone committed enough to an aggressive powerful monster that I could use as the imprisoner?

(my room is done, so this is just a suggestion)

What about an intelligent giant spider? While wrapped up from the shoulder down (or confined to an alcove with a heavy stranded sticky door) the conman dispenses "wisdom" to the goblinoids that visit while the spider is away. But the wisdom to cut his bonds doesn't trump their desire to not get eaten. It was his attempt to smooth talk his way past the spider that got him in trouble.

A spider that's infatuated with him. Or maybe she thinks he's a prophet too, and is holding him until he bestows the blessings of his deity on her, or reveal some secret of the dungeon she wants to know (but he doesn't).

A spider that prefers to hunt creatures outside the dungeon, but that the dungeon denizens are afraid to challenge, so they sneak in to visit when she's away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Scholes
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Room Q: the Grotto

This cavern is occasionally flooded (10% chance that the water level is high enough to impede movement), and smells distinctly of damp and corrosion. If the water level is low, an assortment of bones and pieces of metal are visible, scattered across the floor in a haphazard manner. Examination of any reveals obvious signs of corrosion. Players deliberately searching among the pieces of bone and metal will discover the following items of interest: a bracelet made from two small silver spoons that exudes a faint aura of necromancy, a bone dagger that seems to scream when it is picked up, and a jade ring that feels permanently cold to the touch. No other items here are salvageable.

Canker Ooze

The cavern is the lair of a large, extremely viscous, green-black ooze. There is a 20% chance that it is elsewhere in the dungeon, hunting, but if it is present, it inhabits the smaller chamber at the rear of this cavern. It will not attack a large party, instead preferring to ambush individual prey. If a single character enters this area, the ooze will attack it (the ooze always has the element of surprise in this chamber). Otherwise, it will leave players alone, although it may follow them when they leave, and ambush them elsewhere (or simply feed on the corpses of any monsters they defeat). The ooze consumes organic material and non-magical metals, including armor worn and weapons wielded by adventurers. It is an intelligent predator; if it is outnumbered or outmatched, it will attempt to disengage and squeeze through one of the many cracks in the walls of the smaller chamber to escape.

(still working a bit on this one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
oberon166 wrote:
Canker Ooze

Canker Ooze. That makes me happy. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Room S - Tomb of the Anoros Prince
... Anoros Prince in his jade armour...

I would consider this the boss of the level most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
First draft below.

The Surrounds

Thus, the top of the bluff is now covered with old building stones strewn about as a child might toss her blocks onto the floor. Over time, this area has become overgrown with thick and thorny rose-bushes, remnants of the exotic plants that the Anororim once enjoyed. These rose bushes are so thickly entertwined that getting to any potential entrances to the catacombs of the citadel WHICH COULD BE Y OR SOMETHING Y LEADS TO? is both difficult and hazardous.

Any feedback welcome.

Is the map we're working on The Catacombs, or is the catacombs a lower level?

I posted it that way because I didn't want to require Y to be an outside entrance because I wasn't in charge of Y. But in my mind, Y leads to the Rose bush area on the top of the cliff, and A leads out onto the cliffs themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clark, it seems to me this project has progressed to the point where having things all in one document (for example, a Geek wiki page) as opposed to spread out across different posts might be useful. Is that out of turn? Could I help setting that up it it is useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
Red Wine Pie wrote:

What do people think about this format, with a summary and the full text of the room?

I like it. I got to thinking it might be helpful to put the room description in one font (or bold, or italics), and any mechanics of the room in another. Nicely done.

I did a little experiment this week in my home game that might be of interest. I had to write a set of tunnels in a hurry, and my rough draft was its usual, dense self. The creatures and NPCs in and around it were a little more involved than I enjoy doing in a hurry. Anyway, I decided to apply some of the same kind of minimalist edits that you all have been doing here, only I wanted to preserve most of the original text in case my rush edit job messed up something.

Since I rarely use or enjoy the infamous read-aloud "boxed text" thing, I used "boxed text" for the abbreviated version under each heading, and only took out the expanded text when I knew that the boxed text had covered it 100%.

Well, it ran very well. Admittedly, I'd just written it, but mostly while we were playing (an 8 hour session) I referred to the boxed text and the NPC notes. A few times I had to dig into the denser stuff for some of the details, but those were things I needed at the time. In particular, the boxed text helped a lot with keeping the overall complex in mind while running it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
a Geek wiki page

That sounds pretty cool, but I actually didn't even know it could be done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
a Geek wiki page

That sounds pretty cool, but I actually didn't even know it could be done!

I just created a page:

https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together

Anyone who is an RPGGeek member should be able to edit it, I think.

Anyone can create a new page, you just have to go to an existing page, edit it, add a link to a new page, then save. click on the link, new page created.

If I have time tomorrow, I can go through this thread and start transferring the room descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Anyone can create a new page, you just have to go to an existing page, edit it, add a link to a new page, then save. click on the link, new page created.

Actually it's even easier than that...just go to your browser's address bar, type

https : // rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Page_Name_Here

(but without the spaces, and with the name you want in the last part), and the page will magically appear.

Presumably you have to be logged in to make this work, but I didn't check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've copied all the descriptions, I think, to the wiki page:

https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together

I did not change formatting except on the area titles a bit to make them consistent, and some formatting got lost in the cut and paste. I used the last posted version where more than one had been used.

I'm sure I have missed some, so please check and make sure your stuff has been transferred. If it hasn't, you should go ahead and transfer it yourself. Also, if you have drafted your section and I missed you, please make your entry in the Contributors list bold.

I suggest that from this point forward, all actual text of the descriptions should go onto the wiki page as well as all edits, and this thread be used for feedback and comments, linking to the relevant section of the wiki page. But that is just a suggestion.

Now that it is all in one place, I can actually read it all and maybe have some feedback. But at first glance, wow, there is a lot of awesome in there!

As an aside, on overall structure:

* I really like the idea of three bold sentences, then further details, like Eric did for area S.
* I think that monsters should be pointed out in the text, but then maybe have a somewhat separate description, like Oliver did for area Q.

EDIT: I've taken a stab at formatting area S as described above. See what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for setting that up! I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to subscribe to a wiki?

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've edited Section S and added '''bolding''' for the creatures in the room - I also note Section U has a copy of the same text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
Thanks for setting that up! I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to subscribe to a wiki?

God bless,
Kezle
Not easily. There is no "subscribe" button I can find.

However, there is an RSS link on the history page. This is it: https://rpggeek.com/wiki/rss/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together

So, if you use an RSS feed of some sort you would get notified. I'm going to try that and see how it works. EDIT: just tested and it works quite nicely, shows you exactly what changes were made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Kezle wrote:

God bless,
Kezle
Not easily. There is no "subscribe" button I can find.

However, there is an RSS link on the history page. This is it: https://rpggeek.com/wiki/rss/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together

So, if you use an RSS feed of some sort you would get notified. I'm going to try that and see how it works. EDIT: just tested and it works quite nicely, shows you exactly what changes were made.

Perfect, thanks!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
Room M

This room houses a wealth of bizarre items. Shelves and piles ooze mundane, exotic, and occult items. Bitter incense wafts across the area, being emitted from at least a dozen clay censers placed at points where the encroaching clutter provides enough clear space to place one. The smoke is thick and limits visibility. An ornate gothic altar of solid marble is at the north end of the cavern. This is flanked by two magnificent stone angels, each holding a gleaming trumpet. Strange and occult items are in cascading piles off the altar, and a multitude of the mundane is draped over the angels.

The room is inhabited by two creatures, the human Xirit, and the half goblin half spider monstrosity known as “Regent Ogothug”.
Xirit is a nervous charlatan. During conversation he stammers and continually scratches at the red rash on his arms and neck. He is a charlatan and was playing at being an oracle when he accidentally convinced Ogothug he was the real thing. Then one of is ramblings made Ogothug believe that Xirit would save Ogothug’s life if the two remained close. Xirit wants to fulfil this ‘prophecy’ in the hope that he will be set free.

Ogothug has the top half of a goblin and the bottom half of a spider. She remains on webs in the ceiling. The bitter smoke usually hides her from those on the ground. She possessively counts all of the items in the room as his own. Ogothug finds rough treatment (even that of Xirit) to be amusing, but she doesn’t want the oracle to die just yet.

The altar and statues are of human construction and clearly belong in a cathedral.

The items in the room have been paid by other forces of chaos that have come to see Xirit’s divine wisdom. It is a collection of useful and useless items that the DM wishes to use, and some suggestions
1) 100D100 copper pieces.
2) 10D100 silver pieces
3) Stuffed horse head (missing left ear)
4) Golden fire poker bent at 90 degree angle
5) Orc wardrum at randomly lets out a short beat every d10 minutes.
6) Bad taxidermy human heads
7) Sprawling mess of incense nuggets
8) Silver death mask in shape of jaguars face
9) Bronze hand mirror that never shows the wearer’s reflection
10) Gaudy pink vase that if shaken emits pallid smoke for d6 minutes
11) Kobold frozen with Flesh To Stone
12) 13 filigree plates each with a chalked symbol of the pentagram on them.
13) Tombstone of and elf with a future date of death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
jodokast wrote:

What about an intelligent giant spider? While wrapped up from the shoulder down (or confined to an alcove with a heavy stranded sticky door) the conman dispenses "wisdom" to the goblinoids that visit while the spider is away. But the wisdom to cut his bonds doesn't trump their desire to not get eaten. It was his attempt to smooth talk his way past the spider that got him in trouble.

A spider that's infatuated with him. Or maybe she thinks he's a prophet too, and is holding him until he bestows the blessings of his deity on her, or reveal some secret of the dungeon she wants to know (but he doesn't).

A spider that prefers to hunt creatures outside the dungeon, but that the dungeon denizens are afraid to challenge, so they sneak in to visit when she's away.

I may have used the spider idea.

My pathfinder bent shows, I wanted to list thirty different items that could be found in the room. Maybe I'll add some book titles at some stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:
Room M
Copied this over to the wiki and marked your name as draft submitted, John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I slapped a name on my Room K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keep On Gamin'
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like my room entry will come down to the wire as far as the deadline. I'm going to try and work on it tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we are getting close to the deadline, it seemed prudent to begin the random encounter table (falling under Z). Here's what I have so far. Apologies for the terrible formatting, I don't have the patience tonight to figure out how to do this right on the forum.

Edit: I've figured out the formatting on the wiki, though, so see the table(s) here:
https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Dungeon_Together#...

First Edit: Feedback definitely welcome! Especially if you wanted something from your room to appear on this part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:
Purplebroccoli wrote:
jodokast wrote:

I may have used the spider idea.

My pathfinder bent shows, I wanted to list thirty different items that could be found in the room. Maybe I'll add some book titles at some stage.

I like it. I certainly don't want to be the first person in the party to encounter this spider. Let the Halfling go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.