Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
186 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Dungeon Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
I think I wrote a novel for my room...

Personally, I like less-is-more for rooms. But the fun of this kind of project is in watching what others make.

Sadly, that was pretty much what I consider less... the least amount of info necessary for the room in order to solve the puzzle...

I do love how so many of us have water related rooms! I have been holding off on reading about the other locations until I finished my write-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see both, several rooms with goblins and kobolds, and a semi-real ecosystem (water, food, eating utensils, bedrooms, trash, etc). I'm curious as to the total tally on monsters at the end. So far, not bad for little coordination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You - Item #3

Dear Dyson Logos,

Thank you for making such fantastic maps which inflame the imagination and inspire hours of fun, not only from adventuring through such maps, but from filling them with the many sundry items which adventurers crave to find.

Particularly thank you for making so many of your maps free to be used, reused, modified, remixed, mangled and published. We very much appreciate having such a wonderful resource!

We have chosen The Breached Fortress of Anoros for our collaborative dungeon. Hopefully we will not be mangling it, and our meager words will provide the living ecosystem it so richly deserves.

Again, you have our humble thanks that we could use such a map for our purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Room Y - Thorns of Freedom

Inside:
A cramped tunnel where the war between the citadel and the Earth King never ended. Dirt ruptures the remains of stone walls which have just enough strength left to keep the sagging ceiling from surrendering to its fate. A creature blocks the passage halfway between the long conquered stairs, grinding ever so slowly through the old stone wall. The spotted light of the exit but feet away illuminates its ridiculous attempt to burrow to freedom.

Creature:
A cracking koblem: rock golem/living armour as imagined by the burrowing kobolds of the Earth King. The kobold inside is long dead but the semi-animate rock has strangely gained more life over the many years trapped in this tunnel.

Blind (No eyeholes). Very rudimentary intelligence. Communicates with knocks and only 'sees' via rough echolocation (thanks to which it is aware of the unseen dangers outside (see next section) and hence is trying to dig alternate route). Will attack if its digging is disrupted but otherwise neutral.

Treasure:
There is an eroded stone in the kobold's skeleton where its stomach once was. It is a crude alchemical trigger which appeals to earth (or stone or crystals, depending on type) to encase the swallower and animate in a ritual. Failed rituals may result in earth bursting from the inside out around the swallowed stone. Its secret could be reverse engineered by an alchemist (Arthang in Room W might assist). Anyone loyal to the Earth King would pay handsomely for it. Followers of Anoros would destroy it (and anyone who knows its secret).

Outside:
The tunnel coughed up its dirt and stone under the rose bushes stranglehold, revealing this entrance after years of being sealed away. Splashed around the top of the bluff like split blood are the giant descendants of the Anororim's exotic roses, petals large enough to lie on engulfed in a smothering fragrance.

Creatures:
Giant Rose Mantis have grown in proportion with their host plant and are nigh impossible to spot while they pose immobile against the flowers, their aloft claws indistinguishable from the skewering thorns around them. The scent of the roses masks the stench of any shredded leftovers from previous meals staked out on the thorns (providing plentiful fertiliser for Namcarrow, the ghostly gardener. See The Surrounds). Namcarrow loves nothing more than these roses, sad but treasured reminders of his past, and would sooner lose his soul than see them damaged. May be appeased with exotic flowers like those that used to be grown here [FIND SOMEWHERE IN CITADEL?]

First draft. Doing my best to weave in a bit of history and what I have seen mentioned so far. Never tried writing a dungeon room before though so I'm not quite sure how to format it. Feedback welcome!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Today I want to be a hypocrite.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
Room W (aka The Absent-minded Alchemist). (Revised Version)

Opening the door to room W reveals a riot of glass and flame -- it looks like Rube Goldberg became a pyromaniac alchemist. Most of the room is covered in rubble from a previous explosion. The front of the room has two benches and a desk.

Arthang is a large and looming presence in the room. Typically Arthang will be behind the desk on a rickety stool. Mounted beneath the desk is a metal tube which can track those entering the room and bathe them in fire if needed.

Glithor is a tiny alchemist who is very friendly. Glithor knows alchemy but most of the time will advise blowing things up, setting them on fire, or both.

In a conflict, Arthang will prove adept with a wickedly curved blade and Glithor will throw bombs and use spells. If pressed, each has a potion that shrink them to 1/4 size and they will escape into the rubble to hide. Arthang also has potions to increase strength and double weapon attacks per round.

Searching the room will turn up those potions as well as two firebombs and a potion of sleepiness which explodes in a 10' radius. There's also about 290 silver and 50 gold in the room. Most of the alchemical fittings are cracked or broken and would not be easy to sell or transport.

(Feedback Still Welcome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Room K (Draft 2 - With input from Bryce0Lynch)

There is rotted wooden table and two stools covered in lichen and plump, fist sized, burlap colored puffball mushrooms. Bits of grayish lichen grow around cracks in the stone wall and floor.

If the mushrooms are disturbed by casual handling or sharp blows like combat, they will release a cloud of spores causing a sneezing fit in anyone exposed.

A cautious adventurer could take a knife or dagger and carefully slice away a thin layer of the rotted wood to remove a puffball. Six mushrooms can be harvested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
Purplebroccoli wrote:

There is rotted wooden table and two stools covered in lichen and plump, fist sized, burlap colored puffball mushrooms. Bits of grayish lichen grow around cracks in the stone wall and floor.

Plump is REALLY good.

If you wanted to challenge yourself you could concentrate on just these two sentences and try and pump it up to be even more evocative. Maybe take an adverb and turn it in to an adjective or something to get potential energy across in their state. idk. If you could modify words, delete, and only add 3-4 new ones, what would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sdonohue wrote:
Room W (aka The Absent-minded Alchemist). (Revised Version)

Opening the door to room W reveals a riot of glass and flame -- it looks like Rube Goldberg became a pyromaniac alchemist. Most of the room is covered in rubble from a previous explosion. The front of the room has two benches and a desk.

(Feedback Still Welcome)

Nice riot of glass & flame!

I'd say that you & PurpleB both have the core of your rooms down. If you were to spend more time on it I would challenge you with the same thing: With just these three sentences in mind, how can you modify, delete, and add no more than a few words to make it even more evocative? what's the glass like? What's the flame like? The rubble? acrid? etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce0lynch wrote:
Purplebroccoli wrote:

Plump is REALLY good.

If you wanted to challenge yourself you could concentrate on just these two sentences and try and pump it up to be even more evocative. Maybe take an adverb and turn it in to an adjective or something to get potential energy across in their state. idk. If you could modify words, delete, and only add 3-4 new ones, what would you do?

I considered the words "anxious" or "pregnant" to describe the puffballs. Anxious might convey the volatility of the mushrooms. I might remove the coloring and use anxious. I get impatient when reading a lengthy list of adjectives. Perhaps the player can fill in the color with his imagination or ask the GM.

As for the lichen, I'd say it "sprawls." The room is alive with fungal growth: anxious plump puffballs and sprawling lichen. Tangled, sprawling lichen.

I will put it all together now.

There is rotted wooden table and two stools covered in lichen and plump, fist sized, anxious looking puffball mushrooms. Tangled lichen sprawls from cracks in the wall, floor and ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Really REALLY good!

As for the lichen, I'd say it "sprawls." The room is alive with fungal growth: anxious plump puffballs and sprawling lichen. Tangled, sprawling lichen.

Now that's a picture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce0lynch wrote:
...and sprawling lichen...

Bordering on HPL there... dangerously florid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Room S The Brycian Reduction:

A dusty, echoing chamber where shadowy rows of misshapen lumps prove to be the heads and busts of buried clay figures.

Guarded by these figures is a dirt-covered jade-walled tomb, containing an ancient corpse infused with a confused and inquisitive spirit within jade armour.

The silence is broken by scrabbling sounds from the north, where two goblins and a kobold dig for treasure to trade for gold and security.

(Seems like 3 important points, so 3 sentences used).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
bryce0lynch wrote:
...and sprawling lichen...

Bordering on HPL there... dangerously florid.

HP Lovecraft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Room K (draft 3)

There is rotted wooden table and two stools covered in lichen and plump, fist sized, anxious looking puffball mushrooms. Tangled lichen sprawls from cracks in the wall, floor and ceiling.

If the mushrooms are disturbed by casual handling or sharp blows like combat, they will release a cloud of spores causing a sneezing fit in anyone exposed.

A cautious adventurer could take a knife or dagger and carefully slice away a thin layer of the rotted wood to remove a puffball. Six mushrooms can be harvested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
The Brycian Reduction

Hmm. Minimalism is not always the right answer. Elegance before anything. A room should be a thing. Not 10 things. Not half a thing. Not a shadow of a thing. Not a story of a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC and IMHO:
Unless multiple people make the same editorial comment, I'd tend to favor the original author's original room description. After all, part of the point of this exercise was to capture different people's ideas and phraseology, not to have everyone blended into sameness. And so far at least, I'm preferring original versions as opposed to what I've seen so far of minimalistic reductions that seem to me to have lost much of the original flavor. Have confidence in your original vision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Today I want to be a hypocrite.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice doesn't have to be taken no matter how good it is.

Anyone is welcome to make suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. It was another way of looking at the information. In particular where we are all writing separately, the type and amount of description and background are going to vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
OOC and IMHO:
Unless multiple people make the same editorial comment, I'd tend to favor the original author's original room description. After all, part of the point of this exercise was to capture different people's ideas and phraseology, not to have everyone blended into sameness. And so far at least, I'm preferring original versions as opposed to what I've seen so far of minimalistic reductions that seem to me to have lost much of the original flavor. Have confidence in your original vision!

Robert Wesley, the dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some items for a Random Item Table:

-A gold nail, 1 inch long.

-A clay mask or hand.

-A scrap of ancient parchment referring to the Anoros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A dusty, echoing chamber where shadowy rows of misshapen lumps prove to be the heads and
busts of buried clay figures.

Guarded by these figures is a dirt-covered jade-walled tomb, containing an ancient corpse infused
with a confused and inquisitive spirit within jade armour. Outside a skeleton holds the ghost Captain’s sword.

The silence is broken by scrabbling sounds from the north, where two goblins and a kobold dig for
treasure to trade for gold and security.

Room S - Tomb of the Anoros Prince

Thousands of years ago a young Prince from the time of the angelic Anoros died, and could not be resurrected. This was such a shocking event for a near immortal people that gods and humans came together to honour the prince and provide him with everything he needed for the afterlife. His body was laid on a golden bed and covered in a suit of jade. A sarcophagus of lead covered in plates of jade, held in place with golden nails was made to hold him for all eternity. An army of clay guards, servants and family were buried with the prince to help him to his sure reward. Alas, after chaos claimed the citadel tomb raiders were not far behind.

The tomb raiders dug from area P to come up at the northern end of this room, the hole disguised by piles of dirt and broken statues. They tore apart the sarcophagus, stealing the gold nails and stripping the golden bed. The jade they did not take, for only the king was allowed to buy or sell jade in those days. The body of the prince was left to rot. Just a few years ago, a spirit was drawn to the tomb. It inhabited the body of the prince, rebuilt the tomb from the inside and settled down inside the jade armour to wait...

The chamber sounds echoey and feels dusty. The 15 feet at the north end of the room is 10 feet lower than the southern end. The tomb is visible as a dust-covered green rectangular block within a pit 5 feet lower again. Lying in the dust close to the tomb is a skeleton holding the Captain’s Sword from Room T. The floor is of uneven dirt, with the heads and torsos of clay figures poking out. Ancient spears and swords, and other trinkets can be found by digging down around the guard figures.

Two goblins and a kobold live and work in the northern end and the tunnels below, digging for interesting artefacts to sell to the alchemists in Room W. Karvas fancies himself a serious archaeologist and will have a positive reaction to anyone who shows interests in the ancient history in the room. Brobding just wants to make enough money to get back to his homelands to the south. The kobold Zoborol is ignored by the others until they want something. The goblins make him do most of the work. Zoborol has found and hidden a magical scarab, though he does not know what it does. The white jade scarab protects the owner from all poison, but if later lost the owner suffers the effects of the worst poison they have ever taken. The kobold will sell this for half its value, as long as the goblins don’t catch him doing it.

If someone breaks into the jade sarcophagus (which takes 30 minutes but is otherwise easy to do), the spirit will raise the body of the Anoros Prince in his jade armour to face the intruders. The spirit has gained some of the memories of the Prince, and will act majestically at first. If attacked he will defend himself but not pursue retreating attackers. If he is greeted cordially he will ask to be taken to a priest of Anoros and will appear confused when he realises how much time has passed.

What do people think about this format, with a summary and the full text of the room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
First draft below.

The Surrounds

Thus, the top of the bluff is now covered with old building stones strewn about as a child might toss her blocks onto the floor. Over time, this area has become overgrown with thick and thorny rose-bushes, remnants of the exotic plants that the Anororim once enjoyed. These rose bushes are so thickly entertwined that getting to any potential entrances to the catacombs of the citadel WHICH COULD BE Y OR SOMETHING Y LEADS TO? is both difficult and hazardous.

Any feedback welcome.

Is the map we're working on The Catacombs, or is the catacombs a lower level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm. The map is THE map. The only map. There is no other map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:

What do people think about this format, with a summary and the full text of the room?

I like it. I got to thinking it might be helpful to put the room description in one font (or bold, or italics), and any mechanics of the room in another. Nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Uhm. The map is THE map. The only map. There is no other map.

Yes that is quite clear to me as no other map was posted. It seemed vague whether our dungeon was The Catacombs, or whether it was just a dungeon with a possible entrance to a catacombs at point location Y . I'll take it from your answer that the dungeon is likely The Catacombs. Maybe it should have been obvious to me, but it wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.