Monster Manual (D&D 3.5e)
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Ivinia: The Viking Lands
World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game
Eberron Campaign Setting
Minions
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Empire of the Petal Throne
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Deadlands Noir
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mass Effect RPG
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Princes of the Apocalypse
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Ten Candles
Explosive Runes (Issue 11 - Feb 2011)
Storm King's Thunder
Alien Archive
Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
Out of the Woods
Legacy of Lies
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
186 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Dungeon Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
RUDEolph.
badge
What do you call Santa's most impolite reindeer?
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
We can do more than one room? I'd also like Room "S" then. There's a pit calling to me.

I think Red Wine Pie beat you to it.

I must have misheard the pit then. (I thought I checked better than I did).

I'll take rooms T and V then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take room K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to buy a vowel.

An "O" please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
I'll take room K.

K?

K.

K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
sdonohue wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
We can do more than one room? I'd also like Room "S" then. There's a pit calling to me.

I think Red Wine Pie beat you to it.

I must have misheard the pit then. (I thought I checked better than I did).

I'll take rooms T and V then.

There could still be a pit... must be someway to get to that passage that goes under the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a brilliant idea! It appears I'm a little late to the party but I'll take Y, because why not?

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
RUDEolph.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A list of cave terms in case anyone needs it for their room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If 'X' is still free, can I add that to my list? I've had an idea

Edit: See my first post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the compass directions as applied to the map? Is Room A to the north and Room Y to the south? I'd like to get a sense of which direction is which, as it matters for the pillars in my room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
What are the compass directions as applied to the map? Is Room A to the north and Room Y to the south? I'd like to get a sense of which direction is which, as it matters for the pillars in my room.

Gonna leave that up to skalchemist who is doing the surrounds - which way does the map orient?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take the other entrance, room A!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
I love Dyson, I'm using his mega-dungeon for a Dungeon World game at the moment.

Since vestige beat me to Z, and Alain claimed U, I would like to claim the Surrounds (2). I would want to wait on writing it, though, until I see what someone writes A, B, C, D.

Hilariously, I was going to wait on filling in A until this was done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cosine wrote:
F, G, & H if all are still available.

Pick any three for me. This is moving too fast to keep up with who wants what.

If available, I'd like A and 1. If taking two is too much, can I have just 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
If available, I'd like A and 1.

You've got 1, G, and H

The first reply in this thread has all the "made" assignments; I've been updating it as they are claimed in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ctimmins wrote:
You've got 1, G, and H...

GLEE!

PS - I should have looked harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This is the first draft of section 1. I welcome critique or requests for revisions. I tried to keep it fairly standard to allow for other's ideas throughout the project.

The Breached Fortress of Anoros

Introduction

As the light of the Good Folk dawned on the world, the creatures of the night retreated to dark corners, unable to withstand the piercing gaze and strength of arms that opposed them. In this Age of Heaven, many great structures and accomplishments grew from their harmonious labors and enlightened thought. Such was the Citadel of Anoros, home, workshop, and cathedral to an angelic being from whom it draws its name.

But lights cannot burn forever. And darkness is always lurking, inevitable.

After ages of peace and prosperity, the people who shared in the warmth of the Citadel grew idle, envious, and corrupt. Wholesome works were replaced by decadent excesses. Righteous entertainments gave way to debauched revels. The face of Anoros turned its light away and a new age came to the Citadel. As the last was celestial, the new was infernal. The Age of Hell.

Wickedness inflamed the peoples. Warlords and usurpers rose up to take ever greater empires, only to see them shattered by rivals. In this time it was when Ghaz-ghum, who some had called the Earth King, used his tunnellers to undermine the catacombs and workshops beneath the Citadel to ruin its defenses and add it to his list of conquests. Walls that had stood a thousand assaults crumbled. And the Light finally went out.

But war cannot last forever, for to war is not to sow and only reap, not to grow but only ruin.

Amongst the shattered halls and lost passages, for a time empty save perhaps memories of glories past, the darkness that was driven back found a new home. One to its liking, built upon the decay of its ancient tormentors and their descendants' follies. A domain of Chaos for a new age. Now the people who dwell in the shadow of the ruins have new reasons to fear. Dark shapes steal across country or through grim alleys. Foul denizens seek converts and allies, drawing strangers and villains to the fallen Citadel. The townsfolk grow fearful and wish for heroes, saviors.

Will you heed their call?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take room C, if it's still unclaimed.

=== O ===

Notes
a) I’ve written this room under the assumption that Y is north and A is south (see here for reference);

b) as you’ll probably notice soon (if you haven’t already), English isn’t my mother language, so please feel free to correct every passage you will find unclear or containing mistakes.

Room C: The Waterfall

As you approach this room, you feel the temperature dropping a few degrees: the air is also fresher, tangy, loaded with the scent of damp earth, mushrooms and vegetation.
As you enter the room, you also hear the sweet metallic jingling of falling water.

1 - Room description

This room is a small natural cave between five and six meters high and about five wide.
Its vault shines with a daylike light, faint but warm, that is enough to illuminate the room evenly.

Its main feature is a small waterfall dropping from a crevice above the southern wall (the one pointed towards A): the water hits a couple of spurs of rock that also slow its fall before diving gently into a pool that takes up the lower half of the western side (the one pointed towards the dungeon exteriors).
From the pool, a rivulet springs and flows slowly into a hole in the northern wall.

Soil covers the floor and grass and small plants like ferns have grown out of the dirt: they’re not higher than a human’s leg; mostly in cracks and close to the walls, mushrooms and moss grow as well.

Everything about this room whispers calm and quiet.

2 - The pool

As the adventurers get closer to the waterfall, they feel vaporised drops of water floating in the air and smells hitting stronger their senses.
Now they can notice a small recess carved in the western wall: it is empty now but originally it may have contained the effigy of the protector of the water spring, now disappeared.

The pool is shallow, in its deepest point the water barely reaches a human’s hip.
Several goldfish swim calmly in the pool among the muddy stones; water lilies float gently on the surface.

No other noise can be heard other than the jingling water.

Whoever looks into the pool will notice a few coins resting therein, mostly covered by pebbles, dirt and mud: if the adventurers bother to pick them up, they’ll collect a handful of old copper coins and one or two silver coins, probably tossed into the pool, which doubled as a wishing well, a long time ago.
If they search the pool and are lucky, under a stone they might also find a very unmagical copper ring.

3 - The footprints

If the players take a look at the room, they’ll notice that a few plants and mushrooms have been treaded on recently: a character skilled in tracking might recognize the footprints of both small animals and humanoids. He might also spot a battered small wooden bucket with a worn rope tied to its handle laying in a corner, slightly concealed by a group of ferns.

These footprints have been made by the dungeon dwellers who use this spring to either quench their thirst (animals) or as a well (humanoids).
There is a chance that upon their arrival the adventurers might find a single creature or a small group of them watering at the pool: their reaction is based on their nature.

The longer the adventurers tarry in this room, the higher the chance said creatures show up; if the adventurers dangle too long, definitely a group of humanoids will attack them, as they fear the intruders have seized their water supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
This is the first draft of section 1. I welcome critique or requests for revisions. I tried to keep it fairly standard to allow for other's ideas throughout the project.

The Breached Fortress of Anoros

Introduction

As the light of the Good Folk dawned on the world, the creatures of the night retreated to dark corners, unable to withstand the piercing gaze and strength of arms that opposed them. In this Age of Heaven, many great structures and accomplishments grew from their harmonious labors and enlightened thought. Such was the Citadel of Anoros, home, workshop, and cathedral to an angelic being from whom it draws its name.

But lights cannot burn forever. And darkness is always lurking, inevitable.

After ages of peace and prosperity, the people who shared in the warmth of the Citadel grew idle, envious, and corrupt. Wholesome works were replaced by decadent excesses. Righteous entertainments gave way to debauched revels. The face of Anoros turned its light away and a new age came to the Citadel. As the last was celestial, the new was infernal. The Age of Hell.

Wickedness inflamed the peoples. Warlords and usurpers rose up to take ever greater empires, only to see them shattered by rivals. In this time it was when Ghaz-ghum, who some had called the Earth King, used his tunnellers to undermine the catacombs and workshops beneath the Citadel to ruin its defenses and add it to his list of conquests. Walls that had stood a thousand assaults crumbled. And the Light finally went out.

But war cannot last forever, for to war is not to sow and only reap, not to grow but only ruin.

Amongst the shattered halls and lost passages, for a time empty save perhaps memories of glories past, the darkness that was driven back found a new home. One to its liking, built upon the decay of its ancient tormentors and their descendants' follies. A domain of Chaos for a new age. Now the people who dwell in the shadow of the ruins have new reasons to fear. Dark shapes steal across country or through grim alleys. Foul denizens seek converts and allies, drawing strangers and villains to the fallen Citadel. The townsfolk grow fearful and wish for heroes, saviors.

Will you heed their call?

This is great! Very helpful to the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Gonna leave that up to skalchemist who is doing the surrounds - which way does the map orient?
Now that I have the introduction, and I know M.B. Downey was waiting on me to do A, I will write this tonight.

Caroline, I will not put compass directions into it, so feel free to determine the orientation of your room as you see fit. After you do, I will maybe go back and add some compass reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Room K (Draft 1)

Abstract: A source of volatile stun grenades and involuntary noise making.

Description:

This room has a damp and musty odor to it, which is unusual given there are two exists, and no obvious sources of water. Bits of grayish lichen grow around cracks in the stone wall and floor. Against the west wall is a round, rotted wooden table and two stools covered in lichen and brown puffball mushrooms about the size of human fist.

GM Notes:

If the table or stools are disturbed by a sharp blow or casual handling, the puffball mushrooms will release a cloud of spores, causing a terrible, minute long sneezing fit in whoever is exposed. Anyone suffering from such a fit will be at a disadvantage to all but the most mundane tasks. If a melee occurs in this room, there is a chance that the PCs or NPCs might disturb the mushrooms.

A creative and cautious adventurer could take a knife or dagger and carefully slice away a thin layer of the rotted wood to remove a puffball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
First draft below.

The Surrounds

The Citadel of Anoros was built upon a bluff over looking the straits called the Sandleveer, with commanding views of the mountains of Jarak-Naz on the far side and on the near side across the once lush farmland stretching as far as the River Tindo. Below the bluff, on the shore of the Sandleveer a small protected harbor once held the beautiful pleasure craft of the Anoroim, with a narrow path cut into the rock face of the bluff to MAYBE A? A paved road, wide enough to carry the vast ox drawn carts of luxuries to satisfy the tastes of the Anoroim, once led up to the Citadel from the River Tindo.

With the assault of the Earth King, Ghaz-Ghum, a century ago the landscape was drastically changed. Approaching across the Sandleveer, the Earth King's gigantic war engines pummelled the cliff beneath the citadel, breaching openings THAT MIGHT ALSO BE A? that the King's sappers then exploited, detonating the entire cliff and collapsing it and the water-side of the citadel into the Sandleveer. Soon, the Earth King's forces had put the inhabitants of the Citadel to the sword, and set about demolishing every wall and strongpoint, such that few stones were left on any other.

Thus, the top of the bluff is now covered with old building stones strewn about as a child might toss her blocks onto the floor. Over time, this area has become overgrown with thick and thorny rose-bushes, remnants of the exotic plants that the Anororim once enjoyed. These rose bushes are so thickly entertwined that getting to any potential entrances to the catacombs of the citadel WHICH COULD BE Y OR SOMETHING Y LEADS TO? is both difficult and hazardous. The thorns can cut one to ribbons if not protected, and hacking through the branches and vines is slow-going. In addition, the ghost of the chief gardener of the Anoroim, Namcarrow, haunts the area and controls the creatures (birds, insects, etc.) that live there when he sees fit. He will be very unhappy with any intrusion into his grief-stricken solitude.

Beneath the bluff, on the banks of the Sandleveer, what was once a pleasant beach is now littered with vast chunks of the former cliff face. However either by fate, design, or coincidence, the small harbor survived relatively unscathed, and has since become the fishing village of Gyllyngporth. The villagers have used the remains of the Anoroim pleasure craft they found there to build their huts and docks, and the few craft that were still seaworthy now drag nets in the Sandleveer. The path up the bluff also survived, broken in places, its fine carvings and balustrades now covered in lichen and seabird droppings. I THINK THIS PATH IS A WAY TO GET TO A, PART WAY UP THE CLIFF BUT I WILL LEAVE THAT OPEN FOR THE MOMENT There is a small but vicious flock of lesser sea-wyverns that has nested about halfway up the path in a crack in the cliff. Each one is about the size of a cormorant, and their venom is more dangerous for its paralyzing effects at such a great height then it is for its toxicity.

I COUNT SEVERAL MONSTERS THERE BUT WILL HOLD OFF ON DETAILS UNTIL I SEE HOW OTHERS ARE DEALING WITH THAT

------------------------------------
Thoughts...
* I think the "townsfolk" that Eric refers to are the inhabitants of Gyllyngporth, but I'm open to change on that.
* I've made it pretty darn difficult to get into the catacombs, but anyone should feel more than welcome to add a secret entrance of some sort the various denizens have used to get in to the place. I will add its surface entrance to the description above.

Any feedback welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Room W (aka The Absent-minded Alchemist). (Draft Version)

Room W is home to Arthang and Glithor. Arthang is a small humanoid (think goblin) who has some skills with alchemy. Glithor is a larger humanoid with an ill-temper and a strong dislike for most creatures who aren't Arthang.

Together they operate a small alchemy shop here. They are careful not to take sides in any of the disputes inside the keep, although they have a strong alliance with the denizens of room S which provides the only entrance to their "shop".

Much of the room is covered in rubble, the result of an experiment gone wrong a few months ago. It blew up about 2/3 of the lab leaving it choked with rubble. The parts that remain seem to be covered in dust and some of the glassware is cracked. There are experiments and potions being made everywhere. The room looks like Rube Goldberg became a pyromaniac chemist.

Near the door there are two long benches along the wall. There's a long desk arranged opposite the door which Glithor usually sits behind on a rickety stool. Mounted on the bottom of the desk is some kind of weird tube which can be used to fill the doorway with fire if Glithor doesn't like those who have entered. Those who are welcome are invited to sit on the benches and wait for Arthang to discuss their problems.

Arthang is typically found fussing over one of the experiments. The goblin is sought for both sage advice and alchemical marvels although lately it seems that most problems can be solved with some sort of potion, salve, unguent, or bomb.

Arthang is far and away the friendlier of the two and will often suggest tea or a meal as they discuss things. These will be brought, begrudgingly, by Glithor who will join in the snack.

In a conflict, Arthang will throw bombs and head for cover. Glithor will produce a curved-bladed sword and prove quite adept with it. Glithor will typically have two or three potions which might cause healing, increase strength, or allow double normal attacks. If pressed, Arthang will use spells to overcome their enemies. Both have potions of small size and will not be afraid to consume them and hide in the rubble to say alive.

(Feedback Welcome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
RUDEolph.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much creature data do we need to provide. Do we only list the name of the denizen or should be provide statistics for the creature also? DO we need to provide the creature stats in multiple system formats and if so, which ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work so far, plenty for me to build on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Now that I have the introduction, and I know M.B. Downey was waiting on me to do A, I will write this tonight.

Caroline, I will not put compass directions into it, so feel free to determine the orientation of your room as you see fit. After you do, I will maybe go back and add some compass reference.

My room will turn into a directional puzzle as it will be able to rotate... which is why the precise locations as to which pillars are where when the players first set eyes on the room matters.

For now, I'll have A be south and Y be north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.