Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a private play-by-forum game of John Harper's one-shot game, Lady Blackbird. The link to John's page and the free pdf for this game is here.

Rules:

Rolling the Dice
When you try to overcome an obstacle, you roll dice.

- Start with one die.
- Add a die if you have a trait that can help you. If that trait has any tags that apply, add another die for each tag. Finally, add any number of dice from your personal pool of dice (your pool starts with 7 dice).
- Roll all the dice you’ve gathered. Each die that shows 4 or higher is a hit.

You need hits equal to the difficulty level (usually 3) to pass the obstacle.

Levels: 2 easy — 3 difficult — 4 challenging — 5 extreme

If you pass, discard all the dice you rolled (including any pool dice you used). Don’t worry, you can get your pool dice back.

If you don’t pass, you don’t yet achieve your goal. But, you get to keep the pool dice you rolled and add another die to your pool. The GM will
escalate the situation in some way and you might be able to try again.

Conditions
When events warrant or especially when you fail a roll, the GM may impose a condition on your character: Injured, Dead, Tired, Angry, Lost, Hunted, or Trapped. When you take a condition, mark its box and say how it comes about.
[Note: The “dead” condition just means “presumed dead” unless you say otherwise.]

Helping
If your character is in a position to help another character, you can give them a die from your pool. Say what your character does to help. If the roll fails, you get your pool die back. If it succeeds, your die is lost.

Keys and Advances
When you hit a Key, you can do one of two things:

- Take an experience point (XP)
- Add a die to your pool (up to a max of 10)

If you go into danger because of your key, you get 2 XP or 2 pool dice (or 1 XP and 1 pool die). When you have accumulated 5 XP, you earn an advance. You can spend an advance on one of the following:

❖ Add a new Trait (based on something you learned during play or on some past experience that has come to light)
❖ Add a tag to an existing trait
❖ Add a new Key (you can never have the same key twice)
❖ Learn a Secret (if you have the means to)

You can hold on to advances if you want, and spend them at any time, even in the middle of a battle! Each key also has a buyoff. If the buyoff condition occurs, you have the option of removing the Key and earning two advances.

Refresh
You can refresh your pool back to 7 dice by having a refreshment scene with another character. You may also remove a condition or regain the use of a Secret, depending on the details of the scene. A refreshment scene is a good time to ask questions (in character) so the other player can show off aspects of his or her PC... “Why did you choose this life?”...“What do you think of the Lady?”...“Why did you take this job?” etc.

Refreshment scenes can be flashbacks, too.

Characters:

❖ Natasha Syri - Lady Blackbird
An Imperial noble, in disguise, escaping an arranged marriage so she can be with her lover...

❖ Naomi Bishop
Former pit-fighter and bodyguard to Lady Blackbird...

❖ Cyrus Vance
An ex-Imperial soldier turned smuggler and soldier-of-fortune, Captain of The Owl...

❖ Kale Arkam
A burglar and petty sorcerer, first mate and mechanic of The Owl...

❖ Snargle
A goblin sky-sailor and pilot of The Owl...

Flow:

This is a player-driven game. Once everyone has a character, your character sheets (grab them from the pdf) show you your traits, keys, secrets, and related tags. You have a little dollop of backstory there, but ultimately, it's up to you to weave all of these elements into motivations, actions, reactions, and expressions as you play.

As the GM, I'll be asking questions which will help to spur on specific plot development, though with the folks involved, I doubt I'll have to prod anyone to do anything--you're all very capable, forward-thinking roleplayers. I might introduce obstacles based on what's going on, but it's just as much your prerogative to make active assessments as to what your character wants to do, how your character does it, what obstacles might affect your character, and how to navigate the use of dice for all of that. This is not really too complex, but the point is that this is not a game where I issue GM Fiats and you simply respond! The only quasi-exception to this is that there are times when I'll ask questions that you must respond to. I'll put those questions in bold. All other questions are optional, but are recommended to answer in-character.

Everyone ought to choose a text color for their characters distinct from other players. Also, I don't see much of a need for a dedicated character sheet geeklist or anything like that for this game. Instead, we all have access to the pdf for this game (which is perfectly view-able in a browser as well as in print) and the small amount of necessary information there is not worth plastering all over our posts. That said, I recommend that should your character suffer a negative condition, it's worth noting that in OOC tags in your posts so everyone knows to keep them in mind.

Finally, the character advancement element of this game centers around gaining XP by hitting character keys, which represent the small existential drives of each character. You can also add dice to your pool (up to ten total) by hitting keys in lieu of gaining XP. If you believe you're successfully hit a key, note as such in OOC tags and I'll arbitrate etc...

Players:

Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ Wayfarer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time I discovered the newbie player initiative this one was full, thanks for bringing me on Jim! Now where's a pipe I can "Fix"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:
By the time I discovered the newbie player initiative this one was full, thanks for bringing me on Jim! Now where's a pipe I can "Fix"...
Should I take that as a claim for playing Kale? I've not determined how players will choose characters, but if you want dibs, you've got 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
All the characters look really interesting so I'm good with whatever you come up with Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Will check it out fully later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say once we have a full roster of five players, everyone can deliberate as to who wants to play what! So long as its agreeable with all of you, I've no care for the method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Wayfarer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never played anything like this, but I'm up for trying something new! Sounds cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
rwayfarer wrote:
I've never played anything like this, but I'm up for trying something new! Sounds cool.
I figured you would gel without issue in this game, Russ. You're too adept at strong characterization to mess anything up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Wayfarer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
rwayfarer wrote:
I figured you would gel without issue in this game, Russ. You're too adept at strong characterization to mess anything up!

Ah, shucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really cool. I'd like to play Snargle if that's okay? But I'm cool playing any character if anyone really wants to play him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting on confirmation from two other folks and have a few others in mind if they decline. We'll hold off on character selection until we're all set to get rolling. That said, Paul, if no one else is clamoring for Snargle at that point, he's all yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case I'm one of the people you're waiting on, I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingo!

I just thought you enjoyed lurking for fun and profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
And we're all set player-wise. Deliberate on characters as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Wayfarer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have no strong preference for who to play, but I lean towards Natasha (because magic) or Naomi (because tough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda do like Kale, because cheeky mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm up for playing anyone, honestly.

And just a warning: I'm on vacation, and the place we're staying has a really, really spotty Internet connection, so I might be scarce the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonpanella wrote:
And just a warning: I'm on vacation, and the place we're staying has a really, really spotty Internet connection, so I might be scarce the next few days.
No worries. We don't have to start ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
This far we have:

Paul -- Snargle?
Russ -- Natasha or Naomi?
Jeff -- Kale?
Andy -- ???
Jason -- ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like:

Choice 1 1custom5{Natasha; Naomi; Cyrus; Kale; Snargle} -> ( Snargle) -> ( Snargle)
Choice 2 1custom5{Natasha; Naomi; Cyrus; Kale; Snargle} -> ( Kale) -> ( Kale)
Choice 3 1custom5{Natasha; Naomi; Cyrus; Kale; Snargle} -> ( Cyrus) -> ( Cyrus)

I don't have a preference. In case we get deadlocked in a "no preference" stalemate, we can use the above to break it. If there is one character no one else wants, I'll take them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1122370. dragontrainer
  • 1custom5{Natasha; Naomi; Cyrus; Kale; Snargle} =
  • ( Snargle) =
  • ( Snargle)
  • Choice 1
  • Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 1122371. dragontrainer
  • ( Kale) =
  • ( Kale)
  • Choice 2
  • Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 1122372. dragontrainer
  • ( Cyrus) =
  • ( Cyrus)
  • Choice 3
  • Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:10 pm
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I heart custom GeekRolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to take Cyrus rather than Snargle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to post later tonight, if you don't hear from me then I'll be out of cell service till Thursday am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason is still on vacation so if you will be a few days delayed, Jeff, no worries. We can still iron out character choice in the meantime. I have an IC hook all set but I'll delay until we are ready to roll out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I have some internetting ability out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |