The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Star Crossed
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Highfell
Darkly Through the Labyrinth
D&D Essentials Kit
Building Tomorrow
OSR Solo
Ars Magica (5th edition)
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
Numenera Player's Guide (Revised)
Ironsworn
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
The Clay That Woke
Kids on Bikes
Beyond Bightwater
Modern AGE Companion
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Autumn Slipstream
Adventurer's Companion
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
The Tartarus Gambit
English Eerie
The Engagement of Adelaide Endicott
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
No Future
LOAD ""
Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
525 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Well of the Worm [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2017 [+] [View All]
horgboth
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A shriek pierces the wall of sleep, jarring you from your slumber. You jolt upright, trying to shake the fog from your head. You find youself in a reasonably-appointed rented room and remember that your travels had led you to a modest inn in the town of Barrowdown. Just beyond the town's edge lie the notorious plains of Barrowdown. Every spring and summer, armies of the neighboring barons converge on the long fields, clashing in battle in their games of war, destroying crops and soaking the earth in blood in the process. Scavenged arms and armor from the ravaged fields provide a secondary source of trade that somewhat offsets the often ruined farm yields.

In the hall outside your room, a commotion of panicked voices is steadily building.

Staying at the inn are the following adventurers:

Varja The Stingy Wizard, played by Dave (gonecase)
Markas Milner the Thief, played by Vadim (n0mE)
Salik, Cleric of Choranus, played by Adam (Spirit of '70)
Zeiros Yalos, Elven sage, played by Mark (Roplesaurus)
Gardol the Warrior, played by Mitch (otha62)
Norvin the Squire, played by Steve (vestige)

And so we begin...!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alarmed, Gardol quickly jumps out of bed and, knowing neither the cause of the shrieking or the commotion, girds himself for battle, just in case. He strides out from his room...

"What in the daylights was that?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's too damn early for this!", Markas thinks.

Markas didn't survive on the streets by running head first into trouble.

My gear was already prepared from last night for quick access and exit (as per the normal routine).
I look around my room for any access points either alternate exits out aside from the main door, or for a way to access the rafters.
Besides that I will also just listen carefully at the door while keeping it closed with my weight.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Varja the tax-collecting Wizard

Varja sits up. He has slept on the floor rather than pay for an extra bed.

"What's that noise? Can't they leave us in peace?" he says. He gathers his things and follows the others out into the hall.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
Awaking to a splitting headache, Zeiros immediately regrets the fourth goblet of the house red.

"Goddammit," he mumbles, sitting up in bed.

Fumbling for his dagger, he grabs it and moves to his door, cracking it open and squinting heavily at the EXTREMELY bright light that invades his room.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Salik wakes quickly, a flash of annoyance quickly fading as he shrugs into his padded vest. Opening the door to the room, he scans the hallway and calls out "The Peace of the Light upon all of you, friends. What so troubles you that you disturb us and yourselves at such an hour? Nothing happens but that Choranus sees it.".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norvin sits bolt upright at the first sounds, and immediately falls into a phlegmy coughing fit. Once he gets it under control, he stands and grabs his sword. On his way to the door he looks longingly at his stock of medicinal tea and coughs a few more times. Then he opens the door carefully and peers outside, trying to see what the disturbance is.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
horgboth
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those who venture into the hall find the innkeep, along with a few members of his staff and other guests, staring mouths agape outside the open door of the room at the end of the hall. One of the women comforts a sobbing young girl. The innkeep turns and says 'Well, aha, we appear to have an, ah, incident here...' in the tone of a man completely out of his depths. Inside the room lie the bodies of a family in all but one of the beds. The girl moans and says 'It was the worms...!' and once again breaks down in tears.

for readability, let's try use either boldface or colored text for speech and grey text for out-of-character comments and questions. https://www.rpggeek.com/thread/1008569/forum-formatting-exam...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Varja the tax-collecting Wizard

Varja peers at the bodies but doesn't get too close.

"Worms? Well, were they cooked properly before consumption, uh? Explain yourself further, miss!" he asks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Listening at the door, the commotion does not appear to be life threatening.

Markas comes out of his room to investigate.

As always, keeping his distance while observing his surroundings to the best of his abilities.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardol Warrior 1 HP 13/13 | AC 14 | Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will -1

Gardol enters the room and takes a good look at the bodies. He shakes his head and then waits patiently to see if the girl can explain further what happened...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norvin lets out a dramatic shout of anguish and rushes back into his room to retrieve his herbs before hurrying into the girl's room to check on her family. "If there is but a spark of life left, I have several herbs that may be of assistance - for tapeworm, ringworm, lice, and quite a bit more," he mutters to himself.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Salik strides to the end of the hall and begins to deliver the last rites of Choranus to the stricken family. Once done, he casts his gaze about the room, hoping to spy any possible clue about what may have happened to them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
Zeiros moves to the bodies to investigate.

As a sage, he has researched many strange phenomena - was this one of them?

Sagey Stuff 1d20 = (4) = 4
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1073551. Roplesaurus
  • 1d20 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sagey Stuff
  • Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 am
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norvin backs away quickly as the severe rituals of Choranus are invoked. He hides in the corner, trying not to look guilty, as the priest finishes his ritual.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
horgboth
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry guys, shortly after launching this thread, I started getting hammered at work and had a couple of late nights. hopefully better now.

The woman comforting the young girl fixes Varja with a glare that would freeze a boiling kettle in the middle of the afternoon heat of a late summer's day.

Salik's ministrations prove to be more relevant than Norvin's attempts at healing, as those who enter the room find that the bodies are clearly deceased. On closer inspection, the cadavers appear blanched and desiccated, as though the blood had been drained from them.

With more tender encouragement from the other adults present, the poor girl offers up her story in a rush of words: 'I was trying to sleep and I couldn't and then I heard something in the room making sucking noises so I pulled the blankets over my head but when I peeked out I saw worms crawling on the floor and out the window and then I hid some more and then I got up to see if Mommy and Daddy were ok and they weren't and now they're dead and ...', she lets out before breaking down again in a fit of anguish and tears.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"What's gonna happen to the kid?" Markas asks politely.
He remembers his time as an orphan and is concerned for the girl's future.

"Has this happened around here before?"


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardol Warrior 1 HP 13/13 | AC 14 | Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will -1

Gardol grimaces and waits for the girl to catch her breath.

"That must have been terrifying for you and I'm sorry for your loss...just how big were these worms you saw?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Varja the Stingy - Wizard 1
HP:7 Init: 0; Ref: 1; Fort: 1; Will: 1

Varja is used to getting vile looks in his previous line of work. He just shrugs them off. After hearing about the story from the child, he examines the window and floor to find traces of worms.

"Worms? Are you certain? Never heard of that kind of behaviour before!" he says.

Varja looks for signs of the presence of worms.
Intelligence 1d20+1 = (16) + 1 = 17

"Well, as for the girl, did the parents owe any debts? She could work as a kitchen maid scrubbing floors and cooking for their debtors. It's fate. Maybe it could even work out well for her!" Varja says.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1074051. gonecase
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (16) + 1 =
  • 17
  • Intelligence
  • Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:29 am
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
Zeiros pulls out his parchment and quill and begins jotting down anything of interest, listening to the various conversations and examining the scene.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norvin remains in the background, listening to the girl's story, before scurrying off to the kitchen to fetch hot water and making her a glass of relaxing tea. After a moment's thought, he makes one for himself as well.

When he returns he gives the girl her tea and then retreats. Zeiros catches his eye, and he begins to follow the elf around. "Do you see anything useful, good sir?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
Zeiros angles his parchment at Norvin, who sees it contains a series of markings. Whether it is written in Elvish, or is just random scribblings is not clear.

"Sometimes, I find that you don't know something is useful...until it's useful. Which is why I like to write things down."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absorbed in delivering the rights, Salik utterly fails to notice Norvin's reaction. He quickly moves to comfort the young girl, while asking her, "Do you have other family, Child? Someone to take you in and raise you?".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
horgboth
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The girl sips at the tea and calms somewhat. To Gardol she says 'They were big! Like doggies.' Varja notices that the windows are ajar and a thin film of slime leads up to them.

'No, no, never has something like this happened here. Though I did over hear some local lads talking about losing a few heads of swine, which they seemed to think had something to with the old well out near the Downs. They were deep in their cups though, so I gave it little mind. I'm terribly sorry, your stay will be complementary for the night.' the innkeep sputters, tugging his collar.

Just then a breathless scullery boy arrives with a older, well-dressed gentleman in tow. 'Uncle!' she shouts and immediately wraps her arms around his waist and buries her face in his robe. The man strokes her head and surveys the room, his face falling when his eyes come across the bodies. 'This shall not stand. I must have vengeance for my kin.'

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardol Warrior 1 HP 13/13 | AC 14 | Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will -1

"Sounds like this well needs to be investigated...think I'll head there first thing in the morning...anyone want to join me?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.