Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Bifford's Lady Blackbird IC - Newbie Initiative 2017 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] 2017 [+] PbF_started_2017 [+] [View All]
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi quickly grabs hold of some cubes and throws them after the rest Kale is loading. Short burst of power are Naomi's thing, so she works frantically to dump as many cubes as possible into the hold.

Sooner then they thought possible the cubes stack is depleting.

'Now what? Do we get in here to chuck them somewhere else, or can we first focus on getting away from those soldiers?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm standing on the edge of the ballroom at Count Marlowe's castle. Much of what's around is me isn't quite in focus; impressionistic shapes move, pause, move again, like a painting come to stilted life. I see this in the periphery of my vision, my eyes are drawn forward to Marlowe standing ten feet from me on the dance floor.

"Ah, little blackbird. Struggling to leave your nest. But why? Here, you have all you desire." He sweeps his arm to highlight the grandeur of this ballroom, this gilded world. "You belong here. You belong with me. You will stay here."

I hear the muffled sounds of gunfire, of strain and stress. I glance around, quick so as Marlowe doesn't notice, but he does. "Ah, little bird. Dismiss those trifling sounds, you don't hear anything but me, the sounds of my voice, and you will come with me."

BOOM. A louder explosion occurs, somehow very close to me in this opulent ballroom swarmed with the crush of the Imperial Worlds' upper echelon. Startled, I open my mouth, to say something, but I cannot. I am frozen in place, I cannot speak, but I feel my eyes widen. What is happening?

Marlowe moves closer. His eyes now glow deep orange as he looks to me, crooning to me, commanding me, "Come to me. Come back to me. Take my hand. Take it now, and you will come back to me. I will keep you safe. Come to me. Come to me."

More shaking and rattles. If Marlowe feels it, his stare does not waver. He lifts his hand, as if to take mine in the dance. Immobilized, I move forward, seemingly compelled by him.

I struggle to break the paralysis. I manage to snap my fan up, whipping it open, showing him that names have been written on every ridge.
[ooc] Alive + Imperial Noble + Etiquette + Dance + House Blackbird + 1 pool Target 3 6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) = 2

But you can see, Count Marlowe, every dance has been spoken for."

His eyes narrow in range; I snap the fan closed, but he sees the name, the same name written on each rib of the fan. He sneers, "I don't know who he is, but it was a mistake to let me see that!" As he reaches to grab my upper arm, a loud BOOM shakes the ballroom, the crystals tinkling under the vibrations. His attention pulled to the shaking overhead, I take every bit of what I can of me and pull myself from this ballroom, from his clutches.

I'm back on the floor of the hangar, my eyes still filled with the dark burning orange of Marlowe. I hear the faint hiss of his voice saying, "I will find him, and I will find you."

That voice burns through me as I see the others, hurrying around The Owl, and I begin to crawl towards it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1097856. funkdonut
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) =
  • Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 pm
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

An explosion rocks the hanger, coming from the vicinity of one of the other doors into the bay. Splintered metal screams in to the hanger, and several techs scream in pain as they get stabbed by sharp shards of metal.

Kale finishes throwing the last few bits of fuel into the hold and kicks the door closed, shouting to Naomi to "Get on board the Owl, and pull Blackbird back inside - she appears to have clawed her way back out onto the ramp!"

As Kale stampedes around the back end of the Owl and then up the ramp she hits the button that starts the slow process of the inner doors closing. Naomi and Blackbird have exactly 32 seconds to haul ass back inside. Meanwhile her talents were better utilized in the turrets. Big stuff was coming.

Screaming into the Comms she shouts, SNARGLE! Give it 20 seconds then get the blue-bloody-blazes out of here! And pull a Crazy-Daisy the second you lift off!"

As Kale starts the climb into the turret a group of Imperials push a large and very heavy gun through the mangled wreckage of the doors, which wreckage it obviously created in the first place!

Under her breath she mutters "Where the frack is Cyrus!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus hears what sounds like escalating noise through the thick hull of the attack ship. A few more explosions and tortured squeals of metal sound hollow and strangely empty.

Dragging himself through the ship, instead of finding the medical pack like he'd hoped, he found himself in the command hold of the ship.

"@$%#$!@#" He spat. The smoke had disoriented and turned him about.

Alive+Survivor+Touch+Endure+Medic+Scrounge (Target 2) Target 2, not trying to fix, just trying to deal with the pain. 6Custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 3

Cyrus shook his head... forcing back the pain. Now was not the time for self pity, his crew needed him.

Lady Blackbird needed him.

Grimacing, he hobbled to the command chair. He would never be the equal of Snargle when it came to piloting any ship, but he was more than capable of the tactics he had in mind.

He powered the ship up. It groaned and warning lights flashed, but these attack sloops were designed to power quickly for abrupt departures.

As soon as he heard the engine turn on, he pushed the throttle full forward,

And the ship abruptly accelerated, straight towards the external wall of the hanger. These Imperial war ships were incredible strong against external assaults, designed to withstand multiple explosive hits from devestating broadsides. But something blasting it's way OUT of them wasn't something generally deemed important to guard against. Of course, it wouldn't be good for whatever was being used as a battering ram either.

AS the ship picked up speed, Cyrus closed his eyes, and reached out with his mind and heart for Lady Blackbird. It was almost like he could reach out and touch her.

And then the attack ship smashed into the side of the hanger, a huge hole exploding out from the side, the ship vaporized instantly, but a hole about three times the size of the owl gaped.

And Cyrus was holding Lady Blackbird's hand.

Naked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1100121. straydawg
  • 6Custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • Target 2, not trying to fix, just trying to deal with the pain.
  • Mon Jun 5, 2017 6:20 pm
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as she heard Kale screaming about Natasha being outside on the ramp Naomi instantly dropped everything. She ran as quickly as she could and shoved Natasha inside the Owl without even properly lifting her.
On the ramp Naomi hears a closeby ship powering up. With no time to look for the source she and Natasha stumble into the hold through the inner doors.
"Natasha, what were you thinking? I just got you inside! Now sit still and get your act together and don't make me come and drag your ass out of trouble again!"
Naomi was just getting extra air to continue her scolding when suddenly Cyrus popped up out of nowhere. Startled Naomi gapes at him. It takes a few seconds for her to realise Cyrus is not wearing anything. Naomi starts to blush.
"Oh... hmm.. I'll leave you two to sort this out..." She goes to find Snargle or Kale to see if she can help.

Key of the bodyguard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The Owl lifts off the deck, the internal rear doors slamming shut and the ramp following suit a few seconds later.

Snargle's lilting voice comes over the comes, calling out, "Hold on tight to something, and fast! You have 3....2....1...." ......

Buying "The Owl" tag.
Alive + Pilot + Daring + Manoeuvring + Evasion + Tricky flying + The Owl + 2 pool = 9 dice. Target = 3 to do this tricky manoeuvre.
9custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) = 6 (Key of the Daredevil!)

.... and with the word "one" still making it's way into your brain the Owl rotates extremely sharply and quickly.

What was once down is now up.

What once was floor is now ceiling.

Your stomachs are in your mouths and your hearts are in your groins.

If you were not holding on tight you find yourself falling HARD.

Make me some sort of athletics or grab-hold check each of you - your choice just how you do that! (Snargle and Kale are strapped in!)

In the turret Kale, who had pointed the gun the wrong way, was now majestically facing exactly where she needed to be. She unleashed hell. She didn't care if she hit anything - she only wanted to keep those damned Imperials from sitting behind that gun and hitting them!

Alive + Mechanic + Efficiency + 1 pool = 4 dice. Target 2 for "covering fire". 3 to hit something.
4custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 0 + 0) = 1

Warning light! Blink, blink, blink! "Damn it! Snargle you were too hard with the stopping, she's jammed due to the inertia!"

Kale's eyes widen as she sees several Imperials move into firing position behind the heavy weapon gun on the other side of the hanger. Then there's an almighty explosion from in front and to the side of the Owl as the Imperial ship explodes.

Snargle slides the Owl out through the force-field as it crumples and the bird gains the black depths of space. With a push of the throttle Snargle aims the bird away from the Hand of Sorrow, which is looking decidedly worse for wear.

From the bridge area small bursts of of laser fire can be seen flitting back and forth as the crew and guards there let their paranoia take control and shoot on their comrades. The main bay is alight, torn and mangled with no working ships to be seen and the comms channel is remarkably quiet.

The Owl, still "upside down" compared to the Hand, flies off in a zig-zag route, heading for the Free Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1100263. Bifford
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 1 + 0 + 0) =
  • Mon Jun 5, 2017 10:05 pm
  • [+]
  • 1100264. Bifford
  • 9custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) =
  • Mon Jun 5, 2017 10:09 pm
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus hears Snargle's voice... 3...2...1...

With instincts born of thousands of hours working along side his crew, he lunge's to one of the harnesses strapped along the ship, holding tight to his Lady's hand.

He wraps his arm through the webbing that was installed for just such manuevers, and tightens his grip.

...and the world turns topsy turvy...

Alive+Survivor+Tough+Endure+1Dice = 5
Target 4 with injured arm 5custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0) = 2

The strain was too much for his injured arm, and he could feel his grip weakening.

Cyrus swing's Lady Blackbird up against the webbing, and her feet are ensnared, at least momentarily...

And his hands slip free, he feels himself falling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1100367. straydawg
  • 5custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0) =
  • Target 4 with injured arm
  • Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:12 am
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll give Kathleen one automatic success because of that action so her target is now 2.

If Blackbird wishes to save Cyrus as well as herself then her difficulty is back up to 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi was in one of the Owl's smaller corridors. When Snargle started his count down she looked around for handholds. In a quick improvisation move she ends up pinning herself into place by pushing against either side of the corridor with both hands and feet. must be a good english word for it, but I can't come up with it right now.

Alive+ex-slave+tough+endure+2 pool dice 6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 2

Naomi manages to hold on during the roll, but her injured leg causes her to slip and fall down as soon as the Owl is upside down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1100471. mebririth
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • Alive+ex-slave+tough+endure+2 pool dice
  • Tue Jun 6, 2017 11:14 am
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
We'll give Kathleen one automatic success because of that action so her target is now 2.

If Blackbird wishes to save Cyrus as well as herself then her difficulty is back up to 3.

I think I hit Key of the Paragon last time, forgot to say that

There is no way that this is how it ends for me after all this.

Spending 5xp for new tag, Fly.

As Cyrus slips from my grip, I kick myself free and send myself flying after Cyrus.

Alive + Spellcaster + Wind + Fly + 4 pool, I'm super wiped out still Target 3 . 8custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 6

I fly to Cyrus, grab him, cradle him as I keep us suspended as The Owl lilts and turns around us, cushioning him as The Owl lurches forward away from the Hand of Sorrow.

With the others distracted, I nuzzle the top of his head with my cheek. As the ship moves and he grips me around the waist, holding on with his good arm, I think, Whose name did Marlowe see on the fan?

Key of the Mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1100614. funkdonut
  • 8custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:52 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Naomi performs like Ninja of old, strung across the hallway like a bridge, as her world flips. At least, she performs that way for a few seconds, before her weakened leg causes her to intelligently slide down towards the new floor, dropping the last foot or so as the strain becomes too much.

At least she didn't do herself any real new damage, except for aggravating the wound she already had.

Naomi's thoughts head back to Lady Blackbird who had been left in the middle of the floor in a very large cargo bay with a very high ceiling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Lady Blackbird hovers mid-air, a naked Cyrus cradled in her arms like a wee babe. She holds all the power, all the grace, and he can feel her warmth and mastery against his skin. A gentle wind swirls around the both of them, gently ruffling and pulling at hair and her clothes.

What seems like an eternity later, but is most likely just a minute or so, Snargle's voice crackles over the comms. "I'll be righting the ol gal now, but slowly, so the artificial gravity doesn't go peat tong like with the Crazy Daisy. Can't do that move with the auto-grav-correct on, or the bird would pull herself apart. You should be able to slide down the walls while I right her up."

And with that Snargle starts to slowly turn the Owl 'back over'. It's a weird thing really, because in space there is no up and down. That said there is a perceived correct orientation and the Owl now slowly returns to that way up.

Naomi can ever so carefully slide along the ceiling until she comes to rest at the wall, and then down the wall until she is once more at rest on the floor.

Lady Blackbird and Cyrus watch as their world revolves around them, then she brings them carefully in to land on the floor of the cargo bay.

Kale and Snargle have spent the whole time strapped into seats and nothing much changed for them. Kale now unstraps herself and pads down the tubes to the cargo bay. She enters, and sees Cyrus naked in the Lady's arms and blushes, quickly hiding it and instead saying with the bravado of comrades, "Ah, I see you warped over here then Captain? It's always good to see All of you when you do that! hahah!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi joins Kale and returns to the cargo hold, worried about the state she's going to find Natasha in.
When she rushes in behind Kale she stops in her tracks, seeing an entirely different spectacle than she had feared. For a second she just stares at Natasha and Cyrus and then she bursts out in laughter. "Hahaha I was expecting... hahahaha something a bit... hahahaha more serious!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I slowly lower to the deck of The Owl, my winds buffeting me as I slowly lower. I can't lie, I know this looks impressive I as hold the much larger than me Cyrus as I drop down. I suppress the urge to do a superhero landing, smirking briefly as I regain my composure.

My feet touch the deck, and I quirk an eyebrow at Naomi. Elated at our escape and perhaps a bit punch drunk from the effects of so many big spells at once, I look at Cyrus's naked body, then Naomi, and say slyly," Cyrus is definitely MORE serious than I gave him credit for."

Gasps of laughter meet my little joke as I let Cyrus stand on his own two feet, and then I collapse onto the deck into deep, dreamless sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
All but Snargle are in the hold of the ship. Snargle comes over the comms and says, "Captain? Orders Capt? Where to?" and awaits a reply.

Cyrus's bare feet touch the deckplate, which is cold and rough under his soles.

Slightly off to one side Kale grins a triumphant smile, a trickle of sweat runs down from her temple and she wipes it away with a dirty sleeve, still grinning.

Cyrus should give an order to Snargle with regards a heading: The Free Worlds; The depths where the Sky-squids lurk; maybe somewhere else he knows of? The Lady B still officially wants to go to find Uriah Heap and has paid you to do so. But do you want that? You've just escaped the Hand of Sorrow but where would be safe?

Lady Blackbird is mentally and physically exhausted, dead on her feet - it's a miracle she's lasted this long.

Naomi is also the worse for wear, though she's had worse in the pits. She's deeply concerned for her Ladyship.

Kale needs to go put the fuel where it needs to be, rather than in the smuggler's hold where it is.

Now is the perfect time for a "Refresher Scene" with any or all of you. This is where you discuss what's happening with mention of past events (however near or distant) mingled in (ie this all reminds me of when....) OR it can be a pure and simple chat about the past (ie I havn't had so much fun since the Kesseltania Run, Capt! Remember that? etc). It can be a short or long exposition/chat and recovers all your dice pool as an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm standing on the edge of the ballroom at Count Marlowe's castle. Much of what's around is me isn't quite in focus; impressionistic shapes move, pause, move again, like a painting come to stilted life. I see this in the periphery of my vision, my eyes are drawn forward to Marlowe standing ten feet from me on the dance floor.

I'm standing in the same pose I was the last time I met Marlowe in this dream, holding my fan up.

"Ah, little blackbird. You've flown the nest. But where are you going? Here, you have all you desire." He sweeps his arm to highlight the grandeur of this ballroom, this gilded world. "You belong here. You belong with me. You will stay here."

I hear nothing. Everything is silent around me--the dancers move silently, there is no music, everything is silent. I glance around, quick so as Marlowe doesn't notice, but he does. "Ah, little bird. You don't hear anything but me, the sounds of my voice, and you will come with me."

I open my mouth, to say something, but I cannot. I am frozen in place, I cannot speak.

Marlowe moves closer. His eyes now glow deep orange as he looks to me, crooning to me, commanding me, "Come to me. Come back to me. Take my hand. Take it now, and you will come back to me. I will keep you safe. Come to me. Come to me."

He lifts his hand, as if to take mine in the dance. Immobilized, I move forward, seemingly compelled by him.

I struggle to break the paralysis, but I cannot. I have been tapped, physically and magically, that I have nothing left in me but to just be as my body lays seemingly disconnected from my wants and desires.

Marlowe steps closer, so close I can smell his cloying, musty scent. He looks at the fan, still held in place by my frozen arm. He read the name written on the ridges, and eyes narrow as he sneers, "WHO? HIM????"

I raise my chin, looking at him in derision. You will never see your name on my fan!

His eyes narrow in rage; I take every bit of what I can of me and pull myself from this ballroom, from his clutches.

I'm back on the floor of the The Owl, my eyes still filled with the dark burning orange of Marlowe. I hear the faint hiss of his voice saying, "I will find him, I will find you, and I am getting closer."

I lay on the floor, my eyes closed so the others think I sleep. I am fighting sleep lest I return to Marlowe; my weakness seems to strengthen his. I need sleep. I need sleep. But I cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  |