Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam,

Thanks for the question. I am enjoying it as well, though I have to admit to a little hesitation with how much "control" to take. (and to be honest, with how poorly I've been rolling at times, I feel like just my own dumb luck has been causing enough problems for Cyrus as it is!)

That being said, for the sake of clarification, by instigating NPC actions, are you referring to actors even not currently interacting with our own characters? In other words, would it be appropriate for me to write a little segue for what the Imperial captain is doing, or perhaps NPC's engaged with OTHER Players, but not myself? Not that I have any special plans for doing so, just trying to gauge what all I should be considering.

Thanks again for running this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
How much control to take is up to you. Do what you are comfortable with. But as per my last post, I'll be at the reins more now so feel free to sit back a little on that front.

If there is a little side-tale between other NPCs that will somehow impact our own part of the story by all means write that in, though I would keep that sort of thing short and sweet.

As for NPCs not currently in on the action - by all means introduce them, though generally they will only have small bit-parts.

I would recommend that anyone bigger than a traditional "Star Trek Red-Shirt" is brought up in OOC conversation here along the lines of "I feel that at this point we could introduce ## to make life interesting." The sort of thing a GM would do as part of the normal running of the game - except that in LB the players can do that too.

Bad rolls are all part of this! You're not likely to die, things will just get much harder, but that means you can get more creative with crazy stuff!

Anyway...I'm off to think of an IC post or two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
Naomi decides to go from left to right. She's feeling in her element. This is what I do best! As she takes the first soldier out she tries to move so that her next victim is between her and the remaining soldiers.
mebririth previously rolled 7custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1) = 2 (Alive + Pit Fighter + Combat Tested + Brutal + Living Weapon + Hard + 1 pool die)

Joline - due to the situation a 3 success is needed. I think your "fast" tag should also be used and you have SIX more pool dice you can use right now, so personally I would roll another 2 pool dice into that mix to try to get enough successes.

I'll allow you to add a 2nd roll to that last post adding in the extra dice (at least one, for "fast" but more if you wish), before I do some narration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But didn't we say last time that her leg injury canceled the fast tag?

And my tally on the pool dice came up as 2, so somehow something is off... (I used only one because I figured I'd save one plus I was thinking I should have enough dice for 3 successes-not aparently...)

-edit So I'll take an extra die for the failure and then reroll with target four, is that ok? I'll leave the fast tag out because I think we said it didn't work because of her leg injury , but if you really think I can use it I'll swap it with one of the pool dice..
I think I have 3 pool dice right now and I'll use all of them.

-edit again whoops the geekroller responded late so I accidentally doubleclicked... well I guess it's just a doomed action: 9 dice and only 2 successes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
But didn't we say last time that her leg injury canceled the fast tag?

Damn, yes, yes we did. My memory is terrible!

Quote:
And my tally on the pool dice came up as 2, so somehow something is off... (I used only one because I figured I'd save one plus I was thinking I should have enough dice for 3 successes-not aparently...)

Honestly, it was most likely my own calculations that mucked up. I still had you at 7 pool and 0 used. But that is probably wrong. What do you make it?

Quote:
-edit So I'll take an extra die for the failure and then reroll with target four, is that ok? I'll leave the fast tag out because I think we said it didn't work because of her leg injury , but if you really think I can use it I'll swap it with one of the pool dice..
I think I have 3 pool dice right now and I'll use all of them.

Ah, right, okay. 3 pool out of 7.

Quote:
-edit again whoops the geekroller responded late so I accidentally doubleclicked... well I guess it's just a doomed action: 9 dice and only 2 successes....

Very unfortunate indeed! Thank you for the honesty with the dice roller! On the plus side that does mean you still have the three pool dice and you now have a 4th with a total number of pool dice of 8. I'll go narrate something fun.

Anyone else out there???????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone else out there???????

My apologies! I came down with the flu earlier this week. Cyrus was apparently not the ONLY one walking around in a fog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Falling away from the game at the moment. I get what you're saying with controlling npcs but I'm also not keen to control too much as I feel like I'm taking options away from other players. I like much of the setting and mechanics of the game, but I think I'm just about ready to throw in the towel.

Are you feeling more likely to keep playing, now that Sam is taking a more active role?

I support either decision, you playing or not, but I'm asking because I need to know if I need to go save Naomi or if Snargle will. :)

Sam, are you going to assume Snargle's role or will you exit the character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
funkdonut wrote:
I'm asking because I need to know if I need to go save Naomi or if Snargle will.

I'm playing Kale who also needs rescuing, but overall no, I think I'm pretty done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
funkdonut wrote:
I'm asking because I need to know if I need to go save Naomi or if Snargle will.

I'm playing Kale who also needs rescuing, but overall no, I think I'm pretty done.

Oops! Sorry to see you go, best of luck and hope that we finally get off this ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
funkdonut wrote:

My computer, or rather Windows 10, decided to commit ritual suicide a few days ago. Took a while but after a reinstall I'm at least running the barebones Windows (urgh! hideous!).

Matt - I will be very sorry to lose you from the game. Would you care to say the reasons? (in a geekmail if you prefer) I do hope you've enjoyed the game - I know this style of rpg gameplay is not to everyone's liking as some prefer the "traditional" gm tells a story, players play in it; rather than the players running the game as much as the gm. However if it was something I did/did not do please do say so I can be sure I don't do it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the game, unhappy with the dice (that's life).

I would say that I don't mind narrating against myself to a small degree (I think I've taken a few liberties) but I don't want to fully control the narrative. For example where we are now, I don't see a way to forward this narrative without taking a fair amount of liberty from other players.

My rolls have prevented me from giving Kale agency over the narrative in the current situation and I don't see a particular path of narrating the guards without taking control from the other players also in this situation and I don't know where to narrate Kale to other than right back to a new cell in the brig.

Anyways, I apologize for dropping out, good luck all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I can very easily put you back in a position where things can happen. I put you in that position with a few ideas on how she could get out of them. I am happy to throw those ideas in to here - that is, in part, what the OOC area is for. If you get stuck with what you can do, ask the other players/gm to throw some ideas out there.

So Kale curently has a guard on top of her, pinning her down.

Firstly, you can use your Secret of Reflexes : "Once per session, you can re-roll a failure when doing anything involving grace, dexterity, or quick reflexes."
This means you can re-roll the last dice roll to see if you can change the outcome and then (assuming a success) I/You/We can change the narration in a new post (something along the lines of "Kale deliberately falls to the ground with the guard on top of her, she then uses his own weight to propel him up and over her head and into two of the guards aiming weapons at her. She then jumps up and rams her head at the stomach of the third guard."

Secondly, assuming you let the last bad dice roll stand: Kale can grab a shiny thing from the guard pinning her down. Maybe a smaller personal weapon, and then using him as a shield she shoots at the first guard.

Thirdly, also assuming the last roll stands, she could play act unconscious. Let the guard stand up, and with the help of his friends lift her onto their collective shoulders. Then using her magic "Petty magic (use one spell tag at a time) Light spell, Dark spell, Jump spell, Shatter spell, [Channeling], [Spellcaster] ) she could light the whole corridor to a brilliant level for a moment, blinding everyone, then slip away leaving them holding each other instead!

And those are just three of my own ideas!

I'd love you to stay, and see if we can work through this, however I'll understand if you don't feel you can.

Always, and I mean **always**, feel free to speak up if you are unsure/unhappy about something! I'm here to help you enjoy the game, and RPGGeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any resolution on how to handle Kale as a character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy easter day yesterday!

I shall be taking over Kale and using my scenario 3

It would appear I'm also taking over as Snargle, which is a pity also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I will do some more posts later - just heading to Cornwall now, so it will be tonight in the hotel but I'll have plenty of time to post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Kathleen - great post!

Yesterday, it seems, wiped me out. I will post tonight guys Thank you for your patience. I'm going to have Kale try her dark, or maybe light, spell just before Natasha arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh oops, wrong order of reading things.. I'll adjust my current post after your post tonight, Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Kathleen - great post! :)

Thanks. I feel like it was time for Natasha to take control of the situation and go full on berserker.

I kinda botched my ooc comment with the roll, please note that Sense is my new tag from the XP I acquired. I also hit Key of the Mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One point of clarification... I see that my character sheet still has "Brawl" as an unclaimed tag. I earned enough on the 4th of March to take a new tag, and I ended up taking Brawl on March 18th (and used it several times.) I did forget to clarify I was taking it at that point. As a result, I don't believe I have enough points for a new tag, there's only three left. Please let me know if I've miscounted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
By crickey I'm being a bit (a lot) useless at keeping track of these things! Have 2xp because I mucked up. So you've got 5xp now

Also that last IC post - you only rolled 3 dice on a pool of 4. I would have also added your last pool dice in so you rolled 5 as getting 3 out of 4 is improbable but 3 of 5 is more likely. If you want to roll the extra you can, though without yhe pool die there isn't a lot of need to (plus you could convert 1 or 2 xp into pool dice (you have total 8 atm and you can have max 10) if you wanted to)

I'm giving Kathleen and Joline 2xp too for sticking with the game

Naomi has 5xp.
Lady B has 4xp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! I completely neglected to mention that I was taking the tag.

I was rather okay--and semi-planning on--failing that roll, as starting up a ships engines, powering the weapons and using them inside a crowded hanger seems to fall well outside of Cyrus' area of expertise. And now he has the opportunity to do something that's far more inside his comfort zone.... Blasting things with a heavy cannon from the top of an attack vessel. "Oorah!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Havn't forgotten you all. Just been crazy busy at work and then with laminate flooring. I will read Dave's post and post tonight.

Ladies - any idea on how you might be finding a way past/around that locked-down door? Chat here about it by all means!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I forgot about the blast door... Maybe I can use something + my secret of destruction... Must be a high target number, but maybe it's possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
Oh I forgot about the blast door... Maybe I can use something + my secret of destruction... Must be a high target number, but maybe it's possible?

The Door would be a 6. The wall next to the door a 5

I havn't checked IC to see if youve left the previous corridor yet - I know Snargle had and was at the closed door.

I'll leave that to you to narrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted after Dave. I tried to deal with the door but it was too much for me and I'm currently passed out on the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] |