Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Average Bear?
You should've put some pool dice in that last throw, Bifford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
You should've put some pool dice in that last throw, Bifford.

I think you might be right. (And it was a reference to Yogi and Booboo)

6+7 - I'm a goblin bear. I'll use all my pool dice. 13custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 3

EDIT: Flaming hell! If we go by the rules of LB, because I failed the first roll I gain an extra pool dice (not used, I'd have one left...) but the difficulty goes up by one to 4.....so I *still* failed! LOL.. But I'll use my goblin Secret of the Lucky Break so that "Once per session, you can keep your pool dice when you succeed (so go ahead and use 'em all).)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1018600. Bifford
  • 13custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • 6+7 - I'm a goblin bear. I'll use all my pool dice.
  • Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
OFF TOPIC

Off Topic!

We have a thing called "Geek of the Week" on each of the three domains for the geek.

Each Sunday the previous Geek nominates (with permission from that person) a new GotW. That person is then congratulated and can be asked a shed-ton of questions by anyone who wants to. If you are the GotW you have to find a Geek who hasn't been the GotW yet (they'll have a microbadge if they have been) and ask them if they want to be GotW. All of this is in the GotW instruction thread posted to each thread.

Anyway, the meaning of this post is to say that Steve has recently posted this Thread: When is it going to be my turn?

If you would like to be considered for the GotW limelight you can Geekmail Steve to say this. He will then add your name to a list and if the current GotW needs help to find the next person to don the title they can message Steve and he'll tell them the next few people on the list, therefore making the whole process easier!

So if you want to be considered for GotW go to the thread and do as the man says!

When is it going to be my turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:

straydawg previously rolled 9custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0) = 4 (Target 4 as hard (he's already suspicious of me))

Alive+Soldier+Command+Soldiers+Rank+Survivor+Intimidate+2Pool=9

Unfortunately, Dave, that is mixing two Traits and also tags from two traits.

You can only use one Trait (and it's tags) at any one time.

So that means when using "Ex-Imperial Soldier" you can use these tags: Tactics, Command, Soldiers, Rank, Connections, Maps, Imperial War Ships

You can't use the survivor (trait) or Intimate (tag) items.

The good news is that you are quite clearly using tactics with this manoeuvre so you can put that in. That means you only need to throw one extra pool dice in to get your 9 roll. So that roll can stand, but you will have used 3 pool dice up, not two.

If you can edit your post to say: "Alive+Soldier+Tactics+Command+Soldiers+Rank+3Pool=9

Quote:
Key of the Commander

HIT! It's also put you in danger commanding Snargle to do that, as if he does not do as he is told you are now in very real danger! so 2xp gained

You also hit your Key of Hidden Longing with the earlier post. so 1xp for that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! I definitely had wondered about mixing two traits, but figured better to ask forgiveness than permission I'll go ahead and make the edit now.

Excellent about the XP. I'm erring on the side of caution when it comes to giving myself credit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Kathleen - you hit your Key of the Imposter when you successfully fooled Cyrus. 1xp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helping Others
Just reviewed the rules about the Dice pool again:

Quote:
Helping Others

You are able to help your friends by giving them one of your pool die. You need to be in a position where you can aid them in what they are doing. Say what your character does to help.

How would you do this in Pbf, since in all likelihood, you don't have a chance to "offer a dice" before the roll is made and completed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I definitely had wondered about mixing two traits, but figured better to ask forgiveness than permission I'll go ahead and make the edit now.

Excellent about the XP. I'm erring on the side of caution when it comes to giving myself credit

So just to clarify also, the earlier post by you of:

Quote:
Alive+Imp Soldier+Soldiers+Connections+Smuggler+Deception=6d

Was also wrong, but I will let that one slip because it's not overly important and you are still learning!

Alive+Imp Soldier+Soldiers+Connections is correct, but of course the Smugger+Deception bit is from a different trait/tag so isn't.

Because you've already written in and reacted to that we'll gloss over the error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Rai, your recent roll was also slightly wrong:

wvelkala wrote:
.... Snargle offered his small purple hand through the cell bars to the young soldier, hoping to rescue the situation...

wvelkala previously rolled 6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1) = 3

Alive+Observation+Distractions+Bluff+Languages+Quick

The young soldier regained his composure and came over and grasped Snargles out-stretched hand with vigour.

I'm not sure where "Observation" came from? Your Trait is "Sly" and Quick is not in that trait set.

Sly
Crafty, Sneaky, Distractions, Bluff, Languages, Trade Speak, [Sharp], [Disguise] (You cant use the two tags in []'s yet though)

Your roll had 6 dice.
We can say you did: Alive+Sly+Crafty+Distractions+Bluff+Languages to get the same result, but with the correct trait+tags. Okay?

Good attempt though, Rai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that now... and if you think it appropriate to subtract a couple more dice from the pool, I think that'd be fair. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, perhaps) I failed that one, so I don't think I managed to cheat too successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael - very nice try, and almost got the roll right!

TheNameless0ne wrote:
I wink at Snargle
In case the opportunity presents itself...7custom2{0;1}=4]
BASE+fast+living weapon+awareness+disarm+aware+coiled

You forgot the Trait itself, and also mixed two traits and two sets of tags.

So you could EITHER use:
Pit-Fighter
Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, [Strong], [Bone-Breaking], [Scary Look]

OR
Bodyguard
Awareness, Threats, Defend, Disarm, restrain, Carry, Delay, [Security], [First Aid]

I know you have not yet actually rushed the door...but it might still happen....we need 7 dice so I would do:

Alive + Pit-Fighter + Combat Tested + Brutal + Living Weapon + Fast + Hard

Which gives you your 7 that you rolled, but using the correct Alive + 1 trait + the tags from that 1 trait format.

Does that make sense?? (Feel free to edit that post to show the right combo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many questions yet?
One more follow up:

Quote:
EDIT: Flaming hell! If we go by the rules of LB, because I failed the first roll I gain an extra pool dice

Would I get one dice restored because I missed the first attempt to lure the guard over? (I don't think we SHOULD give it since I messed that one up, just want to clarify.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

darn! Michael, you beat me to a new IC post before I could get that last OOC post written!

So, your latest IC post was this:

TheNameless0ne wrote:
Perfect! Just the opening I need. I lunge toward the now-held guard with my fist leading the way and a manic grin on my face, shouting his name to get his face lined up just right

Boyd!

6custom2{0;1} = 3

BASE+combat-tested+brutal+living weapon+fast+hard

Key of the Warrior

Assuming a 3 was a success...

And if you look at Alice like that again, Cyrus, you're next.

Key of the Guardian

Pit-Fighter
Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, [Strong], [Bone-Breaking], [Scary Look]

so Base + Pit+Fighter + combat tested + brutal + living weapon +fast + hard.

In other words - you get to roll one more dice!!!! (because you forgot the Trait). Edit the post to roll 1custom2{0;1} and see if you can't get a 4th success which will mean you can narrate not just a "basic success" but a "pretty darn good success"

Whatever the result of the extra roll you smack your fist into the guard through the cell door - feel free to narrate how that goes for him and you! (bear in mind snargle had not yet pulled him into the door)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
Just reviewed the rules about the Dice pool again:

Quote:
Helping Others

You are able to help your friends by giving them one of your pool die. You need to be in a position where you can aid them in what they are doing. Say what your character does to help.

How would you do this in Pbf, since in all likelihood, you don't have a chance to "offer a dice" before the roll is made and completed?

In the post where you are narrate the aid giving, roll 1custom2{0;1} so they know if you do indeed help, or if you don't. They can then either make their roll (without the extra dice added in) or edit their narration to show your extra help/bumbling idiocy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
I realize that now... and if you think it appropriate to subtract a couple more dice from the pool, I think that'd be fair. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, perhaps) I failed that one, so I don't think I managed to cheat too successfully.

We'll let it slide this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
One more follow up:

Quote:
EDIT: Flaming hell! If we go by the rules of LB, because I failed the first roll I gain an extra pool dice

Would I get one dice restored because I missed the first attempt to lure the guard over? (I don't think we SHOULD give it since I messed that one up, just want to clarify.)

I will say no here, because people are still learning and we've moved past that point in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, let me know if I did any of that rolling (or anything else) incorrectly.

I'm curious on Keys, I have the Key of the Mission, when do you feel it's appropriate to call that? It's a pretty big generalization to 'take action to complete the mission'.

P.S. this is what I get for calling it lockpick#1

P.P.S - I do plan on answering your questions as soon as I can from a character perspective. Hope that's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the middle of a post, I've rolled twice, and I just realized I could have rerolled that sorcery roll. I rolled another since, so I'm not going to go back and redo that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Sam, let me know if I did any of that rolling (or anything else) incorrectly.

I'm curious on Keys, I have the Key of the Mission, when do you feel it's appropriate to call that? It's a pretty big generalization to 'take action to complete the mission'.

The roll and re-roll were both sound. You gained a pool dice and difficulty did indeed go up by one. So everything correct

All I would say about this little flurry of posts is no one gave Michael time to post about the result of his roll and the hitting of the guard. I've had to edit my post to say what happened to the guard = however Michael if you want to edit yours instead please do (though you'll have to make sure you don't break the new narrative). I did notice that Michael rolled his one extra dice and succeeded, which is great - well done!

Keys are quite vague, yes, and purposefully so. That's so they are open to a wide range of interpretation. You hit the key right there with that post. 1xp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
funkdonut wrote:
I'm in the middle of a post, I've rolled twice, and I just realized I could have rerolled that sorcery roll. I rolled another since, so I'm not going to go back and redo that.

Quote:
Roll for Base + Master Sorcerer + Spellcaster + Stormblood

Kathleen, I'm not sure what you were try to achieve with the sorcery roll. Are you able to be more specific (ie narrate) about what being a "master sorcerer" means and what your "stormblood" would do. Also, I'm going to post some questions specifically for you now based on that first fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
All I would say about this little flurry of posts is no one gave Michael time to post about the result of his roll and the hitting of the guard.

True, though with this format it's hard to see where a person has left things intentionally open or is working on some thoughts.

Do you have etiquette recommendations for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a tough one, I agree! You can keep an eye on the bottom right of a post where it says the original post time plus the latest edit time.

The easiest thing is to post OOC and ask the user in question to post a quick note there to say they are done editing.

I know everyone is eager to play but we are not in a rush and some users may not get to log in as often as others (I'm at work and being naughty on my phone!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rai Furniss
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops!
Bifford wrote:
Rai, your recent roll was also slightly wrong:

Should I go back and edit the text so it's legit?

'Observation' was from Sky Sailor but as you have pointed out now, that's mixing traits! Sorry, I wasn't aware you couldn't do that. I've just had to go back and edit my latest roll OOC comment so it's all just coming from one trait.

Apologies if I'm not posting the same time as others, think i'm in a different time zone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Quote:
Roll for Base + Master Sorcerer + Spellcaster + Stormblood

Kathleen, I'm not sure what you were try to achieve with the sorcery roll. Are you able to be more specific (ie narrate) about what being a "master sorcerer" means and what your "stormblood" would do. Also, I'm going to post some questions specifically for you now based on that first fail.

I was trying to cast a spell to make the guard go away. Failing both, apparently. :) Stormblood, as I understood it, means that as long as I can speak, I can cast spells.

Tears because noble or not, she's had a bad day. :) In my mind, she's at the nadir of her existence. Leaving everything she knows for the faintest wisp of a dream, and while there is a certain arrogance about expecting to get her way, she currently is not, and has not been getting her way for a while. I'm okay with a little fragility here. I usually play an asskicker, so I'm exploring the other side. Most heroes undergo a dark fall before they rise. So, she's in her Empire Strikes Back phase, not her Return of the Jedi phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
It is a tough one, I agree! You can keep an eye on the bottom right of a post where it says the original post time plus the latest edit time.

The easiest thing is to post OOC and ask the user in question to post a quick note there to say they are done editing.

I know everyone is eager to play but we are not in a rush and some users may not get to log in as often as others (I'm at work and being naughty on my phone!).

What about adding something thing like "In Progress" on a post? Meaning, You make an initial post on the IC thread that just says "In Progress." Then, you take your turn, submitting to check dice rolls as necessary. When finished overall, just make a note at the bottom that says "End" or something similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |