Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Lady Blackbird Newbie PBF game! (2017)

Here are some appropriate links for this game:
[Geeklist Item Link Here]Lady Blackbird 2017 Newbie PBF Signup Geeklist Item[/here]

2017 Newbie Initiative - Lady Blackbird In-Character Thread
2017 Newbie Initiative - Lady Blackbird Character Geeklist

This is the Out of Character (OOC) Thread for the 2017 Newbie Initiative game of Lady Blackbird. Please subscribe to this thread. (Click Subscribe under the Subject at the top of the page)

I also recommend adding this page, the IC page, and the character Geeklist, to your QuickLinks at the top right of your Geek page. Click on a [+] symbol and then name the page something like "Lady Blackbird OOC thread" and "Lady Blackbird IC thread". Clicking these brings you straight here. The limitation of this is that it doesn't keep up with the pages so you need to EDIT the links when we get to page 2, 3 etc.

Here are some other helpful threads that you may find useful:
Visual Guide to Basic use of the GeekRoller with examples I am going to explain how we will use the dice roller though, so do not worry too much about this.
Play-by-forum FAQ and Reference
Tips for new users in PBF games
RPG Geek User Guide

Don't worry if you don't want to read those - they are not mandatory!

Now before you read on I'll just say this:
There's a lot of text to come explaining how everything works. I am more than happy for you to skim over this for now and to start posting here with hellos, questions and what-not. I am also happy to explain and repeat myself as often as need be before and during the game regarding anything.

I just felt it would be a good idea to get everything explained on the first page of this thread so that it is easily referenced by you all. If you think I have missed anything out, or something is not clear please let me know and I'll edit or re-explain it to you all.

I hope you all enjoy this game of Lady Blackbird!

Sam / Bifford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC Thread Explanation

This thread is specifically for OUT OF CHARACTER conversations and questions, to clarify rules and general chit-chat.

If you are ever in doubt about what to do or what your character might do, or how to do something, ask here and either myself or one of the other players will help you. RPGs in general are hard enough when you've not done them before - playing by forum can be even harder especially when you are new to it. But it's quite easy really and you will soon get the hang of it

Go grab the free PDF of Lady Blackbird from this site: http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/ and have a read. There is nothing in there that will spoil the game for you but all the basic ideas and explanations are within those few pages.

IC Thread and Basic Stuff Explanation

The IC thread is for all your In Character conversations and explanations. Explain what your character does here and talk to the other characters or NPCs (Non-Player Characters).

I will describe a scene and ask questions. These questions may be about character actions, feelings, or even be about the setting and NPC actions. This may be different from most role-playing games that you’re used to.

If a detail about the world is not established then you, as the player, may establish it. I may tell you the name of a guard, for example, but if I don’t then you are free to fill in that detail yourself. You even have some control over the guard’s background and motivation. Just don’t contradict anything that’s already established and don’t go overboard. If you provide a detail that goes against the theme or existing facts in the game I may change it.

Charater Sheets

I have made a Geeklist which will have all the character sheets on it. I will keep this updated as we go through the game, so you only need to look at the Geeklist to know what your characters' current status is. If you have this added to your QuickLinks at the top of the page right-click the link and select "Open in new tab" then you can have both the thread and the sheet open at the same time!

The Geeklist item will keep track of conditions, XP, buyoffs, and so forth. I will update it whenever anyone rolls the dice or a character hits a key etc. Please keep an eye on your character sheet and make sure it is accurate. Also, if I ever don't give you XP for some action and you feel you should have received it, please post in the out-of-character thread.

GM Question Posts

The IC thread starts with the introduction scenario. It will then be followed by a set of questions for each of you and for the group as a whole. This GM question post will appear throughout the game.

Any questions or text that are in the normal black colour are questions I want you to think about and Possibly answer - these are hints and ideas for the sorts of thing I expect you and your character to be thinking of, but if you have other ideas feel free to explore them.

Questions or text in a red colour are things you Must answer. These are things I deem very important to the moment.

Each of you will have questions specific to you, and there may well be questions for "Everyone on a first come, first served basis (just one of these per person though)"

Please see post #2 on the IC thread for an example of all of that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting Requirements

So the game has five characters:

Lady Blackbird / Natasha Syri (Imperial Noble)
Naomi Bishop (Former pit-fighter and Lady B's bodyguard)
Captain Cyrus Vance (Ex-Imperial soldier turned smugger. Captain of The Owl)
Kale Arkam (Burglar, petty sorcerer, first mate and mechanic on the Owl)
Snargle (Goblin sky-sailor and pilot of the Owl)

Formatting

(This is my preferred way of working. You do not have to follow this, but however you chose to do things try to stay consistent throughout the game)

Once we know who is playing who I will need you all to chose yourself a colour (with the exception of red, that is reserved for me and grey which is for OOC comments). All of your character's talking needs to be in that colour. It helps make it stand out.

Anything your character thinks needs to be in italics, and if possible 'wrapped in single quotes' (I'm not gonna fuss if you forget that!)

If you need to make an OOC comment within the IC thread (to explain an action, to point out that you think you hit a Key etc) then write this below all of your IC text and wrap that text in [ ooc]OOC: the text I want to say here[/ooc] (but without the space after that first bracket!!) with the prefix OOC:
(for example: OOC: I think kale just hit the Key of Concealment! )

Frequency

In order to keep the game flowing nicely it would be awesome if everyone could log in and check the IC and OOC threads at least once a day. It may be that you are waiting for someone else to post before you can, but please check in to see if they have and if possible post in OOC to say "I'm just waiting for #### to do their post and then I'll do mine." Hopefully we can keep the game flowing nicely this way.

Time away

Everyone has a life outside of RPGgeek and computers in general. I understand that. If you know you are not going to be able to log in and post for a few days PLEASE post here and let me know. I can skirt around things or do a GM post on your behalf if need be. If you have ideas for what you want to do but you'll be away when they need doing feel free to send me a geekmail with your thoughts and ideas so I can enact them for you.

Going AWOL holds up the game for all concerned and we want this to be a happy game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Almost done with all the pre-blub stuff!!! Sorry there's so much to read, but if you've never done this before it helps to know a few rules.

And so on to the Dice mechanics side of things.

Dice, Pool Dice, Traits and Tags, Keys and Secrets

To explain this I'm going to use my favourite character of Kale Arkam.

I will come back to the mechanics of the dice roller later. First I need to explain the VERY simple way Lady Blackbird works.

Traits and Tags

Each character has a set of Traits. These are "general headings" for your characters background.
So Kale has Burglar, Tricky, Petty Magic (use one spell tag at a time) and Mechanic.

Each of these has a number of Tags. These are slightly more detailed components of the Trait. However these are quite loose terms and can be interpreted how you want.
Kale has, under the Burglar Trait, the tags Quiet, Sneak, Hide, Dextrous, Locks, Perceptive, Traps and Darkness.

The tags that have brackets [ ] around them (Alarms and Distractions) are tags Kale does not yet possess but can buy later with XP.

Dice Rolling

When you want to do something that involves your traits and tags (so if Kale decides to pick a lock for example) you use the following formula:

One dice (for being alive!) + one for the Trait being used (only one trait in any one roll) + one for each tag you use + any Pool dice you want to use.

So using our example Kale would get one dice (for being alive) plus one dice for Burglar and then gets another three dice for using the tags sneak, dexterous, locks. He decides to also use two pool dice to boost his die rolling. So 1+1+3+2 = 7 (d6) dice.

So Kale rolls 7 dice. He wants a number of successes equal or more than the difficulty.

A standard difficulty level is 3 (Difficult). If something is going to be easier or harder than that I will tell you in the thread or GM question posts.

So Kale picking the cell lock with no guards around would be a 3, however if he's trying to pick the lock while a guard stands by the door but is looking the other way the difficulty goes up to a 4. If there are two guards standing with their backs to the cell door and a third is pacing up and down then the difficulty hits 5.

Pool Dice

Each of you starts with 7 pool dice. These can be used to boost your dice rolling. Once you use the pool dice they are gone until we do something called a "refresher scene" (more on that later, I don't want to melt your brain right now) so use them wisely!

You will have the ability to purchase more (up to 10) with your XP but that will take a short while.

Keys

Each of you has three Keys. These are things specific to you and which make your character what they are. Think of them as the mould into which the person is poured. Kale has the Key of Greed, the Key of the Mission and the Key of Fraternity.

Read the keys for your character. Whenever you incorporate these keys into your text you "hit your key" and gain XP for it! So lets say Kale is walking down a corridor and spots something cool, shiny and mechanical and promptly nabbed it he can be classed as having hit his Key of Greed. He gains 1 XP for this.

Each Key has a "buyoff". Once you have hit your key at least once in game you have the option to buy off that key by fulfilling the terms of the text. So if Kale swears off stealing forever he has bought off his key. Doing so earns him 2XP and he can chose a new key. Think carefully before doing this though as these are major personality traits.

Also, if you go into danger because of a key you get 2XP. That shiny thing Kale wanted to steal? It's in a room filled with Imperials having lunch. He sneaks in, gets the item and gets out again without being noticed. 2XP!

Secrets

You also each have Secrets. These are things that can help you or your friends. Kale has Secret of Concealment and Secret of Reflexes meaning he can produce any number of small handy things from about his person (even if stripped naked! (Don't ask!!)) and once per session he can re-roll a failure involving grace, dexterity or quick reflexes.

If you are unsure about your Keys or Secrets please do ask about them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Penultimate Lastly...whew!!

XP

When you hit a Key you can either take an XP point or you can add a die to your pool die (to a max of 10). As standard I will assume you wish to take XP. Please let me know if you'd rather the pool die at any time.

When you have 5 XP saved up you can do one of the following:

# Add a new Trait based on something you learned in game or some past experience revealed during play
# Add a Tag to an existing trait
# Add a new Key (never the same one twice)
# Learn a Secret if you have the means to

You can hold on to the XP and spend them any time - even during battle - if you wish to.

Helping Others

You are able to help your friends by giving them one of your pool die. You need to be in a position where you can aid them in what they are doing. Say what your character does to help.

Eg: Naomi sees that Kale is trying to lift some heavy machinery and goes to help. She can give him a pool dice to use for his roll. If the roll fails you get your dice back. If it succeeds you lose that die (until a refresh scene)

Statuses

During the game you may gain one or more of the following status: Injured, Dead, Tired, Angry, Lost, Hunted, Trapped (dead doesn't mean you're out of the game, it could just be that you have been put into a medical coma for example)

If you get one of these I will explain what affect it has on you and how long it is likely to last.

Refresher Scenes

At certain points in the game, when a natural break occurs, I will call for a Refresher Scene. You may also call for one at ANY TIME. A refresh scene involves you and at least one other player and is a time when you talk and reminisce. It might be that Kale asks Naomi how she came to be a pit-fighter, or Snargle could be telling the tale of how he came to be the Owl's pilot. Ask questions of each other and tell stories of your life.

Doing so gains you back your Pool Dice!!! You can also lose one condition or regain the use of a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
And Last Lastly! heheeh

The dice roller.

Quote:
So using our example Kale would get one dice (for being alive) plus one dice for Burglar and then gets another three dice for using the tags sneak, dexterous, locks. He decides to also use two pool dice to boost his die rolling. So 1+1+3+2 = 7 (d6) dice.

So Kale rolls 7 dice. He wants a number of successes equal or more than the difficulty.

So you've worked out how many dice you are rolling, and you know your difficulty (3 unless otherwise specified or unless you chose to make it harder due to your own narration).

When you are writing a post you will see that above the writing box on the right is a button marked "Roll". Clicking this brings up a box with a number of dice choices, a box for the dice roll algorithm and a comments box.

You could roll d6's, but the Geek has a much more elegant solution, which is also a lot easier to interpret in forum play.
Because we want our dice to be either Success or Fail we use the following format in the "Roll" box:

#custom2{0;1}

Where # is the number of dice to roll. So Kales' example above would be inputted as 7custom2{0;1} - Be sure to use Curly brackets!!

Bifford previously rolled 7custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 3 (Kales' Roll. Target 3.)

This dice roll will then appear in your text at the last pointer position and will look like this: [ geekroll=237592][ /geekroll] (but without the spaces inside the brackets)

You will not see the result of your roll until you "Submit" your post (not even on Preview).

So you would narrate up to the point when you are about to do something that requires a roll, add in the geek roll then press "Submit" to post the message. Look at the result and see if you succeeded at your task or not. In this case Kale Just about succeeded. You can then edit your post and carry on with the narrative taking into consideration the dice result. So here I would write into Kales' story that it was touch and go for a moment, with one of the guards hearing something, but that Kale managed to pick the lock just fine. If he had failed then I'd narrate something bad happening, and if I'd got 6 or 7 successes Kale would have very easily and quickly picked the lock. You get the picture!

With ALL dice rolls please indicate how you came to roll that many dice either in the story or at the end of the post and do so using the OOC tags: [ ooc]Roll for.....[ /ooc]

EG: Roll for the next bit: 1 + Burglar + Sneak + Dexterous + Locks + 2 Pool Bifford previously rolled 7custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 3 (Kales' Roll. Target 3.) 3 success on difficulty 3.

One last thing with dice rolls: I trust you lot not to cheat, but just in case - notice that attached to the bottom of this post is a "+ Dice Rolls" drop down. Click the + to reveal a record of all dice rolls made and can not be fudged. So if you roll three times but only post the third one to the story I can check and see that your first two rolls actually failed and I will use that first roll and also tell you off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

That's the wall of text over with! So who is your GM?

Greetings all!

My name is Sam, or Bifford. I don't mind which. Lets see....I will be hitting 38 in March, I'm a husband and a dad to a five year old (Poppy) and an almost-two year old (Lottie).

I used to be a pro photographer but am now an estate agent. I've been into computers since my age was in double figures. That started with an Amstrad CPC 464, progressed to an Amiga 500, 600, 1200 and 4000 - the last two of which were heavily expanded with the A4k being worth several grand now. I then bought a "modern day" Amiga - a Pegasos II running MorphOS. My favourite game back in the day had to be Frontier Elite, and nowdays I play the modern version - Elite: Dangerous.

RPG and LARP go hand in hand for me and I've been doing them since 2000 thereabouts. I ran my first game (White Wolfs' Exalted) in 2004 and now run my own rpg group (because I moved away from my previous group).

I have played in several Lady Blackbird games and GM'd numerous more! Lady Blackbird is a nice easy game and i enjoy it I hope you all do too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome on board players!

You will get to chose your character based on sign-up order (feel free to try to persuade someone to change if you really really want to play that character!!

Please introduce yourselves and start asking any questions you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I am Matt, a lover of board games, video games, science-fiction, fantasy and a long-struggling RPGGeek.

I've played D&D (3.5, 4.0) in the past and GM'd a game or two of Legend of the Five Rings. I'm a fan of the L5R 4th edition and MouseGuard RPGS and I'm excited to learn about this one.

With characters, Kale Arkam sounds interesting. I'm unclear if Kale is a male or female name, if that's an unnecessary distinction that's fine as well. I'd like to play Kale but I'd be happy to be persuaded should anyone find themselves unhappy about their options.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Hello!

I am Matt, a lover of board games, video games, science-fiction, fantasy and a long-struggling RPGGeek.

I've played D&D (3.5, 4.0) in the past and GM'd a game or two of Legend of the Five Rings. I'm a fan of the L5R 4th edition and MouseGuard RPGS and I'm excited to learn about this one.

With characters, Kale Arkam sounds interesting. I'm unclear if Kale is a male or female name, if that's an unnecessary distinction that's fine as well. I'd like to play Kale but I'd be happy to be persuaded should anyone find themselves unhappy about their options.

Thanks!

Great to have you along for the ride Matt

What's your top 3 board games and video games?
Star Trek or Star Wars? (or both)

Why do you classify yourself as "long-strugging"?

I'm glad that you have played MouseGuard as well as the more 'traditional' D&D flavoured games, it's a cool little game. Lady Blackbird (LB) is a different beast, involving the player a lot more in the story aspect of the game, so you can mould things to your own vision as a player, rather than leaving it all to the GM.

Kale....personally Kale is my favourite character (though Snargle is a close second!). I've always seen him as a male, but I have seen her played successfully as a female. So take your pick really, fill your boots and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 3 Board games
- Neuroshima Hex
- Tokaido
- Splendor

Top 3 Video games (this is a tough list, but I'll re-frame this to 'games I've recommended heavily')
- Bastion
- Journey
- Gone Home

Star Trek - I enjoy the optimistic science-fiction and spirit of things. I'm honestly pretty tired of Star Wars, it's simply too much for me anymore.

Long-Struggling :
I've been interested in RPGs for decades, Owned quite a lot of 3.5 and 4.0 D&D books and overall never really enjoyed D20 systems or those that are table-top combat focused. I've developed a particular love of L5R and Mouseguard as RPGs that stand pretty far apart from D&D, as far as systems and settings goes. When I faced a long-distance move I decided that I'd no longer try to keep up with D&D and simply focus on those two, so I've trimmed down and refocused and in the end I'm left with a good amount of interest in RPGS but no group to play with and I'm not sure I'm ready to run my own. So, I've got a lot of really great books, just need to put them into practice. I'm interested in PBF just to see how things go with this format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I'm down to (play) Lady Blackbird (herself as a character), actually.

I have a copy of Lady Blackbird already, so I'm excited I get to do this here.

I've played D&D some, have played The Quiet Year and Fate Accelerated games. I teach middle school gifted kids, and a good number of them play D&D, and others were interested. So I'm working through my first RPG design unit with them.

They've done some Parsley Interactive Fiction (a moderator helps us explore a world, we learn how to interact with it), then we did The Quiet Year (we follow RPG system rules, we make our own choices in this world), and then they've done Mermaid Adventures (character generation, playing a character, special goal missions). Now, my D&D kids are teaching others about it and then pairs of students will be assigned various RPGs to teach to the other students so they can get an idea of what's out there.

As for games, my favorite games are Empire Builder series games, Uwe Rosenberg games, and my game that will be published by IDW at some point soon. ;)

I really love RPGs and the possibilities they provide for storytelling as a good balance to all the work I do with mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely introduction Kathleen. I love The Quiet Year too - simple but elegant, and fun even if you have no skill at drawing (like me)!!

Can you clarify if you mean you would like to play as Lady Blackbird?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. Sloppy editing on my part. At first I said I'd play Cyrus, then I changed it to Lady Blackbird. I'll be more mindful of proofreading especially as we'll be playing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sarsany
United States
Hillsboro
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. My name is Michael. I'm a 46-year old software consultant, an antique dealer and collector, a loving husband, and long-suffering ;-) father to 3 daughters (and step-father to 1 weimaraner).

I'm an avid reader of fantasy and science-fiction and an avid boardgamer. I've always made time for reading, but have ever really only had time for one other geeky passion in my life at a time. This has included at various times in my life computer games - mainly CRPGs, board games and RPGs.

I haven't played anything resembling a pen-and-paper RPG since playing Palladium and Call of Cthulhu in college 20 years ago. As I tend to be shy, I specifically chose Naomi so that I could play her initially as lower-interaction hired muscle until I felt more comfortable in the setting and then ramp up my interaction.

[Edited 01/16/2017 for answers to top 3 question in post above]

Top 3 Boardgames: Railways of the World, San Juan, and Mansions of Madness, 2nd Edition

Top 3 Videogames: Planescape: Torment (if that wasn't apparent from my username), Fallout series, and Elder Scrolls series. And an honorable mention to the Portal and the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series.

[Edit to test OOC text}

This is a test of my Out of Character texting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1017456. TheNameless0ne
  • 3custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 1) =
  • Test
  • Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 am
  • [+]
  • 1017457. TheNameless0ne
  • 5custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • Test2
  • Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 am
  • [+]
  • 1017458. TheNameless0ne
  • 3custom2{1;6} =
  • (1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 am
  • [+]
  • 1017459. TheNameless0ne
  • 9custom6{0;1;2;3;4;5} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 0 + 2) =
  • Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 am
Rai Furniss
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

My name is Rai - or Wvelkala - and I am a complete newbie to RPGs. I've played some video games in the RPG genre but nothing more (e.g. DragonAge; The Witcher 2+3; Path of Exile; etc) so I'm both excited to be embarking on this adventure and quite nervous!

I'm a 29y/o from Birmingham in the UK; I work in IT Support, currently in Software Asset Management and Sales, although previously in first line support until just before Christmas.

I only 'got into' board games properly about 2 years ago and since August 2015 my friend and I have been doing our own podcast about our experiences in the hobby. In fact, I found out about the Newbie Initiative while I was doing stuff for the cast.

If possible, I'd like to play Snargle (I think he's still available) as being able to shape shift sounds interesting and his Key of Conscience aligns quite closely with my own personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

My name is David... and I'm looking forward to joining all of you!

I'm a software project manager by day, attorney by night, and gamer whenever I have the chance.

I haven't played a tabletop RPG since high school, enjoyed it immensely, then decided I was far too cool to admin to enjoying it. Of course, that meant I missed out on a LOT of years of adventuring.

Edit: I was in such a hurry to get signed up, I didn't take the time to see what other information you may find interesting. Now I'll take a moment to fill in some more details.

Favorite Boardgames: Eclipse, Dominion, and Galaxy Trucker.
Favorite Videogames: Far Cry, Fallout, and GTA: Vice City

And while I'm at it, let's do a few tests:

6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0) = 3
This is a test of the out of character broadcasting system

'I think this sounds like a lot of fun.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1017171. straydawg
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 pm
  • [+]
  • 1017172. straydawg
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 1 + 0) =
  • Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm
  • [+]
  • 1017182. straydawg
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0) =
  • Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Great to meet you all and thank you so much for the introductions Geeks like me who have been around an age (I just earned the 5 year veteran badge) get to know the regulars, so it's always great to find out a bit about the new folk around here - especially when I am playing with them! Before you know it the five of you will be regulars and then veterans yourself. Honestly, of all the forums I've frequented in my years RPGGeek beats them all into the ground with its friendliness and helpfulness.

So a few things. This is all in the massive posts at the top but I'm going to give an abridge version here in case you've not read all that yet!!

Firstly, I hope you have all subscribed to this thread! Otherwise you won't be seeing these new posts when they happen! If you have not, scroll right back to the top and under the "Subject" is a "subscribe" text button. You'll know you clicked it because it will change to "un-subscribe".

Secondly, it is good practice, especially when playing in games here, to "thumb" a post once you have read it. This lets me know you have seen and read a post, even if you do not immediately reply I know you have read it.

Thirdly, you have a set of 100 "Quick-Links" top right of the Geek. 10 tabs, each with 10 slots (designated by a + when empty). Make your life easier and Bookmark this OOC thread!

Fourthly, while you are at it, also subscribe and QuickLink Bookmark the IC thread and the character Geeklist.

And, like Dave, feel free to give the GeekRoller a play! If you want to write a short example paragraph go for it! #custom2{0;1} with # as the number of dice. Alive+Trait+Tag(s)+Dice Pool

And lastly - Hit me with your questions!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have subscribed to 3 threads, and I'll keep in mind the Thumbing.

With the In Char thread, you've posted some questions. I still need to read a bit more before I respond but I'll get on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
To all: Don't feel you have to write a massive dialogue at any time in this game. If you want to keep it simple and short until you get a feel for things feel free.

This game is one where you work together to tell an awesome story and have fun doing so. The details of that story are UP TO YOU. If you want steam punk, clockwork, aether driven or magic riddled events, put it out there. If you want to say in the OOC thread "Hey! how do you guys feel about #####" then do that. come to an agreement in this thread before posting to the in game thread.

As long as whatever you write doesn't break what's already out there then it's great

Also, feel free to wait before posting in the game thread - if you all want to chat a bit about things in here first I'm cool with that.

Also, there is a ****LOT**** of text up there at the top of this thread! If you need to ask me questions do so, even if you think it's a silly one - it's not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kerr
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I'm clear on the how I play the character, how would I narrate my hypothetical thief Bill who is trying to pick a lock? Which of these should I describe?

(a) How Bill will attempt to pick the lock (Bill carefully places his lockpick...)
(b) What modifiers apply to the attempt (Using his "Steady Hand" and "Lockpicking"...)
(c) The immediate consequences of the die roll (Unfortunately, just as he's turning the lockpick, he sneezes)
(d) The intermediate consequences of the die roll (Which causes him to jerk his hand, knocking the very obvious trap and spraying a poison cloud that fills his lungs with noxious fumes)
(e) Longer term consequences of the die roll(that will forever cause him a debilitating cough whenever he moves faster than a slow jog)

I'm likely overthinking this, and I'm sure you'll be making abundant corrections along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
straydawg wrote:
Just so I'm clear on the how I play the character, how would I narrate my hypothetical thief Bill who is trying to pick a lock? Which of these should I describe?

(a) How Bill will attempt to pick the lock (Bill carefully places his lockpick...)
(b) What modifiers apply to the attempt (Using his "Steady Hand" and "Lockpicking"...)
(c) The immediate consequences of the die roll (Unfortunately, just as he's turning the lockpick, he sneezes)
(d) The intermediate consequences of the die roll (Which causes him to jerk his hand, knocking the very obvious trap and spraying a poison cloud that fills his lungs with noxious fumes)
(e) Longer term consequences of the die roll(that will forever cause him a debilitating cough whenever he moves faster than a slow jog)

I'm likely overthinking this, and I'm sure you'll be making abundant corrections along the way.

Well now. Let's clear something right up - you play "Bill" however you want to play "Bill"!

How you play "Bill" is different to how I would play "Bill" and how we would play "Bill" is going to be different to how, say, Michael would play "Bill".

What you do want to do though is look at the initial introduction text, plus Cyrus's Traits and Tags and think what they might mean - from the intro text you know Cyrus is the captain of the Owl, is a smuggler and outlaw and on the run. What does that mean? What/who from? These are all things you may wish to look into during the game so have some ideas up your sleeves!

From his Traits and tags you know Cyrus is an Ex-Imperial Soldier of some ranking, and again it reinforces him as a smuggler but one who has kept out of reach all this time until now - when these women came on board and suddenly something/everything changed!

How you play Cyrus is up to you.

Now as to how you write, that is also your choice. Some people write in the 1st person: "I move my way down the corridor, trying to walk quietly, but fail to notice the nail sticking out of the wall and stab myself painfully in the side." Some write in the 3rd person: "Bill moves down the corridor, trying to be quiet, but doesn't see the nail jutting out. The next moment he is grimicing in pain as the nail cuts him deep." Some people move between the two.

How you work the Traits, Tags, Keys and Secrets in is once again up to you. You could write them in to the text, making them obvious somehow: "Bill uses his lockpicking skills, unravelling the bag with his tools and choosing the right ones for the job by appraising the lock mechanism...." or you might prefer to narrate normally and then put "Alive+Lockpicking+Appraise+Tools+...." after the text, followed by the roll.

If you do not want to guess the difficulty (standard of 3, 2 for easy, 4 for harder etc), or are unsure of the consequences then leave the result up to me to post or ask in OOC for clarification. If you feel happy guessing the difficulty feel free to EDIT your post, once you've seen the dice result, and carry on narrating either the success or failure of the roll. I may on occasion say "actually, I think given the circumstances that would have been a # difficulty - can you edit your post to reflect that?

My advice there would be to initially make the start text and the dice roll then wait for me to do a gm result post. At least until you all get into the swing of things and feel more comfortable taking the reins a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sarsany
United States
Hillsboro
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid & trivial question for me, but here goes....

Is there any way for me to default to a specific text color in a single forum only?

I'd like to use Orange for my IC text in the IC forum, but was looking for a simpler way to do so, rather than choosing from the text forecolor dropdown on the message post menu or cutting and pasting the "{COLOR=#FF9900}{/COLOR}" tags every time I post in the Lady Blackbird IC forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameless0ne wrote:
Stupid & trivial question for me, but here goes....

Is there any way for me to default to a specific text color in a single forum only?

I'd like to use Orange for my IC text in the IC forum, but was looking for a simpler way to do so, rather than choosing from the text forecolor dropdown on the message post menu or cutting and pasting the "{COLOR=#FF9900}{/COLOR}" tags every time I post in the Lady Blackbird IC forum.

Unfortunately no, you will need to manually do it for each post. Instead of remembering the hexadecimal you can use words though! So [color=orange ][/color] would work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |