Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Revisionist Challenge

We've all been there... finishing a game, not finishing a game, going back and looking at it and saying, "Wow... I could do so much better, if only I had the time!"

Well, now is that time! This challenge is all about taking some time in December to revise old RPGs or RPG ideas and work on them to get them into a state you are happy with.

Revisit a past idea, RPG you started, or RPG you completed for any contest on RPGG (or any site, or any non-contest - Really, I'm not picky.) Then polish your RPG up so it shines for the New Year.

This challenge runs from December 4th, 2016 through January 7th, 2017. Prizes to be handed out on January 7th (when I'm no longer on vacation...)

You win if you make any changes to your RPG you feel are for the better! What do you win? Some precious geekgold from my hoard. Amount to be decided with a random roll (because I love random rolls!) Everyone who enters will get some!

There won't be any judging - if you work on something, it is up to you to say if it is better than before.

What does better mean? That is also up to you. It can include: tightening up writing/syntax, changing the layout, adding art, cleaning formatting, fixing mechanics in game, editing, rewriting rules. Anything is fair game. Any time you spend counts, whether an hour or a week.

Please post what you are working on here: The Revisionist Challenge Submission Geeklist

Feel free to work on more than one game! However, geekgold will be allotted per person, not per game worked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Helper Challenge

But what if you haven't written or thought of an RPG to make one better? Or you don't have time to work on your own game?

No worries - we've got you covered! You can help someone else revise their RPG and still earn geekgold and accolades for working on the Revisionist Challenge!

If you help someone else with their RPG, that counts. Add what you are helping with to the geeklist here.

As with the Revisionist Challenge, geekgold will be allotted per person, not per game worked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
adularia25 wrote:
The Helper Challenge

But what if you haven't written or thought of an RPG to make one better? Or you don't have time to work on your own game?

No worries - we've got you covered! You can help someone else revise their RPG and still earn geekgold and accolades for working on the Revisionist Challenge!

If you help someone else with their RPG, that counts. Add what you are helping with to the geeklist here.

As with the Revisionist Challenge, geekgold will be allotted per person, not per game worked on.

For this one, do we just need to tell the other person we're working on their design or should the designer and helper be working together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! Now I need to decide what game to revise. I'm sure almost all of my games could do with some revisions but none have been playtested so I'm not sure what needs the overhaul most desperately

Maybe I'll finally format Babble, my entry for the 200 word RPG contest. I've had some ideas for that bumping around in my head for a while. I think the rules need serious work too but I would need to test them first. I might ignore the rules for now and focus on layout.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
For this one, do we just need to tell the other person we're working on their design or should the designer and helper be working together?
You don't need to work together with the designer, but it would be nice to let the designer know you are working on their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Lyon
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My BGG involvement has been fairly cursory so far, so I'm a bit confused about how to - or if - I should add an rpg. What I have in mind to work on for the Challenge is something I've run but was never quite developed enough to post or share as an anywhere-near-finished-or-presentable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Don't know what I want but I know how to get it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daz Florp Lebam wrote:
...about how to - or if - I should add an rpg...
How to:

Concise Guide to Data Entry

Full Guide to Data Entry

This also might help: Visual Guide to Data Entry on RPGGeek (V2)

You can also geekmail me directly with any questions.

Daz Florp Lebam wrote:
...or if...
Answer: YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to grab the shovel and dig out some buried projects!

Daz Florp Lebam wrote:
My BGG involvement has been fairly cursory so far, so I'm a bit confused about how to - or if - I should add an rpg. What I have in mind to work on for the Challenge is something I've run but was never quite developed enough to post or share as an anywhere-near-finished-or-presentable game.

If you don't want it in the database yet - still too rough or incomplete for your liking - you can also use the Unpublished Prototypes family to create a spot on the Geeklist. In the description, you could link out to the draft rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a super great idea. I wasn't able to complete my 24 hour RPG entry this year, so I'll finish it with this. Wahoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Daz Florp Lebam wrote:
...about how to - or if - I should add an rpg...
How to:

Concise Guide to Data Entry

Full Guide to Data Entry

This also might help: Visual Guide to Data Entry on RPGGeek (V2)

You can also geekmail me directly with any questions.

Daz Florp Lebam wrote:
...or if...
Answer: YES
An excellent and much more thorough answer than what I was planning on posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
This is such a super great idea. I wasn't able to complete my 24 hour RPG entry this year, so I'll finish it with this. Wahoo!
Thanks!

You weren't the only one... after seeing all those posts for the 24-Hour contest (and frankly, I have a backlog of projects I'd like to continue to improve) well, this just had to happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Great idea! Unfortunately, I'm way overloaded as it is and that won't go away anytime soon. Some day though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Great idea! Unfortunately, I'm way overloaded as it is and that won't go away anytime soon. Some day though.
I plan on running this again next year - I always have more games to revise! I'll probably run it earlier than December too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

I plan on running this again next year - I always have more games to revise! I'll probably run it earlier than December too...

Seasonally, maybe? Seeing as how it's a non-voting participation contest, and everyone's got a backlog of things they "mean to get around to"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've two 24 RPG entries that could do with a lot of fleshing out: Dicey and Meeple

I doubt I'm up to either before the end of this year due to ongoing medical issues.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw... well I hope the issues are sorted out soon - best of luck dealing with all that!

Hopefully you can join in next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

Seasonally, maybe? Seeing as how it's a non-voting participation contest, and everyone's got a backlog of things they "mean to get around to"
Totally thought I responded to this - but I see I didn't. shake

I'd be up for running this 2-3 times a year, so that my backlog of games to revise gets shorter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I'd be up for running this 2-3 times a year, so that my backlog of games to revise gets shorter!

We can alternate between labelling it Northern Spring/Summer and Southern Spring/Summer Revision Challenges so it's always sunny in gamejam land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could move gamejam land to San Diego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I've sent the additional microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a good idea and I'm interested but nothing will happen before Christmas. Maybe that week between Christmas and New Year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
I've two 24 RPG entries that could do with a lot of fleshing out: Dicey and Meeple

I doubt I'm up to either before the end of this year due to ongoing medical issues.

Pauli
That's too bad but there's always next year! I hope the issues can be resolved soon!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I'm going to make it this year. Sickness through early December unfortunately means I'm still pushing to make deadlines now so not too much time for gaming or revising.

Looking forward to the next one, though! Just about all my games need revising so maybe I'll use the extra time to decide which one to tackle first laugh

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad - I haven't had time to revise any of mine yet either! shake

I'm really hoping that over vacation next week I'll be able to get some nice solid time in!

I plan on running the next one of these in April - and after that again in September. (times are not set... need to see what else is going on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
We could always push everything back a week to better accommodate the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |