The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Genesys Core Rulebook
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game
Fiasco
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
Explosive Runes (Issue 22 - Jun 2017)
Star Frontiers
Dragonbone Electronic Dice
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Lone Wolf Adventure Game
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Volo's Guide to Monsters
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition Storyteller Screen
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
Dogs in the Vineyard
Monster Manual (D&D 3.5e)
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Ivinia: The Viking Lands
World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game
Eberron Campaign Setting
Minions
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Empire of the Petal Throne
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Deadlands Noir
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mass Effect RPG
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Princes of the Apocalypse
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Ten Candles
Explosive Runes (Issue 11 - Feb 2011)
Storm King's Thunder
Alien Archive
Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
Out of the Woods
Legacy of Lies
Stuhvve Durkey
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Steve Dubya wrote:
Okay, need to remember how to do this as I attempt it so infrequently...
Transparency test wrote:

From the a request via the 2017 RPG Geek Microbadge Creation Initiative, I give you...



Group: Role-Playing Related
Grouping Description: [Open to suggestions on this one; maybe none?]
Name: Open Game License (OGL)
Mouseover Text: [Again, here I'm open to suggestion. I'm leaning toward quoting the opening lines of the OGL: "The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc ("Wizards"). All Rights Reserved."]

Grouping is mandatory, so it has to have some kind of grouping information. It doesn't matter so much what you pick these days, as the grouping is visible on the badge's page, in case you ever need to group another badge with it. So you could go with the same text as the name of the badges, for example.

As for the badge itself, maybe make the letters shorter? They look way too thin and tall compared to the only srouce image I could find with quick Googling:


Two alternatives, one with border, one without.



Quote:

I'm thinking the border one is just untenable. Also:
Kattvippa wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
So far, though, only veterans seem to be submitting badges - it was my hope that the creation initiative would spark some new microbadge designers into creating something...I'll have to work on that!

There's a steep learning curve to microbadging and maybe therefore people find it a bit intimidating?

In my case it's less "learning curve" than "kludge as hard as you can."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By request, Starfinder:

<


Do I need to brighten the orange more? Or is it good?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:

Two alternatives, one with border, one without.



The mb should still be 16 x 16, with a transparent background as necessary. Your OGL is 11 x 16.

Since you have room on the top and bottom, perhaps a suggestion of a border, something along the lines of


Maybe a little more on the right side, maybe a little softer black. Feel free to play with it if it's helpful.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
By request, Starfinder:

<


Do I need to brighten the orange more? Or is it good?


I don't think the orange needs to be brighter, but I almost miss the brighter spot on the curve of the S for a little interest.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice.
badge
BLAM BLAM BLAM!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
By request, Starfinder:

<


Do I need to brighten the orange more? Or is it good?

No, its already brighter than the source - and that's enough.

Can you take something away from the S at its upper left corner? It looks more like a 5 to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
[q="edbolme"]By request, Starfinder:

<


Do I need to brighten the orange more? Or is it good?


>


Plus a small amount taken away from the curved for Carsten.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuhvve Durkey
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Since you have room on the top and bottom, perhaps a suggestion of a border, something along the lines of


Maybe a little more on the right side, maybe a little softer black. Feel free to play with it if it's helpful.

Here's with and without transparency for the background.


wrote:
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
RUDEolph.
badge
What do you call Santa's most impolite reindeer?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:

I think the white background really helps the letters stand out. Especially the L which looks trimmed or crowded. But the "transparency commandment" implies that the badge design may be faulty if it is not sufficient quality to be submitted without a background that is not integral to the badge design in the first place.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Since the logo has a white background and a black border, if going with the border design, I think there is a case to be made to keep the white as well.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mb
indigopotter wrote:
Since the logo has a white background and a black border, if going with the border design, I think there is a case to be made to keep the white as well.

Absolutely. The transparency is a requirement, unless there's a really good reason to have a white background.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we treating Starfinder as completely separate from Pathfinder?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mb
edbolme wrote:
Are we treating Starfinder as completely separate from Pathfinder?

I would start a new folder for it, as it is its own independent RPG, even though it uses the Pathfinder system.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you want new designers you need to start a thread where people can suggest a design, get feedback from 1 or 2 people and then get approved. I realize this probably runs counter to the notion that everyone must have their say on every badge. I'm not going to become a microbadge designer, but I can tell you that the prospect of 7 or 8 experienced designers giving me sometimes conflicting advice is a daunting one.

Another thought might be to just assign a single coach to each person with a new design. I think if you picked from designers who have earned some of the design awards, it would help. The could conduct their discussion over email and have it be somewhat private. People who aren't confidant in their abilities aren't likely to post in a spot where everyone will see how "bad" their design is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mb
sdonohue wrote:
I think if you want new designers you need to start a thread where people can suggest a design, get feedback from 1 or 2 people and then get approved. I realize this probably runs counter to the notion that everyone must have their say on every badge. I'm not going to become a microbadge designer, but I can tell you that the prospect of 7 or 8 experienced designers giving me sometimes conflicting advice is a daunting one.

Not eveyrone has to have their say on every badge, but there is a good reason for this feedback thread to exist. So many microbadges (even from the veteran designers) have gotten much better after some or a lot of feedback in this thread. It's SO easy to become very blind to your own design when you stare at the tiny area for too long by yourself.

Having said this, I still remember how daunting everything felt when I started microbadging. All we can do is to try to be as friendly as possibly and as helpful as possible. The purpose of this thread is, has never been or ever will be to trash anyone's designs, no matter how bad they would be. The purpose is to get feedback and help to create better looking microbadges.

sdonohue wrote:
Another thought might be to just assign a single coach to each person with a new design. I think if you picked from designers who have earned some of the design awards, it would help. The could conduct their discussion over email and have it be somewhat private. People who aren't confidant in their abilities aren't likely to post in a spot where everyone will see how "bad" their design is.

I do like this idea. If some veteran microbadgers would feel up for the task, this might help a lot. So it could be something like the new PbF GM initiative, where veteran microbadgers could jump in to help new microbadgers. There's also this extremely useful and helpful geeklist with tons of advice for new microbadgers:

Creating Microbadges - Hints, Help, and How to avoid common mistakes

this list contains most of the tricks and advice a new microbadger would need.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[listitem=5583794]Requested[/listitem]: Ysgarth





The request is that the badge represent the whole RPG family (six editions of Ysgarth). When I submit it, does it simply get submitted like this?

Folder: Role-Playing Games > Ysgarth {new folder}
Grouping Description / Name / Mouseover: Ysgarth RPG fan
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenacious Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
Avatar
mbmb
RPG Bushido

Sauce:





Thoughts? Suggestions?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Requested:

- Arduin RPG fan

Source:

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Want to join a boardgaming club in Zuid-Limburg? www.BoardGamingInc.be
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaid Slauson wrote:
[listitem=5583794]Requested[/listitem]: Ysgarth





The request is that the badge represent the whole RPG family (six editions of Ysgarth). When I submit it, does it simply get submitted like this?

Folder: Role-Playing Games > Ysgarth {new folder}
Grouping Description / Name / Mouseover: Ysgarth RPG fan


I really liked
as well... I think you should poll both.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mb
Sjeng wrote:
Quaid Slauson wrote:
[listitem=5583794]Requested[/listitem]: Ysgarth





The request is that the badge represent the whole RPG family (six editions of Ysgarth). When I submit it, does it simply get submitted like this?

Folder: Role-Playing Games > Ysgarth {new folder}
Grouping Description / Name / Mouseover: Ysgarth RPG fan


I really liked
as well... I think you should poll both.

I really like that bordered one!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this PbF GM initiative of which you speak?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mb
edbolme wrote:
What is this PbF GM initiative of which you speak?

Here's a linky that explains it all:

2016 PbF GM Initiative - Now for new and dormant GMs!

Hopefully there will be new ones too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Sjeng wrote:
Quaid Slauson wrote:
[listitem=5583794]Requested[/listitem]: Ysgarth





The request is that the badge represent the whole RPG family (six editions of Ysgarth). When I submit it, does it simply get submitted like this?

Folder: Role-Playing Games > Ysgarth {new folder}
Grouping Description / Name / Mouseover: Ysgarth RPG fan


I really liked
as well... I think you should poll both.

I really like that bordered one!

Thank you, both. modest The requester liked the transparent background best. I could ask him if he would consider a change.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Want to join a boardgaming club in Zuid-Limburg? www.BoardGamingInc.be
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/220776/item/5577573#item5...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to design more RPG badges, but I just haven't had the time this year. I imagine I might have more time come October, or November, but I can't possibly compete with the speed of those who are jumping in to make badges right away.

As someone who in the past had gotten a badge started, only to have a veteran microbadger swoop in to get an idea out before I could, it can be rather disappointing, and I could see it leading to someone perhaps walking away from designing microbadges if they start something, and then see someone else get a more polished idea out before they could polish theirs.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'd love to design more RPG badges, but I just haven't had the time this year. I imagine I might have more time come October, or November, but I can't possibly compete with the speed of those who are jumping in to make badges right away.

As someone who in the past had gotten a badge started, only to have a veteran microbadger swoop in to get an idea out before I could, it can be rather disappointing, and I could see it leading to someone perhaps walking away from designing microbadges if they start something, and then see someone else get a more polished idea out before they could polish theirs.


It is for this reason that I often post an initial rough. Most (not all) badgers won't swoop in once someone has demonstrated that they are working on it. So if you have something super-basic, post it. Then you can take time to polish with no (well, less) fear of swoopery.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  50 , 51 , 52 , 53 , 54  Next »  [66] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.