Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: music [+] [View All]
Dave Woodrum
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is there any particular music that folks play when working on a new game design, a home brewed adventure or campaign setting, etc.?

For me, there's the following...

The Fixx-Reach The Beach- this was the first album and band that I really got into independently (aka no family or friend influences) as a child. When I got the D&D Box Set and started to make my own adventures and such I was listening to this album over and over.

Thomas Dolby- The Golden Age Of Wireless- I was listening to this a lot when I was first playing Villains & Vigilantes and making up characters. Later, as I had the awesome fortune to actually design professionally some V&V product I went back to it for inspiration.

Devo- various albums- See Thomas Dolby- The Golden Age Of Wireless above.

Doro- Something Wicked This Way Comes- I listened to this song over and over and over and over and (etc.) when I was working on Dark Lust, the first expansion for Exiles Of The Wicked Maze.

Ministry- Another Lesson Unlearned- Played quite a bit during some of my early developments of my unfinished post apocalypse role playing game.

Nazareth- No Mean City- I can listen to it for many genres, and have done so when working on things.

Alice Cooper- Raise Your Fist And Yell- I played this along side several punk rock selections when working on a Cyberpunk 2013 setting back in college.

Judas Priest- various pre- British Steel tracks- I play a lot of very early priest when working on more savage/barbaric fantasy related projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds a bit arty farty, but the only music I can write adventure to is Blue Note Jazz.

It's nearly all instrumental so I don't get lyrically distracted, and the abstract nature of it seems to get my creative juices flowing.

Have to say though, did used to love me some British Metal when playing Punk back in the day cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I write all of my adventures to music of some kind... often something that just rocks like Van Halen or Led Zeppelin. But my best work comes when playing instrumental stuff like the Tron Legacy soundtrack (my last adventure was written with this on loop for weeks).

During games, I generally don't play music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always playing music when thinking about or writing notes for an upcoming session.

Usually this will be some Reggae or Dub. The lyrical sparseness of Hollie Cook or Sound Iration work well for this. Sometimes though I want to put some oomph into my slow creative processes and then I will play some up tempo music, maybe Ska or Punk...Anti Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Skints, Dub Pistols or my current favourite Slim Cessna's Auto Club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Woodrum
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Methsdrinker wrote:

Sounds a bit arty farty, but the only music I can write adventure to is Blue Note Jazz.

It's nearly all instrumental so I don't get lyrically distracted, and the abstract nature of it seems to get my creative juices flowing.

Have to say though, did used to love me some British Metal when playing Punk back in the day cool

Actually it makes sense- back when I did a lot of programming and web design work I would mainly listen to techno/rave/electronica tracks... the lack of vocals and such would help keep me more focused on the task at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Woodrum
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Mavis101 wrote:
I always playing music when thinking about or writing notes for an upcoming session.

Usually this will be some Reggae or Dub. The lyrical sparseness of Hollie Cook or Sound Iration work well for this. Sometimes though I want to put some oomph into my slow creative processes and then I will play some up tempo music, maybe Ska or Punk...Anti Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Skints, Dub Pistols or my current favourite Slim Cessna's Auto Club.

Dub Pistols! Awesomeness! Around here (Appalachian Mountains) I'm in a tiny, tiny minority of folks who has ever heard of them- and I discovered them by accident- I bought a various artists cd years ago from a local charity run thrift store that had "Official Chemical" on it.

As far as reggae/dub goes I'm a big Black Uhuru fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Woodrum wrote:
Dub Pistols! Awesomeness! Around here (Appalachian Mountains) I'm in a tiny, tiny minority of folks who has ever heard of them- and I discovered them by accident- I bought a various artists cd years ago from a local charity run thrift store that had "Official Chemical" on it.

Great stuff. If you like Dub Pistols you should try The Skints, Gentleman's Dub Club and Hollie Cook, a bit more laid back but beautiful music made by the daughter of one of the Sex Pistols.

Oh and I have tipped you 30GG for an avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Woodrum
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Total thanks man!
Hollie Cook- I presume Paul Cook's daughter. I'll definitely check that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls