Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had any experience with the Mysterious Package Company?

https://www.mysteriouspackage.com

I love prop making and have more than my fair share of "You receive a mysterious (package/letter/crate) in the mail" games in the past. Heck, I'm prepping to run The Armitage Files soon. For the longest time I've wanted to do something like this for a friend. Send them random props and bits in the mail in unmarked envelopes to tell a story, but it seems there's a company already doing it. I disregarded their ads for their kickstarter on facebook for the longest time because I'm over the whole "lootcrate/geekcrate/mancrate/whatevercrate" ads, but I guess between their most recent one mentioning Lovecraft and me reading Armitage Files, I felt compelled to actually click and look into them. This looks like a really cool basis for a game. I'm thinking of ordering an experience and using the props for a Call of Cthulhu campaign, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the company? The reviews are good, but it's better to hear from someone you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have second (third?) hand knowledge as a friend-of-a-friend has gotten something by them (though my friend is certainly interesting in doing it too).

Their package is a delightful mix of antique items, such as period newspaper clippings, vintage photographs, and other delightful bits (that I don't specifically remember).

My friend and I were interested in it because of our love of history, and we are both interested in being writers, and the boxes seems to contain bits of what historians dream about - and a nice fictional story to go with.

I could see them working quite well for period props for various RPGs.

Quite frankly, if they were hiring, I would definitely apply, as it is the type of pseudo-sleuthing and storytelling that I'd love to be a part of... not to mention I know how to craft all kinds of "authentic" old items...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I can't stop thinking about this thing, and the potential it has. I think I'm going to break down and back the Kickstarter. Maybe order one for a friend as well so I can sort of enjoy by proxy the feeling of getting one and not knowing it is coming or what it is or what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Don't know what I want but I know how to get it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered one of their "experiences" for my sister who will go nuts for it. The first package has shipped but she hasn't mentioned getting it yet. I'll try to let you know if/and/what happens.

I didn't do their KS - seems a little pricy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
I didn't do their KS - seems a little pricy.

It does at that. I can't find any indication as to the price for their usual fare. Anyone able to provide some insight?

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I researched it. They usually run between one and two hundred CAD for two to four mailings (akin to the bronze and silver levels). This one, they say, is more because they wanted to do one of larger scope. The full "diamond" experience is a bit bigger than their usual (initially six mailings, now 8 with the interlude and bonus chapter stretch goals unlocked), so they did kickstarter I guess to help find the bigger overhead and to check the feasibility/interest one one of this scope?

Source: compiled from several websites and an interview they posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the details.

The international postage at C$150 for the diamond experience is somewhat off putting.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Youch! That's rough! Even with one of the smaller pledge levels, that'd be a beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah C$99 postage for the bronze and C$150 from there on up.

Ouchy.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Watch
msg tools
I think at one time the Mysterious Package Company might have been really cool. They did a Kickstarter last year and received so much funding that they are now not able to keep up with either orders or quality. Receiving a large amount of funding should be a good thing, unless it swamps them and destroys the integrity of their product.

The products are pricy too. I ordered a $400 package, which was steep, but it seemed so cool I went for it. My first shipment was sent out very late. It was for a gift, I told them that, and by the time it was sent it was 5 weeks late. The description said it would include handwritten notes. It did not. Very cheap looking photocopied notes. So bad that the recipient thought that it was some cheap marketing material and almost threw it away without reading it. The rest of the mailings were supposed to go out in 1 week increments. Then they moved them to two weeks, now they have just stopped even shipping it seems.

They have also stopped all customer service. At first they were responsive, saying that they were missing pieces and that was the reason for the delay. Now they do not respond at all. It has been two weeks since I sent them an email asking for an updated shipping date. Just crickets in response.

If you are interested in this game, I would say to wait and see if they can survive this. It doesn't look like it at this time and I'm pretty sure I made a pricy mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selene Tan
msg tools
mb
The gist of Emily Short's recent review is "Great artifacts, mediocre writing, poor delivery estimates."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Don't know what I want but I know how to get it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done two, both to other people. The artifacts are ace. Really cool. The packaging and shipping are fine. They do not ship as fast as they say, that is true. But for me, for both, everything they said would happen, happened, and everything they said would ship, shipped.

They are really fun. But very spendy. I (personally) don't think it would be much fun to buy one for yourself, because then you obviously know it's not real. When it just shows up in somebody's mail, though, and the way they start it off, it does seem legit.

My recipients both told me that it started off as a "huh? weird..." and then was followed by "seriously, what is this?". By the time the third delivery was made they were both hook-line-and-sinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be careful when wanting to get packages of mystery stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
Just be careful when wanting to get packages of mystery stuff.

There are actual Bobcat in a Box algorithms you can use to get random one dollar items like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls