United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Thanks for the names! I'll add them to the list. :)

My wife has some awesome names from the past presidents of her college.

I'll see if I can get her to send me the link.

Okay, so fun past presidents of Saint Mary's College of CA.

Brother Bettelin McMahon
Brother Yvasian Michael Dorgan
Brother Erminold Walter O'Donnell
Brother Zenonian Brannan
Brother Florinus Peter Doyle
Brother Fabrician Pellerin
Brother Vantasian Sharkey
Brother Z. Leo Meehan [Dying to know what the Z stood for]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow! Those are superb names!! Fabrician... Vantasian Sharkey surprise That's a winner for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendid collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At of all the names on your list, the one that made me do a serious double take was Floride. That’s off the charts!

I know people with some of the names on your list, or at least with very similar names.

Male
Chance (Chancey)

Female
Aletha (Altha)
Rowena (Roena)
Dixie

Surname
Bacon
McNutt (MacNutt)
Padget
Quast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caroline, since you are in Western Washington, you might recognize these road names that cross various highways:

Asahel Curtis Road
Wallace Kneeland Blvd
Hurley Waldrip Road
Kitchen-Dick Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaid Slauson wrote:
Splendid collection!
Thanks! It is the culmination of two years of reading history books as my job.

Quaid Slauson wrote:
At of all the names on your list, the one that made me do a serious double take was Floride. That’s off the charts!
Mine is probably Philander, hopefully before philanderer was used as an insult...

Quaid Slauson wrote:
Caroline, since you are in Western Washington, you might recognize these road names that cross various highways:

Asahel Curtis Road
Wallace Kneeland Blvd
Hurley Waldrip Road
Kitchen-Dick Road
Hah! Those are great! I'm going to have to add them to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
World Cup Final 14th July 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a current South African cricketer with the name of Vernon Philander. I guess it has more of a meaning like Philip ('lover of horses') than a guy who plays around in Afrikaans.

That reminds me of Philip K Dick's deconstruction of his own name, used as an alter ego in some of his last books: Horselover Fat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohannas Mamamas
United States
Laie
Hawaii
flag msg tools
"Silver Throne Everlasting Pennypicker"

That name right there...

Do you reckon I can talk the wife into having one last kid? Obviously I cannot tell her why. It will have to be a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohannas Mamamas
United States
Laie
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Whoa... someone named Silver Throne has a Facebook profile:
https://www.facebook.com/silver.throne?fref=ts

She is engaged to Arhz Uruk, of course.

- - -
EDIT: And naturally two of her 6 friends are named "Ete Tetetet" and "Poshi Rckr Doofenshmirtz" because of course they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yomama360 wrote:
Silver Throne Everlasting Pinkney

He was quite the character.

The name is religious in nature, though it was never as common as other religious names in that era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered a cookbook author with... what I can only imagine is a pen-name? Only she seams to be writing completely non-fantasy cookbooks, one of which won a James Beard award. So I'm kind of hoping this is her real actual name.

Crescent Dragonwagon

Oh wait, I just found her website, and this is her actual legal name. She changed it to the above when she was young in the 1960's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohannas Mamamas
United States
Laie
Hawaii
flag msg tools
adularia25 wrote:
yomama360 wrote:
Silver Throne Everlasting Pinkney
Yeah, I just liked Pennypicker better. I can name my kid what I want, ok!

Also, I'm from Hawaii. People here like to do strange things with names. I'm not just talking about some excessively long Polynesian middle name. Although that's quite the tradition here, as well as in most of Polynesia. And yes we do find pleasure in filling out official forms that only allow for a light-weight 24 characters per name and we smirk trying to break it. We also get amusement out of seeing names incompletely printed on forms, tickets, documents, bulk mail, etc... And yes, we do find it funny when mainlanders come to visit and all the street names look the same to them.

I digress. Traditional naming conventions aside, here are some examples: I went to school with a guy named "Datsun" because he was born in the back seat of a datsun. Not a joke. There was another guy named "Christmas." Guess what day he was born.

You might be thinking "poor guys, they must have gotten picked on a lot." Nope, they were both huge Samoan linebackers. So when they introduced themselves, you had to keep a straight face for your own safety.

I had a good friend named "Conan" which isn't too far out, except his parents were open and serious about having named him after the Barbarian.

My kid is going to school with a girl named "Abcde." Pronounced "Ab-sa-dee." Also not a joke. At least not that I'm aware of. (In case you missed it, that's the first 5 letters of the alphabet.)

polycrafty, that reminds me. I live near the North Shore and there are a lot of hippie types that moved there in the 60's. So we get a lot of strange interesting and unique hippie stuff too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohannas Mamamas
United States
Laie
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Sorry, but this was too good not to mention. I lived in Utah for a few years. They kind of have a unique naming convention trend.

And I'm not talking about religious / scripture names. This video is great. If you've spent more than 2 weeks in Utah I guarantee you will laugh.

* Bonus points for the hair styles (also fairly accurate).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIehCrO4Zs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Required reading: http://www.nameoftheyear.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the groups my husband works with as his other job, has a woman named Cherry Pancake. Yes, that is her real birth name, no she didn't change it.

However, I do prefer in specializing in awesome and real historic names, rather than modern names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
Those are some great names!

Odd Hackwelder is actually a member of BGG and can frequently be found participating in design contests, and runs the 18 Card Microgame contest in the fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:

Indeed!

Congrats to Amanda Miranda Panda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there aren't necessarily tons of sports fans on the 'Geek, but the NFL is a rich wellspring of naming variation...

This year the San Francisco 49ers had to start Jaquiski Tartt because of an injury. I have savored hearing that name all season. Tartt is pronounced as you would imagine and Mr. Tartt's first name is pronounced Jah-KWAS-Ki.

Just lovely.

Taking a glance at the roster there are some other really cool names including Busta Anderson, Tank Carradine, and Ray-Ray Armstrong.

One of my favoritely (not a word, I know) named players of all time retired in 2008... Ebenezer Ekuban. Now that is a handle to be jealous of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some more great names from the 1900s.

First Names, Male:
Delcevare

Surnames:
Fishback
Sklar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried finding this on the list and couldn't, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

FIFA was electing a new president and a member just dropped out of eligibility:

Tokyo Sexwale

I wish he would have stayed in, can you imagine President Tokyo Sexwale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a duplicate!

It's just that the names in the list on the first page are: American names from the 1800s to the early 1900s

So, it's not a comprehensive list... I had to draw the line somewhere.

I have a number of great modern names I could add to it:

Female First Names:
Mamartha
Norleen
Thanuja

Male First Names:
Jamshid

Surnames:
Cannon
Chromy
Honari
Iriye
Lightbody
Rhin
Skora
Shyn
Sparks
Sylte
Thotingal
Vitrone
Wrinkle

Awesome Full Name:
Lore Friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have run across an Othniel recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I should probably create a second list for modern names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I found this list of British last names useful. http://surnames.behindthename.com/names/usage/english
But that site looks like it has even more features at the top level: http://www.behindthename.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I found this list of British last names useful. http://surnames.behindthename.com/names/usage/english
But that site looks like it has even more features at the top level: http://www.behindthename.com/
I've used behindthename before, particularly when I want the history behind a specific name.

However, this list started from reading history books about America, as not all real names make it into websites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |