The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Outworlder
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Tome of Mysteries
The Animal Companion
Beyond Bightwater
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Land of Og
In The Labyrinth
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Arrowflight (1st Edition)
Night's Edge
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Wealthy Literary Connoisseur Has Stepped Out Of The Room While You
Fate Core System
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
The Sundered Land
Whisper & Venom
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Spellbook Cards: Elemental
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Curse of Strahd
Volo's Guide to Monsters
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Alien Archive
Starfinder #001: Incident at Absalom Station
Tomb of Annihilation
PROJECT: Borg
Starfinder #007: The Reach of Empire
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Starfinder Beginner Box
Protostar Mission Guide
The House of Torment
Battles Beyond The Sea
Deadly Stowaway
Aboard the Osmorton
Oceanic Options (5E)
Treasures of the Sea
Seafarer's Supplement
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Power Behind the Throne
Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All
James Bond 007
Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
648 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

The One Ring» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] The Secret of Minas Anghen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2015 [+] [View All]
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC thread is here, character list is here.

The Fellowship finds itself in the Easterly Inn, which is situated on the eastern banks of the River Anduin. It is halfway between the Old Ford (where the road from the High Pass over the Misty Mountains crosses the Anduin and turns into the Old Forest Road across Mirkwood) and the Forest Gate (the start of the Elf Road across Mirkwood, which ends at the gates of the Halls of the Elven King).


The inn is run by a Hobbit called Dodinas Brandybuck -- 'Dody' for friends, and it takes only about fifteen minutes before anyone who walks into the door is a friend of his. Dody works the tables, always ready for a bit of friendly chatter. He makes sure that tankards of ale and goblets of wine are always topped up!
His wife Agatha assists him, and she makes sure that the guest chambers are always spotlessly clean. (She does stand on proper table manners, which is not, traditionally, a strong point in the education of the local Beorning population. Slowly, she is making progress in educating her less cultured visitors in the proper use of napkins.)

For Marmadas and Milo:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You know that Agatha is of the Took family, which means she probably has an adventurous streak like most of the Tooks. She is indeed unfazed by anything that happens to her family here out in the Wilds. But she is still very much a Hobbit woman: the Hobbit rooms where you are staying have been meticulously decorated to feel like home.

Their sons, Dando and Rodry, can often be found roaming the lands around the Inn, or caring for the horses and ponies of the visitors. The family dog, an inquisitive and quite large specimen that goes by the name of Shadrach, follows them around to make sure they stay out of trouble.

For Vulfila:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You recognise Shadrach as one of Beorn's wondrous dogs, but the Hobbits don't seem to know that, and the visiting Beornings keep it that way. The dog was probably sent by Beorn to keep an eye on things and to keep the Hobbits safe.

The kitchen is run by Dody's younger brother, Dinodas, who is rarely seen in the common room. The food is excellent, even by Hobbit standards, and it all passes through Dinodas' hands -- except for the sausage rolls, which are Agatha's specialty.
Almost the opposite of Dody, Dinodas seems to dislike loud noises and he is afraid of strangers. The rare instances that he has been seen, his demeanor seemed like a scared rabbit, ready to run away at the first sight of trouble. There must have been a traumatic experience in his past...

For Lymernil:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Once, when a particularly loud group of Beornings came to visit and things got louder and louder as the mead flowed, you heard Dinodas call from the kitchen: "Oh no! I must cook faster, or they will eat me!"
It took Dody a few minutes to calm him down and to assure him that he was safe...

There is also a small trading post -- little more than a wooden barn stacked with crates and barrels. This is run by a Dwarf with a keen eye for profit, assisted by a motley crew of various plumage. They do good business: selling quality goods from the workshops of Dale and Lake-town and weapons made of Dwarven steel, and buying honey and herbs and woodcrafts from the Beornings and the Woodmen. It is also the main source of supplies for the Inn.

For Dagny:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You have been here before your adventuring days, as part of a trading caravan that supplied the trading post. You were not impressed with the building itself, but the wide selection of practical goods (household items, manufactured goods and things like that) seemed very popular with the locals. Your caravan took a cargo of craft goods from the Shire back to Dale, and your boss made a tidy profit.

The Fellowship has been staying at the Inn for a few days now after their most recent adventure. The comfortable beds heal your tired hearts -- there are even Hobbit-rooms for Milo and Maramadas. The food is excellent (if a bit much for anyone without a Hobbit constitution) and Dody has ales from the Shire, mead from the Vales of the Anduin and wine from Dale on cask.

One evening, when the Inn is not particularly busy, you are all sitting at a table not far from the fire, nursing a tankard of your favorite beverage. A tall Beorning enters the common room. He wears a felt hat with a sea-shell pinned on it, and comfortable travel clothes. He is lean and muscular and walks with the easy confidence of someone who knows his way around. He is greeted enthusiastically by Dody and Agatha who call him Iwgar, and he gets the best seat in front of the fire. Dody immediately serves him a tankard of the best mead, on the house. And then even Dinodas comes out of the kitchen to greet Iwgar as an old and dear friend, taking a small tray of the choicest sweetmeats with him. Iwgar greets him like one would greet their favorite nephew, and gladly accepts the tray of sweets.

For Vulfila:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You know Iwgar. He is well-traveled, but after he took a poisoned Goblin arrow to the side, he stays close to home. His experience has made him one of Beorn's advisors on matters of travel and trade.

After a brief chat, Dinodas goes back the kitchen, casting furtive glances at all the others present in the common room. Then Iwgar's broad smile slowly disappears from his face, and he looks gravely to Dody. He speaks, loud enough for everybody in the common room to hear him clearly.
"I fear I bring bad tidings, Dody. These past few months, more and more traders and travelers have been attacked between the Old Ford and the High Pass. Not by Goblins or Orcs, but by Men. They attack all who resist, not hesitating to kill any opposition. And then they take the horses and the goods to the north, leaving the dead and wounded by the side of the road.
Anything that is bad for the trade with the lands to the West is bad for all the Free Peoples: besides generating wealth, it fosters good-will between the Peoples, and this good-will might be hard to come by in the years to come. The victory at the Lonely Mountain was hard-won, and our current life needs defending every day from the likes of Mirkwood Orcs and Misty Mountain Goblins -- we can not afford to also have evil Men at our doorsteps!
But we are stretched thin. The few expeditions we have managed to outfit to find the bandits and their hideout have turned up nothing. And when we tried hiding men among the traders to lure the bandits out, they did not turn up. It is as if they can see us coming from far, and know what we are up to.
I am looking for a group of able heroes to take on the challenge of routing the bandits and learning their secret, and I was hoping I could find some here..."

As Iwgar falls silent, Dody immediately looks towards your group. Iwgar, who has followed his gaze, smiles at you and gets up. He gives Dody a little pat on the shoulder, and comes towards you. He pulls up a chair and sits down. "Dody tells me that you are adventurous folk who can be trusted. I am looking for shrewd adventurers who can take care of a problem for all of us."
Meanwhile, Dody smiles broadly at you all. He tops up everybody's drink, and puts a plate of Agatha's sausage rolls on the table.

For Haldred:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You know that Iwgar speaks the truth when he talks about Mirkwood Orcs on the doorsteps of the Beornings. During your rambles close to the forest eaves, you have spotted tracks of Orc patrols. But you have also found tracks of human patrols, and have come across a skirmish site more than once. Splotches of black Orc blood on the trunks of the trees showed that the Beornings take their chosen task of keepers of the Vale of the Anduin quite seriously.
12 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
Japan
Fukuoka
flag msg tools
badge
A very irregular head
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo, his attention largely focussed on the newly arrived sausage rolls, replies in his usual gregarious fashion, "Shrewd adventurers? That sounds like us. And who might you be my good man?"

Succumbing to temptation, he reaches for a roll before gesturing to Iwgar to do the same "Take a roll, my friend, they're really jolly good." he says.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well I think Mr. Dodinas is mistaking. We are not that kind of people. At least I am not that kind of person. I am a well respected hobbit and we dont chase thieves in the wild", said Marmadas with a worried look in his face. He has asked for adventures but that one seems really dangerous.




Endurance: 22, Fatigue: 9, Hope: 18, Shadow: 0
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iwgar looks from Milo to Marmadas and raises an eyebrow.
"Clearly you are companions, and one of you insists you are adventurers, and the other that you are not! The mere fact that you Hobbits are here speaks of your adventurous nature, and I trust Master Brandybuck's judgement in this -- he has a keen eye for people!
As for me, I am Iwgar. They call me Longlegs, because in my youth I travelled all over. These days I stay close at home, advising Master Beorn in matters concerning trade. It is not in our nature to be widely travelled or to be shrewd traders, but we invite any and all of good will to visit us and show us their wares.
With the current troubles with these bandits, trade has lessened. This not only affects us, but also the people of Dale and the Dwarves of Erebor!"

With that, he nods at Dagny.
"If you could help us with this, we will make sure it is worth your while!"

You can choose to appoint a spokesperson for the group, or each character could introduce themselves individually to Iwgar. If you want to impress Iwgar with your prowess, you could roll for Awe. If you want to make nice with him, you can choose to roll on Courtesy.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lymernil, Mirkwood Elf Warden
Endurance: 25, Fatigue: 11, Hope: 11, Shadow: 0

Lymernil smiles as she listens to the two hobbits contradicting each other. Whether Marmadas will own to being an adventurer or not, she has seen enough of both of them to know that they are stout-hearted companions, well able to face danger even if they don't go looking for it.

She listens to Iwgar's account and thinks it over. It seems the threat, if there is one, is far from her own home, and she is not much interested in trade or the dealings of men. But as a fellowship, there are bonds that tie their group together. And if there is a threat to innocent travelers, she would feel bound to oppose it. If the others want to go, they can count on her. She sits back and listens to see where the conversation will go.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulfila

Endurance: 29 Fatigue: 16 Hope: 13 Shadow: 0

Vulfila sits back in his chair, takes a deep draught from his mug of ale, and considers Iwgar's words. Then he stands, resting the head of his axe on the floor.

"I am Vulfila, son of Atta. I was returning to my home, north of here near the Upper Vales. I have business there with any orcs unfortunate enough to cross my path." He then glances over at Marmadas and Milo, and says in a not unkindly tone: "Though my friends here have been doing their best to keep me from my purpose."

Vulfila is using Awe to see if there is any spark of name recognition in Iwgar's eyes:

1custom12{iid:2422681;iid:2422680;iid:2422679;iid:2422678;iid:2422677;iid:2422676;iid:2422675;iid:2422674;iid:2422672;iid:2422671;iid:2422682;iid:2422683}+3custom6{iid:2422665;iid:2422666;iid:2422667;iid:2422668;iid:2422669;iid:2422670} -> ( iid:2422674) + ( iid:2422666 iid:2422665 iid:2422668) -> (
)(
) [+]


"I know you, Longlegs, though more by reputation than anything else, I fear. I've heard that you give good counsel to Beorn. So, if you believe it necessary to deal with these bandits, sooner rather than later, I'm inclined to aid you in this."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 700684. kaziglubey
  • 1custom12{iid:2422681;iid:2422680;iid:2422679;iid:2422678;iid:2422677;iid:2422676;iid:2422675;iid:2422674;iid:2422672;iid:2422671;iid:2422682;iid:2422683}+3custom6{iid:2422665;iid:2422666;iid:2422667;iid:2422668;iid:2422669;iid:2422670} =
  • ( iid:2422674) + ( iid:2422666 iid:2422665 iid:2422668) =
  • ( iid:2422674)( iid:2422666 iid:2422665 iid:2422668)
  • Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:02 am
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Marmadas Proudfoot. It is a pleasure to meet you", said the cautious hobbit to introduce himself courteously. Good manners are important, even in the Wild

favorite courtesy 1custom12{iid:2422681;iid:2422680;iid:2422679;iid:2422678;iid:2422677;iid:2422676;iid:2422675;iid:2422674;iid:2422672;iid:2422671;iid:2422682;iid:2422683}+2custom6{iid:2422665;iid:2422666;iid:2422667;iid:2422668;iid:2422669;iid:2422670} -> ( iid:2422682) + ( iid:2422670 iid:2422666) -> (
)(
) [+]



I will spend 1 point of hope to add 8 to my result


Endurance: 22, Fatigue: 9, Hope: 17, Shadow: 0
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 701472. vilainn6
  • 1custom12{iid:2422681;iid:2422680;iid:2422679;iid:2422678;iid:2422677;iid:2422676;iid:2422675;iid:2422674;iid:2422672;iid:2422671;iid:2422682;iid:2422683}+2custom6{iid:2422665;iid:2422666;iid:2422667;iid:2422668;iid:2422669;iid:2422670} =
  • ( iid:2422682) + ( iid:2422670 iid:2422666) =
  • ( iid:2422682)( iid:2422670 iid:2422666)
  • favorite courtesy
  • Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 am
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iwgar looks appraisingly at Vulfila. "All of us who live in the vales of the Anduin can think of multiple reasons to plant an axe in an Orc skull. You have a fine ambition in that, and you are not the only one. But I'm afraid brawn alone can not solve this problem, or we would have solved it before. But I am certain that brawn is part of the mix that will find the hideout and defeat the bandits. Then we can turn our attention back to the Orcs!"

He then turns to Marmadas. "Well met, master Proudfoot! Just as Vulfila's muscles will be needed, so will your stealth and caution be called upon in this matter. I am sure that the world will eventually be saved by respectable folk as yourself, and I hope you will lend your talents to this cause!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haldred: Endurance: 24, Fatigue: 14, Hope: 14, Shadow: 0

Haldred nods in agreement at Iwgar's words. "In my travels I have seen with my own eyes the evidence of the bloody work done by these bandits... I will gladly join with any foray to rid these lands of these butchers and make the road safe for travellers...", glaring pointedly at Marmadas, "...as I am sure will my companions".

Throwing the remains of his evening meal, a half eaten ham hock, to the slavering wolfhound lying at his feet, Haldred drains his flagon and further ponders the Beorning's words. "Iwgar, you say that that these robbers have been able to see through your lures and deceptions and avoided being found by those you have sent to locate them. Now maybe their hideaway is subtely hidden or that they can see from afar but might it be that they have been given information or aid from someone who knows of the comings and goings of travellers on the road and can warn the bandits in advance of the plans of those who seek to confront them?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagny
Endurance: 28 Fatigue: 18 Hope: 14 Shadow: 0

Dagny waits and watches as the others response. When Haldred brings up the troubles Iwgar has had finding the hideout, she waits for Iwgar's response, then tacks on; "You mentioned they are disrupting trade. Does that seem to be the purpose of these attacks, or is it just simple thievery?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iwgar seems taken aback by Haldred's remark.

"We have a pair of men guarding the Old Ford and collecting tolls from travellers -- so they do get to talk to passing traders. But they just collect the toll, maintain the roads and the Ford and keep the Orcs away -- they don't inspect cargo. And the sites of the attacks are a couple of days' travel from the Old Ford, so there would have to be an easy way for the guards to communicate over long distances with the bandits...
No, I'm not sure I like what you are suggesting. The men we post at the Old Ford are all dependable, just men that receive good compensation for their work. If traders stop coming, there would be less tolls collected and less compensation for them in the long run."

Iwgar shakes his head. "No, it would make no sense for the guards at the Old Ford to be in league with the bandits."

Then he turns towards Dagny to answer her question. "I do not believe the purpose is to disrupt trade -- that is merely a side-effect from their thievery. They have a taste for quality provisions, for weapons and for expensive items, and leave simple tools and utensils behind."

Then he rises. "But I have only second-hand information. At Master Beorn's hall, we are taking care of a wounded man who survived the latest attack. I suggest we call in early tonight, and travel to Master Beorn's tomorrow so that you may ask your questions to him. Agreed?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marmadas was more and more worried when he heard the interest of his compagnions for Igwar's mission.

"I guess opposing myself to that dangerous endeavor will not changed your mind?"
he ask to the others




Endurance: 22, Fatigue: 9, Hope: 17, Shadow: 0
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fubfubfub wrote:
Then he rises. "But I have only second-hand information. At Master Beorn's hall, we are taking care of a wounded man who survived the latest attack. I suggest we call in early tonight, and travel to Master Beorn's tomorrow so that you may ask your questions to him. Agreed?"

Lymernil, Mirkwood Elf Warden
Endurance: 25, Fatigue: 11, Hope: 11, Shadow: 0

Lymernil looks more interested at Iwgar's words. Beorn! I know his reputation well, but have never met him, faithful warden of the wilds though he is...

"What you suggest makes sense", she agrees. "Let's travel on tomorrow and see what this wounded man can tell us. If innocent free people are being harmed, we should venture to put a stop to this."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
Japan
Fukuoka
flag msg tools
badge
A very irregular head
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:


we should venture to put a stop to this."


"Oh, we'll be able to put a stop to it. Don't you worry about that." Milo exclaims, his mouth stuffed full of pastry, he scans the table for another morsel.

It should be obvious to all that the hobbit has heard very little of the conversation and will need to be filled again in when he is less distracted.

Milo Foxburr

Endurance: 22 Fatigue: 2 Hope: 18 Shadow: 0

So, I'm following everyone else's lead by putting these stats in. Do we need to do this every time we post?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagny
Endurance: 28 Fatigue: 18 Hope: 14 Shadow: 0

Dagny grins at Milo and passes him a roll that was on her plate. And not unkindly says to Marmadas, "It will be fine. You can see more of the area, and who knows what you might learn along the way."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulfila

Endurance: 29 Fatigue: 16 Hope: 13 Shadow: 0

With a grave look on his face, Vulfila listens to the exchange between Iwgar, Haldred, and Dagny, considering their words with interest.

At the Beorning's suggestion of an early start on the morrow, Vulfila nods his assent. Reaching down for his ale, he drains the mug as Lymernil and Milo speak, shaking his head at the nonchalance of the Hobbit's statement. Then, he goes back to his own meal.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The next morning, Iwgar meets the Fellowship at breakfast. If anyone brings up the subject of the bandits, he steers the conversation back to harmless chit-chat, whispering "Let's discuss this later! It makes our poor innkeeper nervous...".
Then, before Second Breakfast, the Fellowship leaves the inn. Iwgar says his goodbyes to Dody, Agatha and Dinodas with notable fondness, and gets a large knapsack to go from them. ("Just a little something to nibble on," stammers Dinodas.)

From the Inn, the Fellowship turns south, towards the house of Beorn. The path is well-traveled, and Iwgar is an excellent guide, pointing out landmarks and recounting old tales that have taken place in the lands you travel through.
When the sun is high in the sky, he declares that you are halfway, and stops. The knapsack is opened, and a veritable feast is revealed within. Just off the path, the Fellowship enjoys a copious picknick.

If you want to ask more things from Iwgar, now is the time. On Tuesday, we'll arrive at Beorn's house.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marmadas Proudfoot
Endurance: 22, Fatigue: 9, Hope: 17, Shadow: 0




Marmadas eat lightly that morning (as lightly as a hobbit can eat when he is nervous) trying to not show more of his concerns. They could abandon him if they feel he is a dead weight, and the last thing Marmadas needed is to be alone in the Wild.


The respectable hobbit felt even more nervous when they hit the road. He was not yet used to travelling in the Wilderness, sword at his side, and running after troubles. Marmadas tries to comfort himself by thinking that their last adventure didn't ended too badly after all.


Trying to change his mind, he ask Iwgar: "How did you know Dodinas and his familly?"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iwgar sighs and looks to the west to the Misty Mountains that can be seen across the river, on the other side of the Anduin Valley.

"I had gone west, to see the sea and the Grey Havens. I was glad I went there, but I had to go back. I was at a place called Bree when Dindy was looking for guards for a trading caravan. I wanted to get back here anyway, so it was a good way to earn some coin. And Dindy clearly was a soft-hearted person, not used to travel and the hardships that brings -- I wanted to make sure he got back safely. Together with three others, we set off from Bree.
We had been delayed, but once we were on the road, we made relatively good time. But when we were crossing the High Pass, we were spotted by Goblins. From then on, for three nights we were attacked every night. In our company, I was the only one with any serious combat experience, so it was really tough. I got a poisoned arrow in my side, but somehow I managed to cope. I still consider myself lucky that we all survived and were able to escape.
But poor Dindy really suffered from the stress. He's still easily scared by loud noises and things like that. I hope that the safety of the Easterly Inn will allow him to calm down a bit. But perhaps it would be best for him to retire to the Shire -- but I don't think he could stand crossing the Misty Mountains again.
So now I visit them from time to time, to make sure they are safe and sound. It's only a day's travel. And it's also a good opportunity to catch up on news from all over Wilderland."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lymernil, Mirkwood Elf Warden

Lymernil picks up on Marmadas's slight unease as they are travelling, and makes sure she gives him an occasional encouraging word. Well used to travelling the wilds, she tries to inspire confidence in the less travelled members of the fellowship - she hopes the hobbit knows she would never dream of abandoning him, or anyone else needing her protection, to fend for themselves here - though she has not found the words to make this explicitly clear.

She is intrigued about journeying to Beorn's hall, and when they halt for food she asks Iwgar about him. "What can you tell us about Beorn, our host, and his household?" she asks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marmadas Proudfoot
Endurance: 22, Fatigue: 9, Hope: 17, Shadow: 0

His mother often tell him that some questions shouldn't be asked and Marmadas understand it when he heard the answer of Iwgar.

"So if I return home alive, I will be half-crazy?" thought the hobbit, a new expression of fear making its appearance in his face.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iwgar smiles at Lymernil. "It's probably different from what you are used to. He lives in a large hall surrounded by a thorny hedge. He has several large barns for his wondrous animals at his compound -- they walk like men do, and serve their master.
Beorn is the protector of everyone who lives between the Forest Gate and the Old Ford. He never asked to be our leader, but his tireless devotion to protecting these lands from the taint of the Shadow has made him precisely that. Though he does not ask for our obedience, his voice is heard above all others in matters pertaining the security of the vales of the Anduin.
Because he does not think of himself as our chieftain, he might react a little gruff when he is addressed as such -- better let me do the talking. But we have managed to make him a little more welcoming to strangers in these lands, and we are all the better for it."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haldred

Endurance: 24, Fatigue: 14, Hope: 14, Shadow: 0

The unease of Marmadas is apparent to Haldred. "Do not worry master Marmadas, if danger approaches and we have to flee, Harach will carry you." Haldred pats the wolfhound affectionately on the head "Go lady, go keep the good hobbit company for a while whilst he walks." The hound turns and trots back alongside the hobbit, looking him in the eye and bearing her sharp teeth although whether this was a threat or a wicked grin was impossible to tell.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagny
Endurance: 28 Fatigue: 18 Hope: 14 Shadow: 0

Dagny smiles at Iwgar's suggestion that he does the speaking to Beorn. "I have heard he is tall as the trees, and stronger than a bear."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulfila

Endurance: 29 Fatigue: 16 Hope: 13 Shadow: 0

Throughout the morning, Vulfila walks in almost total silence alongside his companions and Iwgar, speaking little and only when directly spoken to, his mind occupied by many thoughts.

Though a Beorning himself, Vulfila has yet to meet the leader of his people. As the morning wears on, he feels a growing sense of exhilaration at the prospect of finally meeting the mighty Beorn and discovering whether or not some of the stories he's heard about him are indeed true.

His thoughts wander also to the man who survived the latest bandit attack. How was it that he survived when, according to Iwgar, those who oppose the bandits are struck down? Would he and his friends learn anything of use from him? And, if so, what?

Finally, when Iwgar opens his knapsack and all sit down for their mid-day meal, Vulfila listens with interest to the conversation around him. He eats and drinks sparingly, only enough to quiet his hunger and slake his thirst, thus trying to make sure, in his own way, that there will plenty of food for the others, especially the two halflings. He does toss some small pieces of meat towards Haldred's wolfhound, however, in the hopes that Harach will respond favourably to this bald attempt to make friends.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.