Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a veteran dungeon master. Heck I started with Chainmail. One thing that is critical to a DM is having the basic mechanics to hand that you need for play. This screen doesn't have it, and because its glossy it will be hard gluing something useful over it.

One of this screens four panels is given over to stuff you need at prep time when developing NPCs. The next 1 1/2 panels is given over to full descriptions of Conditions along with the pictures that take up about 1/3 of that space. We get "Setting a DC", "Cover", "Obscured Areas", "Light" and an alphabetical list of skills and their associated abilities on the last half of the third panel.

The final panel has "Travel Pace", "Encounter Distances", "Damage by Level and Severity" and then a couple of random tables for "something happens" and "Quick Finds". Oh and 1/3 of the screen again used up by a painting of the Tarrasque attacking a city, and some sketches of dice with goblins hiding behind them.

Really?

"Setting a DC" is marginally helpful to a novice DM, certainly.

Of the other data "Cover", "Light", "Travel Pace" and "Encounter Distances" are useful.

So did no one think to ask an actual dungeon master what they have on their home made screens?

Weapons and damage dice maybe?
Armour info?
Combat actions?
What about the character advancement table?

Each of these would have been more useful than the NPC stuff, which a DM will have put together during prep, including some random names that fit into the culture of their games rather than the lame random name generator.

For better and more useful DM info have a look at Stan Shine's nice 3 pager.
Or for very colourful and useful look at this 6 pager by Ozuro at reddit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
So did no one think to ask an actual dungeon master what they have on their home made screens?

Hear hear!

I bought it to, but it's really not worth it's money!
I use it now as a frame to hold up the 6 pages by Ozuro, mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand where you are coming from, I find myself on the opposite end of this opinionwise. Everything you listed that should be on the DM screen are items that myself and most other 5E DMs I know had memorized by the end of the first session, or isn't anything a DM should really need to keep track of (weapon and damage types are either present in creature stat blocks or added to NPCs when they are created, or the purview of the players in my games, I have no reason to reference them in the midst of a game).

I've found that the beauty of 5E is its simplicity. There are very few actual rules that need to be referenced by the DM in 5E. I vastly prefer the on-the-fly creation tables on the DM screen that are useful when the PCs inevitably go and do something completely random, if only for quick inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descriptions of conditions (which I will never be able to remember with 100% accuracy for some strange reason) and a wall of cardboard are what I actually need in a DM screen. The rest is basically gravy. The new screen is okay.

If you want to stick something to it reliably, use rubber cement or good old fashioned tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGeek wrote:
While I understand where you are coming from, I find myself on the opposite end of this opinionwise. Everything you listed that should be on the DM screen are items that myself and most other 5E DMs I know had memorized by the end of the first session, or isn't anything a DM should really need to keep track of (weapon and damage types are either present in creature stat blocks or added to NPCs when they are created, or the purview of the players in my games, I have no reason to reference them in the midst of a game).

I've found that the beauty of 5E is its simplicity. There are very few actual rules that need to be referenced by the DM in 5E. I vastly prefer the on-the-fly creation tables on the DM screen that are useful when the PCs inevitably go and do something completely random, if only for quick inspiration.
This is pretty much exactly my opinion, too: I started making my own screen before this one came out, and I couldn't even cover three panels with the tables I actually felt I needed to reference during play.

I'm not crazy about the player-facing art, and wish that something more useful was on those panels (price lists, maybe?), but from the DM's side, I'm quite happy with the 5e screen as it is. All I'd add to it is a copy of the random inn-names table from the screen included with Sundering Adventure I: Murder in Baldur's Gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find the random NPC tables useful for when the players do something oddball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mind fire
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, this is more useful than the WOTC version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
descriptions of conditions (which I will never be able to remember with 100% accuracy for some strange reason) and a wall of cardboard are what I actually need in a DM screen. The rest is basically gravy. The new screen is okay.

If you want to stick something to it reliably, use rubber cement or good old fashioned tape.

You could use 3 A4 cardboard sheets, one printed page, and some sticky tape to replace the commercial product then. I had to pay nearly $20 AUD to find that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your original quote: "because its glossy it will be hard gluing something useful over it." I was responding to that specific point. I suggested tape or rubber cement because either one makes a glossy surface a non-issue.

Frankly a glossy surface is actually a good thing if you're covering up some portions with your own material taped into place. The tape will lift off easier when you want to swap something out.

Sorry you had to waste your money though. That always sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wish I had read this review before I bought the DM screen last week. Pretty much a waste of money. Even the artwork is lacklustre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I set mine up the other day when we played. I rolled the dice behind the screen. The players couldn't see them. I give this a 10/10 for screening perfectly. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls