Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm? I already wrote my little piece...??

On with the story I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
World Cup Final 14th July 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Hmm? I already wrote my little piece...??

On with the story I say!

Yes please, tell us what's next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, here! I'm all for moving forward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - I've been a little preoccupied with some offline things.

What happens now is we start the first scene. When it's your turn to be the focus of the scene, you choose to either establish or resolve. If you choose to establish, you get to set up the scene, decide which other characters are involved, and get the ball rolling. Then, we play it out a little until it seems like we've reached the point where we need to know if it ends well (for the star) or poorly. In this case, the other players choose the nature of the ending, and then we wrap it up a little bit with that in mind. If you choose to resolve, the other players set the scene up for you, and once it's played out a little, you get to choose how it wraps up. Simple as that! Each player gets two scenes before the "tilt," so we'll be going around the table twice.

I'm first, so I'm going to choose to establish this time - I'll get that sorted out and written up in the break between my classes.

Took a little long to get back to this, but here goes.

Danny sits in the corner booth of Diamond Pete's, staring down into an empty glass. He's been sitting here for two hours already, waiting. Story of his life, waiting. Waiting for the big break, waiting for the score, waiting for the girl, waiting, waiting, waiting. Tonight he's waiting for Carla. Carla...his best friend, once upon a time. Was she still? He'd find out tonight. If she came. He shook his head. She would come. She had to come. But she'd said 6, and now it was after 8. She never used to be late, but she was somebody now. Better things to do. Betting things to do than hang out in this stinking... Anger wells up inside him briefly, and then dissipated as the door opened, and she walked in. He calls out to her, to get her attention. He smiles. This is Carla. His friend. She will help him. She sits down. They exchange pleasantries, but she seems distracted, in a hurry. She's checking her watch, she has somewhere else to be. The anger wells up again, and he slams the empty glass on the table.

"Dammit, Carla! What are you, too good for me now?"

He doesn't wait for her to respond, but plunges ahead.

"There's this girl. Woman." He ignores her wry smile. "She's rich. I got...I got mixed up. And..." He takes a deep breath. "And she had a baby. I don't know if it's mine. She won't say. I thought she was just some...something on the side. I didn't think I'd care. But I gotta know, Carla. I gotta know if it's mine. And I gotta know who she really is." Her eyes ask the question; what do you want me to do about it? "You got that job up there with that guy. Trelawney, right? She spends a lot of time around him. Talks about him all the time. Maybe the kid is his. Maybe it's mine. Maybe she's playing us both for suckers. But you gotta...you gotta do this for me, Carla. You gotta help me find out who she is."

So, I've brought Carla into the scene, so Carrie and I can go back and forth for a couple of posts and see how this plays out, and then there can be a decision about how this scene is going to end for Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carla squints around, trying to see if anyone is taking undue notice of them. She frowns slightly, she doesn't want anyone to associate herself with this place. She looks back at Danny and flips a stray bit of hair over her shoulder.

"Psh! I was always too good for you! Though that doesn't mean I don't like you." A smile softens her words. She still doesn't like it here, but she does like Danny - even if he is a tad unambitious.

That's probably why I likes him, she muses. He was never competition.

"Trelawney, eh?"

She takes a drink, pretending to be uninterested. But the name sparks a fire in her eyes that is hard to hide. A bright burn Danny is sure to recognize from all the times people back here who told her she wouldn't amount to anyone.

"Not his child? Oh, I can help you find out." She practically purrs.

Wouldn't that just destroy his standing! His wife having another man's child. Can't even control his family, how can he be expected to control and organization. Poor choices. Lapses in judgement. A cuckold! How brilliant.

"This is wonderful news!"

Oh yes. Wonderful news. Even if it is Trelawney's child, oh, she would make sure the rumors said otherwise.

"Congratulations. I know you always wanted a child. I'll start asking some questions about the mother. After all, what are friends for?" Her smile is far more feral than friendly. But she doesn't care. She was just handed the best bit of news she had all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny squints. He knows Carla well. Or he did, once. Something in her eyes...she knows something. More than she's saying. Or maybe he's just drunk. He shakes his head: "Dunno about wonderful. This woman...I don't know. I can't get her out of my mind...but I don't trust her. She's got secrets, I can tell. Like you've got secrets, Carla. Like she don't want anyone to know where she came from. You see?"

He leans back against booth, feeling the stickiness of the vinyl seat coverings. He watches Carla closely. She's sensitive about her roots. If he wasn't drunk, he wouldn't have said anything. But he is drunk. And he's mad. He leans forward again, palms flat on the table: "I'm gonna see her again Friday. I gotta know by then." He senses her hesitation, and he grins: "Don't worry. You don't have to come here again. I'm doin' a roof in Andover tomorrow. Just around the corner from that big park on Salem and Main. Come by the park after five. I'll be there."

He catches that glint in her eyes again, and he leans closer: "You already know something. Tell me." He's close enough that she can smell the beer on his breath, and see the tension in his eyes: "Tell me right goddam now, Carla!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carla takes a sharp breath, her eyes widening.

My! Oh my! I do believe he's in love!

She had no idea he cared this much about that woman. Then she thinks about it. Or maybe it isn't love. Maybe it is possessiveness. That is an emotion she has much more experience with. Yes, that fits into her worldview much better than love.

Quickly she reassures him,

"Oh, I don't know anything about her.

But Trelawney? He's bad news. Nasty piece of work, but hides it all on the inside. I'm not surprised she turned elsewhere with that kind of home life!"

Carla really doesn't care if what she is saying is true or not. She's decided to recruit Danny into her little plan about the downfall of Trelawney. She drops her voice and leans forward, conspiratorially.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he beat her. I bet he has a soundproof room in that perfect little house of his."

Words drip like venom from her mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Dannny's aim in the scene? To get Carla to agree to help him? If so it's obviously got to be 1 however if his aim is to get carla completely on his side to his way of thinking then its gonna be more fun do go 1 as she obviously has her own agendas and while they may flow with Danny in the short term...... so Oliver, can you clarify what you wanted from the scene? (Then the other players all cast votes on white or black)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny wants Carla to help him - but he also wants to be sure he can trust her, so...I'm not sure he's getting all the way there. Either way, I think it's time to decide if he gets the white or the black die, and then we can wrap this scene up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
World Cup Final 14th July 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Danny's going to get the truth from Carla. Or at least, not just the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
So two votes for black then devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the first scene is done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're agreed on a black die (not-good outcome) for Danny, then I just need to narrate something that wraps it up, and we are done with the first scene, yes - did you have any strenuous objections to the black die, Carrie? It has no significance for Carla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No objections here, it seems most fitting for the scene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny slumps back again. She's not telling him what she knows, but he can't do anything about it. She says something else, but he's not listening, and after a few minutes, she leaves. His mind wanders a little drunkenly. Carla. Trelawney. Abigail. Always back to Abigail. And the baby. Suddenly the anger wells up inside him again, and he slams the empty glass on the table, this time hard enough to shatter it. He stares down at his hand for a moment, watching the blood drip down onto the table. Someone comes over, tells him he's had enough, tells him to leave. The anger subsides, and he stumbles out into the parking lot, collapsing into his car, his hand wet with blood. He shouldn't drive, he knows, although he's driven in this condition many times in the past. But he has to. He ha to go somewhere. And so he fumbles the key into the ignition and starts the engine. As he pulls away, into the night, he wonders where he'll go - but in the back of his mind, he knows, all to well...

Carrie, if you want to narrate a wrap-up from Carla's perspective, that's something you can do here. If not, I believe it will be your scene next, so you can choose to Establish or Resolve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note if you do move on to your own scene - it does *not* have to run linear. If you want a flashback scene or something in the future you can. So you could go back to the first meeting with Trelawney for example.

Oliver - don't forget you need to give your black dice to someone else!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carla watches Danny for a few more minutes, sipping her weak beer. She grimaces. Everything is so... cheap here. When she can stomach it no longer, she makes her excuses.

"I have another meeting." she mumbles, expecting him to be too drunk to hear - or question - why she would have a meeting so late at night.

Her excuses done, she sashays out of the building. Once in the parking lot, she allows a grin to play across her face. Oh, this is a task she will gladly take up!

Danny has no idea what he has gotten himself into...

Wrapped-up Carla... now for a new scene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so, I'll give that black die to Sam devil, and Carrie, I believe you are next in the turn order, so you can choose to resolve or establish at your convenience!

Die Tracker:

Oliver:
Carrie:
Sam: 1
Eric:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashback time! And yes, I definitely want to do the first time Trelawney and Carla meet... which spawns years of antagonism! So I'm going to Establish a scene.

Carla is waiting. She has been waiting for half-an-hour. The call from the office had wanted her in early on her first day of work, so here she was. Waiting. Silently, internally she fumed.

Clearly they were doing this because of her background. Because she wasn't from some fancy family, some wealthy background.

Her feet were killing her, but she didn't move a muscle. She would be damned before she caved in and showed any sign of weakness to these... these... idiots! It wasn't the word she wanted, but it was close enough.

They didn't know half of what she had done to get here. And they would continue not knowing if they knew what was good for them.

Before he thoughts turned any blacker, he appeared. Her new boss. Mr. Trelawney. She put a winning smile on her face. This smile had gotten her places.

"Ah good, you're here."

She fumed a little at that. Of course she was here! She had been here waiting for something to do for half-an-hour! What did he expect? But she smiled a little harder and nodded demurely.

"Here, file these."

He handed her a stack of papers that would have made a lesser person collapse. Worse - he didn't even look at her smile. And then he stood there, on the phone with someone else, ignoring her while she worked.

This was not what she expected. Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Luca was agitated by the person on the phone. He wasn't used to being resisted or blank-walled.

"Do you have any clue who you are talking to? That's right, Deacon Trelawny of the New England Church." a pause. "Yes exactly right. So when I say I would like to know what the current status is with my wife.....yes, that's also right, Abigail Waite, {sigh} I mean I want to know NOW."

Another pause, this time longer. Then a voice on the other end of the phone. After a moment Luca replied, "At last, someone who actually has any idea what is going on. Look, my wife was brought in to you two days ago as there were possible complications with the pregnancy and you wanted to monitor her. I want an update and to know if I should come to the hospital."

His foot started to tap the floor and he looked up at the secretary who was dealing, remarkably well it seemed, with the pile of paperwork. She wasn't anything special, just another girl from the lesser part of town. His back straightened slightly without his even noticing it. Placing his hand over the phone he said to the girl, "I've divided them into three sections, the top ones are the most important, the others can wait if need be, there's a good girl. Now, I'm not to be disturbed, understand?" and without waiting for an answer he turned back to his own office.

As he left he spoke into the phone once more, "So you think the baby will come soon, but they are both okay now Abigail is resting. Good. I'll come by later. Oh, and next time I phone I expect to speak to someone who can actually help. Good day."

I've tried to make him obnoxious, which is quite fun!
Carrie, I envision you having an internal reply in your next post and then for the flashback to jump forward to the next day for further and more prolonged interaction. But it is your scene, so you might decide that something else happens, like you have to knock on his door for some reason...? Your call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carla inwardly seethed. Good girl, is it? She is a woman in her own right! Wielding not an inconsiderable amount of power. Just who did he think he was?

Her eyes flashed dangerously, and her smile grew sinister. Oh, she would deal with the paperwork... but just wait...

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

One week later...

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Carla stood in the drafty basement. Her robes, while covering, were anything except warm. Yet again she was waiting. Waiting for the leader of the cult to arrive.

She had been promised that this was the way to advancing her position in the company... in the town. She saw this as another game to be played, another group to conquer.

It took all her willpower not to drop her jaw when she saw the leader.

Trelawney! How did that bastard end up the leader of this group of pathetic backwards superstition fools! Did he convince them of some power? Like he had any! She frowned and made sure her head was deep in the hood of her robes.

And then they began to call the Old Ones.

A chill deeper than anything produced by the basement penetrated her heart. And hardened it.

She would lead this cult one day. He would make a mistake, they always do. And when he did. All this power would be hers.

She smiled and joined the invocation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrie, while I love the scene setup you have the ability for, I'm finding it hard to create a interactive scene between the two of us because there is no initial interaction. You need to make sure your scene has conversation between yourself and another so that we can get Fiasco's all-important *thing* going, which is interaction and f**ing things/people over.

Trelawney loved this first part, when the new possible initiates stood ready and saw him coming down the stairs. It made him look like the big boss, even if only for a few minutes, and gave him a certain modicum of power from that moment onwards. The acolytes were doing their part well, leading the chant and then changing it to The Call of the Old Ones.

Luca joined in the chant as master of ceremonies and the other three Old Ones entered from a side chamber and took up their places in a semi-circle. There was one very obvious space left however and while the lowest of the order carried on the base chant the four Old Ones took up a different, more energetic and powerful one.

In a long-rehearsed show, designed for maximum impact with the wannabees, The Great Old One appears in a blinding flash of light and a billow of smoke. One minute the space was empty, the next a large robed and hooded figure dominated it and loomed over the whole proceedings. The Old Ones bowed in reverence to the Great Old One whose anonymity was ensured by a face mask shaped like a Devil.

Things proceeded as usual and all appeared well, but then it usually did in this first bit. The second part was the proper test where people would either be turfed on to the street with a warning ringing in their ears that if they spoke a word of this to anyone their life was forfeit or else admitted unto the cult proper.

Each Old One left the main room and entered a side chamber through a hanging tapestry showing part of the cults' history. The Great Old One carried on watching the wannabees intently, looking for signs of un-worthiness. After several minutes the possible cultists started to fidget, wondering what was going on. Except for one who stood stock still and did not move an inch. Still they waited, and several of the possibles started to look around themselves wondering what was happening.

The Great Old One watched impassively.

Then the four wannabees were taken into the side rooms to meet an Old One for Inquisition.

Luck of the draw placed Carla with Trelawney, though it was completely random who got whom but in that first instance when they met a spark of hate flew like electricity between them.

Something about the girl spoke ill to Luca. She was too good at what she did, and poked her nose in where it wasn't wanted. He had no proof but he had heard rumours that she had been digging into his life and the life of the Church and Cult in order to advance herself. And now, here she was, trying to become an Acolyte. Well he'd be damned if she'd get in here, into HIS sanctum!

The Great Old One would be in shortly to watch proceedings for a few minutes and to give Luca the nod or shake that spoke of whether he approved of this one or not. If Luca disagreed he would have to have a damn good reason to go against His wishes.

"How are you worthy of admittance to our great and glorious Cult, child? Speak now, and make it count."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I've never played this before, so I'm not yet adept at figuring out what to do for this game.

Carla almost scowled at the question. How am I worthy? I was born worthy! I just also happened to be born in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I can fix that... just you see.

"I'm worthy because I have ambition, which seems to be lacking in most people in this backwater town. Half the people you pass on the streets don't even see farther than what they earned this week. The others don't see beyond the borders of this town. But I do."

A fierce light fills her eyes.

"I can see farther than tomorrow. I can see myself doing great things. I just need..." and here she decided to lay on the charm.

"I just need a group that will support me. On my own, well, there's only so much I can do. But together we can go so much farther!"

Inwardly she almost gagged. Like she needed anyone! But isn't that what these cult types always want to hear? That their group is special and that together they are better than alone? Other people were made for walking over... not helping. No one ever helped her before, why should she return the favor now? But she needed to play along until she could find a way to take control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you havn't, which is why I pointed out as nicely as I could that more interaction is needed

Luca wasn't buying it. She was too smooth for things here. Like a snake through soft sand. Trouble.

During her little speech the curtain had silently moved and the Great Old One had slipped in and listened. As Carla finished talking he gave Luca a nod that said he approved of this girl then slipped back out of the room again. If Carla noticed Luca looking past her she didn't show it. 'Damn this girl is good at what she does!' he thinks.

In reply to her little speech Luca says, "Great things indeed. However bare in mind that everything you do within our Family you do For the Family and because of it. There is no I or You. What you want no longer matters, just the Greater Good for the Family."

Trelawny pauses to let that word of wisdom sink in, then continues. "The Cult looks after its own, but the learning is hard and progression takes time and effort. Are you ready for so much work on top of your daily life? This life must remain secret, hidden, slotted into everything else seamlessly. For to not do these things risks our way of being and your life."

This was meant as a cold warning not to fail or slip up. Punishment was harsh but necessary when it came.

Whatever Carla's reply he would have to put her forward for acceptance. The Great Old One had approved of her and no matter what the personal enmity was between them he had to admit she seemed perfect for the Cult. Not that he'd ever let on to her that this was the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inwardly Carla seethed. What good was a scary cult if people didn't know you belonged? Oh, things would change once she was in charge. She could almost taste the terror. She smiled.

"Oh, I will work hard. My entire life has been filled with hard work, why would this be any different?"

Realizing she was being flippant, she quickly added,

"Yes, the family comes first. I am but a part of the family." A large part, she wanted to add, but bit her tongue. Literally. She winced at the pain and hoped that Luca hadn't caught her little slip.

As an afterthought she added,

"And I am very good at keeping secrets."

Gods, talking to Luca was annoying. He was annoying! Couldn't he see how perfect she was for this! She had practically been made for lurking in secret cults! And here he was rattling off advice. She couldn't wait to make it to the next level! But, she still had the rest of the night with him. She might was well use this time wisely, and plumb for information.

Trying for innocence, and not realizing how bad she failed, Carla asked,

"Since we're a family now and all, how did you get involved in all this." her hands moved, taking in the room. "I mean, I had no idea all this was going on... how do you manage it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |