Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Blackbird: How do you feel about your adventure, and your companions, so far? From ballrooms and poetry readings and fencing lessons to being shouted (and possibly shot) at in a cell; you're pretty far out of your comfort zone. How do you feel about the vulgar mechanic with his coarse accent and his dirty clothes, who managed to get you a key to escape your cell (using dirty, dishonest fighting and burglar's skills)?

Naomi: Are you comfortable, now that you can do what you're good at (punching things, and people), or are you anxious about the safety of Natasha? You've been going easy on the guards; will you act the same towards marines, who are sworn to protect an Empire that lets slaves (like you were) fight each other to the death? How did you escape that fate, and how has that shaped you?

Cyrus: How do you feel about being the last out of your cell? Does needing the women and your first mate to rescue you make you feel helpless, or do you worry that you may seem less than a leader in the eyes of Natasha? Do you long for your imperial soldier days when there was a clear chain of command?

Kale: How do you feel about having another magic-user on your team? Can you guess how powerful she is? Are you worried about Cyrus being somewhat passive in your escape? Do you feel proud, showcasing a variety of skills to deal with the situation and continue the mission?

Remind me to give Naomi and Kale a flashback refreshment scene, after this one. Try to think of one or two questions you want to ask the other.

Everyone: do you feel you've hit one or more of your Keys, this scene? Or did a buyoff condition occur?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
"Elektrickery, huh? I ain't got no elektrickery. Maybe if I did I coulda shorted the mike without burning me hand." Kale thinks ruefully. "Wonder what else she can do? No point askin', she's too precious to waste her breath on the likes o' me."

"And that Naomi, now she's awesome. Kicked her way out of that cell, or somethin', and she ain't even limping. I hope she didn't see my little mishap. Bit embarrassing, that.
"

"The cap'n's awful quiet. He's prolly mad at me. I shoulda waited, I guess, but that ossifer didn't sound like he was gonna give us no benefit of doubt. Dunno how I can make it up him now, it's a bit late to get back in my cell and pretend like nuthin' happened."

Natasha still hasn't locked the guards in the cell, Naomi doesn't seem like she's ready to charge quite this instant, and Kale thinks he just might have a bit of energy left. After all it IS the cap'n...
Kale takes a deep breath, puts his hand on the lock to Cyrus' cell door and focuses...

1 + 1 (petty magic) + 1( shatter spell) 3d6c[4] = (1, 4, 3) = 1

I don't know if Kale's managed to hit any keys yet, but I'm working on it. Helping Natasha get out of the cell is a start. Getting Cyrus out (if it works) probably only counters his hot-headedness - he knows Cyrus' preferred way is negotiation and bribery. And I really wanted Naomi to make the first move, so that Kale had an excuse. So it was my impatience that was his undoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 658613. Cringing Dragon
  • 3d6c[4] =
  • (1, 4, 3) =
  • 1 + 1 (petty magic) + 1( shatter spell)
  • Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 am
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Blackbird, comfortable with the pistol in her hand, gives it a little spin and fondly remembers those days on the shooting range with Father when she was young, back before he sold her to the highest bidder.

She points the gun at the guards and says "All right, everyone move. We don't want any trouble or anyone to get hurt, so just cooperate and we'll get out of here." The civilian guards shuffle helplessly into Kale's cell and she locks the door behind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
The lock on Cyrus's door shatters with an audible bang, and the door swing open. Kale, however, has strained his concentration and spellcasting ability to their breaking point. Slowly the light returns to the hallway, giving the marine officer a clean shot, and the knowledge that there is no danger of accidentally hitting a guard.

Kale, you gain the 'Dazed' condition. No spellcasting until it is removed. You gain one die in your pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the lights go up, Lady Blackbird sees the Marine Officer at the end of the hall start to raise his weapon. Reflexes and old training kick in...

I will use Athletic - Duels, Shooting (3 extra dice) to shoot the guard. I will add from my pool after learning the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficulty 3, for taking out the marine officer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 from the Pool, total 7

Lady Blackbird shoots the Marine - 7d6c[4] = (5, 6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1) = 4

As she quickly aims and fires, Lady Blackbird knows that this could change everything and give herself away. The First Officer will surely know that a commoner, such as she is supposed to be, would not be skilled in this type of a firearms shot. He will surely wonder about the source of her training and if she isn't really who she has claimed to be. She only hopes that she has time to think of something before he brings it up. But he has shown great loyalty in orchestrating their escape, perhaps it is time to let him in on the secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 658916. oriecat
  • 7d6c[4] =
  • (5, 6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1) =
  • Lady Blackbird shoots the Marine -
  • Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Lady Blackbird. What happened? Did you kill the officer, shoot the pistol from his hands, or wound him in the arm?

Everyone: More marines are surely coming; do you still need to do anything here, of do you need to get away from the brig ASAP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bullet strikes the Marine in the arm and he drops his weapon in pain. Another source of disappointment for Father, Lady Blackbird thinks, He always said make sure to shoot to kill. But we have enough trouble here without adding dead Marines to the mix.

"Naomi, grab him, quick! Let's get him in the cell with the others."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry...There has been a lot of shit going on in my life. step-niece died last week and then the blizzard that wasn't in NYC had has busy at work (I am an emergency manager) and I have frankly been lacking in the mental capacity to get involved in much else a a result. Let me see if I get get my worthless self inserted back in the action.

Cautiously walking out of the cell, Cyrus blinks in the semi-darkness as his client seems to have decided she should be in charge for once...or is that just her normal state? His silent interest in her fluttered with more lust and a heady dose of respect. This is the kind of women who knows the ways to a man's heart...but also how to break it. Best be careful with her. Hearing her command to Naomi, he grunted in agreement. "Get them moved in and let's head out of the brig". He noted Kale looking...well..maybe not his best but not his worst either. Noting a pitcher of water and a stack of cups on a table in the hall that must have been for the prisoners, he paused to get a drink to perk the bruiser up. Maybe Kale did this without style but can't argue with results. Now to see what the inevitable cost would be towards escape.

The Owl was still a huge question mark; underfueled she would make for a lousy escape route. As the crew and clients finished moving the hapless guards into their new homes he signaled for them to gather:

We need to get to the escape pods ASAP; they are on every floor and one will be more than enough for a group as small as ours. But it won't be launched without notice. We will need to get to it, get away in it, and get to sanctuary before they know what hit them...and that window is shrinking as we stand here."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright; let's wrap up this scene. You've managed to escape your cell, but the alarm has been sounded.

On Keys and XP:

When you hit a Key, you get either one die in your pool, or one XP. Double that if you put yourself in danger because of your key. 5 XP buys an advance: a new Tag, Trait, Key or Secret.

It's probably best if you let me know when you feel you've hit a key, but we could also do it at the end of a scene, like now.

From memory, I will award at least the following: (Let me know if I've missed some!)

Natasha: Key of the Mission (Shooting that Marine must not have been easy; you're committed to see this through.)
Naomi: Key of the Guardian (For making sure Natasha was alright before taking care of the guard.)
Cyrus: Key of the Commander (For insisting on meeting captain-to-captain with Hollas.)
Kale: Key of the Mission (For starting the escape and getting the keys to Natasha.) Double it because you put yourself in danger.

So that's 1 XP or 1 die for Natasha, Naomi and Cyrus, and 2 XP or 2 dice or 1 XP and 1 die for Kale. Let me know which one you want.

You also have the option of removing a Key and immediately gain two advances, if a buyoff condition occurs. You don't have to, but you could.

I can see Natasha revealing her identity to Cyrus and/or Kale, to buy off Key of the Imposter, since she's shown a noble's training and stormblood spellcasting.
Naomi has been very level-headed throughout the escape; no blood lust towards the Imperials, so I could see her buying off Key of Vengeance or Key of the Warrior.
Cyrus has seen the others managing without his lead, and Natasha giving Naomi orders, so he could acknowledge her as the leader and buy off Key of the Commander.

Again, you certainly don't have to, but if you want to change your character, this is how you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before we proceed to the next scene, we'll have a refreshment scene between Naomi and Kale. Let's make it a flashback to the first night the four of you were together on the Owl. It looked like Cyrus wanted to talk to Natasha in private, so Kale took Naomi on a tour through the ship.

What I'd like you to do, Oldhoss and Cringing Dragon, is tell the other a bit about your character's life or history, and ask the other two questions about their's. Then the other tells a bit about their life, answers the questions (truthfully or not), and also asks the other two. Then that person answers the questions, and we move on to the next story scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
While we have that refreshment scene, some questions for everybody to think about (although you certainly don't have to answer them yet, they're not immediate):

- You're out of the brig, but not out of the ship. Are you really ready to abandon the Owl, Cyrus's and Kale's only home for over a decade? How will you complete the mission, or make a living, if you do?
- If you do want to rescue the Owl, do you remember where she is? Does she have enough fuel to make it to Haven, or do you need to find fuel on the Hand of Sorrow, and where will you find it?
- Now that the alarm has been sounded, does it matter if Hollas finds out about your identity? Can you stop the wireless transmission?
- How will you escape once you're in the Owl or another craft? Do you have a plan to stop pursuit, like sabotaging the Hand of Sorrow, or hide in the dangerous Lower Depths?
- How will you deal with Marine patrols on the Hand of Sorrow? Can you avoid them, or will you fight them? Are there other dangers on the ship, like mechanical guards, sorcerers, or bloodhunters?
- Are you only worried about escaping, or do you see this as an opportunity to strike a blow against the Empire?
- Before you make your escape, is there something you need to talk to any of the others about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale blinks in surprise as Cyrus hands him a cup of water. Maybe he's not in the bad books after all.

"Ta, Cap'n." he says between gulps "Um... ya reckon we should take the uniforms? They look about the right size."

As he hurriedly pulls on a guard's jacket, Kale catches Cyrus glance longingly towards the cell the ladies are changing in.

"Oh Cap'n, how did we get into this mess?" Kale thinks to himself, and his mind wanders back to the day their passengers arrived on The Owl in Ilysium .

The pair came on board, wearing heavy cloaks. The Cap'n immediately ushered one of them into the galley, with a dismissive "Kale, why don't you show Naomi around? Snargle can handle the ship from here."
"Ah, Snargle, you sneaky goblin!" thinks Kale "I bet you're doin' jus' fine in that hidey-hole of yours under the console. Got a years' worth of stolen food squirreled away in there, no doubt."

"I'll show you to your rooms, miss." Kale said, in the politest way he could manage. "Would you like me to take your bags?"

She turned slightly, moving the bags away from Kale protectively. "I can manage. And the name's not 'Miss', it's Bishop."

"No worries, Bishop." Kale responded, showing the palms of his hands in surrender. "It's right this way."
Since Naomi doesn't seem to want to talk much, Kale fills the silence as they walk with natter about The Owl.
"She's a good ship, The Owl. Been my home for a lot of years now. She might be gettin' on a bit, but that just adds character, right? And i keep her runnin' like a dream. Did all the engine mods meself." He asserts proudly.
"Kept her good as a new one. Better, maybe. New ships are all done on the cheap, not made to last." Kale treid not to wince at the slight sound of escaping steam as they passed by the drive room, and made a mental note to have a look at that at the next opportunity. Hoping their passenger hadn't noticed it, he tried to distract her with a question.
"So, Bishop, why The Remnants? It's hardly your typical holiday destination."

I'm not sure how we're going to work the question-and answer thing unless we're both online at the same time. I'll make a set of posts rather than one, and oldhoss' can fit in between, maybe. Otherwise, it'll work just fine if Kale keeps on talking to himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, a good minimum for a refreshment scene would be:

person A - story, two questions
person B - story, answers, two questions
person A - answers

but if you can get more of a dialogue going, great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
*another flashback to The Owl*

Once Naomi stowed their luggage in the passengers' cabin, they began the tour proper. Naomi felt guilty at leaving Lady Blackbird undefended, but she needed thorough knowledge of this new environment and there was no changing Natasha's mind now that she'd decided to trust this Cyrus character.

As he shows Naomi around the ship, Kale again fills the silence with words.
"I grew up on a hops farm on the back-side of Olympia. Used to help Gramps work on the tractors and stuff. He said he never saw nobody take to the machines like I did. Pops wanted me to take over the farm, but I gots me two black thumbs."

He grinned. Black with engine grease, that is. So I decided to join the Navy, and work on starships. Got into their fancy college with a scholarship, but it wasn't what I expected. Hardly any real work, it was all books an' stuff. The numbers weren't too bad, least they were about how the engines worked. But all the rules an' regulations. And the uniforms. Kale pulls at his collar to loosen it, in remembrance, and shudders.

Wasn't lookin' too good there. Then the Cap'n offers me a job on The Owl. I wasn't prop'ly qualified or nuthin', but he gave me a job anyways. Dunno what I'd 'a done if he hadn't. He's a good man, the Cap'n.

So that's how I left Olympia, and I never been back. Been jus' about everywhere else, but never back there. I sure do miss the beer though. Ain't no other beer as good as my Gramp's beer. Ha! And the Cap'n never lets me off the ship when we're in Ilysium, neither, in case I offend someone's high and mighty sensibilities! So I can't really say as I've seen Ilysium, even though I been there.

What about you? You traveled much? Been to Olympia?

I hope I'm not contradicting anything oldhoss is writing. I don't expect Naomi to answer Kale's questions directly (since I know more of her background than Kale does), but I can't think of much he can ask her that wouldn't be prying at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Kale will take the 2XP, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natasha will take the 1 XP please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
But, seriously, I keep forgetting that for some reason this thread doesn't show up in my new subscriptions when something gets posted. Extremely annoying. Going top take the die and now read the rest and post .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:

Cyrus has seen the others managing without his lead, and Natasha giving Naomi orders, so he could acknowledge her as the leader and buy off Key of the Commander.

Amended: Based on the above, IF Naomi reveals herself to me added with my secret love for her, then I would do the buy off in deference to her status.

Grunting at Kale's suggestion, Cyrus absent mindedly dresses into the uniform he's sworn to never wear again. He could feel the sense of locus of control diminish the more layers be placed on his body. Kale might look ridiculous in his uniform- he's was never made for the Imperial Army, which is why Cyrus removed both their sorry, washed-out asses from that further humiliation. The women might too the thought, glancing towards the room they were changing in...well...maybe not Bishop; she was a woman born to uniform and Natasha..she was born into something more, he was sure of it. Her presence made his hesitant, unable to feel fully in control of himself. He wanted her, in ways as varied as they were inappropriate. But, first, escape. Then maybe she would open up to him, maybe even he his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
And if we ever get to the end of this refreshment scene, can Kale have the dice refresh and the Dazed condition removed, or is it one or the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
But, seriously, I keep forgetting that for some reason this thread doesn't show up in my new subscriptions when something gets posted. Extremely annoying. Going top take the die and now read the rest and post .
Have you read the OOC thread, sweetgotham?

Cringing Dragon wrote:
And if we ever get to the end of this refreshment scene, can Kale have the dice refresh and the Dazed condition removed, or is it one or the other?
You can refresh your dice and remove one condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:
Have you read the OOC thread, sweetgotham?

Cringing Dragon wrote:
You can refresh your dice and remove one condition.

Whopse; no. I don't think that one has been showing up in my sub list either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/looks around

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you still haven't read the OOC thread, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |