Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
100 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Back-alley Blackbird - Story Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2015 [+] [View All]
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In case that wasn't clear - Kale will only attack the guard if Naomi breaks out (or one of the others, for that matter). Otherwise he'll stick with the Cap'n's preferred approach of talking our way out of trouble.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitting on her bunk, Lady Blackbird notices several guards rushing past her window and then sees them open the door to Kale's cell. She approaches the window and sees the First Mate holding his injured hand. It seems like a good time to try to get their attention and get the door open.

She pounds on the window.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking in... it'll be about 12 hours until I can log in again, but there's nothing to respond to here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
She knew that the captain was a smuggler and wanted to avoid the Imperials at all cost. But she also knew that the captain is ex-Imperial and that is enough of a reason for her distrust.

He is clearly up to something. But whose skin is he trying to save?

She turned back around to keep an eye on the captain. Through her window she could see that he was turned toward the port wall and was yelling something she couldn't make out. His demeanor made it unlikely that he was selling out Natasha.

I'll follow his lead...for now.

Then something catches her eye from Kale's cell. She sees a bit of movement from inside and perhaps a quick flash of light. Immediately a guard turns and opens Kale's door.

Why didn't she notice this before? Kale's Imperial Guard isn't military. She isn't dressed as a marine, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It is the guard's movements that are telling. As she entered Kale's cell she never put her hand on her weapon and didn't keep a defensive stance. A first year cadet could disarm her. Hell, maybe even a mechanic could do it....

What are they doing putting a civvies on guard duty -- and giving them weapons?!? A ship like this never would have left port without a full complement of Imperial marines. Where are they...what happened to them? If the captain is half the man he says he is, we could take the ship. But then what? We'd be hunted relentlessly if we took an Imperial cruiser. They could never let that go. But we could take the ship, incapacitate it and slip out on the Owl. We have the mechanic. He could hobble the ship and its communication system with ease. It could be done. Still, the missing marines. Something's wrong here. Caution. Still, I'll follow the captain's lead for now.


Naomi saw the guards holding up Kale who was clearly exaggerating his "injury." The civvies didn't seem to notice. They were definitely acting scared, though. She moved closer to her door and put her face to the window. She saw one of the guards glance back at Natasha's window and react to something there.

Natasha! Of course you can't sit back and let others handle this. You don't always have to be in charge. I swear, between you and the captain.... Of course, that is part of your charm. Fine, if we're going to do it this way...

Naomi walked to her window and began rapping on the window, watching and waiting to make eye contact with either Kale or the captain.

Naomi continued knocking on the window and then started speaking to no one in particular (but she knew someone was listening), "Let us out. We haven't done anything. You can't hold us under Imperial Law. This is a violation of rights under the Thirty Fifth Interstellar Treaty. Let us out..."

She kept a careful eye on Kale, just in case things got out of control with the civilian guards. She would only have moments in Kale tried to use force.

Keep your cool, Kale. Keep your cool.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
I'll follow the captain's lead. I don't trust him, but he is the captain and as such he is in the best position to get them out of this.

Using force now could get them out of custody...but then what? The best approach is to wait and see. Know what we are up against before acting. The lack of marines makes me uneasy.

The captain must be trying some sort of negotiation. Must be vigilant. Will I have to act?

If Kale attempts to take the guards by force, I'm not going to jump in unless it looks like Kale is going to get himself killed or seriously injured ...Let mechanic try to blunder through an escape attempt. When he fails, he will be the one under suspicion. Maybe less eyes on me?

I'm not going to let him get seriously hurt. If push comes to shove, I'll punch through the lock and attempt to save him.

I hope Natasha stays out of this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Her pounding was ignored by the guards. She didn't want to call out to the guards on the intercom. The guards in the cell with Arkam seemed green, not quite right somehow. She didn't know who might be on the other end of the microphone though. Better to try and deal with that which was currently known.

She watched through the window, hoping a guard would turn her way so she could wave them down and see how far this disguise would take her.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The commotion brought guards. But not imperial guards- interesting. How many men did a ship this size hold? How many actually trained? The Owl is low on fuel so he can't just break out and run back to her; this has to be done under the rule of law, if possible. The odds of being able to do this, however were...well...he'll just have to deal with that later. There is an imperial officer sulking in the doorway down the hall and some chatter about some electrical short in one of the cells. Good. Time to press his luck. Leering at the officer: "YOU!", he hissed, "I made a legal and just demand and now I see my crew is being harmed by your incompetence?! Is this what stands for your so-called 'Imperial Order'? Unacceptable!" Either you get me out of the cell immediately or I demand to see your Captain in his quarters post haste!"


You all are a posty bunch! Remind me to teach all you non-Americans about the glorious three day weekend in honor of Martin Luther King....whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
During the week I really only have time in the evenings. Mornings (now) I can check in briefly before work. So it'll be about 12 hours until I respond properly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The guards at Kale's cell seem unsure what to do. You can't quite make the words out, even if you stand close to your cell door, but Kale can hear them, of course.

"He's hurt, Sir! And something's broken, on the wall?"

"Pretending to be hurt, most likely", the marine officer sneers. "And by Zeus keep an eye on him!"

Kale doubles over in fake pain, trying to mask that he was reaching for the pocket knife under the bed as the guards hastily look his way again. It's easy to fake the pain, with his hand throbbing like mad.

"It's these damn amateurs, trying to avoid paying toll or duties, maybe have some contraband among their crates for some extra credits, or take on unregistered passengers. They get restless or panicky in their cells, like caged sabretooths. They've only heard stories, they don't know what's going on. Ignore the shouting, don't turn your back on them, and just smack them if they try anything."

He crosses his arms, and sighs heavily.

"Alright, grab him, keep him in front of you, and put him in the cell next to the woman. Yes, this one here. Ignore the shouting. And you, the blonde one, call engineering and tell them to take a look at that wall, and then go get me a cup of coffee."

Everyone: They obviously don't know that who they have captured: a legendary smuggling captain and a highborn master sorceress, and company. You're all extremely capable people; among the four of you you can teleport, punch through a steel door, shoot lightning from your fingertips, have training in swords and pistols, turn your body into a living weapon, deceive, intimidate, sabotage, make it light or dark at will and shatter objects from a distance. And the Imperials have no clue. What you don't have is time: the moment they've transmitted the Owl's codes, it's back to Count Carlowe for Natasha, possible slavery for Naomi, a penal colony for Kale and the gallows for Cyrus. The clock is ticking. And you have little opportunity to communicate. Which one of you is most likely to take the risk, and the lead, and seize the opportunity? Which one of you doesn't dare to wait any longer and makes a move? Which one of you has a plan, or decides they don't need one? Who likes action, who likes danger, who likes to show off their skills and who is determined to stay free and out of the hands of the Imperials?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie, the young lab assistant-turned-prison guard, looked simultaneously miffed at being called "Blondie", and relieved to be getting away from the caveman in the open cell. She turned and headed towards the officer, past Naomi's door. "Why did that horrible starship captain have to choose my research station for an 'efficiency audit'?" she thinks to herself. "We told him the station was so far away from the supernova because of the radiation levels, and going in closer for 'more effective sensor readings' was too dangerous. Then when his crew gets sick he blames us and conscripts us as a replacement! What a shame he's too thick-skulled to have been affected himself."

Yeah, stay behind me., thought Kale, hunching over over his wounded hand.

The male "guard", not having done this sort of thing before, tried to encourage Kale to stand, wincing every time Kale flinched away in pain.
He had to half-lift, half push him towards the door.

Looks like I won't get a better chance than this. Kale makes eye contact with Naomi, then rolls his eyes towards the guy giving the orders. He then slowly blinks.

Kale's fingers twitch (ouch!) and his lips move as he quietly casts Dark Spell. He's quite comfortable in the darkness, he hopes Naomi is, too.

He agilely twists out of the grip of the guard behind him, knees him in the groin and, as the guard doubles over in pain, raps him on the back of the head with his elbow.
At least I hope that's how it goes. The only Tricky tag I haven't added is tumbler - I don't think I can justify that unless I complicate it further and probably make it harder.
1 + 1 (Tricky) + 4 (Quick, Dirty Fighting, Escape, Contortionist) + 3 (Pool) 9d6c[4] = (3, 6, 2, 6, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5) = 6
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 653313. Cringing Dragon
  • 9d6c[4] =
  • (3, 6, 2, 6, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5) =
  • 6
  • 1 + 1 (Tricky) + 4 (Quick, Dirty Fighting, Escape, Contortionist) + 3 (Pool)
  • Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:27 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait with narrating anything or asking questions until everyone has had a chance to act, but even though Kale is in pain, that's a fantastic success; better than you hoped for. Feel free to describe that in any way you like, the guard being out cold for instance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does casting Dark Spell also need a roll, or are there some skills that are automatic? Should I ask this in the other thread?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the other thread; quick ooc notes here are fine, though.

You roll dice only when you need to overcome an obstacle; when succeeding would overcome the obstacle and advance the story, and failure would escalate the situation or introduce a complication so the story develops into a different direction.

The obstacle here is overcoming the guard, so that's why a roll is needed. Casting the Dark Spell is part of that attempt. I wouldn't ask for a roll simply to cast the spell, because nothing interesting would happen on a failure; it would simply not get dark.

It depends on the situation. If Cringing Dragon had indicated that casting her Dark Spell was aimed at rendering the security cameras useless, I would have ruled that as overcoming an obstacle, and on a failure let marines arrive, for instance.

You have a run tag. I wouldn't ask for a roll for you to simply run down a hallway, but I would if you were chased or you had twenty seconds to stop the Owl from getting jettisoned.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
deleted and put in OOC thread
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
Naomi watched Kale and smiled. She could see he was up to something. She would watch and wait, ready to act.

He's going to try for it. Darkness. Nice touch. Don't underestimate the mechanic, there's more to him than appears at first glance.

Darkness hit. Ready, Naomi punched through the lock on her cell door and kicked open the door. She entered the hallway in a crouch and moved towards the captain's cell.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Please roll against difficulty 3 to see if you can punch through the lock before the Imperials can react.

Natasha and Cyrus: Are you doing anything to aid in the escape?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb


Roll: 1 (base) +1 (pit-fighter) +4 (Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard) Roll to break out of cell in time to help 6d6c[3] = (1, 2, 2, 6, 5, 1) = 2
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 653528. oldhoss
  • 6d6c[3] =
  • (1, 2, 2, 6, 5, 1) =
  • 2
  • Roll to break out of cell in time to help
  • Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you mean to use no dice from your pool? Also the roll should have been 6d6c[4], not 6d6c[3]; you need a 4+ for a success. (Although it didn't matter this time, as no 3's were rolled)

Do you want to try again, with dice from your pool and the proper numbers, or do you want to let it stand?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While watching through the window, getting frustrated at being ignored by the guards, Lady Blackbird saw the First Mate do a little twitch and was suddenly enveloped in darkness. Well isn't that interesting, she thought to herself. Not knowing how long Arkam's little trick would last, it suddenly seemed like the perfect opportunity to zap the security cameras and hope that no one would notice from whence it came. It being dark and all.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Roll against a difficulty of 3 to zap the cameras before anyone notices something's going on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
purplewurple wrote:
Did you mean to use no dice from your pool? Also the roll should have been 6d6c[4], not 6d6c[3]; you need a 4+ for a success. (Although it didn't matter this time, as no 3's were rolled)

Do you want to try again, with dice from your pool and the proper numbers, or do you want to let it stand?

I'm such a noob. Thanks for your patience everyone.

I'll take my 6 + 4 from my pool = 10 (rolling for a 4 for success)

noob reroll 10d6c[4] = (6, 3, 6, 2, 3, 6, 3, 2, 6, 2) = 4
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 653564. oldhoss
  • 10d6c[4] =
  • (6, 3, 6, 2, 3, 6, 3, 2, 6, 2) =
  • 4
  • noob reroll
  • Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 pm
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So 1 + 1 Spellcaster, 1 Channeling, 1 Lightning ? And then I can add more? Right?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 base, 1 for Master Sorcerer, and then 1 for each tag under that trait that applies. So, yes, you could use Spellcaster, Channeling, Lightning and also Stormblood, for 1+1+4 = 6 total. And then decide how much from your pool you would like to use (you have 7 dice in your pool at the moment).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will use one from the Pool.

Lady Blackbird zaps the Security Cameras in the Dark - 7d6c[4] = (2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 3, 5) = 2

shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 653570. oriecat
  • 7d6c[4] =
  • (2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 3, 5) =
  • 2
  • Lady Blackbird zaps the Security Cameras in the Dark -
  • Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:59 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... at least you're now up to 8 dice in your pool. I'll narrate the successes and failures tomorrow, hopefully after sweetgotham has posted too. Do you have a suggestion for what could have gone wrong, or some complication that might happen next?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |