Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
cry Nobody played all weekend and I have to go to site tomorrow. I will try to find time to check in, but I might not be able to post for the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to wait for Naomi and Cyrus to advance the story. Hopefully we can find a posting pace soon that works for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be the odd one out, in that weekends are when I have time and during the week it's difficult. But these last couple of weeks - and this week, too - have been crazy busy. It should get better next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm around most of the time, because I have no life, but I also have no imagination it feels like, so it's hard for me to come up with stuff, but I will keep trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mb
Sorry for being late to the game here. I had a client get into a whole heap of trouble with the SEC and the IRS. I'm usually pretty available during the week but this past week and the week upcoming might be difficult (16-18 hour days at work, 7 days a week)

It is 1:30 CST right now. I have to get some things done here at work but will post something around 3:00 CST.

I should be able to get here at least once per day going forward. But this case I'm working on may have a few more surprises that could take me away for days at a time. I feel bad about this and I don't want to hold up the game. I'd be happy to ask someone on GQ to replace me if I'm dragging the story down.

Let me know. There will be no hurt feelings. I love all you guys! I just don't want to suck the fun out of this for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's alright, Brian. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't mind a slower pace; if we all want to go to a one post/two days schedule that's fine, if we want to skip the weekends, that's fine too. A slower pace could be temporary or permanent.

What doesn't work for me is if someone is not posting without letting the others know. Then, either everyone is waiting for one person, forcing me to make decisions for that character or risk letting the game die, or the others continue posting and some characters end up half a scene ahead of the others, and nobody quite knows what's going on with the story.

Basically, I want to play a game and tell a story, not do damage control or repair things. But if everybody knows that somebody is not available for a week, for instance, then we can all just take a break and I don't have to worry about the game until we resume playing. So thanks for letting us know.

Good luck with the case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Mudflaps
mb
Posted in story thread.

If things are moving along and you want to keep them moving and don't want to wait for me, you can write my scenes through the attempt to take down the marine and free Cyrus.

This is getting good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are conditions removed? ie how do we get Kale out of pain and undazed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Refreshment scenes; Naomi and Kale already asked for one after this scene. Others can join or have one too, if they need/want it. It allows you to fill your dice pool back up to 7, and remove one condition or regain the use of one once-per-game secret. There's not normally anything connected to a condition, rules-wise, other than potentially increasing difficulties, so I might lift the restriction on spell-casting after this scene anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks! You probably already said that, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
The spellcasting condition I pretty much put on myself - I was the one who played it that it got harder with each spell. Kale is, after all, only a petty sorcerer, it didn't feel right for him to be doing everything with spells. It's a shame that the one thing he tried to do with his other skills was a spectacular failure. laugh Hopefully he'll get more chances to use his meknik skillz.

And now we should have finally got Cyrus to where his skills come in handy. If anyone can find his way to the docking bay without running into more guards, it'll be him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
To all of you: life comes first. If you're enjoying this, have fun with it - that is the only reason to play. And if life gets in the way, just let us know, we'll work around that.

For me, this little adventure is a nice escape from work, which is pretty stressful right now. So although I don't have as much time for it as I'd like to have, I am really enjoying playing.

SG: If you're only playing for our sakes, and this is adding to your life load at a time when you need it least, then just say so, you don't need to justify it, and we'll play Cyrus between us. Before you explained, I thought your absence might have been due to frustration at Cyrus' inability to use any of his skills. That's the main reason I had Kale let you out rather than tackling the guard while Naomi took on the officer (that's how I thought it was going to go, anyway). So thank you for explaining, and don't let us make the situation any worse. If you're having fun, and it's a little bright spot like it is for me, then please keep playing, just try to give us some idea if there's going to be periods of time when we won't hear from you.

oldhoss: you appear to be having fun, but work is getting in the way. That's no drama, we'll carry on when we can do so and wait for you otherwise.

ocat: I left you to last because I suspect this will be longest one. You're new to this, and that's perfectly fine. Ask as many questions as you need to. I think all of us are new to this game, and we're kind of making the rules up as we go along. At least I am, but it seems to me that's the way this one is played - purple will electrocute me or something if I go too far astray (no, I'm not accusing you of that for the first one, purple, no hard feelings ninja). I've spent many hours playing RPGs - but this is my first online one, so I have to get used to the pace and I realise I'm coming across as champing at the bit. I don't mean to put pressure on. My advice to you is that this is a game, the intention is to have fun. Don't worry about mistakes - purple (or the rest of us) will make them entertaining, he's not going to kill you off (or he'll suffer a dragon's wrath!). And don't, REALLY don't, worry about the rest of us reacting badly.
I'm deliberately playing Kale as a low-brow, more brawn than brains type (except where engines are concerned, he's good with those) - and I'm doing that because it's completely not me - I'm an academic type, far more suited to analytical and planning work than hands-on stuff. Kale and Natasha are not going to see eye to eye in many things. But that's where the fun comes in. Play that for everything it's worth. Kale's probably too dim to notice any clever remarks you make about him, and even if you do manage to insult him, you certainly won't insult me. Remember, too, that we only know as much about Natasha as you choose to tell us (either Natasha speaking up, or by adding other in-play text), and of course there's nothing stopping us from deciding we know things about Natasha, too. While I didn't make it clear, Kale called Natasha Her Ladyship because of her refined manner, not because he's got any clue who she is. For me, that was more about defining Kale's character than Natasha's. Throw caution to the wind, try things you'd never do in real life, and most of all... have fun with it!

And if you're really stuck for what to do next and don't want to ask in the open, GeekMail purple or me - but I'm not going to tell you what to do, only try and prompt you a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Mudflaps
mb
FYI:

I will get to my part of the refresh scene some time late tonight. There is a chance I can get to it earlier. But it will be tonight (CST) for sure.

I'm having fun and have been keeping up on my reading of both the story and ooc threads. I just like to give my story posts some thought. Thanks for hanging in with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're waiting, maybe we could throw out some ideas or thoughts on where to go next? I don't think we should abandon the Owl, it seems like it would be really hard to get it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that an escape pod will get Natasha where she needs to go.
And Kale would be really upset to abandon her.
I tried to nudge things in that direction by implying that Snargle was still hiding on board. We can't abandon Snargle, surely?
But if we happen across any escape pods, we could jettison them to distract the Imperials and maybe make them think we're on one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's a good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringy, Mindy, while we're waiting for Brian and Jessica, would you like to play a different game? Our second Do game is almost finished and I could get you in the next, or we could try a game that we can play with just the three of us, like Fiasco. I'm sorry this game isn't running as smoothly as I'd hoped...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for either of those. And don't worry, Jack. These things happen and it's just life. Thanks for doing everything you've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been following the other games, but that sounds good to me, too. I'll have a bit of a look over the weekend.

Thanks, Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Mudflaps
mb
Sorry everyone.

I feel like such a jerk. I'm normally around BGG way too much -- more than is good for me. But this case has taken over my life and I don't see an end in sight.

I'm dueling with both the IRS and the SEC in court and angry investors at my client's headquarters. My client is being charged with a mini-Madoff type of ponzi scheme. I've been 24-7 at my client's headquarters and we are not even close to being done.

So, if someone wants to or is willing to replace me, I'd be happy to let them take over. As much as I want to do this (this was getting really fun), I don't know what tomorrow holds work wise. It could be another week of 24-7 work or it could be two more months of this. I just don't know.

Again, I apologize. Jack, for all the work you put in and Cringe, Orie and Sweet for putting up with this. I feel like a complete heel. I hope you understand. Sorry.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, hoss! I hope things settle down quickly for you. That doesn't sound fun. And good luck with the case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it Brian, and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

This isn't about me wanting to play a PbF and needing players for it, it's about providing an opportunity for GQ'ers to play a PbF together. So rather than replacing someone, I could put this on hold and find another game that requires fewer players for the others to play in the meantime. But I can totally understand it if you want me to find a new player, Brian, so you have one less thing to worry about and you don't have to keep telling us that it will yet take more time. For me at least, it's also not a problem to temporarily halt our story and pick it up again in April or September or whenever everybody has enough time; if that helps you to put it out of your mind and not feel guilty about it. I'm articulating this badly, but what I'm trying to say is that the game is there for the players and not the other way around, and you shouldn't feel bad for things beyond your control.

I haven't heard anything from sweetgotham. She's active on facebook as always, but I don't know why she isn't participating here. That makes things a bit more difficult, as I'd like to come to some sort of decision about how to proceed with the game, rather than let it peter out. That's really my main worry: games that dwindle because posting becomes more and more sporadic and interest evaporates are very unsatisfying to me, while we could end Lady Blackbird here and I'd be happy that we played a great scene and I'd be at the most disappointed that we didn't get to see more character interactions.

Those are my thoughts, at least. I'm curious to hear what the others think.

Good luck with everything, Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like SG and oldhoss both have an awful going on in Real Life right now. I'm quite happy to put this on hold and maybe come back to it when things are under control.

Thank you, purple, for organising and running this. It is both my first PBF RPG, and my first storytelling one. It was a good choice for both, and I may not have done either of those if you hadn't organised this.

Do seems insane - I'm not sure how much of that is the game and how much is our players but I'm prepared to give it a shot. I may be a bit too rational for it. I'll need to "help people by being coldly rational" or something. I haven't read the rules yet, just scanned through the last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
And oldhoss, I sympathise with your having to deal with the SEC. I am a mining engineer working for a mining company that's listed in both Australia and the US. The Australian reporting of Ore Reserves is heavily regulated, but is sensible - complying with it does take a fair bit of effort, but it's all for reasons that are understandable and make sense, and aren't actually wasted effort (ie it's useful for us, too). Most other countries recognise that reporting under the Australian JORC code is at least as stringent as the local rules, and allow companies to declare Ore Reserves under the JORC code on their own stock exchanges.

Not so the US. They have a completely different set of rules, which are not meaningful for any other purpose. While they claim that it's about transparency, most mining companies have been given specific rulings which are confidential - we are not allowed to tell the public, nor our own shareholders, of the specific rulings that we are reporting under. How is that transparent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh