Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
106 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Back-alley Blackbird - OOC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
TELEPORT?!? Is that what Jump does?
I'm only a second rate sorcerer, I figured it was a wannabe fly spell! "Well I can't fly exactly, but I can jump real high!"

Why am I worried about picking locks if I can teleport?

*beats head against wall*
It's not you, it's your good friend Cyrus, who is a natural warpblood, although not trained as a sorcerer.
Quote:
Secret of Warpblood
Once per game, you can teleport yourself or someone you're touching.

Just like Wonderella, Kale can't fly, but he can totally jump hella high!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of Cyrus, sweetgotham, I hope you're not annoyed by the guards repeatedly ignoring your demands. Like I explained in the thread a my geekmail to you, you can always make a die roll, to attempt to do anything you like.

But Lady Blackbird is a high adventure, high action, high drama swashbuckling game, with each character having training in fighting techniques, and plenty more traits to run, sneak about, dodge traps and cast spells. Sitting down and talking, not so much. So it's not really something I'll encourage, but you still can try, if you like. Explain what it is you're trying to do, I'll assign a difficulty, and you can roll the dice. My idea of a meeting between Captain Hollas and Cyrus Vance would start with Hollas recognizing Vance, and end with Hollas shooting Vance a second later, but maybe your idea is totally different.

If you simply want to play Cyrus as a friendly, lawful stickler to the rules, convinced of his own charisma and persuasiveness (helped by a bribe, maybe), who doesn't care about hiding that he's ex-imperial, that's totally cool, and could lead to interesting situations down the road. Where the story goes depends almost entirely on the players' answers to the questions, and the die rolls, so who knows?

I just wanted to make clear that the guards ignoring Cyrus's demands, does not mean I'm ignoring your posts!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my keys is loyalty to Cyrus, which is the main reason I didn't initiate a break out. But, what the hey, the guards are green, and Kale is free... almost... and I'm sure that, Concealed somewhere upon his person, he has a buckle he can swash...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
OK, now that the lights are out, here is what I want to do in order:

1. Punch out of my cell;
2. Punch open Cyrus' cell
3. Attack and incapacitate the actual Marine (not kill just yet -- but if it happens...it happens)(Cyrus might be able to help with the Marine);
4. Assist Kale with the non-Marine guards (if needed); and
5. After all guards are subdued, rescue Natasha.


Before, you said It would be a difficulty of 5 to punch through lock in single blow and get to guards before they can draw weapons. How has this changed (if at all) because of Kale's actions?

For this I'll roll the following traits (tell me if I'm wrong):
Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, Awareness, Disarm, Sneak, Hide, Run, Tough, Aware (13 total -- seems like a lot of dice -- too many?).

Do you want me to roll for each of the four steps on just one combo roll? Does Cyrus need to roll too? Let me know how you want me to proceed. Once I get the go ahead, I will roll and then tell the attendant story.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, punching through the lock is an automatic success for Naomi; the question is can she do it in time? And that depends on: in time for what? Before the marine officer has a free shot at Kale? Before more guards arrive? You can assume a difficulty of 3.

You can pick one trait to help you with your roll, and only tags listed under that trait. So if you pick Pit-fighter; Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard are all tags that apply to punching the door open in time. So you would roll 1 (base) +1 (pit-fighter) +4 (Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard) + any dice from your pool.

Overcoming the guards is a different obstacle, difficulty 2. And the marine guard is a 4, assuming he has his weapon pointed at you and you are unarmed (as far as you are ever really unarmed). Otherwise it's a 3. Pit-fighter would be a logical trait for this too, and one where you can use your Combat Tested tag, in addition to the others.

Start with getting through the door, and then give the others a chance to act before you get to your next action.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
purplewurple wrote:
Well, punching through the lock is an automatic success for Naomi; the question is can she do it in time? And that depends on: in time for what? Before the marine officer has a free shot at Kale? Before more guards arrive? You can assume a difficulty of 3.

You can pick one trait to help you with your roll, and only tags listed under that trait. So if you pick Pit-fighter; Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard are all tags that apply to punching the door open in time. So you would roll 1 (base) +1 (pit-fighter) +4 (Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard) + any dice from your pool.

Overcoming the guards is a different obstacle, difficulty 2. And the marine guard is a 4, assuming he has his weapon pointed at you and you are unarmed (as far as you are ever really unarmed). Otherwise it's a 3. Pit-fighter would be a logical trait for this too, and one where you can use your Combat Tested tag, in addition to the others.

Start with getting through the door, and then give the others a chance to act before you get to your next action.

OK, I punched open the lock and stepped into the hallway. My goal is to head towards the Captain. I'd like to get his door open quick before confronting the Marine, but will attempt to disarm the Marine if timing/circumstances necessitate as much.

I am also somewhat cautious about revealing my true capabilities as I want avoid questions about who Natasha really is that she needs such a lethal body guard. For this reason, Natasha would like to make it so that the captain is the one who disarms the Marine.

But if its not possible, she will do what she needs to.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear; you should still roll for punching open the lock (vs difficulty 3), since there's time pressure. There's no doubt Naomi can get through the door, but she might not do it in time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
ok. will do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Cap'n, this is how she rolls.

There's a Roll button under the smileys on the right hand side. Use it.
In the Roll space enter the number of dice, then D6 (for 6 sided dice) then c[4] so that counts the rolls 4 or more (I didn't know that last bit before playing this game). So for 5 dice it would be:
5d6[4]

Then in the Comments space put in what the dice are for, to help purple check. That might be:
1 + 1 (ex-Imperial soldier) + 2 (maps, Imperial war ships) + 1 (pool)
If you were trying to find your way to the docking bay.
The first dice is free then 1 for the trait you're using then 1 for each relevant tag under that trait, then as many of your pool dice as you choose.

If you were trying to find your way to the docking bay whilst avoiding marines, you could probably add another die for your Tactics tag. But that would probably need a higher roll so it's not worth making it more complicated just to get an extra die.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
As the guard goes down, Kale grabs the shiny keys and the gun from his belt.

Can I talk my way into claiming my shiny Greed key, or is that pushing it? arrrh

...will post more, have to run for the train now...
That's pushing it . However, you're well on your way to hitting your Key of the Mission, and going into danger because of that for double the XP or dice. I'm not giving it to you yet, because you could still abandon the mission and escape with Cyrus and leave Lady Blackbird behind... (That's not a suggestion, merely a description of the darkest timeline.)
If I kidnap Lady Blackbird and escape with Cyrus, can I claim all three keys. How shiny is she?
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I'm sure there's a big bounty for bringing back the Lady to Count Carlowe. Who was obviously secretly Uriah Flint all along. And you and Cyrus could have your Bond of Brotherhood rites at their wedding! Which is on an tiny island in the middle of a wereshark infested sea. Yep, that's three keys, and putting yourself in danger. No problem!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
Cringing Dragon wrote:

In the Roll space enter the number of dice, then D6 (for 6 sided dice) then c[4] so that counts the rolls 4 or more (I didn't know that last bit before playing this game). So for 5 dice it would be:
5d6[4]

Then in the Comments space put in what the dice are for, to help purple check. That might be:
1 + 1 (ex-Imperial soldier) + 2 (maps, Imperial war ships) + 1 (pool)
If you were trying to find your way to the docking bay.
The first dice is free then 1 for the trait you're using then 1 for each relevant tag under that trait, then as many of your pool dice as you choose.

Noob question: How/when are pool dice replenished?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Ways:

- Lose a die roll, and you get back all pool dice spent on that roll, plus one extra.
- Hit a Key, and you get either 1 experience point or 1 die in your pool. Go into danger because of your key, and you get 2 (or 1 and 1). Five XP buys you an advance (a new trait, tag, secret or key; the other way to gain advances is if you fulfill a key's buyoff condition, then you may remove it and immediately gain two advances).

And most importantly

- Have a refreshment scene: a scene where you and at least one other character talk and ask each other questions. If the story is always full of action with not much chance to talk, a refreshment scene can be a flashback. You may remove a condition or regain the use of a once per game secret, depending on the details of the scene, and if you have less than 7 dice in your pool, you go back to the starting total of 7. Simply let me know with an ooc note to your post that you'd like to have a refreshment scene, and I'll give you one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
oldhoss wrote:
OK, now that the lights are out, here is what I want to do in order:

1. Punch out of my cell;
2. Punch open Cyrus' cell
3. Attack and incapacitate the actual Marine (not kill just yet -- but if it happens...it happens)(Cyrus might be able to help with the Marine);
4. Assist Kale with the non-Marine guards (if needed); and
5. After all guards are subdued, rescue Natasha.


Before, you said It would be a difficulty of 5 to punch through lock in single blow and get to guards before they can draw weapons. How has this changed (if at all) because of Kale's actions?

For this I'll roll the following traits (tell me if I'm wrong):
Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, Awareness, Disarm, Sneak, Hide, Run, Tough, Aware (13 total -- seems like a lot of dice -- too many?).

Do you want me to roll for each of the four steps on just one combo roll? Does Cyrus need to roll too? Let me know how you want me to proceed. Once I get the go ahead, I will roll and then tell the attendant story.

After my noob reroll, I made it out of my cell and am now crouched in the dark. I want to head to the captain's cell and attempt to open his door before taking on any guards.

I believe the marine is somewhere near the captain's cell. Am I correct? If so, what is the difficulty in getting Cyrus's cell opened before getting intercepted by the Marine?

If I do get intercepted, what is the difficulty in disarming/disabling/defeating/killing him in the dark?

I believe the Marine to be our biggest problem. I feel confident in my ability to take him. However, I still would like Cyrus' help here. If I am forced to engage with the Marine, my preference will be to disarm and disable him. However, I will kill him if it comes to that. How does that affect dice rolls?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really just waiting for sweetgotham to post; after that I'll narrate the whole thing, and it will be more clear where everyone is at.

I believe that Cringing Dragon established the layout as

[Natasha] [Naomi] [empty cells]
----|---------------|-----------|-|-|-
| marine
| officer
----|---------------|-----------|-|-|-
[Kale] [Cyrus] [empty cells]

With Kale and the other guards roughly in the doorway to Kale's cell.

The problem with crossing the hallway and hammering open Cyrus's door, is getting shot at while you do so. It might be that someone can help you with that (in addition to the darkness), otherwise the bullets will be a bigger obstacle than the door. But you have the Ex-slave trait to help you with that (Sneak, Tough, Endure), against difficulty 4. If you fail, you'll still get the door open, but get injured while you do so.

Killing or disabling the marine is the same difficulty, 4. (Or 3 if he's distracted, or something like that.) But if your goal is to keep everyone safe rather than going for damage, you'll use your bodyguard trait and may roll a different number of dice.

Also note that not killing the marine officer goes against your Key of Vengeance and possibly your Key of the Warrior.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
purplewurple wrote:

Also note that not killing the marine officer goes against your Key of Vengeance and possibly your Key of the Warrior.

Yes, but I was thinking that he might have valuable information that we can get from him. Of course we may have to beat it out of him. whistle

I'm thinking big picture vengeance. While one guard is nice, I'd rather do in the entire Imperial crew. Maybe he can help me get there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How strong is the Shatter Spell?
I figured that using it to smash the window right next to me would be easy/automatic.
Difficulty would logically increase with the strength of the material I'm shattering.
What about distance? Do I need to be able to see it, or is it enough to know where it is?

Could I, for example, Shatter the lock on Cyrus' door?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:

I believe that Cringing Dragon established the layout as

[Natasha] [Naomi] [empty cells]
----|---------------|-----------|-|-|-
| marine
| officer
----|---------------|-----------|-|-|-
[Kale] [Cyrus] [empty cells]

With Kale and the other guards roughly in the doorway to Kale's cell.
That's pretty close to how I had it in my head except I hadn't figured out what was in the other direction. Now I know it's a wall. laugh
And I had Kale a little more firmly in the room, definitely not the corridor, but my post said the guard was pushing me towards the door when Kale snotted him so I didn't make it clear where I thought he was.

And I've since moved Blondie towards the officer in response to his order.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficulty also depends on the plot

You could definitely shatter the lock on Cyrus's door. Difficulty 3. And that's to shatter the lock safely. On a failure, the lock would still be ruined, but maybe a sonic boom makes it rain glass everywhere, alert everyone in this sector of the ship, and hurt Cyrus.

Assume you can shatter anything you like (within reason; somebody's heart is clearly not within the scope of the spell). Shattering somebody's pistol holster isn't intrinsically harder or easier than the ship's hangar bay doors. If you find a cool, creative use for the spell, I'm certainly not going to stop you because you don't have line of sight, or something silly like that.

I can't give you a definite answer; like a list of break difficulties for different types of furniture or something like that. If it takes the story in an awesome direction if you succeed, success will probably be automatic. If a failure could have spectacular consequences too, roll the dice. That's all I can give you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good. It wasn't numbers I was after, just a general scope. If it's only circumstances that make it harder and not the material, distance, etc, then at least I have a framework to work within.

And for my next question, does the "use one spell tag at a time" qualifier mean per casting or concurrent spell effects? Obviously it means I can't do a "dark jump" spell to get an extra dice. But I'm also assuming that the darkness spell requires some level of maintenance and that I can't cast another spell without dropping it. Or does that, too, just add a circumstance difficulty to casting the second? On a failure I lose concentration and drop the first spell.
You're going to tell me it's all about the story, aren't you? So long as I make it entertaining enough (failures included especially) I can get away with nearly anything...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do recap and the results of the rolls and more questions soon. I was waiting for Cyrus to act, but I read on her facebook page that sweetgotham has other things on her mind right now.

Cringing Dragon wrote:
And for my next question, does the "use one spell tag at a time" qualifier mean per casting or concurrent spell effects? Obviously it means I can't do a "dark jump" spell to get an extra dice. But I'm also assuming that the darkness spell requires some level of maintenance and that I can't cast another spell without dropping it. Or does that, too, just add a circumstance difficulty to casting the second? On a failure I lose concentration and drop the first spell.
From the rules, the one spell tag at a time means only that you can't do a "dark jump" spell (i.e. you can't cast both jump and darkness to overcome a single obstacle). But you're the petty sorcerer, so you tell me if you need to concentrate to maintain the spell, or if it's "fire and forget", so to speak, or something different. I was going with the darkness slowly dissipating, but if you describe how concentrating on it keeps it dark or whatever, that's fine. Other details, like do you need to speak a magic word or draw a rune in the air, is it instantaneous, is it a cloud of darkness or does it do something to the lights &c. you can fill in as well, or leave them open for me to describe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
Hey, unable to post in story thread until tomorrow afternoon. Crazy couple days in court. Sorry.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
II hate typing on this tablet, and since most of you are probably sleeping I'll wait until after work to post.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oldhoss wrote:
Hey, unable to post in story thread until tomorrow afternoon. Crazy couple days in court. Sorry.
You're appealing to get us out of gaol, I hope.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...checking in...
I gather from last week that I'm the exception in that I have more time on the weekend than during the week (how do people have time to "play" at work? I really don't get that). And this is long weekend for us, too.. Monday is Australia Day.
...and Tuesday I'm off to a mine site again, so Tuesday and Wednesday will be difficult for me and I may not be able to post.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |