Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC post
OK, so I'm thinking now that I'm used to RPGs with heavy GM control, not ones where the players tell both sides of the story. So I need to have done more with oldhoss' cue about the irregular thumping - because if anyone knows what that is, it's the meknik.

oldhoss- thanks for starting this here, it's helping me too
...and I'm a mining engineer - when things are too hard to move, I blow them up I haven't had to do that to a lawyer yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Arkam pulls his wrench from it's belt-loop, flips it end-to-end and hefts it like he means business. And he does mean business.
"Sure, Bishop," rolls his eyes "whatever you say."
...and follows Bishop around the corner.
Colored and bolded looks pretty good, imho. We haven't even started the game, and we're already role playing. Good! I do wish sweetgotham would let us know something...

So here I would write things like:

Kale: Do you find what you're looking for? You're a mechanic, what do you think is making that noise? What do you think of Naomi taking the lead; do you trust her?

Naomi: Is this place guarded by marines, or are there other obstacles in your path? Are you ready to fight, or do you have other plans to get what you're after? Does your history as a slave make you want to hurt or kill Imperials?

Kale and Naomi: You both know how to hide and sneak, do you see a way to stay unnoticed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's try that again...

Arkam pulls his wrench from it's belt-loop, flips it end-to-end and hefts it like he means business. And he does mean business.
"Sure, Bishop," rolls his eyes "if you really think you can find a better replacement for the failed piston than your beer keg, by all means, let's go."
...and follows Bishop around the corner.

And now I'm off to bed. I probably won't be able to post again for ~22 hours due to travel and work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
Cyrus Vance
An ex-Imperial soldier turned smuggler and soldier-of-fortune, Captain of the Owl.

Traits:

Ex-Imperial Soldier
Tactics, Command, Soldiers, Rank, Connections, Maps, Imperial War Ships

Smuggler
Haggle, Deception, Sneak, hide, Camouflage, forgery, Pilot, Navigation

Survivor
Tough, Run, Scrounge, Endure, Creepy Stare, Intimidate

Warrior
Battle-Hardened, Shooting, Two-Gun Style, Pistol, Fencing, Sword

Keys:

Key of the Commander
You are accustomed to giving orders and having them obeyed.
Hit your key when you come up with a plan and give orders to make it happen.
BUYOFF: Acknowledge someone else as the leader.

Key of Hidden Longing
You are completely enthralled by Lady Blackbird, but you don't want her to know it.
Hit your key when you make a decision based on this secret affection or when you somehow show it indirectly.
BUYOFF: Give up on your secret desire or make it public.

Key of the Outcast
You got exiled from the Empire.
Hit your key when your outcast status causes you trouble or is important in a scene.
BUYOFF: regain your former standing or join a new group.

Secrets:

Secret of Leadership
Once per game, you can give someone else a chance to re-roll a failed roll, by giving them orders, advice, or setting a good example.

Secret of Warpblood
Once per game, you can teleport yourself or someone you're touching.

Sorry guys, I was able to follow up my unplanned visit to KS with a nasty stomach virus that burned through the family. Worst way to lose 4 lbs in 1 day!

And on that note, bearing anymore crappy (hehe) bad luck, I should be more available to play. My own sense of self-importance and haughtiness leads me to want to play Blackbird herself, but I will select a less obvious character. You know, so I can actually role play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooo! Great to have you back, and free from viruses. If anything happens that prevents you from posting for more then a day or so, let me know in this thread so I know to wait for you. I'm going to get the game ready.

Btw: you picked the characters in the exact order I posted your avatars in the first post. Coincidence?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
And.... We've started!

Please subscribe to that thread too.

Let me know (in this thread) if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a dumb question! But with the questions you posed to us, do you actually want us to answer those (like literally one for one), or just use them as starting points for describing things and thoughts and actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
And should we write in first or third person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mb
oriecat wrote:

I'm going third person limited POV.

For what it's worth, I've started on the story thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Mudflaps
mb
oriecat wrote:
This is a dumb question! But with the questions you posed to us, do you actually want us to answer those (like literally one for one), or just use them as starting points for describing things and thoughts and actions?

I'll wait for Purps to respond to clarify, but I would treat those as things to think about as we write out next scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Not a dumb question! The main thing I'll be doing in the game is asking questions, to try to steer the game in an interesting direction and keep the game flowing.

They are indeed starting points, things to think about, to maybe work into your next post if you think they're interesting. Something to inspire or guide you.

Your posts and descriptions will inspire and guide my next set of questions, which I will probably post once per day, or whenever everyone has pretty much moved on, and that way there will be a sort of dialog between GM and players.

But yeah, think about them, even if you don't immediately answer them in a post. E.g. figuring out how you feel about the other characters will help you in their interactions with them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you can work answers to the questions in your posts, that'll be helpful to me and the others to get an idea of where everybody stands, what their background is, and so on. I don't know yet if these background questions will mostly be just now, since the characters' backgrounds are pretty much blank pages and there's not much else going on right now, or if I will sprinkle them in throughout the game. That depends on how you guys respond to the different types of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Whatever works best for you. If everyone writes 3rd person past tense, that's fine, but if you think first person present tense works better for you, that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a good time to give an example of rolling dice to overcome obstacles. Cringing Dragon mentioned Kale possibly trying to smash the window and pick the lock, when there are no guards watching.

So let's say you manage to get the guards to leave, and Kale wants to attempt this feat; I might say that the difficulty for doing this quickly and quietly, to get everyone out before the guards return, is a 3.

She would roll a number of dice: one to start, one more because she has a trait that helps (Burglar), four more for the tags Quiet, Dextrous, Locks and Perceptive that go with that trait and are applicable to the situation, and any number she wants to use from her pool, let's say three. That's nine dice total.

She would enter "9d6c[4]" in the roll field, and "1+1(burglar)+4(quiet,dextrous,locks,perceptive)+3(pool)" in the comments field:

1+1(burglar)+4(quiet,dextrous,locks,perceptive)+3(pool) 9d6c[4] = (3, 5, 2, 6, 1, 6, 4, 2, 1) = 4

4 Successes! She needed a minimum of 3 to succeed at overcoming the obstacle, so Kale's done it. You can click on the "4" to see the result of all die rolls, to see that indeed four of them show a 4 or higher. The three pool dice she used, are gone. She can get her pool dice back by failing a roll, or hitting her keys, or having a refreshment scene.

Cringing Dragon now gets to describe how Kale managed to pull it off, and the story moves on. If she had failed, she'd get her pool dice back, plus one extra, and I would describe how the guards returned just as she opened her own cell door, or an alarm went off, or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 650582. purplewurple
  • 9d6c[4] =
  • (3, 5, 2, 6, 1, 6, 4, 2, 1) =
  • 1+1(burglar)+4(quiet,dextrous,locks,perceptive)+3(pool)
  • Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:35 pm
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
Woooo! Great to have you back, and free from viruses. If anything happens that prevents you from posting for more then a day or so, let me know in this thread so I know to wait for you. I'm going to get the game ready.

Btw: you picked the characters in the exact order I posted your avatars in the first post. Coincidence?!

It would be SUPER helpful is the subscription to this thread worked gah!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
purplewurple wrote:

It would be SUPER helpful is the subscription to this thread worked gah!!!!
My subscription is working. Have you manually subscribed, or relied on posting to trigger an automatic subscription?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... I remember you not getting a subscription notification to the RPG GotW thread either, ages ago.

Did you click the subscribe link at the top of the thread under the title, and has that changed now to "unsubscribe"?

When you click on your subscriptions and go to manage subscriptions, does this thread show under threads? And if you go to preferences, is the notification type set the way you want it to (on site, e-mail or geekmail), and on the top right, is replies to threads set to yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Are spells done the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; there are no special rules for spells, other than that Kale Arkam, as someone who knows only a bit of magic instead of being a real stormblood/flameblood/&c.-blood, can only use one tag ending in 'spell' at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
So to cast darkness I only get one die?
Plus whatever I spend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
You get one die to start, as you always do, then one die for the Petty Magic trait, and one die for the Dark Spell tag, so that's three. Plus whatever you spend, yes. This is different from Lady Blackbird, who could use her Spellcaster, Channeling, Stormblood, Wind and Lightning tags to summon a thunderstorm, for instance, and have 7 dice before adding any from her pool.

But you only roll dice to overcome obstacles. If you simply want to make it dark, you can do that without a die roll.

Edit: and when you hit your keys, you gain experience points (XP), and you could spend those on extra tags on your Petty Magic trait, like Spellcaster and Channeling, which you can use in addition to a spell tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please try to post at least once a day. There's no reason not to post something; even if there's nothing you'd have your character do, there are always my questions to answer, and even an ooc note saying you're busy is better than nothing. The game grinds to a halt if everyone is waiting for everyone else, and I don't like stepping in and skipping people or making decisions for people if I don't know why they're not posting. You're holding up the game for everybody else.

On the topic of my questions; I would like to see you try to answer more of them in your posts. I realize this takes a while to get used to, so just try it out, address a question in a short sentence, and keep it in the back of your head for a next post.

In other RPG's, you may be used to simply say what your character does, and rely on the GM for world building, but Lady Blackbird is different. It may feel weird at first when I ask you how your character feels, or about two characters' shared past, when you've just started playing your character and there's so much about their personality and background that's unknown. But try to fill in those unknowns, as character interaction is at the heart of the story.

I can definitely understand it if you have to get used to me saying, for instance, that there are no marines guarding you, and ask you why that is! You didn't come up with that, how would you know? But in Lady Blackbird you're not just an actor, you're a writer and director too. So think of something that you would like to see in the story, something you think would be awesome. Perhaps Natasha thinks the marines are all in their fighter ships because of the recent Space Pirates attacks. And then I can ask Kale about the fighter ships and Cyrus about the Space Pirates. Suddenly they're a part of the story, and might help or fight you later. Anything that fits in the setting, i.e. a steampunky Star Wars/Firefly with magic sort of thing, is possible. You don't have to limit yourself to the elements that are already there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Mudflaps
mb
purplewurple wrote:
Please try to post at least once a day. There's no reason not to post something; even if there's nothing you'd have your character do, there are always my questions to answer, and even an ooc note saying you're busy is better than nothing. The game grinds to a halt if everyone is waiting for everyone else, and I don't like stepping in and skipping people or making decisions for people if I don't know why they're not posting. You're holding up the game for everybody else.

On the topic of my questions; I would like to see you try to answer more of them in your posts. I realize this takes a while to get used to, so just try it out, address a question in a short sentence, and keep it in the back of your head for a next post.

In other RPG's, you may be used to simply say what your character does, and rely on the GM for world building, but Lady Blackbird is different. It may feel weird at first when I ask you how your character feels, or about two characters' shared past, when you've just started playing your character and there's so much about their personality and background that's unknown. But try to fill in those unknowns, as character interaction is at the heart of the story.

I can definitely understand it if you have to get used to me saying, for instance, that there are no marines guarding you, and ask you why that is! You didn't come up with that, how would you know? But in Lady Blackbird you're not just an actor, you're a writer and director too. So think of something that you would like to see in the story, something you think would be awesome. Perhaps Natasha thinks the marines are all in their fighter ships because of the recent Space Pirates attacks. And then I can ask Kale about the fighter ships and Cyrus about the Space Pirates. Suddenly they're a part of the story, and might help or fight you later. Anything that fits in the setting, i.e. a steampunky Star Wars/Firefly with magic sort of thing, is possible. You don't have to limit yourself to the elements that are already there.

I should have no problem posting every day on weekdays. However, weekends maybe touch and go. I'll try my best though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
oldhoss wrote:
I should have no problem posting every day on weekdays. However, weekends maybe touch and go. I'll try my best though.
That's ok; a quick note in the OOC thread would be helpful though, so others know they don't have to wait for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cringing Dracolich
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
TELEPORT?!? Is that what Jump does?
I'm only a second rate sorcerer, I figured it was a wannabe fly spell! "Well I can't fly exactly, but I can jump real high!"

Why am I worried about picking locks if I can teleport?

*beats head against wall*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |