Legacy of Dragonholt
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2015 RPGG Review Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPG_Challenges_2015 [+] review [+] challenge [+] review_competition [+] [View All]
mbmbmb
This isn't the Iron Reviewer Challenge, it's a new challenge.

The Goal
In this challenge your goal is to accrue 65 points to earn a microbadge. The top three point totals will split any geekgold tipped to this post with 1st getting 50%, 2nd getting 30%, and third 20%.

There is a "victory" microbadge for 65 points:

mb

and also a participant badge for those who earn at least 10 points while also writing at least one review:

mb

(Thanks to indigopotter and Kattvippa for the badges!)

How do you score points?
The basics: you score 1 point for each review you write between now and December 31, 2015. Your review can be attached to any element of the database (RPG system, item, issue, periodical, series, setting) except for a single article. The only condition is that the review must be posted first to this site. No fair recopying everything from your blog to win the competition!

Monthly Bonuses:
Each month will have a theme. Get an extra point for reviews that fit the theme (max 2 per theme). Themes to be determined by me with input from others welcome. Themes will try to be loose enough that you can always find something you can review and stay on theme.

- Get up to 1 extra point per month for commenting on others' reviews.

Other Bonuses:
- Get 1 point for reviewing an RPG (as opposed to an item).*
- Get an extra point for being the first to review something.
- Get an extra point if your review gathers at least 20 thumbs. You may only receive this bonus point THREE times over the year.

*If you review an RPG that has only a single item (and will only ever have a single item), and you choose to place your review at the item level, you may still claim this bonus. Keep in mind that RPG (rather than item) reviews are meant to be comprehensive and based on actual play. Just be honest with yourself about whether your review merits the bonus. We trust you!

Penalties:
- Lose a point for replying to a review to correct spelling errors, grammar problems or typos. If you see those things, send a geekmail to the author.

Taking the Challenge

If you're interested, head over to this geeklist: 2015 RPGG Review Challenge Signup and Standings and sign up!

I think that's it. The first theme will open in January and it is "Adventures". Reviews about adventures, scenarios or playsets will get an extra point, max 2 for the month.

Any questions? Just ask.

December Theme: Holiday or Festival
Review an RPG or Item which includes a festival or holiday.

Chad Bowser
Kernersville
North Carolina

How do you score points?
The basics: you score 1 point for each review you write between now and December 31, 2014.

Get cracking, people! You have 9 days!
0.05
sos1 wrote:
Nation of Steves wrote:
... typos in pubic rather than private.

Hmmm

You do realize that was a test, don't you?
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
So maybe this is because I'm not an native speaking english person but what do you mean with the penalties?
Jeff G
Santa Rosa
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
Move along.
Not to rain on any parades or anything, but why do this when there's the established Iron Reviewer?
NH
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

Well, I didn't write it so can't say for certain. But I *think* it means they want you to have edited the review to perfection *before* you submit rather than after.

Personally, I think it will lead to a reduction in quality. People will be tempted to leave a previously-unnoticed unclear sentence rather than go in and edit it and thus lose a point even though it makes their review better.

[Mistaken impression based on earlier wording - ignore the above. It means don't correct others publicly, but instead send them a geek mail to point out typos, errors, etc., in their reviews.]
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
I must say that this rather puts me off. I understand the idea but really as a non native speaker it's rather annoying.
designer
That's completely the opposite of what was intended.

The penalty is if you write a post to correct grammar, a link, or some other trivial thing in someone else's review, rather than politely writing them a geekmail. I, and others, believe in "criticize privately, praise publicly," and this penalty is meant to incentivize others to do the same.

Hence the irony at the initial reaction to the post.

Why no Iron Reviewer? Obviously you haven't been following that. It's been completely dead this year, with almost no participation. We even had one person sign up and be unable to submit any reviews. By mid-summer only two people have been participating and (obviously) nobody has been paying attention to the competition, as this was all hashed out in the discussion thread. All that suggests another kind of incentive is needed.

Given the negative response to this, perhaps we should just call it off and let people write reviews as they'd like this next year.
0.05
vestige wrote:
That's completely the opposite of what was intended.

Hence the irony at the initial reaction to the post.

OH! I honestly did not understand that at all from the post! I really thought you meant it the way I answered Barad.

I didn't even realize my response to the initial post was ironic.
Oliver S
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
designer
I like this. I need some incentive to actually review the things in my queue, but I confess that I don't have the fortitude to attempt something as grueling as the Iron Reviewer. This sounds rather more like something I could do (or try and do).
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Sorry but I really did not get that myself. I actually read it to someone else and they had the same idea. This should be a bit clarified. But I like the new idea.
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
How do you score points?

Making sure I understand...this starts immediately, not January 1?

Also, I'm definitely in, and will now be disappointed if you cancel it.
Chad Bowser
Kernersville
North Carolina
mbmbmb
Well, because I was an ass, I'll go ahead and enter the challenge. To set a personal goal, I'm shooting for twelve points.
mbmbmb
Sure let's start right away, but the first theme is in January.

Iron Reviewer may still happen, this is just intended as a different approach to getting more people to write reviews. One of the problems with Iron Review is diminishing returns; you start with a large group of people writing reviews and it gradually dwindles until you just have two or three people battling it out. This year, Iron Reviewer has been generating either 8 or 16 reviews per month since August and with only two perspectives. It started out with 32 reviews per month with 16 people. Admittedly this is the worst year, but each year has generated fewer reviews than the year before.

The hope is that this way we'll be able to keep more people writing reviews longer. It will also mean you can join mid-year and still have a chance at the microbadge.

Sorry for the confusion on the pointing out errors thing. We thought it was clear.
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
As an idea, what about breaking down Iron Reviewer by month? I think that would make it easier to participate in. You might be very busy and unable to write many reviews for Iron Reviewer January, but maybe things will ease up for you around Iron Review March.

Doing it for an entire year seems like it cuts down on participation.
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

We had originally contemplated giving a two-point penalty for correcting non-native speakers but opted against it since so many of you are better than many of us.
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
FrontPinned the thread ninja
Just another Steve
Allen Park
Michigan
mb
I don't think it will be that hard, there's no limit on the number of reviews you can write in a month, just a limit on how many times you can claim the bonus for the theme.

So in January I could write a review each week (4 total). If I reviewed 2 RPGs and 2 items in the theme, I'd be at 8 for the month. if any of those items had never been reviewed, I could store another point each.
NH
Just write one a day, get 20 thumbs on each, do a couple on the theme, and one on an RPG and you'll have 65 points by the end of January!
To try to clarify:
Mark Ban wrote:
Can I enter the "current" (if there is such a thing) Iron reviewer and the 2015 reviewer challenge at the same time with the same review?

There isn't such a thing, and unless somebody steps up to manage it, there won't be. So we'll burn cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote:
What happens if I have several reviews in the same month who would qualify for the same category (adventure)? Do I get multiple points, only the best one... etc.

As stated in the initial post, you may get no more than two bonus points for theme per month (or per theme, which is the same thing.

Quote:
Can you get multiple points for commenting on several reviews?

As stated above, you can get up to one bonus point for commenting on others reviews per month.

However, every review gets the other bonuses (RPG, thumbs, first review).

Quote:
Writing a review about an RPG and accomplishing the them is going to be kinda hard sometimes.

Could be!

Quote:
If I understood the rules correctly, getting 5 points per month is kinda hard. Collecting 65 points will take 13 months, which is kinda long.

Well, if it were easy we couldn't call it a challenge! Iron Reviewer was 52 reviews in the year. I would guess that (so far) I've accumulated nearly 125 points this year by these rules, even without having themes.

One could do it with as few as twelve reviews, I suspect:

12 RPG reviews, bonus points for thumbs, RPG, and first time = 48 points
12 comments = 12 points
Hit the theme 5 times = 5 points

For a total of 65 points.

Certainly not easy, but far from impossible.
Run with me
TB
I'm in - I made a resolution here and there to restart reviewing things. Not to put down anyone but I noticed at times that reviews are sometimes bias (well everyone is bias one way or another but when bias in the sense that there is a certain benefit...you know what I mean) and skews too much toward the good side.

PS: Does it start this month itself? If so, I've done up two reviews already: D&D 5e DMG and T&T 7.5

Just another Steve
Allen Park
Michigan
mb
It started on December 22.

I haven't seen much evidence of "certain benefits" on the RPG side. I know I haven't received any. Bryce is the only one I think gets much in the way of benefits and he seems to be pretty critical of everything.
DMSamuel
Wurtsboro
New York
publisher
RPGMusings.com
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
Actually I don't know what you mean by "benefits" - can you explain what you mean by that?

If you are referring to reviewers getting free copies of books, the vast majority of reviewers on RPGGeek do NOT get complimentary review copies, and when they do, they usually make that clear in the review.

That is the only benefit I can imagine - is there something else you are meaning?
Run with me
TB
lorddillon wrote:

Guys and gals! Don't get me wrong here!! I don't mean folks from this website (well, at least in rpggeek ). Reviews here are thus far very "vicious" and that's what I like cos people looking for advice needs to get accurate information for them to make their decisions

lorddillon wrote:

With Bryce in particular, I believe Bryce has previously stated that he has purchased everything he has reviewed.
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |