United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
I don't know how "involved" I am, but I honestly don't have an opinion. I won't be using them in any way, so I hesitate to cast my vote in a poll that will affect the experience of those who will actually use them.

- higher numbers

Schwartzkopf wrote:
white -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

I think the higher numbers are easier to read. What does everyone else think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

I think the higher numbers are easier to read. What does everyone else think?
Well, when I look at the higher numbers, they look clearer. When I look at the smaller number they look clearer. I know I'm not helping much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 4ish feet away from the screen it was hard to read either the white or black text. When I moved closer it was a bit easier to read the white text.

The main problem with working in such a small space is to get it readable. The best way is a good contrast that doesn't hurt the eyes too much or cause the reader to strain. This of course is different for everyone, so I'm not sure if there is a default answer.

There's also no chance to increase the size of these emoticons to say 1.5x or 2x for these?

However it does look good given the constraints! (Much better than what I could ever think of doing.)

How does it look with different colors than red? What about in some blue, green or purple? Maybe leverage these colors --- soblue / bluetrain, gulp / greentrain, devil / redtrain, purpletrain, blacktrain

Now that I'm looking at some of these emoticons, the trains are 2x wide, so there doesn't seem any reason to me why we couldn't get 2x for dice emoticons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Everway (I think that's the ones) cards are much larger. If I recall there's no real limit on size.

* If we used the 'train' shape, could always just use the dice icon and put the result beside it.

* Another idea I'd mentioned above was using the dice shape & color to signal what dice is being rolled, but make the result larger than the face actually allows. In this case, it would be the hexagonal outline and hint of lines heading inward, and then the result overlaid on it. Just another thought that bypasses the tiny number issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

If we can go bigger overall, that would be great. I wouldn't think we would want to have the result separate from the die image though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more than happy to hand over my die to whoever has tune to work on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

Assuming you're willing to see it through, I think the pace you're going at is fine Daniel! I'm inclined to say that the higher number is good to go, and that we should do the d20 all in red with white numbering.

If no one has any objections, and your willing to pop out the 20 versions of the d20, I'd say go for it. There's no rush, as we must still find other folks do do the rest of the dies, and I'm sure we'll want to submit them all at once.

Let's see what Uncle Dave thinks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
I'm more than happy to hand over my die to whoever has tune to work on it.

What does it look like 2x?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice progress here! I like the white on red. My eyes are getting old - neither the smaller nor taller numbers are all that easy for me to read.

I'm willing to lose a bit of the black line shapes to see the numbers a bit bigger.

Since some of the emoticons are bigger than others, I'm sure we could probably get larger ones in for the d20s and maybe d12s.

Heck, maybe we should just do all dice (including re-dos of the d10s) in some larger size... say 24x24 or 32x32. I'll figure out with Aldie how to get them into a "Dice Emoticons" section that won't clutter the rest.

These should be super useful - we should make them as big as we need to make them look awesome (but not huge).

PS: I'm a fan of single color dice for each die type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm exaggerating here, but two big number dice just in case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
So I'm exaggerating here, but two big number dice just in case

I can read those I like the bigger numbers - it's more about the numbers than the actual die. Sure, we do want the die to look d20-ish but the utility comes from seeing the numbers clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
My old eyes agree!

I think the bottom one, where the number isn't quite as huge, is perfect!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you took the 1 from the top that doesn't have the line and used it on the bottom? Or are these two totally different fonts so it wouldn't work? I think the bottom line of the 1 makes it took a bit odd/off (to me at least).

So, I like the size of the bottom numbers against the dice, but not the bottom line of the number 1.

(Of course, still do what you want, and you're doing fine! This is one man's opinion and everyone will have different thoughts or changes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just kind of wanted to check if this is the direction everyone is feeling. Dice here are 20px scale.
Thoughts, broad sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:

Just kind of wanted to check if this is the direction everyone is feeling. Dice here are 20px scale.
Thoughts, broad sense?

Wow!

I think they look awesome!

Only thought otherwise would be that the d8 doesn't look like a die. Maybe it needs to be at an angle, rather than straight on. Kind of like the original d10s are. d10-7

But yeah, love the big beefy look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

My only comment -- Can we take a bit of the brightness out of the green D10s, the contrast to the white is a bit rough on my eyes at least?

I do like the dice shape with the number "not shrunk to the dice face" look. It's a great out of the box thinking solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback & general positivity!

d8: oh, yeah, I see what you mean. I could 'rotate' and tip it forward by adding an edge-on vertex in the center and dropping the horizontal line to a bit of a V

d10: totes. I'll drop the brightness a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
Thanks for the feedback & general positivity!

d8: oh, yeah, I see what you mean. I could 'rotate' and tip it forward by adding an edge-on vertex in the center and dropping the horizontal line to a bit of a V

d10: totes. I'll drop the brightness a bit.

Thanks for accepting the feedback with grace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
those are sweet! The double digit numbers look a little over powering on the die. Can the 2 digit faces have the number size reduced slightly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

10's are now darker
8's are now more 3D
font on 2-digit numbers is .5 point smaller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
And here it is as a bit bigger image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonna - are you on the inner circle for this sort of thing?

Do you know if this as-is would be what's needed for the site, or if I should go back through with Photoshop and make everything line up side-by-side for an imagemap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
Jonna - are you on the inner circle for this sort of thing?
I'm not, I think Dave is the one who's making the decision on this and then providing the chose images to Aldie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |