On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
We would like have a full selection of emoticons for those beloved polyhedrals.

Currently, only the d10 exists.

We need to add d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20.

The d10 emoticons currently show each die side, 0-9, as a different color.

d10-0 d10-1 d10-2 d10-3 d10-4 d10-5 d10-6 d10-7 d10-8 d10-9

I think this could be problematic if we attempt to do the same for the rest of the set, as that would mean we would need around fifty different colors. But, maybe that's not an issue.

If the d10 was redone to show all in one color, we would only need a total of six different colors to cover the six die sizes. Assuming we follow suit with the rest of the set, of course.

So, maybe all 20 of the d20 sides would be a red die, the d12 sides all in blue, or whatever.

Thoughts?

*Disclaimer: I have no idea how these things are made, but I'm organizing this thread as promised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

That would work and allow us to keep the existing d10 images.

Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd stick with the colors that are there already and just add more. Off the top of my head, you can do a dark blue, purple (as opposed to that pink/,majenta looking one), brown, a darker red/burgandy, brown, tan, darker green, lime green, lighter blue (like the tweet icon), and maybe like a pale/pastel purple like this guy grapecamel - that gets you up to 20 colors for the d20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone in the microbadges design arena post on the my threads to pull that talent in here?

Thanks for organizing this Kyle!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted in the BGG microbadging thread where most of the designers reside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Err, here is my first pass at a d20...be gentle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:

That looks really nice Daniel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:

That looks really nice Daniel!

High five!
Could you slap '15' on there and see how it holds up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
with a 20:

with a 15:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: colors for dice - there's two obvious ways to go. Let's voice preferences before people get too deep into their creations!

Poll
Dice color options:

Each die size has a color (e.g. d4 white, d6 red, d8 blue, d10 yellow, d12 purple, d20 black)

Each value gets a color, like the current d10
Color by die size
Color for each value
      16 answers
Poll created by shawnssica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
with a 20:

with a 15:

The die looks great!

I think we might need to make the numbers stand out more though. Is there a way to make the numbers show up white or another color that stands out more against the red? It looks like the current d10 emoticons all used white, except for the white and yellow versions, which used black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
with a 20:

with a 15:

The die looks great!

I think we might need to make the numbers stand out more though. Is there a way to make the numbers show up white or another color that stands out more against the red? It looks like the current d10 emoticons all used white, except for the white and yellow versions, which used black.

Sure I'll play around with the colors soon(ish).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
old
vs
new

Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tipped By
Mulligans 89.21

Heavy into the eggnog already, Mr. Mulligans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Converse
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I game for a living...I just dont get paid for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
old
vs
new

Better?

Yes better. The lighter color makes the number easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
Quote:
Tipped By
Mulligans 89.21

Heavy into the eggnog already, Mr. Mulligans?

Yes, as it were. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
5sola wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
old
vs
new

Better?

Yep, better for sure. I think the d20 might be the hardest one, so I think we're off to a great start. Maybe, though, make the numbers just a skosh thicker? Or, are they maxed out as is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
5sola wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
old
vs
new

Better?

Yep, better for sure. I think the d20 might be the hardest one, so I think we're off to a great start. Maybe, though, make the numbers just a skosh thicker? Or, are they maxed out as is?
I think the numbers being in a contrasting color would help a lot. How about white numbers instead of black?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
5sola wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
old
vs
new

Better?

I think the numbers being in a contrasting color would help a lot. How about white numbers instead of black?
White numbers would match the 10s on file, and would let you bring the digits right out to the face edge lines. Contrarywise, I wonder about lightening the color further & white face edges with black digits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - chatted with Aldie tonite and got the okay to get these into the system when we are ready! DESIGN ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
Volfield wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
5sola wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
old
vs
new

Better?

White numbers would match the 10s on file, and would let you bring the digits right out to the face edge lines. Contrarywise, I wonder about lightening the color further & white face edges with black digits?

I think just making the numbers white instead of black would probably be sufficient, if Daniel is willing to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
RE: colors for dice - there's two obvious ways to go. Let's voice preferences before people get too deep into their creations!

Poll
Dice color options:

Each die size has a color (e.g. d4 white, d6 red, d8 blue, d10 yellow, d12 purple, d20 black)

Each value gets a color, like the current d10
Color by die size
Color for each value
      16 answers
Poll created by shawnssica

it's a stalemate! 6 votes for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
white -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Vacation, B's
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
white -

I think the white looks much better. The space available on the d20 is so limited, I wonder if making the number thinner, but bigger would make it a bit more legible. It might even have to creep onto the border of the die face.

Forgive me for any silly/difficult suggestions. I'm not a graphic artist and have no idea how this stuff works. laugh

Daniel, what was your opinion on the matter of the pool? Since you're involved in the designing, I feel like your vote should count for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how "involved" I am, but I honestly don't have an opinion. I won't be using them in any way, so I hesitate to cast my vote in a poll that will affect the experience of those who will actually use them.

- higher numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |