Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
363 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Adventurers Wanted in Phandalin (part 1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marn the innkeeper of the Golden Apple was a man of nearly fifty, grey hair with a balding pate. He constantly worn an oil-stained apron over his clothings tied around his rotund body.

He stared at the party of six wannabe adventurers sitting before him at a long table in the common room of his inn. Absent-mindedly, he rubbed his forehead and pinched his nose bridge between his brows.

What have I gotten myself into? Marn thought to himself as he looked at the rag-tag band of adventurers. Be good and run your inn - live, breathe, eat and breathe again. Why do I have to go promise Gundren Rockseeker to find him a band of escorts?

Sighing out loud, Marn slapped both hands against his ample buttocks and decided there and then at the moment to see matters through quickly so that he could get back to running his inn and leading his simple life without complications to stress him.

"Well, and so...you be the few that signed up for this job ain't I right?" Marn baritone voice reveberated loudly in the nearly empty common room.

Marn raised a hand to forestall any reply and continued.

"No need to tell me who you are and your past - keep it as your past." Marn said this with an eye out at the female human who is most definitely a Calishite. Marn remembered his mam always said, 'Never trust a viper but always run away from a Calishite', or was it the other way around?

Marn shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly at his failed memory and instead reached into his apron, retrieved a rolled up parchment tied with a short thin string of hemp and reached over to place it on the table.

"Here, this is for you, courtesy of your would-be employer."



At this moment, one of you reached out to unfurl the scroll and spread it out on the table, visible to all. It's a map of the surrounding area and points out clearly the location of the city Neverwinter and town Phandalin.

Marn rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Simple job - the wagon with the supplies and horse is right at the side road, hitched and ready to go."

Heaving his shoulders as he sucked in a deep breath and placed his hands on his hips.

"Ten gold pieces each once the job's complete at Phandalin, delivered to Barthen's provision."

"Here," Marn pulled out another scroll from his apron's pocket and pushed it across the table. "If you're agreeable to take up this job, sign right here with your name and the deal's sealed."

OOC: Simple start to this adventure. If you have any questions or wishes to role-play something here, feel free to proceed and post. Once you're ready, thumbs up on this post and off we go!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bran looks over the map briefly, he's never been one for minding minute details, but he can tell that the journey will take more than a couple days. And isn't through the easiest of terrains...

Turning on the charm, he looks to Marn "10 gold pieces is a fair starting offer. But given the distance, the destination, and the value of the cargo I saw outside, I'd think 25 gold is even more fair."

mouselim, I'm usually going to assume that there's no roll necessary unless it is painfully obvious (this should probably be against persuasion). If one is needed feel free to make the roll if I haven't within some reasonable amount of time (24 hours since my post??).

Edit: Oops, forgot my roll..shake ...of course, now that I start thinking about it..is it a Persuasion check or Charisma check?? +2 or +6 respectively..I'll roll sans mod and you add whichever.


Some check to see if we can squeeze a little more gold out of our patron. 1d20 = (12) = 12
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 626178. MentalDekay
  • 1d20 =
  • (12) =
  • 12
  • Some check to see if we can squeeze a little more gold out of our patron.
  • Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm
Milo
United States
Arlington
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ford continues looking at the map, while listening to Bran barter with the innkeeper. Thinking to himself, "He's never going to get him to increase the payment. Rockseeker has set the price and we'll have to bargain with him to get more."

OOC:We are in Neverwinter, then?

Studying the map, he asks the innkeeper, "How are the trails into Phandalin? What are the conditions of the High Road?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Varus, looking at the Innkeeper and at the map.

I have to go that way anyway, might as well make some coin while on my way the order will be happy with the extra donation I am able to bring.

I will go for the job, I am needed farther away after we can deliver the goods, but it is along the same path.

Looking at the group Varus is drawn to the halfling, I believe I have seen him before. I have always liked the halflings, they are honest, and this one wasn't quite the talkative type. He minds me of some of the brothers back at the keep.

Melancholy that he is missing his brothers he is still ready for what the road may bring. I am happy the brothers have finally let me go on my own.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zashira squints at the map. Then, when the cleric with the big hammer starts dickering, she leans closer to the halfling next to her and whispers, "How many days would a trip like that take? Is it really 5 days?"

To Marn, "Wait, where's this Rockseeker at? He's not traveling with his stuff?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalDekay wrote:
Bran looks over the map briefly, he's never been one for minding minute details, but he can tell that the journey will take more than a couple days. And isn't through the easiest of terrains...

Turning on the charm, he looks to Marn "10 gold pieces is a fair starting offer. But given the distance, the destination, and the value of the cargo I saw outside, I'd think 25 gold is even more fair."


You're right - it's persuasion.

"Alas mate, ain't my place to go knocking on the price." Marn said to Bran with a shake of his head. "That's been the message given from Gundren and that's how I gave the message."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
buddybu wrote:
Ford continues looking at the map, while listening to Bran barter with the innkeeper. Thinking to himself, "He's never going to get him to increase the payment. Rockseeker has set the price and we'll have to bargain with him to get more."

OOC:We are in Neverwinter, then?

Studying the map, he asks the innkeeper, "How are the trails into Phandalin? What are the conditions of the High Road?"

Turning to Ford at the question, Marn nodded.

"Aye, roads alright on the high road from Neverwinter this time of the year. Occasional bandits and wild beasts but nothing that the lot of you cannot handle. Triboar trail is something else. Be careful there."

Yes, currently the players are in Neverwinter.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:
Zashira squints at the map. Then, when the cleric with the big hammer starts dickering, she leans closer to the halfling next to her and whispers, "How many days would a trip like that take? Is it really 5 days?"

To Marn, "Wait, where's this Rockseeker at? He's not traveling with his stuff?"

Marn sighed out loud again at Zashira's question.

"Always said that Gundren Rockseeker is daft," muttered Marn under his breath. "More rocks than brains between those large ears...trusting his stuff to a bunch of strangers..."

Once again rubbing his forehead, Marn continued out loud.

"Aye, Gundren went ahead with a human friend of his. If I remembered, it was Sildar Winterhall or something. Journey is about four to five days from Neverwinter to Phandalin. They are travelling on horses, doubt you'll be catching up to them."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mouselim wrote:
"Alas mate, ain't my place to go knocking on the price." Marn said to Bran with a shake of his head. "That's been the message given from Gundren and that's how I gave the message."
Bran shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly. "That's understandable, just trying to make sure the church gets its share after expenses.

"Is there any word on what to expect in Phandalin?"



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daryn sits back and examines the group, and chuckles as he thinks to himself:

Interesting group we have here. This should be fun...let's get on with it...

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo
United States
Arlington
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mouselim wrote:


"Aye, roads alright on the high road from Neverwinter this time of the year. Occasional bandits and wild beasts but nothing that the lot of you cannot handle. Triboar trail is something else. Be careful there."

"What have you heard about Triboar Trail? Anything you can tell us would be helpful, even rumors or myths." Ford asks Marn.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalDekay wrote:

Bran shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly. "That's understandable, just trying to make sure the church gets its share after expenses.

"Is there any word on what to expect in Phandalin?"


Marn nodded in acquiesce.

"Phandalin is a small trading town rebuilt by settlers from Neverwinter and Waterdeep that once laid in ruins. It's a frontier settlement mainly home to farmers, woodcutters, traders. Personally I've never been there and these are hearsay from others especially Gundren."


"Pray do tell which church will the coins fill? asked Marn curiously, not being able to discern the deity that Bran follows.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
buddybu wrote:


"What have you heard about Triboar Trail? Anything you can tell us would be helpful, even rumors or myths." Ford asks Marn.

"It's just hearsay but I heard of bandits, undead, demons and of course the ever menace from the goblins and orcs." said Marn seriously then he suddenly burst out laughing, waving his hands before him.

"That's just hearsay! Most probably half of it are concocted by drunks and wannabe heroes!"

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've got six thumbs up. Moving the story along

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mouselim wrote:

Marn nodded in acquiesce.
"Pray do tell which church will the coins fill? asked Marn curiously, not being able to discern the deity that Bran follows.
"I'm a devotee of the fair Morninglord, I feel he has a plan that he'd like me to bring to fruition. Divine inspiration hit me when I saw Gundren's posting on your tavern. To what end is my quest? That's for Lathander to light my way. A town in the midst of rebuilding will surely have elements that need the light, direction and guidance of the goodly divine."

To his would be companions, Bran says, "Well, then. Are we set to start our charge?"

Bookkeeping question...you said "6 thumbs". Does that refer to the first post in this thread, or to the last DM post? I plan on thumbing everything (that I don't post) as I read it to show where I am in knowing the current actions/situation.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo
United States
Arlington
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Thank you for your honesty Marn, but there is always a bit of truth, even in rumors and hearsay. While it is likely inflated a bit, we will still be on the lookout. I, for one, will return to tell you a bit more detail about the trip." Ford replies.

Ford finally looks away from the innkeeper and takes a look at his companions. The others look very rag-tag, but he could sense an underlying formidable presence in several of them.

"I am in. I cannot speak for the others here."
He turns and heads outside to inspect the wagon and animal. As he moves across the room, he double checks his weapons, lifting his sword just a bit from it's sheath and dropping it back, with a light ting, to make sure it is freely drawable.

I also thumb each post to show that I have read it. And I think that Nicholas/mouselim meant the initial posting.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah, the usual sort of stories. Throw in a free lunch and I'll do it. You can charge it to your over-trusting friend next time you see him."

Zashira has no idea of the truth or falsehood of the rumors, but she's surrounded by some pretty tough-looking guys so she's not worried (yet). But she is hungry.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mouselim wrote:
Ok, I've got six thumbs up. Moving the story along


FYI, one of those 6 thumbs was just an observer - I had forgotten to thumb it till I saw this post! You might need to check who actually thumbed in the future.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Varus nods, that he is ready and follows the groups lead.

This should be an interesting job. We have confidence, that is a good sign.

Maybe I can have some contemplation time, that would be good to have on the road.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The party spent the rest of the day readying themselves, checking and rechecking their equipments, rations and supplies, buying what else was needed for their trip.

The following morning, as life in Neverwinter was just stirring awake, six adventurers met at the Golden Apple and woke the sleepy eyed innkeeper who led them to the wagon and hitched the horse, thus commencing their journey to Phandalin.

***********************************************

The following few days were spent on High Road, travelling south from Neverwinter. Though tiring, it was uneventful and the party got to enjoy the sights and sounds on the journey.

On the fourth day, the party left High Road and veered east onto Triboar Trail. The road became narrower and more uneven with numerous ruts and bumps. The party sets off early in hope to reach Phandalin before the day ends. The exhaled breaths from the party steamed in the chilly morning air and the only noticeable sounds are from the party - creaking of the wagon and the heavy panting from the horse.

Here's a map of detailing a section of the Triboar Trail. This will aid in determining the marching order.

State where your character will be:

A - two persons can sit on the wagon with one person driving it.
B - any numbers can walk before the horse and wagon.
C - any numbers can walk along the left side of the wagon/horse.
D - any numbers can walk along the right side of the wagon/horse.
E - any numbers can walk in the rear.



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Need the party to strike out one day of ration each - assuming that they hunted on some occasions.

Just in case for those who didn't purchase rations, just make the purchase and strike out the equivalent gold coins. Otherwise, role-play and ask one of your companions to offer

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bran will take D..he enjoys the exercise of walking.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elvish Monk enjoys the walk and is walking along with the caravan and is in front of the slow moving horses (position B)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zashira will hop into the non-driver spot on the wagon (A), claiming she's not familiar with handling a horse or driving a wagon, and wanting to keep her hands free to use her bow if needed.

Her internal monolog: Surprise attackers would probably try to either pick off the guys in the rear or shoot the people in the wagon first, so I should pick B, C, or D... But I don't want to have to go toe-to-toe with some brute. At least on the wagon I'll be rested and have a wide field of fire.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like no one wants to drive the wagon - I guess the last one to pick the spot will be the driver then
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |