Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
85 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

RPG» Forums » Community » Creative Fodder

Subject: Site-wide Interactive Fiction Adventure - Seeking Writer (or, Yo-ho-ho!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
Ah. Perhaps this is why I haven't seen a certain camel-duck around lately.
Good luck! Whenever it's done, bgg will be happy to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
To anyone wondering what happened to this project, here's what happened, as I understand it. It's possible to figure out who's-who, but I don't name any names because I don't want negativity directed toward anyone.
Since there are (were) pretty much only two "main" admins around RPGG (with Stelio being very very busy with real life), and everyone knows it was me and Dave initially in this project, making this post is as good as naming us, and you know it. You chose to make this public post instead of actually contacting either me or Dave regarding the matter. I cannot help but to feel that this was done in the purpose of blaming one or the both of us.

As for the leadership, one of you could've as easily taken the leadership in this project, nowhere is it said that the leader has to be an admin. The only things you need an admin for, is to hand out the microbadges and get an okay for going live with the event. I've said I can hand out the microbadges, and to get them done. But I absolutely refuse to take the blame for having a real life to attend to, and getting busy with other (non-online) things. I'm a volunteer admin, I do not get paid for any of my work, and I give countless of hours of my free time to do volunteer work for the Geek in general every single week. This project is not the only thing happening around the Geek that needs my attention. On the very contrary. And I refuse to take the blame for this project not being finished. Like I said, anyone could've taken the leadership.

MichMedia wrote:
I write about it here because apparently my honest efforts and appeals have not yet been enough to pilot this ship safely to harbor.
When say your honest efforts and appeals have not yet been enough to pilot this ship safely to harbor, do you mean your appeals to the other person on the team (you said it's a two-person team)? You have not contacted me about this matter for a very long time. IIRC, the last time we talked about this project was more than a year ago, around my break-up. We have not talked after that. I have talked about the project with Dean a little bit every now and then, but you have not contacted me about this. If there's a talk I had about this with you and I've forgotten all about it, I apologise for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
With such a small team, it's hard–if not impossible–to talk about development at all without naming names, which is why I've been very hesitant for any of us (myself most of all) to post here. That said, I feel that people deserve an explanation. My intent wasn't to blame anyone, least of all you, Jonna, whom, for my part, I consider to be a friend. What happened happened for whatever reasons. I do, however, think it's beneficial for anyone who's anticipated this project–myself included–to understand the reasons why it's stalled, and that's all I aimed to do here.

To that end, in a nutshell, our already small team shrank to half its intended size of four. Leadership (or a lack thereof) contributed to the shrink, which (understandably) slowed development considerably. Life does indeed happen, responsibilities, etc., but we are all equally encumbered. For my part, at least, I was (and am still) quite serious in my commitment to this, a site-wide adventure like those in the past. I'm flattered that you think we could have done it without you (plural), but we needed a second veteran (additional to Dean) at minimum to successfully pass the torch, shoring up our ranks as a figurehead, at the very least. Perhaps the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing (this seems most likely to me, and I'm willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt), but the lack of communication about the lack of commitment inadvertently precipitated development limbo, as our eyes were bigger than our collective stomachs at that point.

And yes, that last-ditch plea to you was indeed the last we discussed this project; not hearing back from you on it (as far as I recall, and I'm fairly sure I'd have remembered) is what precipitated this postmortem (of the project; not, I hope, our friendship). I think an outside observer would agree that if anyone should be upset in this situation, it would be those abandoned–effectively, if not intentionally–by the rest of the team. I'm not upset, however, Jonna; saddened, perhaps, but not angry. A more productive choice for me is to channel my sense of abandonment into empathy for anyone in similar circumstances.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Ben Gunn," he answered, and his voice sounded hoarse and awkward, like a rusty lock. "I'm poor Ben Gunn, I am; and I haven't spoke with a Christian these three years."

I could now see that he was a white man like myself and that his features were even pleasing. His skin, wherever it was exposed, was burnt by the sun; even his lips were black, and his fair eyes looked quite startling in so dark a face. Of all the beggar-men that I had seen or fancied, he was the chief for raggedness. He was clothed with tatters of old ship's canvas and old sea-cloth, and this extraordinary patchwork was all held together by a system of the most various and incongruous fastenings, brass buttons, bits of stick, and loops of tarry gaskin. About his waist he wore an old brass-buckled leather belt, which was the one thing solid in his whole accoutrement.

"Three years!" I cried. "Were you shipwrecked?"

"Nay, mate," said he; "marooned."

I had heard the word, and I knew it stood for a horrible kind of punishment common enough among the buccaneers, in which the offender is put ashore with a little powder and shot and left behind on some desolate and distant island.

"Marooned three years agone," he continued, "and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."

"If ever I can get aboard again," said I, "you shall have cheese by the stone."

–Robert Lewis Stevenson, Treasure Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is Paul, that I kept telling you I really don't have the time needed to be part of this project, and I still don't have it. My fault is that regardless of what I kept telling you, I still kept trying to make space in my calendar for this, instead of just telling you that I'm completely out. I always try to do everything for everyone, which is one of the reasons I'm so swamped to begin with. I've also faced some serious changes in my life during the past two years, of some of which you are aware of, some not. Real life does and should always come before online life.

I do not have an obligation toward you, or anyone else in this matter. I do not owe you or anyone else. I am not some kind of project leader or manager who gets paid to do a job and then leaves her team to struggle. I have a right to back away from a project I cannot commit to, as much as anyone else does. Besides, I am absolutely not a veteran in these projects, I've only ever been part of one before this one, so I'm a complete newbie.

Your initial post made it sound like you were making constant pleas while not getting any kind of response. Having contacted me more than a year ago doesn't really match that image, does it? Which is why I pointed that out. People write and publish IFs by themselves all the time outside the Geek, it's not like a project group with full leadeship is mandatorory for an IF to happen. Nevertheless, I repeatedly told you I will do the bits that need Geek admin participation, regardless of not having the time, to help you with what I can, to make the game event happen.

I still refuse to take the blame, and if you choose to feel abandoned or upset, that is your choice. Public posts in order to try to guilt me, shame me, or whatever your purpose really is here, is not going to work.

This is me officially backing 100% out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it sounds like what the project needs the two creators deciding amongst themselves which of them has to make a bunch of decisions and provide direction.

Leadership has nothing to do with being an admin. Admins get to do lots of menial tasks and chores. That's not leadership. If a person is seen as a community leader, then that is independent of admin status if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little ever got done around here without benign dictatorship.

A point of clarification: though I was given some admin site-wide powers, I never really considered myself an Admin of RPG Geek. My unofficial title was Chief Bottle Washer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Debatable issues aside, I think everyone can agree that the project, as envisioned, has not developed according to plan. Perhaps this shouldn't be surprising, given the labor-of-love nature of the work, but thank you for communicating your intentions going forward, Jonna. Thanks, too, for all that you and other admins (and bottle-washers) do around here; I understand how thankless volunteer work can seem at times.

As for my own intentions, I'll still support Dean with whatever he needs, whenever he gets the urge to tinker with this. I may or may not see future activity on this thread, but I do always keep an eye on geekmail and email. Thanks, fellow Geeks for your patience and interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to state that I didn't leave because of an absence of clear structure or planning, though admittedly, that would have probably helped, and might have mitigated any hard feelings.

I left because literally nothing I wrote made it into the game.

The scene I wrote was completely changed, without even a ghost of my original words left behind but that didn't discourage me - it is a collaborative project, after all. After that, I focused on writing the little bits of text to make the different areas come alive. However, even though we were using a spreadsheet for what sections needed work, after writing those pieces I was told those sections had already been put into code, and no more text was going to be added to them. So again, all the time I spent was wasted doing something that would never make it into the game. So then I offered to help code (not entirely altruistic - if I helped I could add those bits into the finished sections), and was turned down. That's when the wind left my sails, so to speak.

At that point I wondered why another writer had been asked for and felt I had made no meaningful contributions to the game.

I'm all for the game being completed someday, and I'd love to play it! But I'm not going to write anything more for it. That ship has sailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, Carrie. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, it wasn't all bad! I did get to work with you and Paul and Jonna - not to mention briefly with Dave!

At the time it was just disheartening to see all the work I did - all the time I spent - amount to basically nothing. Now, I'm pretty much over it. I've moved on to other projects.

I am still excited about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |