Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
631 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

Labyrinth Lord» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Beyond the Barricades PBF Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2014 [+] [View All]
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pendraig wrote:
"Well met" Arturo greets Brynn with a hearty handshake and smiles at Gael. "Arturo Everflame, cleric of Valdyn at your service."

Arturo looks at the barge and shakes his head. "What happened here?"
As Brynn starts to speak, you realise with a sense of horror that this man could give Nali a run for his money in a talking competition. He doesn't have the same eager, quickfire delivery as your Halfling companion, but once he gets going he goes on...and on...and on.

Though Arturo has to listen for quite some time, the edited highlights are quite short: the barge was spotted drifting downriver yesterday morning, and Brynn was one of the group sent out in another boat to retrieve it and bring it alongside the wharf. No-one seems to have any real idea what happened, though all kinds of wild rumours have been invented and are circulating in the warehouse - everything from a dragon on the loose, to a freak lightning strike.

"I can see why Terkild's brought you adventurers in though", he says as he finally comes to a close. "Trade in lumber and furs - well, it's steady work, but ever trader in town has a piece of the action. The silver mine's really what's made Terkild's business, so I can understand why he wants the route re-opened."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ddavros wrote:
Tirnel stares at Gael, with barely concealed (or, perhaps, only a poor attempt at concealed) suspicion. "So, lad. You must be rather... disturbed... at the disappearance of your father, no?"
Gael seems rather in awe of the whole group of you, and to be talking to a real, live elf. But though that appears to be making him nervous, he doesn't seem overly concerned about his missing father.
"Oh no, he'll be back. You know the saga of Thorgeir Ironaxe? He wandered the wilds for a twelvemonth, and returned with untold riches and the head of Ginmir, king of the frost giants, under his arm. And Hrothgar the Red? He battled the dragon Sudreth, was forced to flee into the mountains, but once rested was able to defeat the wyrm and came home in glory!"

The youth is either trying to put a very brave face on things, or has read one too many heroic sagas and genuinely believes everything will work out well in the end. Perhaps a little of both.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:
sapper_D wrote:
Upon reaching the wharf and seeing the moored boats Nali's curiosity gets the better of him and he clambers up onto the burnt out hull (assuming he is able to) and looks about the the charred remains for anything that isn't just ashes.
Nali manages to scramble aboard the boat - an ambition partially fulfilled - and starts searching the hull and ashes. His hands and feet are soon black from the ashes, but it's not a wasted endeavour - in the layer of ash he finds two metal objects, which on closer examination appear to be arrowheads.


Marrath watches Nali while he searches the remains on the boat.
"Arrowheads......."
She appears to be talking to herself.

Which is a specialty of her, btw.....

Then she asks Nali to collect them and bring them to the group for further inspection.

"See Halfling? When you don´t talk too much you seem to be quite useful!"

But she smiles, actually she likes the little nagger.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Alexander Beetle wrote:

Gael seems rather in awe of the whole group of you, and to be talking to a real, live elf. But though that appears to be making him nervous, he doesn't seem overly concerned about his missing father.
"Oh no, he'll be back. You know the saga of Thorgeir Ironaxe? He wandered the wilds for a twelvemonth, and returned with untold riches and the head of Ginmir, king of the frost giants, under his arm. And Hrothgar the Red? He battled the dragon Sudreth, was forced to flee into the mountains, but once rested was able to defeat the wyrm and came home in glory!"

The youth is either trying to put a very brave face on things, or has read one too many heroic sagas and genuinely believes everything will work out well in the end. Perhaps a little of both.

After finishing the conversation with Brynn, Arturo turns to Gael and pats him on the shoulder.
"That's the spirit lad. Doubtless that your father is a brave and honourable man. You do him proud by showing such courage; Valdyn himself would smile upon you. You have all the makings of a warrior born!"

With this, Arturo walks over to the barge to see what Nali and Marrath have discovered.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Archers? We can assume an attack from the banks of the river, or a ship-to-ship attack. Brynn, you seem to be well prepared, are these river-ways subject to attack by hostile forces? Can you identify the origin of these arrowheads?

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
Tirnel looks thoughtful. "Only two arrowheads found? There could have been others that we have not found, but if there were not: two arrows does not suggest a significant fight. If these were used to light the boat aflame, the thieves would likely have secured the cargo before firing these shots. Which, raises the question of why they did at all."

Tirnel will also take a look at the arrowheads when the chance presents itself, looking in particular for any evidence that suggests whether the arrows were aflame before hitting the boat.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nali Tuckborough - Halfling
maho wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:
sapper_D wrote:
Upon reaching the wharf and seeing the moored boats Nali's curiosity gets the better of him and he clambers up onto the burnt out hull (assuming he is able to) and looks about the the charred remains for anything that isn't just ashes.
Nali manages to scramble aboard the boat - an ambition partially fulfilled - and starts searching the hull and ashes. His hands and feet are soon black from the ashes, but it's not a wasted endeavour - in the layer of ash he finds two metal objects, which on closer examination appear to be arrowheads.


Marrath watches Nali while he searches the remains on the boat.
"Arrowheads......."
She appears to be talking to herself.

Which is a specialty of her, btw.....

Then she asks Nali to collect them and bring them to the group for further inspection.

"See Halfling? When you don´t talk too much you seem to be quite useful!"

But she smiles, actually she likes the little nagger.



Nali grins broadly at Marath's remark and hands her the arrowheads.

Oooll gee ugh gan gee gerry goosgul


He mumbles without moving his lips apart, then takes his imaginary key from his pocket and 'unlocks' his mouth and 'unbuttons' his lips.

You'll see I can be very useful!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While the party huddles around the arrowheads that Nali found, Jerwynn walks along the boat at the dock looking for any signs of grappling hooks or other marking that would show if the vessel was boarded or draw to the shore.

Turning to Brynn - Jerwynn asks,

So about four days out from here is the Argent Hills where your mine is?

Jerwynn then leans down to look along the sides and towards to the bottom to see if the barge may have signs of it running aground.

Jerwynn looks at his fellow adventurers, It could have been attacked or burned at any time until it was found floating on this river. If we go by boat we may not see any places well enough to know if that was where it was attacked.

Jerwynn then frowns and looks back to the merchant,

So you knew for a fact that barge was coming back with silver or did it even make it to the mine?

Scowling in thought, Brynn, Gael, when is the last time anyone has heard anything from the workers at the mine?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Closer examination of the two objects found by Nali confirms that they are definitely arrowheads, but neither you nor Brynn can determine their origin – they are a fairly standard shape and design. They have definitely been through a fire, and it seems likely that the rest of the arrows has been burnt away, but you can’t tell whether these were flaming arrows that started the fire in the first place.

Brynn shakes his head when asked about previous attacks. ”I’ve made that run to the mine myself before, and never come across any trouble along the river. If this did happen along the Lucent, it’s something new to me.”

Jerwynn looks along the boat’s hull, and his keen eyes spot something Nali missed when he was rummaging in the ashes. It does indeed look as if the boat may have been grappled to pull it in to shore or alongside another boat – there are a couple of deep scores in the wood that could have been made by grappling hooks, though they have been partly obscured now by the charring of the wood. The outside of the hull shows various bumps and scrapes, but that’s not unusual for one of these cargo barges – the other boat moored up next to it shows similar signs of wear.

Katastrophy9 wrote:
Turning to Brynn - Jerwynn asks,

So about four days out from here is the Argent Hills where your mine is?

Scowling in thought, Brynn, Gael, when is the last time anyone has heard anything from the workers at the mine?
Brynn confirms Jerwynn’s assessment. ”Yes, four days upriver brings you to the mine. Supplies go upriver monthly, and the silver comes back down by return. The miners only come back infrequently – there’s a camp where they live up at the minehead. So last time we heard news was a month back, when the last boat came down – but that’s not unusual…do you think there could be a problem?”

Katastrophy9 wrote:
Jerwynn looks at his fellow adventurers, It could have been attacked or burned at any time until it was found floating on this river. If we go by boat we may not see any places well enough to know if that was where it was attacked.
Terkild has been standing a little way off as you speak to Brynn and Gael, but rejoins the group at this point. ”I see what you mean…well, if you wish to go by land, I can provide those that need them with mounts – and a mule-train of course, to bring back my cargo…I can’t promise anything as fine as that warhorse tethered outside though.”

The longer you stay here, the more questions you seem to be uncovering – no-one can say for sure if the burnt-out boat reached the mine, or came to grief before even reaching its initial destination. But either way, Terkild’s trade route is out of action, he has no silver here where he needs it, and he wants you to solve his problem. You can’t help feeling that the answer to all these questions will be found not here in the warehouse, but upriver or at the mine itself.

So, if and when you’re ready to investigate, what is your plan? By boat, by land, or a mix of both? And are there any final questions or preparations you want to make?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning towards Terkild and Brynn, Thalek asks; "Four days by boat, how long on foot? Of course, Abarra, my warhorse can get me there in swift time, traveling with beasts of burden can be quite arduous. Jerwynn is correct in that we may pick up more clues along the way by foot.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


"I believe it would be wise to use all our options. We should take a boat with us, so if we find anything we can bring it back. Two or three of us on the boat, the other walk along on the shore. This way we can search everything from two differnet perspectives. Oh - I will stay ashore....."

Marrath despises being on vessels of any kind.....

"But we should not drift apart too far, so that we can help each other in case of... imponderables."

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
"Yes, perhaps doing both would be wisest. On the shore, we can spot tracks. On the boat, we present a target that may draw our adversaries out of cover. My dog, Alagos, will prefer not to be cooped up on a boat and I will go where he does." Tirnel fails to mention that this will also spare him the brunt of listening to Nali's inane banter.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After some discussions with Brynn, who has the most practical experience of travel upriver, you get a good feel for the speed of travel and one possible way you might work things.

The barge is drawn upriver by heavy draft horses - they aren't built for speed, but they can keep a steady pace going all day, so end up covering a lot of ground.

Anyone walking would be able to keep pace with the barge, for a while at least, and assuming they were only lightly encumbered, but would need to rest more frequently.
But they could hop aboard the boat for a break, then return to the banks. And some of the heavy luggage could be left on the boat. So if there were say 3 walkers, at any one time 2 could be walking on the riverside and one resting on the boat.

Anyone on horseback would easily keep pace with the barge, and would be able to scout ahead, divert to explore away from the riverbank etc, and still not get left behind.

So if you want a mixture of boat travel, walking, and horseback, that could work. So far, it sounds like Marrath and Tirnel favour walking.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:
After some discussions with Brynn, who has the most practical experience of travel upriver, you get a good feel for the speed of travel and one possible way you might work things.

The barge is drawn upriver by heavy draft horses - they aren't built for speed, but they can keep a steady pace going all day, so end up covering a lot of ground.

Anyone walking would be able to keep pace with the barge, for a while at least, and assuming they were only lightly encumbered, but would need to rest more frequently.
But they could hop aboard the boat for a break, then return to the banks. And some of the heavy luggage could be left on the boat. So if there were say 3 walkers, at any one time 2 could be walking on the riverside and one resting on the boat.

Anyone on horseback would easily keep pace with the barge, and would be able to scout ahead, divert to explore away from the riverbank etc, and still not get left behind.

So if you want a mixture of boat travel, walking, and horseback, that could work. So far, it sounds like Marrath and Tirnel favour walking.



I like the cut of your jib, I've sort of been hoping for an answer like that

Well, it seems we know our method of travel. I shall go by horseback along the banks of the river with Marrath and Star-Gazer. If need be, I can scout ahead for danger. And Nali gets to have his wish of finally being on a boat. Jerwynn and Arturo, the choice is yours.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerwynn smirks at Tirnel and his want to travel with a dog.

I want the land under my feet but we best carry our provisions on the barge - along with the most chatty personages, on the barge.

Jerwynn knows he can woods run if need be to scout areas on the peripheral of the rivers edge for that is likely where signs of their foes will appear.

I will check the edges of the wilds as we move.

Figured to have this crass fellow ramble the edges by the woods as we move on... alas, Arturo?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Arturo coughs and speaks up.

"Perhaps we could consider using the barge as a decoy of sorts. We could disguise ourselves as crewmen while Brynn here takes the wheel. If anyone seeks to rob our vessel then we can surprise them from water and land."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having arrived at a plan, you agree with Brynn and Gael (yes, they are your crew) that you will meet them first thing in the morning to set off upriver. This will give you a full day's travel, and also gives you another evening in The Troll's Head before you set off into the wilds. You meet back at the warehouse the next morning, some of you still nursing hangovers from the night before. Nali makes a very convincing boat-boy sat up at the front with Gael, while Arturo passes himself off as Brynn's other assistant. With the heavy luggage on board, the others are free to roam the banks looking for signs of trouble.

As you travel west along the river, your journey is punctuated by Brynn’s constant chatter – Gael, pleased to have escaped the skipper’s monologue for once, is hunched in the prow of the boat.

“Course, I knew Terkild when he were just a lad. Now, his father, he was the one that founded the business…”

The landscape changes throughout the day, and by afternoon it is clear you are moving to the edge of the occupied and farmed lands, and both sides of the river become wooded, beyond a narrow strip of meadow along the banks.

“This here’s the Wychwood, then tomorrow we go through Castlefields – no fields there though, just more forest – then we start to climb up into the Argent Hills…”

As the terrain becomes wilder, Gael occasionally has to get out of the boat to release the horses and walk them around some obstacle or outcrop, before they can resume pulling the boat; Brynn uses a pole to propel the boat upstream past these obstacles.

“Did I tell you about the time my grandfather saw the Kraken? Two weeks out of port, they were, in the greatest storm he’d ever known…”

As dusk approaches, Brynn moors up by the riverside, still talking away to himself and anyone else that will listen.

“Good hunting in the forests, some say – deer and boars – but not so many go in now, and fewer come out…humans ain’t the only things doing the hunting, neither…”

Gael shakes his head and grins, humouring the older man – he’s plainly heard this all before – as he prepares the boat’s mooring for the night.

“…bears, and wolves too – even down near Esterhaven, I’ve heard.”

The night passes as uneventfully as the day did, apart from the distant sound of what might indeed be wolves hunting in the woods. The following day, you set off westwards again. By mid-morning, the early mist on the river has nearly all been burnt away by the late summer sun.
1custom3{Marrath;Jerwynn;Tirnel} -> ( Marrath) -> ( Marrath) is taking her turn resting onboard the boat, while Tirnel (and Alagos the dog) and Jerwynn scout alongside the river together with Thalek riding Abarra the warhorse.

DM Rolls
Spoiler (click to reveal)
1d6 = (3) = 31d6 = (3) = 3

For Tirnel, Jerwynn and Thalek only
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Up ahead of you, perhaps a hundred yards away, there is a low earth mound near the bank, and some scrubby bushes giving further cover from anyone travelling along the river. But from your position on land, you spot four humanoid figures crouching down behind the bushes. They seem to be focused on the river - they must have seen the boat heading their way, but they don't appear to have spotted you. At least some of them look to be armed with bows.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 595103. Alexander Beetle
  • 1custom3{Marrath;Jerwynn;Tirnel} =
  • ( Marrath) =
  • ( Marrath)
  • Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:19 pm
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
For DM
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Are they wearing armor? Do they have torches or anything else that looks like it could light an arrow quickly? Does Tirnel have a good shot at them from his current position?


Tirnel stops walking, crouches down, and draws his bow. He gives Alagos a gesture to stay put.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ddavros wrote:
For DM
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Are they wearing armor? Do they have torches or anything else that looks like it could light an arrow quickly? Does Tirnel have a good shot at them from his current position?


Tirnel stops walking, crouches down, and draws his bow. He gives Alagos a gesture to stay put.
For Tirnel, Jerwynn and Thalek
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They look to be lightly armoured, but you don't see any torches or the like. They are obscured from the boat, but not from you - you would have an open shot at them, and all of you on shore would have a free surprise round. At least two of the four are archers.

Those who want to attack can go ahead and roll...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For DM

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Am I able to attack while on horseback? I guess I should wait for Jerwynn and Tirnel to attack before I come rushing in.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerwynn - Sylvan Elf - Not quite snarky
For Tirnel and Thalek + DM

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Jerwynn gets his shortbow at the ready, touches Tirnel and using hand gestures pantomines they should shot the archers first. Jerwynn signals he will take the one on the left side.

Jerwynn then looks to Thalek to see if he comprehends that they are going to shot the archers first. Perhaps Thalek can charge in if the archers go down.

Jerwynn nokes and readies an arrow, sighting down it he awaits Tirnel.

I am all for shooting archers first, then go to swords and confront if they go down - otherwise use distance to get another round on the archers.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nali was sitting at the bow of the boat with a fishing line dangling in the water hoping to catch something he could cook for lunch when he noticed unusual activity from the elves travelling on land.

Marath I think something might be happening over there he says pointing to the small group. I wonder what it could be? I hope it's a deer or something. My mother makes the most wonderful venison stew. Oooo, my mouth is watering just thinking about it...

He stows his fishing line, moves to the side of the boat and tries to see what is happening.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
For Jerwynn, Thalek, DM
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Tirnel swears under his breath. It could be an ambush, or it could be completely innocent. Tirnel would have liked to watch a bit longer, to find out whether the humanoids intentions were hostile. But with the halfling clearly pointing at him, his chance at surprise would be gone in an instant.

Tirnel nods to Jerywnn, and shoots an arrow at one of the archers, hoping it was the right thing to do.

If I understand correctly, I'm rolling 1d20+1 because of my DEX bonus.
1d20+1 = (3) + 1 = 4
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 595219. ddavros
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (3) + 1 =
  • 4
  • Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:54 am
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Nali was sitting at the bow of the boat with a fishing line dangling in the water hoping to catch something he could cook for lunch when he noticed unusual activity from the elves travelling on land.

Marath I think something might be happening over there he says pointing to the small group. I wonder what it could be? I hope it's a deer or something. My mother makes the most wonderful venison stew. Oooo, my mouth is watering just thinking about it...

He stows his fishing line, moves to the side of the boat and tries to see what is happening.

Marrath is alarmed. She has a quick look back and forth from the fellow group on land and some dark shapes behind bushes in a distance.
By the behaviour of her companions she knows something is wrong.

"Let me have a closer look."
She takes out her spyglass and sees........

Can I do that? What do I see? Do I have to roll a dice?

But before she recognises what these other guys are up to, she notices Tirnel shooting an aroww already.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael - yes, your attack roll was made correctly.
Aielo - Thalek will be able to charge into the attack, but that will take his full action this round, he won't be able to actually make the attack until next round. But yes, you can attack from horseback.
Marion - no die rolls needed at the moment

I will wait for Thalek and Jerwynn's actions and then narrate the outcome - we can then dispense with the spoiler boxes.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |