Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
631 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

Labyrinth Lord» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Beyond the Barricades PBF Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2014 [+] [View All]
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the In Character thread for “Beyond the Barricades”, a PBF game using the Labyrinth Lord rules set. This thread is for in-game posts by the players & DM only. Anyone else is welcome to follow along, but please don't post here. Out-of-game comments are welcome at the following thread:
[OOC] Beyond the Barricades PBF Game

Players can find their character sheets here:
Character Sheet Geeklist - Beyond the Barricades

Players, please subscribe to this thread, and generally keep this thread to describing the things your characters do or say. If you need to say something out of character, please surround that text with the [ooc] [/ooc] tags. It will render the text grey.
This is an example line of out-of-character text.

Longer OOC talk should be done in the OOC Thread.

So, let the adventure begin!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike many adventures, this one does not begin in a tavern, but in the offices of Terkild Goldeby, the merchant who did admittedly recruit the group of you a day earlier in the somewhat smokier surroundings of The Troll's Head.

Terkild is a solidly built man of middle age, with greying hair and a neatly trimmed beard. His clothes and appearance, as well as his offices in his quayside warehouse complex in Esterhaven, tell of a prosperous man who trades in anything and everything - lumber, furs, salted fish and other goods. The warehouse looks busy, with workers bustling about and a number of his paid guards watching over the place. But Terkild is a troubled man.

As he speaks to you, he gestures out of the window to the quayside below, where alongside one of his cargo riverboats you see what was presumably once a second boat, but is now a burnt-out hulk.

"Just look at that!" he exclaims. "That's what came floating downriver yesterday - no crew, and no cargo! Someone or something out there did this - and I want you to find them, stop them, and get my precious cargo back!"

Over to you!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel
Tirnel stares grimly out the window. "How large was the crew? And how well did you know them? Do you trust them not to have stolen the cargo themselves and staged this to cover the theft?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Arturo Everflame
Arturo leans upon his mace and looks thoughtfully outside at the ruined vessel before questioning Terkild.

"When did you send this vessel forth? What were it's contents? Where was it destined?"


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
Avatar
mb
"Good questions, ...."

Marrath murmurs while slowly walking around in the office.
Then, asking Terklid:

"What´s in it for us, if we agree to risk our lifes to help you?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Has this ever happened before? Is there someone you know who may have a vendetta against you?"

Although Thalek has never thought himself as a mercenary, he knows this may be beneficial to hear out the merchant.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nali Tuckborough - Halfling
Terkild wrote:
"Just look at that!" he exclaims. "That's what came floating downriver yesterday - no crew, and no cargo! Someone or something out there did this - and I want you to find them, stop them, and get my precious cargo back!"

Nali drags a chair over to the window, climbs on top of it and looks out the window to where Terkild is pointing, his eyes widening as he gazes upon the burnt out hull in the river.

Marrath wrote:
"Good questions, ...."

Marrath murmurs while slowly walking around in the office.

He turns to the group with an expectant look upon his.

Ooo, they are good questions, very good questions but the best question is do we get to go in a boat? I've never been in a boat and I've always wanted to go in a boat, because you see there isn't any rivers near Crickhollow, that's where I come from, so there hasn't ever been much call for boats around there but I'd heard of boats but never seen a boat but since I've been in Esterhaven I've seen boats but never been in one. So really my questions is do we get to go in a boat? Hmmm?...I really want to go in a boat...

The words tumble out of his mouth in such a rapid fire way that the others find it hard to understand what their diminutive companion has just said though they get the idea that he's keen to go in a boat.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JERWYNN - Elf - Cranky with a hangover
Jerwynn watches the others ramble about with questions - leaving naught for the merchant to respond. He hopes they are not all talk when they move outside the city, dreading it if they do.

Where?

Jerwynn just needs to know where to start looking as he could tell by the merchant's pitch to hire him and the others last night that he does not know much except that he is poorer than yesterday.

Jerwynn grunts but holds himself back from pushing the extremely chatty Halfling out the window.

If we find your cargo there will be 10 percent more in payment - or we sell it for our gain. You decide.

Jerwynn walks towards the window and stares at the halfling to get him to move.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nali Tuckborough - Halfling
Quote:
Jerwynn walks towards the window and stares at the halfling to get him to move.

Jerwynn, isn't it?...Jerwynn I think there might be something wrong with your eyes...they don't blink. Have you ever gone to see someone about that? Well obviously you've seen someone because your eyes don't blink, and so I'm guessing maybe they don't close at all...do your eyes ever close?
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel
(In elvish) "Watch that you do not cost us this job, brother elf. I tire of sleeping beneath a roof and will not take kindly to one who forces me to remain any longer in this city.

I assume we've been waiting for responses between questions. Otherwise, no way are we getting hired.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terkild listens to your questions and starts responding as you raise them, explaining more about his operation and the arrival of the burnt-out boat.

”Most of my trade goods come from the settled lands around Esterhaven, or not far into the wilds – within a day’s hard ride from here. But silver – well, that comes only from the Argent Hills, three or four days by river barge along the Lucent river.”

“That boat”
– he gestures again at the wreck moored up at the quayside – ”was the monthly cargo boat down from the mine. It would have been carrying silver ingots – they cast the silver into rough ingots up at the minehead, the rest we do down here.”. He rubs a fine silver band circling his upper arm, inscribed with an intricate geometric pattern.

”The crew is three men – a skipper and his mate, and a boat-boy. For the run to the mine, I use my most trusted crew – Jannich, the skipper, has worked for me man and boy. In fact, that’s his son down there”. He points out of the window again, to where a youth of about 14 is working with an older man, shifting crates. ”His father thinks him a dreamer with his head full of idle notions, so I have Gael work with old Brynn instead.”

Terkild explains that this has never happened before – up until now, the river route to the hills has always been safe - and he denies knowing of any enemies or a vendetta against him. From what you have heard of him in the city he seems to have an reputation as an honest trader – well, as honest as any of them – and you don’t know of any rumours circulating about him.

maho wrote:
"What´s in it for us, if we agree to risk our lifes to help you?"
”Well you get straight to the point, don’t you? I could use people with your mind for business!”

Katastrophy9 wrote:
If we find your cargo there will be 10 percent more in payment - or we sell it for our gain. You decide.
”But you ask too much, elf. The cargo of silver is rightfully mine, though admittedly at the moment I have nothing. Let’s say equal shares – if you recover the silver, half of it is yours. And of course, any other valuables you happen across are yours to keep.”

Finally he smiles indulgently at Nali. ”Master Halfling, if a boat trip is what you wish, I’m sure it can be arranged. If you do head upriver, going by boat would be the most straightforward way.” Terkild offers one of his river barges, if you want to make use of it, and two of his men to crew it for you. The barges are drawn upriver by a pair of heavy draft-horses, and use the river current when heading back downstream.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar

Arturo nods. "We will recover as much as we can for you."

Gesturing to the boy working outside. "Very sad that a boy should be orphaned. Valdyn willing will we shall track down the wrong-doer's and find evidence of the boatmen's fate; and, if necessary, see that justice is served."


"Please forgive my friend's...forthrightness. An equal share is more than generous sir."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
"It might be wiser to walk the banks, and search for tracks. But I fear that the small one would never shut up if we did that, so I suppose we must take the boat for the sake of our ears. Before we depart, we should examine the burnt husk. Even the slightest clue could save our lives later on."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Tirnel, let us examine the hull before we venture forth. Do you think it wise that we speak to Gael and Brynn about the situation?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
Tirnel looks somewhat annoyed. "It's pronounced 'Tirnel,' not 'Tirnel.' Sometimes I wonder if your human ears can even hear the difference... But you may address me as Star-Gazer. It will be less distressing to my keen hearing. Yes, yes. We must hope that they know nothing of this, but wisdom suggests that we must question Gael and Brynn as well."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aielo Jimenez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"As you wish, Tirnel"

Thalek gives a hand gesture that-- while it is generally thought of as positive towards humans, may be slightly offensive to Elves.

"Let us venture forth!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerwynn begins to smirk at Nali... then blinks his eyes in rapid succession only to return staring at him as the merchant reaffirms Jerwynn's notion of rightful pay for a job that does not bode well from the beginning.

Wee one, do not wear my ears off with you insistant banter all the way to my death.

Turning back to Tirnel, Stargrazer? So how does an elf graze upon the stars?

Jerwynn smirks again, walks past Tirnel and opens the door to leave the merchant's office.

Satisfied with the merchant's rate for this venture, Jerwynn moves towards the party's next activity as it will get him out of doors - into the open air - and hopefully back into the open wilderness.

Let us go and talk to these Gael and Brynn people and make our way.

I know, I made him more brash than snarky - give him time
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Arturo politely waits for his companions to leave before falling in at the rear of the group.

Ont the way to the dock he speaks with the merchant.

"Worry not sir. It's about time to put an end to this sort of behaviour before whomever is responsible grows bolder."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Tirnel wrote:
It might be wiser to walk the banks, and search for tracks.



Quote:
But I fear that the small one would never shut up if we did that, so I suppose we must take the boat for the sake of our ears.



Jerwynn wrote:
Jerwynn begins to smirk at Nali... then blinks his eyes in rapid succession only to return staring at him ...

Ohh, you've been cured! You can close you're eyes again! That's very lucky for you because it would be very difficult if your eyes never closed. I imagine sleeping would be a bit tricky...


Quote:
Wee one, do not wear my ears off with you insistant banter all the way to my death.

OK Jerwynn I'll try not to wear your ears off... but it would take a lot of talking to wear someone's ears off wouldn't it. How long do you think it would take for the air coming out of my mouth to wear away your ear?

Nali hops down from the chair as the group begins to leave the Terkild's office and follows Jerwynn.

Do you really think you would die before your ears got worn away? I hear elves live for a long time and maybe I would die before that happens. But I promise I won't talk too much but my mother, have I told you about my mother?, she always said I could talk the leg of a table. I did try that once, talking to a table leg but it didn't come off...


His chatter continues as they head out to the wharf.

Someone better tell him to shut up.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
Avatar
mb
"Would you just shut up for a while, Nali...?"

Marrath is already getting tired listening to the Halfling.
She stays behind the group and tries to get Alagos, Star-Gazer´s dog, to walk with her.
"I must think, .....".... she says to the others.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terkild leads the way out to the wharf, where the two boats are moored - the burnt out cargo boat and an undamaged one next to it. Brynn and Gael are working nearby.

Brynn is a short, older man with weather-beaten skin and a long moustache. But the leather armour he wears, and the handaxe at his belt, suggest he's not ready for a quiet life by the fireside just yet. The youth, Gael, puts down the crate he was shifting and stares at you openly as you approach, with a mixture of awe and outright curiosity.

The river boat is a shallow bottomed barge, 60' long and 15' wide, with the main central portion covered by a tented canvas structure to protect the cargo. There is a small open area at the stern, and a part-covered section at the bow for the skipper.

Of the burnt-out barge, all that is left is the scorched hull, and a layer of ashes filling the bottom of the boat.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marath wrote:
Would you just shut up for a while, Nali...?



Oh, yes, sorry...I won't say anymore because I've found that for some reason people get a bit annoyed with me at times - I don't know why because, just like my old uncle Perwold says,...oh yes, sorry, there I go again...

Nali makes the gesture of buttoning his mouth closed then locking it with an imaginary key which he then tucks into the pocket of his waistcoat.

Upon reaching the wharf and seeing the moored boats Nali's curiosity gets the better of him and he clambers up onto the burnt out hull (assuming he is able to) and looks about the the charred remains for anything that isn't just ashes.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Alexander Beetle wrote:
Terkild leads the way out to the wharf, where the two boats are moored - the burnt out cargo boat and an undamaged one next to it. Brynn and Gael are working nearby.

Brynn is a short, older man with weather-beaten skin and a long moustache. But the leather armour he wears, and the handaxe at his belt, suggest he's not ready for a quiet life by the fireside just yet. The youth, Gael, puts down the crate he was shifting and stares at you openly as you approach, with a mixture of awe and outright curiosity.

The river boat is a shallow bottomed barge, 60' long and 15' wide, with the main central portion covered by a tented canvas structure to protect the cargo. There is a small open area at the stern, and a part-covered section at the bow for the skipper.

Of the burnt-out barge, all that is left is the scorched hull, and a layer of ashes filling the bottom of the boat.

"Well met" Arturo greets Brynn with a hearty handshake and smiles at Gael. "Arturo Everflame, cleric of Valdyn at your service."

Arturo looks at the barge and shakes his head. "What happened here?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnel Star-Gazer - Elf
Tirnel stares at Gael, with barely concealed (or, perhaps, only a poor attempt at concealed) suspicion. "So, lad. You must be rather... disturbed... at the disappearance of your father, no?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Upon reaching the wharf and seeing the moored boats Nali's curiosity gets the better of him and he clambers up onto the burnt out hull (assuming he is able to) and looks about the the charred remains for anything that isn't just ashes.
Nali manages to scramble aboard the boat - an ambition partially fulfilled - and starts searching the hull and ashes. His hands and feet are soon black from the ashes, but it's not a wasted endeavour - in the layer of ash he finds two metal objects, which on closer examination appear to be arrowheads.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |