The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing (GLAIR) 2014 Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GLARP [+] GLAIR [+] [View All]
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to announce the GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-Playing) process for 2014. The GLAIR is our "Hall of Fame" here at RPG Geek and has been running since 2010. If you would like to read more, see the /wiki/page/GLAIR.

Our inductees so far are:

Call of Cthulhu
Classic World of Darkness
Dungeons and Dragons
GURPS
Paranoia
Traveller
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

In 2014, we will induct one new member to this illustrious group.

This is my first year being in charge of the GLAIR. I'm riding on the wings of my predecessors Dave Bernazzani, Steve Donohue, and Bruce McGeorge.

Here's the rough schedule and process for the 2014 GLAIR:

August 27-September 3: RPGs & RPG Families were nominated.

September 4-8: Nominees were ranked and arranged in a tournament bracket. Fifteen brave and bold prognosticators entered our predictions contest.

September 9: Voting begins! There will be a 3-day voting period for each round of the tournament, during which the RPGG community can vote for their favorites in head-to-head matchups.

If there happens to be a tie in a matchup, the winner will be the game that was originally seeded higher.

October 10: The championship round will end, and the GLAIR winner will be announced "at" Virtuacon.

And here is a more specific timetable of the tournament itself, broken down round-by-round:

Overview: Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing (GLAIR) 2014 Tournament
Tournament bracket: http://challonge.com/GLAIR
Wildcard round: GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing) Tournament - WILDCARD ROUND - CLOSED
Round 1: GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing) Tournament - ROUND 1 - CLOSED
Round 2: GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing) Tournament - ROUND 2 - CLOSED
Sweet Sixteen: Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing (GLAIR) Tournament - SWEET SIXTEEN - CLOSED
Elite Eight: Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing (GLAIR) Tournament - ELITE EIGHT - CLOSED
CURRENT: Final Four: Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing (GLAIR) Tournament - FINAL FOUR Voting ends midnight CDT between Oct. 3 and Oct. 4.
Championship:

All geek users can vote. (If you haven't already, create a free account!) The winner will be announced during Virtuacon14 (Oct 10-12).

Please use #GLAIR14 on social media!

Discussion thread for those who entered predictions: GLAIR Tournament Predictions Contest Thread
GLAIR (Information on the award and previous inductees 2010-2013)
GLAIR Nominees 2014 (Sep 1-3): QOTD Aug 27: Which games would you like to see nominated for a GLAIR this year?

I hope everyone participates. Be sure to subscribe to this thread. Each time a new tournament voting period begins, I will post the link here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLARP] 2014 GLARP Process
A Sárga Lovag wrote:
Being new to RPGG I'm surprised, intrigued and curious. goo
Let the voting start. laugh

I'm excited too. This is the first year we are picking GLARP via a tournament. A couple months back, I ran a Best of the RPGs tournament just for fun and we had a blast.

Nominations begin tomorrow morning, Eastern Time. I will post the link to the nomination thread here once it is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLARP] 2014 GLARP Process
CPiz wrote:
I wanted to announce the GLARP (Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing) process for 2014. The GLARP is our "Hall of Fame" here at RPG Geek and has been running since 2010. If you would like to read more, see the GLARP Wiki.

I almost skipped this announcement because I didn't remember what GLARP stands for (shame on me), and I assumed it was something related to LARP, as in Live Action Role-Playing (that I don't care much for). Maybe editing the thread title in [GLARP – Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing] 2014 GLARP Process? Too much of a mouthful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLARP] 2014 GLARP (Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing) Process
Paolo Robino wrote:
CPiz wrote:
I wanted to announce the GLARP (Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing) process for 2014. The GLARP is our "Hall of Fame" here at RPG Geek and has been running since 2010. If you would like to read more, see the GLARP Wiki.

I almost skipped this announcement because I didn't remember what GLARP stands for (shame on me), and I assumed it was something related to LARP, as in Live Action Role-Playing (that I don't care much for). Maybe editing the thread title in [GLARP – Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing] 2014 GLARP Process? Too much of a mouthful?

Done and done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The nomination thread is up! Go, go, go and nominate!:

QOTD Aug 27: Which games would you like to see nominated for a GLAIR this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I also almost didn't bother with this. GLARP is, no offense to anyone, a poor acronym. It really does suggest a LARP, which I have no interest in.

Maybe GLARA would be better? (Geek Lifetime Achievement Roleplaying Award)

Or even GRPLA? (Geek Role Playing Lifetime Achievement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
I have to admit I also almost didn't bother with this. GLARP is, no offense to anyone, a poor acronym. It really does suggest a LARP, which I have no interest in.

Maybe GLARA would be better? (Geek Lifetime Achievement Roleplaying Award)

Or even GRPLA? (Geek Role Playing Lifetime Achievement)

GAH!!! Now's not the time to change the name of the award. We're in the midst of nominations, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
CPiz wrote:
GAH!!! Now's not the time to change the name of the award. We're in the midst of nominations, man!

??? If you and others involved behind the scenes don't want to change the name of the award, that's one thing. Just say so.

But I don't understand what the timing has to do with it. I think it's the perfect time to change the name of the award, unless you've already got things physically printed up with the old acronym...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
CPiz wrote:

??? If you and others involved behind the scenes don't want to change the name of the award, that's one thing. Just say so.

But I don't understand what the timing has to do with it. I think it's the perfect time to change the name of the award, unless you've already got things physically printed up with the old acronym...

To be honest, I just took over GLARP this year, so I don't know quite what to do with a request to change the name when I'm doing my best just to run the tournament, which is quite a bit of work in of itself, and so I was trying to use a bit of humor and quirky emoticons to convey that.

Changing the name would involving fielding varying opinions, conferring on which is the best new name, possibly voting on it, then changing the name in all the active threads and the GLARP wiki. And doing this when we are in the throes of beginning this year's GLARP contest seems a bit overwhelming to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks, that clarifies it for me. I didn't realize it was widely posted.

Just ask Dave, though - he hates slow decisions. He'll make a snap decision just like that!

But I really do think GLARP is a bad name, sorry. Especially if you want it known outside RPGGeek - I'm pretty sure most roleplayers will assume it has something to do with LARPing. And I'm pretty sure most of those will simply ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

But I really do think GLARP is a bad name, sorry. Especially if you want it known outside RPGGeek - I'm pretty sure most roleplayers will assume it has something to do with LARPing. And I'm pretty sure most of those will simply ignore it.

Maybe GLA(RP) or GLA-RP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with the name several years ago when we got the ball rolling and I do think it has some confusion with LARPing.

I kinda got used to the name - and never really thought much about it. If we were to change it, it probably should have been before we started here (though we are still very near the start so... maybe) or for next year.

My suggestion would be

GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Roleplaying)

Then when we make an awesome logo for the winner we can have it be a standard dungeon motif with "... Has Entered the Lair!" or similar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not change it now? I mean, it just started and this will give people familiar with GLARP time to adjust to the new name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Why not change it now? I mean, it just started and this will give people familiar with GLARP time to adjust to the new name

The decision is CPs. I'm happy to switch it now - we would change the name of this thread, correct the wiki and move forward.

For a few posts, we would simply say (formally known as the GLARP) or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

The decision is CPs. I'm happy to switch it now - we would change the name of this thread, correct the wiki and move forward.

For a few posts, we would simply say (formally known as the GLARP) or similar.

I'm happy to change the name in the thread, if someone else will change the wiki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

GLAIR

which is redirected to from the old wiki GLARP so older links will still work.

Carry on!

Oh, and if Jonna has a few minutes today, can she post up a thread in the creative forum area to source some art designs for a small logo for the GLAIR? Something like a dragon sitting on piles of RPG books would be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLAIR] 2014 GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing) Process
wavemotion wrote:
Done.

GLAIR

which is redirected to from the old wiki GLARP so older links will still work.

Carry on!

Oh, and if Jonna has a few minutes today, can she post up a thread in the creative forum area to source some art designs for a small logo for the GLAIR? Something like a dragon sitting on piles of RPG books would be nice

In a PbV game currently, but will post right after it's done

Edit: How small is small? Bigger than our corner logo, or about the same size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, bigger than our corner logo... it can be a banner (500px tends to look nice and won't auto-shrink when we post it in a forum) or more boxy... just not larger than 500 pixels wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thanks for the acronym change!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

Now it's a trope-y Dungeon Lair theme which is probably only slightly more palatable to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
sos1 wrote:

Now it's a trope-y Dungeon Lair theme which is probably only slightly more palatable to you

Oh, I don't think of dungeons at all. Fox lairs, badger lairs, cougar lairs, wolverine lairs - bunnies gotta think hard now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Yes, bigger than our corner logo... it can be a banner (500px tends to look nice and won't auto-shrink when we post it in a forum) or more boxy... just not larger than 500 pixels wide.

Posted:

Logo for GLAIR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The nominations are in! I am going to get them into the tournament bracket and then I'll post the link to the bracket (I use an off-site, free website for viewing the bracket. You don't need to have an account there to view the bracket.)

Then I will ask if anyone wants to make predictions for a GG prize that I will supply, based on GG I have now and any tips I get during the voting.

Then I will post the polls for the first round of voting. All voting will be done via polls arranged in a Geeklist. Each round's voting will last 3 days, perhaps less if we come down to the wire for Virtucon.

I will post a link to each round's voting Geeklist here, so be sure to stay subscribed; this is a very important thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLAIR] 2014 GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing) Process
We had a whopping 70 nominees! That means the Top 58 automatically advance to the 2nd round, and the Bottom 12 must duke it out in the 1st round to see who will advance.

The nominees were ranked thusly: The 10 RPGs grandfathered from last year's GLAIR got the top 10 spots in order of the number of votes they received. The remaining RPGs/families were ranked in order of RPGG ranking. If an RPG/family has more than one edition, it was ranked based on the highest ranking an edition received, regardless of whether that edition published on/before or after the 2004 cutoff. The reason for this is that, while an RPG/family must have had its 1st edition published in or before 2004 to qualify, once the voting starts, folks will be likely thinking of the RPG family as a whole when they are voting.

You can view the tournament bracket at the link below (You do not need a challonge account to VIEW the bracket):

http://challonge.com/GLAIR

But enough about rankings. Let's talk predictions! I have 60 GeekGold and it's burning a hole in my pocket. For those of you brave enough to make predictions, I offer the following rewards to the Top 3 prognosticators:

1st Place: 30bag + whatever I am tipped on the GLAIR threads/Geeklists
2nd Place: 20bag
3rd Place: 10bag

If you would like to make predictions, click on the link above. Then, on the tournament page, click the green button that reads "Create a Prediction". To make predictions, you DO need to create a free Challonge account. Please use the same handle as you do on RPGG so I can identify you. Follow the instructions and then click the blue "Save Current Progress" button at the bottom and you're done!

If you want to make predictions, do so by Midnight, Sunday, Sep. 7, Geek Time! After that, I will be starting the 1st Round of the tournament and you no longer will be able to make predictions.

For those of you who don't want to make predictions, have no worries because you can still vote in the tournament; everyone in the RPGG community can! I did an unofficial Best of the RPGS Tournament a few months ago, and everyone had a blast. Even some big-time game designers got involved.

So, those of you who want to, get your predictions in, and I'll meet EVERYONE back on this thread Sunday/Monday when I post the link to the GeekList for the 1st Round of voting in the GLAIR Tournament!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [GLAIR] 2014 GLAIR (Geek Lifetime Achievement In Role-playing) Process
CPiz wrote:
If you would like to make predictions, click on the link above.
That was difficult!

Not the site. The site is very easy to use indeed. No, the problem was in making the choices. Down to the final 8 it became really hard. The final four was worse. Then two! And then a winner?! *phew* Not an easy decision at any of the final stages.

Roll on the voting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.