Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
D&D Essentials Kit
Autumn Slipstream
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
LOAD ""
Kids on Bikes
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Ironsworn
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Magical Kitties Save the Day
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Highfell
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Dinky Dungeons
Drowning and Falling
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
The North Sea Epilogues
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Beyond Bightwater
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
Ubersreik Adventures: The Mad Men of Gotheim
Tatters of the King
De Profundis
Wushu Open
Big Rubble
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Quiet Year
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Star Sector Atlas 04: The Galactic People's Republic
Tales from the Loop
English Eerie
Black Void
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition Core Book
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Philohuman BBQ
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Courts of Stone
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Modern AGE Companion
No Future
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
191 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: [Discussion Thread] The Tavern's Tales - RPG Geek's Short Story Contest 2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Welcome to the 2nd edition of RPG Geek's short story contest...

The Tavern's Tales - Legends of the Games 2014

For this new iteration of our short story contest, we at the Tavern would love to see an avalanche of talents who will overwhelm us with original tales about their favorite roleplaying game.

Your story should definitely revolve around an existing RPG that you would like to write about, perhaps to make us discover it better or to give us some new insight on its setting.

And like last year, this contest isn't just an RPG fan-fiction writing, but also a means for game designers to write some fiction on the games they created.

This is also why this year, we'll add a subcategory for submissions falling into O.L.I.V.E. Project fiction writing.

Here are the threads and the Geeklist for the Tavern's Tales 2013 in case you'd like to see how things went last year.

mb [Discussion Thread] RPGG Short Story Contest 2013: The Tavern's Tales
mb RPGG Short Story Contest 2013 - Participants
mb [Voting CLOSED] RPGG Short Story Contest 2013: The Tavern's Tales
mb [Results] RPGG Short Story Contest 2013: The Tavern's Tales

The Rules

d10-1 Each submission should range between 250 (1 page on MS Word) and 3,000 words (12 pages on MS Word) and must be submitted in .pdf format only.

Submission period ends on September 8th, 2014 at 23:00 GMT.

If you have some difficulties converting your file to .pdf, please post in the discussion thread and we'll be glad to help you with this issue.

d10-2 Only one submission will be accepted per participant.

Only original pieces of fiction are allowed. They shouldn't have been submitted or posted anywhere else prior to this contest.

Although using actual play as grounds for the writer's creativity can be a good source of inspiration, please keep in mind that this contest is not a session report.

d10-3 Participant may pick up only one RPG - without any restriction as long as it has an entry into our database - and write a tale that will make the reader discover this game, learn more about it, or consider it through a different perspective.

Furthermore, if the game you've selected isn't under any Creative Commons or OGL licenses, please make sure you obtain some form of authorization from the licensers or at least to not infringe any copyrights.

Each short story is the entire property of its writer and/or of the licensors in case of a fan-fiction written within an already pre-established a published setting. Neither BoardGameGeek, LLC nor I can claim any rights to any of the submitted pieces of fiction.

d10-4 All submissions will have to be written in English, but this shouldn't prevent any non-native English speakers from applying as this contest is also a very good opportunity for RPG Geek's international community to show their language skills off!

d10-5 Title Page must only contain:

Submitter’s name and/or Geek Username
Short Story Title
RPG Geek's Short Story Contest 2014
The mention "This short story is a fiction set in the world of [insert name of RPG]."
Any artwork you wish – this is optional and shouldn't be taken into account in the votes.

d10-6 This contest is open to any BGG/RPGG/VGG members without any restriction of age, though it has to be related to an RPG/RPG Item/RPG Setting/RPG System entry.

However, BGG Employees and I are all ineligible to win prizes.

d10-7 If you consider that your text contains mature themes, scenes and language, please add a [MATURE] tag at the beginning of your title.

Furthermore, the participants are asked to use their common sense in the depiction of scenes that could be considered shocking or offensive. RPG Geek and BoardGameGeek, LLC shall in no way be held responsible for the content of the submissions.

d10-8 Each participant can choose the optional rule of rolling 3 times on the word table below to get some cues to their text. This shall in no way influence the final result of the contest. [Please refer to the table below.]

Alternatively, you may also draw some inspiration from this well-thought idea randomizer website: Short Story Ideas

Prizes

Firstly, RPG Geek will proudly offer our top 3 winners a Gift Certificate for DriveThruRPG so that you can fulfill your wildest RPG wishes.

They'll be awarded to our 3 best writers as follows:

d10-1 a $50 DriveThru RPG Gift Certificate
d10-2 a $30 DriveThru RPG Gift Certificate
d10-3 a $20 DriveThru RPG Gift Certificate

Any tipped on this thread will be allocated to our 3 best writers in the following manner:

d10-1 40%
d10-2 35%
d10-3 25%

Moreover, each participant will be rewarded with this nice microbadge mb.

Voting

Voting will commence shortly after Submissions close. Voting will close on September 22nd, 2014 at 23:00 GMT. Each RPG member will have the opportunity to cast a vote for their top three submissions.

Submissions

Please email your submissions to shadow_hexagram (at) hotmail (dot) fr. Any submissions that violate the aforementioned rules will be rejected. I will also confirm receipt of the file by geekmail.

Please GM me if you do not receive a confirmation within 12 hours. If you submit near the deadline, please geekmail me as well to ensure your submission makes the voting package.

I'm very excited to see how many talents will turn out in this contest and I'm definitely looking forward to reading you all.

The O.L.I.V.E. Project

Some of you may be aware that RPG Geek has been pooling in its best talents to design its own roleplaying game.

So this year, the Tavern's Tales is adding a sub category to the voting process.

All submissions falling in O.L.I.V.E. Project category will enter two categories:

The Tavern's Tales contest, like any other submission

The O.L.I.V.E. Project short story contest, in which the winner will see her or his piece of fiction published in the game.

For more information on the O.L.I.V.E. Project, please follow this guild:

Project O.L.I.V.E.

++ -------------- ++

adularia25 wrote:
People interested in writing for Project O.L.I.V.E.
Hello! We are thrilled you have chosen to write for our game!

If we like what you write, it will be appearing in the game book! With your name in the credits!

And we have created several things to help aspiring writers get inspired!

To find out more about the world of Naul, the city of Raskalar and all our wonderful species, look here:
Project O.L.I.V.E. Core Book - Tavern Tales Contest Release

++ -------------- ++

This year, we've also added a subcategory for Best non-native English speaking writer writing in English.

More about this real soon!

List of Words

You may roll 1d100 three times with the dice roller to randomly be assigned three key-words to use in your short story.

Roll
Word
Controlling
Mend
Counter
Faint
Sabotage
Waiting
Chase
Surrounding
Defensive
Hiding
Squeeze
Insight
Over
Forever
Dream
Leading
Sighting
Anomaly
Merit
Killing
Portraying
Conception
Laugh
Military
Prescription
Roll
Word
Beam
Promise
Trend
Content
Lay
Closer
Column
Natural
Scroll
Being
Precaution
Tacking
Functional
Steal
Abolition
Alliance
Entertainment
Liberty
Collection
Ribbon
Storing
Pretending
Arrest
Perspective
Inner
Roll
Word
Trial
Impression
Urging
Stone
Comprising
Test
Criticism
Cramp
Doom
Accent
Stranger
Firm
Steam
Vanish
Delirious
Pin
Momentum
Lover
Judgment
Slip
Century
Innovation
Nuisance
Stroke
Pet
Roll
Word
Hieroglyphic
Solstice
Polygon
Labyrinth
Deduction
Mosaic
Accentuate
Ellipse
Virtuoso
Symbiosis
Fallacy
Tempo
Chronology
Plateau
Nebula
Mutation
Aspire
Guru
Introspection
Quarantine
Eclectic
Tumult
Stereotype
Hypocrisy
Renaissance

So far, we've received tips from:

agduncan, belirahc, Bifford, FNH1, intrepideddie, jasri, karlkrlarsson, Kezle, Marqos, Munkwunk, Phasmtis, Red Wine Pie, schizoid, sdonohue, shawnssica, Stone Dwarf, sos1, sxmpxr, taen, ThatFedoraGuy, USP45, wavemotion, Wired_Wolf, XendoBreckett,

Thank you very much everyone!

I created a geeklist to list up all the participants to this contest in which I'll add links to their submissions.

The Tavern's Tales - RPG Geek's Short Story Contest 2014 - Participants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Re: [Discussion Thread] RPGG Short Story Contest 2014
Please, feel free to ask any questions on the rules.

Basically, they're the same as last year, except for a few minor exceptions, so if you see anything that needs changing, please tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be time for another tale of the Shikishima Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
FNH1 wrote:

Oh yeah! Last year your submission was excellent.

By the way, on Twitter our dear fellow Geek,

(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

has proposed to add another sub-category: a special prize for non-native English speaking participant.

What do you think of this idea?

Should we implement it? And if so, should we redistribute the prize pool differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll write about Antlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tipped 25gg as this is Olive the Owlbears' contribution to get me my '14 supporters badge and I'm passing on the love.

I may also write something, though I'm not sure what for yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Thanks a lot Sam, and you've been properly credited for this.

Looking forward to your submission as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
FNH1 wrote:

Oh yeah! Last year your submission was excellent.

By the way, on Twitter our dear fellow Geek,

(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

has proposed to add another sub-category: a special prize for non-native English speaking participant.

What do you think of this idea?

Should we implement it? And if so, should we redistribute the prize pool differently?

It is a good idea, but it might also mean that non-english participants won't be considered fairly in the "real" compeition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best is still best. Therefore, I am all in favor of the side-prize for non-native English writers, but to avoid any question, why not have them state that they are non-native to Yohann only. Therefore, we can judge them fairly, and the Best story written by a non-native still wins the prize? If after the contest is finished, there was a reveal that the best three in the entire contest weren't native speakers, I would be tremendously thrilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, Project O.L.I.V.E., GAME ON!

3D100 = (65 + 70 + 22) = 157
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571311. XendoBreckett
  • 3D100 =
  • (65 + 70 + 22) =
  • Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Threw a few coppers in the kettle!
d10-2 Whispers: write for OLIVE, write for OLIVE
d10-3 In case I get a chance to play too 1d100 + 1d100 + 1d100 = (94) + (57) + (9) = 160 Introspection, Criticism, Defensive (Oh wow.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571331. shawnssica
  • 1d100 + 1d100 + 1d100 =
  • (94) + (57) + (9) =
  • Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:34 pm
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Therefore, I am all in favor of the side-prize for non-native English writers, but to avoid any question, why not have them state that they are non-native to Yohann only.

I don't understand how this is going to work. The voters will see the names of the participants - it's written on the cover page. Everybody on RPGG knows more or less who lives in which country and who speaks which language, so there cannot be a secret made out of this.

IMHO, the purpose of this prize should not be awarding high scores, but attracting international people to participate, even if they feel that they might be handicapped in some way. What I suggest is following: we have one voting as before, the prizes go to the first three places as before, but we also have a special prize on the side for the highest ranking non-native speaker. If whoever gets to place 1 is a non-native, he gets both the 1st place prize and the "international" prize. If the first 16 places in the voting are taken by native Anglophones, than place 17 gets the "international" prize.

This procedure will make things simple, and Yohann would be doing the vote counting exactly as it would be done otherwise. So, less work for Yohann, no changes in the rules etc. This prize does not intervene with the main voting at all. As for the prize itself, I'd like to participate in it personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool.

So my question is what about systems that are really open, like Fate, that don't have an inherent setting. Can we write about a setting we've created for the system? Or do we need to pick a system that has a built-in setting?

Also, how do we represent such an open system in the story? I mean, it's supposed to be set in the world of the RPG, right? Or should we do something like Knights of the Dinner Table where it's people sitting around playing the game so we cans how the system and the world?

Just want to make sure I understand what is expected here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SilvaShado wrote:

So my question is what about systems that are really open, like Fate, that don't have an inherent setting. Can we write about a setting we've created for the system? Or do we need to pick a system that has a built-in setting?

If I understand it right, the connection between the RPG and the story can be as vague as you wish. If GURPS inspires you to write a story about psychedelic ponies, it's okay, even if you never payed such game in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I was looking through last years contest threads, and was unable to find anything to indicate who the winners were...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:

If I understand it right, the connection between the RPG and the story can be as vague as you wish. If GURPS inspires you to write a story about psychedelic ponies, it's okay, even if you never payed such game in reality.

Thanks!! I have some ideas forming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As Gygax intended.
badge
“It is a trivial grammar-school text, but yet worthy a wise man’s consideration. Question was asked of Demosthenes, what was the chief part of an orator? he answered, action; what next? action; what next again? action.”
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
If GURPS inspires you to write a story about psychedelic ponies, it's okay, even if you never payed such game in reality.

[Balls up half-finished submission.] Great, there's that idea shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mulligans wrote:

I was looking through last years contest threads, and was unable to find anything to indicate who the winners were...

Here: [Results] RPGG Short Story Contest 2013: The Tavern's Tales - Legends of the Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:
Therefore, I am all in favor of the side-prize for non-native English writers, but to avoid any question, why not have them state that they are non-native to Yohann only.

I don't understand how this is going to work. The voters will see the names of the participants - it's written on the cover page. Everybody on RPGG knows more or less who lives in which country and who speaks which language, so there cannot be a secret made out of this.

IMHO, the purpose of this prize should not be awarding high scores, but attracting international people to participate, even if they feel that they might be handicapped in some way. What I suggest is following: we have one voting as before, the prizes go to the first three places as before, but we also have a special prize on the side for the highest ranking non-native speaker. If whoever gets to place 1 is a non-native, he gets both the 1st place prize and the "international" prize. If the first 16 places in the voting are taken by native Anglophones, than place 17 gets the "international" prize.

This procedure will make things simple, and Yohann would be doing the vote counting exactly as it would be done otherwise. So, less work for Yohann, no changes in the rules etc. This prize does not intervene with the main voting at all. As for the prize itself, I'd like to participate in it personally.

You just described exactly what I was trying to get at. Thanks for explaining it better than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
XendoBreckett wrote:

You just described exactly what I was trying to get at. Thanks for explaining it better than I did.

Oops, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:

Oops, sorry.

No, my apologies. It felt a bit awkward coming from my side of things, as I am a native-English speaker. I hope what I said didn't offend anyone. I just really do like the idea, and don't want anyone to be penalized for not speaking English as fluently as they'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Thanks everyone for your very valuable input, you're making this contest even more amazing than it already is.

So, please, let me sum this up:

1 Every contestant gets their fair chance at the regular contest.

2 The Project O.L.I.V.E. entries also fall into the Project O.L.I.V.E. subcategory.

3 Any non-native English speaker is eligible to win the Special Non-Native English Fiction Prize.

Which means that the same fiction could potentially win the three prizes.

That could make things VERY interesting indeed!

By the way, concerning who's a non-native English speaker, when we've all taken a final decision, I'll add a line to the rules regarding this subcategory and asking the participants to signal me whether they're non-native speaker.

I think I know many of you already to guess what your mother's tongue is, but one can never be too sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, Yohann, now I just have to forget everything I know about English, so I can gain that third prize. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Since when wallaboo speak English?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.