Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I participate in general chat threads on BGG and VGG, but saw that RPGG didn't have one. So I was encouraged to get one going here.

Please feel free to talk about anything you feel like, sans anything that belongs in RSP. Let us know how life is going, or anything you're looking forward to. Or maybe you need some advice on something.

Again, talk about what ever you like, just be courteous and kind please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wobble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get my players to agree to a "Play or Pass" scheme for RPGs. There are a lot of games on my shelves, some of which we've never played. I'd like to just run down the list and try them all.

My idea is to start in the top left corner of the left-most shelf and play the games as we find core rulebooks. If it's a game we've played before we can play it next session or skip it. If we haven't played it before, we can't skip it. At the end of each session, we vote to either keep playing the current game or move on to the next one.

So far, I'm not getting much traction. Anyone have any suggestions to sweeten the pot? Big objection so far seems to be learning new rules and making new characters frequently. I'm really not interested in adding to my workload by making pre-gens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol. Gonna be funny if this turns into another word association thread.

Well, I'm looking forward to Saturday because it's the first Saturday in a very long time that I don't have anything planned. So I'm looking forward to just relaxing and hopefully playing some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I'm trying to get my players to agree to a "Play or Pass" scheme for RPGs. There are a lot of games on my shelves, some of which we've never played. I'd like to just run down the list and try them all.

My idea is to start in the top left corner of the left-most shelf and play the games as we find core rulebooks. If it's a game we've played before we can play it next session or skip it. If we haven't played it before, we can't skip it. At the end of each session, we vote to either keep playing the current game or move on to the next one.

So far, I'm not getting much traction. Anyone have any suggestions to sweeten the pot? Big objection so far seems to be learning new rules and making new characters frequently. I'm really not interested in adding to my workload by making pre-gens.

That is a tough one because I'd have the same complaint. Learning the rules and making characters for a system that I might only play once. Maybe you could focus on the ones that have introductory adventures and premade characters already to go? I don't know how many systems do that though. I haven't played that many different ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Steve already put paid to that idea, Sarah.

I think there's still a bit of shock at the loss of one of our own recently, so folks are a bit more quiet than usual.

I'm excited about the latest news from Green Ronin about the Dragon Age line. A limited print run of Set 3, then a big tome that compiles all the rules and errata into one book (finally)!

Now, just to get my group getting together regularly.

Dealing with a few other things here, such as our oldest moving out of the house in a month for college, I'm looking at finally graduating with my associates (finally) next summer.

The progress on Project Olive is going well, proud of the group we've got going. The loss of Steven is a blow, though... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:

To me, the best part of a roleplaying game is character generation. I have made a character for every dead tree rpg I own, and to some of the pdf ones, too. I will make a character for each one.

Character generation forms a sort of microcosmos of the game in question. It tells a lot about the system, the world, and the tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason - yeah, the timing of starting this up is not very good. I'm not quite functional now. Hard to focus on things, but trying. That's all I can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
So far, I'm not getting much traction.

Add me to your gaming group, I'd certainly agree to Play or Pass.
Cost of plane tickets could get annoyingly high though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Any advice for a roller chair matt for hard floors?

Also looking for advice on wiring up a desk that's in the middle of the room (power, coax, etc.)

Maybe the two are related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
Also looking for advice on wiring up a desk that's in the middle of the room (power, coax, etc.)

What's the ceiling? A drop ceiling can easily accomodate this and drop a tube from above to contain the wiring. If not, there is, um square tubing (no idea what it is called) that you can run along a ceiling.

Other option, of course, is to drill through the floor depending on what is below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
drop a tube from above to contain the wiring.

The desk is not so far from a wall that the last resort of just running open cables and wires to the desk would be any less esthetically pleasing than a drop from the ceiling. It's a good thought though and not one that had occured to me.

manyslayer wrote:
Other option, of course, is to drill through the floor depending on what is below.

Concrete slab below hard-wood I'd guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most famous brand of square tubing is made by wiremold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking in: yay, we have a general chat in the Tavern
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah, let me raise a flagon for the creation of this thread... not that I need any more posts over on the RPGG side of things compared to BGG... but yes! Another general discussion - I can always use one of these!

The timing is, perhaps, exactly what is needed. I know I keep throwing myself into things so I don't focus on the loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's that, focus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
It always feels awful to lose friends, even if they were "only" online friends. I still sometimes catch myself being sad over the loss of Jood in March 2013. And Steve really left a big hole, he was such a nice and positive guy.

I'm sure that talking about it will help everyone heal faster. And like so many have already said: he's no longer in any kind of pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, wanna hear something funny and silly:

Leonie is sitting right next to me right now (in Netherlands) laugh

That's two geeks for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! They've teamed up! Run for the hills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
But the hills have eyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Delalande
France
Solliès-Ville
PACA
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Also, wanna hear something funny and silly:

Leonie is sitting right next to me right now (in Netherlands) laugh

That's two geeks for you.

Saying hello to you both!

Well, seems like RPGs are a bit too much in my life at the moment:

need to meet some translation deadlines for a couple (triple?) of RPG publishers.

need to finish prepping up some Doctor Who and My Little Pony games for this week-end's convention.

need to draft a Hillfolk Series Pitch about voodoo for my monthly RPG club meet up.

need to write two scenarios, Night's Black Agents & Chroniques des Féals, for a RPG tournament in mid-August, the deadline being in 10 days.

THEN

want to run some Chroniques des Féals for my fellow RPG Geeks.

want to run some Hillfolk for my fellow RPG Geeks.

want to spend my days reading the Guide to Glorantha and write reviews about this beautiful gem.

I guess I need a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs are so much fun, but don't stress yourself out with them Yohann. We will be here later too, ready to game with you once you have some more time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoten zombie
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Some people prefer the finer things in life... I'm alright just hanging out with the ghost of Vincent Price.
badge
Rejoice... The great God fear is dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the fourth episode of The Last Ship now... after a great pilot, an abyssmal 2nd ep and a mediocre 3rd this is the last chance I give the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Delalande
France
Solliès-Ville
PACA
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
RPGs are so much fun, but don't stress yourself out with them Yohann. We will be here later too, ready to game with you once you have some more time

Thanks Jonna. Now I really need to get everything sorted out one at a time (except freelance work, they just keep coming, which is good in a way!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [141] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.