Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
488 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 

13th Age» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Make Your Own Luck IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


CHARACTERS

Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb

Urban-Human Cleric

Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Gestain-Half-Elf Bard

Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Tidake-Elf Wizard

Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Perren-Halfling Rogue

Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Grundar-Dwarf Barbarian


Many ages ago, the Great Gold Wyrm sent a flight of metallic dragons to save the Empire in a dark hour. The skull of one of these dragons, Sidabras, lies in a place of honor in the heart of Harrowdale.

Harrowdale is a medium-sized town in the north-west of the Empire, between the Dwarf-Lands to the north and the Capital to the south. The the west lie the Giantwalk Mountains; to the east, the trading city of Glitterhaegen, and beyond that, the waters of the Midland Sea.

This massive skull is tremendously difficult to move, but also vitally important to the Great Gold Wyrm, as it is believed to have magical properties, particularly useful to those wishing to overwhelm the Great Gold Wyrm's never ending battle to keep the forces of evil from overwhelming the mortal world.

The Great Gold Wyrm has sent you to Harrowdale to protect this treasure, as it is feared that the Diabolist has become aware of its existence (and possible vulnerability) and would stop at nothing to acquire its magic.



Shortly after your party arrived in Harrowdale (about a month ago), a host of trolls bearing demonic sigils and tattoos emerged from a cave in the hills and attacked. The trolls were beaten back, but returned in greater numbers and Harrowdale is now surrounded and besieged. Rumors of leaders with glowing red eyes and trolls under demonic possession persist among the veterans of the fight.

The leader of the trolls is a particularly fearsome monster named Marrowbreath and stories about that brute have circulated through Harrowdale.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the rumors you have heard about Marrowbreath?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Perren overheard locals speaking in hushed tones; some of the Harrowdale militia who claimed that Marrowbreath's power is gained from unholy rituals and sacrifices made to some foreign power.
There are also other, darker, whispers; voices who tell of those in league with the troll, those who seek the dragons skull for their own ends.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Urban the Cleric
Urban is not happy with all the rumors flying around. People are building themselves up into a panic simply on hearsay. When he hears some militiamen discuss the source of Marrowbreath's power, he angrily interrupts, "Of course his powers comes from unholiness, he deals with daemons, after all. But do not worry, the powers of the Truest God is far more powerful."

Urban believes this, of course, but he also knows his God sometimes fail, because his followers weren't strong enough. He has heard something that worries him, that Marrowbreath has sold his soul to Daemons, and return been granted eternal life.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It is rumored that beings of good alignment can chip off a very small piece of the Dragon's Skull.

This tiny piece supplies protection to the being in times of need, such as fighting Marrowbreath.

2. The tattoos that are on Marrowbreath are alive and by touching them, he activates them.

3. Marrowbreath can create multiples of himself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gestain heard grumblings from militiamen in a local tavern of seeing Marrowbreath in the field leaning down to listen to a smaller, dark cloaked figure during battle and then giving orders to his commanders. When the cloaked figure would touch Marrowbreath to get his attention, glyphs or designs would appear on his skin like tattoos.

Another slightly drunk and slurring militiaman interrupted the others, "That thar smaller one smelled like death... ya know it, that smell of innards in the battlefield - almost made me sick, it did."

Gestain leaves the tavern and lingers outside pondering this piece of information of the small, dark cloaked entity guiding Marrowbreath. Another militiaman is standing nearby smoking his pipe and turns to Gestain, "That drunken lot is tellin's a true tale, Bard."

As the militiaman steps forward into the tavern lamp light he looks into Gestain's eyes, "If ye are here to protect what we got he're in Harrowdale you are going to need The Shield to do it. Nothing can get through that or see be'ond it - but that Emperor don't take kind to sharing, eh?"

The militiaman continues walking past the tavern as Gestain grinds his teeth at the mention of the Emperor.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar

Perren, leaning against the door of the tavern, takes a draw from his pipe and looks up at his half-elven companion.

"Reckon there's more to this place than meets the eye. Might be worthy of further investimigation?" With that he winks and exhales, blowing a trail of smoke into the night air.

OOC: I felt like some preliminary roleplay
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


In the month since the siege began, your party has helped lead the Defense of Harrowdale. Refugees from the surrounding countryside rushed to take shelter in the town during the gap between the initial troll attack and the renewal of the siege. While you know the Emperor has sent the Imperial Legion to relieve Harrowdale, your defenses must hold until that time. To this point, you have held the trolls at bay and time grows short for the Enemy. While there has been no way to get Sidabras' skull out of the town, it does currently remain safe in the town...somewhere.



What has your character done during this time to aid in the town defenses? What has their role in the siege defense been? Successes? Challenges?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Perren has been acting as a scout-using his skills to report on enemy movements and encampments. He has also been helping townsfolk to shore up the outer defences and build a few traps.

So far he has been involved in a few minor skirmishes and raids, mainly at night where his strange eyes allowed him to navigate safely in the darkness.

His initial challenge was having the townsfolk accept him as a capable defender and not simply "one of the little folk". He has since come to be recognised as one of the towns significant, if odd, figures, with his brilliant green eyes and his striped pants.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Urban the Cleric
Urban has been preaching and holding cermons for anyone who wants to listen. He is preaching hope, victory, and faith in the Truest God. He is also helping with the construction of fortifications. His night-time visions show him places where the enemy might attack, and he makes sure those areas are extra secure, both with battlements and shrines.

When he wants to rest, he prays, and walks around looking for clues of Sidabra's skull.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Garside
United Kingdom
Andover
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few weeks Tidake could usually be found entertaining the townsfolk with small tricks, taking comfort from bringing a smile to the faces of those in need. However, when the battles have raged he took he place along with the others and fought his bravely as he could manage, amazed to still be alive at the end of every skirmish.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gestain stood side by side with many of the militia during the siege, striking fierce and raising Battle Chants to ensure victory during various enemy attempts at overtaking points along the ramparts, battlements, and defenses. Following the enemy's initial attempt at taking Harrowdale, Gestain surveyed areas along the perimeter with militia engineers to devise secret passages for their troops to exit and flank enemy placements. The tricky part was ensuring all locking mechanisms were both physical and magical in order to not make these surprise entry/exit placements undetectable and closed to all by key militia leaders. Gestain applied the best of his smuggling and passageway knowledge to making this fruitious for the defense.

During the time when Gestain was not working on defenses or resting he would travel to various rally areas of the militia and weave songs of strength and courage and purpose into the minds and souls of the fighters. Between strolls amoungst the areas Gestain put to mind the layout of Harrowdale, what pattern the city streets had in the overall layout, and what structures stood out within it. Gestain pondered this information in hopes of identifying likely areas where the Sidabras' would be kept.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your groups actions have been admirable and the siege defense has been stout. While no advantage has been gained, many in Harrowdale (the skeptic some may say) are surprised that the town has held for as long as it has.

It is a dark and stormy night. Perren, the halfling, has seen a group of three trolls preparing to attack one of the weaker spots in the defenses. Gestain wails a cry of warning, alerting Urban and Tidake that trouble approaches.

Due to your preparations, the only entry point for the trolls is a narrow access point on the north wall (which is why the party is stationed at this point).

Three trolls emerge from the darkness at the far end of the wall, about 30 feet away. All of them are giant, but one appears just a tad larger than the other two. They bear the clear markings of the Diabolist and their claws scrape the nearby stonework with vicious cruelty.



Escalation Die: 0

Roll for initiative. This is a d20 plus your DEX modifier.

Siege Troll INIIT 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19
Troll Runts INIT 1d20+6 = (9) + 6 = 15

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 570857. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (11) + 8 =
  • 19
  • Siege Troll INIIT
  • Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 570858. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (9) + 6 =
  • 15
  • Troll Runts INIT
  • Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:26 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Urban takes out his crossbow. Time to show he has not only the right faith, but the right actions to back it up.

I use the second modifiers, right?

1d20+2 = (15) + 2 = 17
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 570910. karlkrlarsson
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (15) + 2 =
  • 17
  • Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 pm
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Urban takes out his crossbow. Time to show he has not only the right faith, but the right actions to back it up.

I use the second modifiers, right?

karlkrlarsson previously rolled 1d20+2 = (15) + 2 = 17


Yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
His face set with grim resolve, Perren draws his shortsword and looks for an opportunity to use his size, and the lengthening shadows, to his advantage.

1d20+6 = (19) + 6 = 25


WALLAAAA! laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571007. Pendraig
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (19) + 6 =
  • 25
  • Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:01 pm
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Gestain Init 1d20+4 = (8) + 4 = 12
Tidake Init 1d20+2 = (13) + 2 = 15

OK, here is what we have for initiative.

Perren-25
Siege Troll-19
Urban-17
Tidake-15
Troll Runts-15
Gestain-12

Perren and the Big Troll will act first. At that point, Tidake and Urban can act in any order they wish. Tidake does not need to wait if Stu happens to be online first.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571169. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (8) + 4 =
  • 12
  • Gestain Init
  • Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am
  • [+]
  • 571170. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (13) + 2 =
  • 15
  • Tidake Init
  • Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Wrapping the blade of his sword beneath his cloak to prevent any reflection from nearby torches; Perren crouches and uses the shadows and cover from Harrowdale's battlements to approach the trolls.

I'm taking a move action to reach the trolls but would like to do so stealthily if possible; please let me know if I need to make a roll or if I have another action left!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pendraig wrote:
Wrapping the blade of his sword beneath his cloak to prevent any reflection from nearby torches; Perren crouches and uses the shadows and cover from Harrowdale's battlements to approach the trolls.

I'm taking a move action to reach the trolls but would like to do so stealthily if possible; please let me know if I need to make a roll or if I have another action left!


I am assuming that you are trying to move in position to use your Sneak Attack? If so, I think this would be your only action (since I think attacking would make them aware of your presence). If you are just moving in for an attack, you may move and then attack.

To save time, always make a roll. If it is not needed, nothing will be hurt.

Remember, d20+ability bonus+relevant background.

In many cases, you, the player, can decide what is appropriate and narrate how and why certain backgrounds of skills fit the situation. I will step in if I think you have crossed the line.

In this case, I would say d20+DEX bonus as a base.

Then, maybe you could say that since you have a background in small-folk scout, this would aid you in your "skulking." This would give you an additional +3 (for a total of +9) to your roll.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Okay, here's my roll:

1d20+9 = (15) + 9 = 24
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571633. Pendraig
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (15) + 9 =
  • 24
  • Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:31 am
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pendraig wrote:
Okay, here's my roll:

Pendraig previously rolled 1d20+9 = (15) + 9 = 24

Perren successfully lurks in the shadows of the wall, hoping to avoid the trolls notice.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Siege Troll Targets 1custom3{Urban; Tidake; Gestain} -> ( Tidake) -> ( Tidake)
Attack Roll 1d20+7 = (17) + 7 = 24
Attack 2 1d20+7 = (19) + 7 = 26

Ouch!!!


The massive siege troll makes a direct line for the elf. He swings his wicked claws and slashes Tidake across the torso.


Tidake takes 24 damage. Now would be a good time to review healing. You heal using recoveries. In combat, you can use one standard action to rally and spend a recovery, but you can only do this once per fight. Otherwise, you need to use spells, potions, special abilities, etc. to trigger healing.

In Tidake's case, should he choose to use a recovery during the battle, he would roll 2d6+2.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571773. badgermaniac
  • 1custom3{Urban; Tidake; Gestain} =
  • ( Tidake) =
  • ( Tidake)
  • Siege Troll Targets
  • Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:50 am
  • [+]
  • 571775. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (17) + 7 =
  • 24
  • Attack Roll
  • Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:51 am
  • [+]
  • 571777. badgermaniac
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (19) + 7 =
  • 26
  • Attack 2
  • Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 am
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Perren-25
Siege Troll-19
Urban-17
Tidake-15
Troll Runts-15
Gestain-12

Urban and Tidake may now act in any order.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Urban fires hit his crossbow at the siege troll. Then he pulls out his mace.

1d20+2 = (4) + 2 = 6
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 571800. karlkrlarsson
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (4) + 2 =
  • 6
  • Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 am
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Urban fires hit his crossbow at the siege troll. Then he pulls out his mace.

karlkrlarsson previously rolled 1d20+2 = (4) + 2 = 6



Remember that you get a move, a standard action, and a quick action each turn. So, in addition to attacking, you could cast one of your quick action spells (healing, bless, shield of faith, etc.)

I would also add that especially in a short adventure, you don't need to worry too much about things like preserving your spells for the long term. Have fun and use them when you feel appropriate.



As the troll rampages towards Tidake the elf, Urban fires his crossbow at the passing beast, but his aim is not true.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |