The Sundered Land» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: A Doomed Pilgrim in the Ruins of the Future [cont.] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb

“I’m a warrior seeking peace and an end to bloodshed. I’m on pilgrimage to the Temple to No Gods in the distant City of Gulls. My pilgrimage has brought me to the Desert of Spires, inhabited by followers of a grim torturer-devil. My goal is to pass safely through and continue my pilgrimage.

“You, my friends online, play the world. Your goal is to see me to my doom,
instead of safely on my way. You’re allowed only to directly answer my direct questions, though, so you might not be able to do it.

“The rules:
1. Only answer my questions.

2. If you don’t already know the answer, make something up.

3. Keep your answers short.

4. If your answer’s disruptive, I’m allowed to delete it.

5. Otherwise, I have to go with the first answer somebody gives. I’ll +1 it.

6. You may subscribe to this thread if you like. Please use the sentence ‘no gods watch over you’ to do so.”

Go Pilgrim, GO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used up all my gold to pay the grim ferryman to pass the Red River in its battered battle barge. He told me that only one man had passed by swimming, the rest of the drowned would attack us as we dared the journey. Night fell, but the dead left us be. The ferryman at the end said: "I tell that story to every traveller who comes here" he grinned "it makes the rowing all much more fun..."

I bid him farewell with a classic: "May your barge break up when you go back, lice ridden, rot-smiled drunkard" he laughed counting his gold and I descended on the shores to the other side.

I have with me, wrapped in my blankets, a whispering sword as dark as my heart.

In front of me lay the Desert of Spires, I've been walking for one day and one night, now the sun is over in the sky, killing with its fiery stare all hope of a pleasant journey. I see in the distance a smooth-shaped, milk-died spire with small crenels spiraling to the crudely cut top, a tower. From here I can't judge its distance, the heat devils playing tricks on my eyes.

Suddenly something warns me of an approaching danger. What warns me?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be going on and off the computer today, so I may reply with some delay, bear with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Suddently a score of vultures leave the ground, startled, as something has disturbed them, Warning you of something approaching.

"no gods watch over you"

like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I duck into cover, my eyes scanning the horizon in direction of where the vultures were disturbed.

What do I see?

Anyone can answer!

Chris_lib, remember to participate, you need to write: "no gods watch over you", at least once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
No gods watch over you...

... as you watched a four headed hydra form from the mist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I curse under my breath.

I'll try to avoid it if I can, the dunes make for perfect hiding spots, I just need to be careful - other things may be waiting in ambush.

I'm slithering my way from cover to cover, do I lose it, or does it intercept me?

Anyone can answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb

... the hydra has yet to notice you, as you begin to sneak past its four heads. But suddenly, your sentient sword screams for blood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say to the sword: "Would you prefer me to leave you here? Because I will if you don't stop your useless chatter!"

What does the sword do?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO GODS WATCH OVER YOU

"Its blood, or yours - it's the same to me!", your sword replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You brought this on yourself, stupid sword", I quickly remove it from my blankets, and then I plant it in the sand. "Scream as much as you like!", I laugh, and slither away.

Now the hidra should be attracted by the bellowings of the sword, as I slip away.

Does the trick save me from the four-headed beast?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
You watch the Hydra, as it has attention headed directly at the sword, and notice something behind the Hydra....a Harness??? something or somebody apparently used the hydra as an animal of transportation.

but you are safe for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THAT is interesting.

I change my position once again. When I see that I have a good hiding spot I spy upon the hidra to investigate the harness. I'm also looking for any sign of activity in the area - if this is a pet, a master must be near, I want no notice by both.

What do I see?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb

... you almost notice no one controlling the hydra until, GASP!, you see the reins moving as if on its own accord, and you realise that someone or something was driving the hydra... only a wizard of the highest order would have the skill to harness the elements to obscure herself from sight.

The realisation also brought upon further realisation - that the hydra would now be the least cause for concern. No physical weapon, your recently discarded talkative sword, sentient or magic or otherwise, would be of use against such mighty foes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty foes indeed... This is why they'll never see me coming!

I manoeuvre behind the beast, and as I see it still for some time, I dash in the open, then I jump on top and grab the reins!

Do I manage to jump on top of the beast? Do I grab the reins? Do I find an invisible man to unsaddle? How does the beast react?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
no gods watch over you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
as you jump in the air, something tells you that there is some miniscule detail you have miscalculated, as you land square in the saddle, you notice what it is, the reins are tied to the harness, and apparently the rider has dismounted. You see a small line of footprints 10 paces long, before the footprints suddently stop.

This is the least of your worries, or at least not the most imminent, the Hydra bellows and bucks from the impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hydra bellowed and tried to snap my arms off with one of its powerful mandibles, horrible creature!

"You don't scare me, and if once won't suffice, I'll tame you four times if I have to!" I scream as the thing runs off at neck-breaking speed. I hear shouts from behind. Sorry friend, your multicephalous steed is mine, you can keep the sword!

Four times it jumps, four times I keep barely on the saddle. Four times it crashes into protruding stones, four times I let it take the impact while I dodge the boulders. Four times it snapped at me, four times I slapped its maws.

I may subdue the beast here. Does it give a final kick and runs away, or do I tame it for good?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Your sword speaks in a strange tongue that you've never heard before, and suddenly the beast stops bucking and seems to want to obey your every command. You try to make it go left then right, but it doesn't budge. Your sword says something else and the hydra moves toward the sword.

"So, betrayer of forged things, shall you pick me back up and we start this over?"

No gods watch over you, but your sword might!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take it as a, yes, the hydra is tamed.

"Damn, will I ever get rid of you?!" I yell.

"What did you do to the wizard who unsaddled to pick you up?"

What does the sword reply?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mb no gods watch over you mb
(Yes, the hydra no longer fights, though it looks for a chance to escape you)

"I have drank deeply from the font of his power, and he slumbers like the dead. His very essence fortifies me - and oh, how his thoughts intoxicate me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes? Hope it will intoxicate you for a long time, 'cause you're staying here" I added "right in the middle of nowhere. Farewell, old piece of rust!"

I pulled the reins and with some kicking the beast started moving. Mind control is a thing, repeated kicks in the flank another.

Do I manage to get away? Does the sword do something, if anything?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
No gods watch over you.

You ride away for many miles only to find yourself once again at the scene.

The sword laughs spitefully and says, "Do you really think it would be that easy to get away from me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first you can't discern the rumble from the gallop of the hydra, but when you look back to the tainted sword you see cracks and chasms rending the desert. They spiderweb away from the sword, sand tumbling away into the opening rends.

One snakes out, outpacing your mount suddenly so that you see the racing front of the crack beyond the hydra's front feet. Its legs splay as it tries to maintain footing on the widening gap.

Beaten to the post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You're starting to make me angry. The blood of a hydra may not melt you, but will tear some pretty gash in those runes hidden under your black mantle" my smile became dangerous "you're sure you want to go down that path?"

I ride to the sword and take it off the sand.

Do I manage to take it by its hilt? Does it yield, or does it fight?

Anyone can answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |