Popular Tags: [View All]
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
First Adventure: At the Fox's Shrine

SCENE 1

Both Daichi and Okendo have a connection strength of 2 with each other; the contents, as discussed earlier, could be "affection" from Daichi to Okendo and "Protection" from Okendo to Daichi.

At the start of each scene, each character receives wonder points from their connection towards others; so, you each get a total of 4 wp (2 from town, 2 from Daichi/Okendo).

Also, at the start of each scene, you each get a number of feelings from the connections of others towards you; so, you each get a total of 4 feelings (2 from town, 2 from Daichi/Okendo).

Let me know if you have any questions about this on the character creation thread, which will be used as a the OOC thread if you don't mind.

Hitotsuna town, a countryside place of simplicity, warmth... and hidden magic. There are magical beings all around town, hidden from the eyes of everyday folk, they exist alongside them and share their joys and troubles. You are those beings, the Henge, who thrive in the natural world and interact with other henge, deities and people on a daily basis.

On this particularly sunny summer morning, you decide to visit "Shrine Forest", a place of mystery and enchantment, the center of many folk tales and rumours. You come to play on a whim and didn't plan to stay long, but the place is so beautiful, you decide to go deeper and deeper into the forest, guided by the beams of sunlight that shine through the trees.

You eventually come upon a very old shrine. There is a dish and a glass bottle for offerings at the center of it, but now they only hold dry leaves and dust. It's a shrine made out of wood, which has been damaged by the passage of time, wind and rain. There is a wooden door leading into a small house, with a bell and a tattered bell hanging just outside it.

Describe what your characters are doing, saying, how they are acting, etc. Also, tell me if your character is in animal form or human form, or something in between (human form with tail and ears), this doesn't apply to Okendo, of course. If you have any questions about spending feelings and wonder to achieve this transformation, be sure to let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
Okendo, the Witch

Okendo, who had been skipping along joyously through the rays of sunshine - her strangely coloured (by the standards of Hitotsuna anyway) pig-tails trailing behind her - came to a reverent silence at the sight of the shrine.

Glancing over at Daichi as she was wont to do during such moments of import Okendo said, "How exciting! Did you know this shrine was here Daichi? Let's go find something we can leave as an offering and then look inside!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daichi, in full animal form, snuffles over to the offering dish and sticks his nose inside it. Snorting from the dust, he withdraws his nose and rubs it. Then he picks the dish up and holds it over his head as he snuffles under it looking for any scrap of food possibly left behind.

Finding nothing, he disappointedly sets the bowl down. Looking left, then right, he grabs a leaf and from the dish and stuffs it in his mouth. He hopes Okendo didn't see his sacrilege. He does this twice more until he cheeks bulge with leaves. Satisfied no one saw him, he ambles over to a corner of the shrine, sits himself down and chews the tasteless offerings.

"Needs salt." He thinks mournfully. But it is better than chewing nothing. But how can he think of looking for more offerings without first sating his empty stomach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Daichi gets 1 Dream!

Remember that you can award other PCs and NPCs Dreams if they do something super neat, extra cute, etc. Dreams can be used to strengthen connections and get more feelings and wonder each scene because of it.

You may notice something if you raise your animal trait to 6; will you do it? (normal expenditure as described on the rules thread)

Edit: You can only give 1 dream per cute or neat action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I'll raise my animal trait to 6 - but I'm confused about how I would go about doing that and what I would spend... or if I need to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Ok, you spend feelings to boost your trait to that level (6); that is, because you have an animal rating of 2, you would need to spend 4 points of feelings, which you have received from the connection bonus at the start of the scene. Remember to keep track of feelings, wonder, dreams, etc. by editing your sheet.

I'll wait for Alex to see if he wants Okendo to raise her trait or save her feelings for something else.

There are no rolls in this game, everything is spending feelings, wonder, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, OK, so feelings are spent. Got it.

Daichi yawns, stretching his little paws in the air and becomes even more like a tanuki than anyone thought possible. Then he settles back down into his spot and looks around innocently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okendo, the Witch
Gotcha - so we wouldn't give a Dream to you the narrator directly (for the intro as an example) - it's meant more for NPCs and other characters.

Okendo giggles at Daichi, the tanuki's behavour letting Okendo let down her guard a little.

Okendo will save her Feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daichi snuffles sheepishly over to Okendo, hoping she didn't see the theft of leaves from the offering bowl. He looks up with big, innocent (too innocent) eyes, walks a circle around her, then starts to look for an appropriate offering to replace the leaves.

Maybe rocks. he thinks. No one eats rocks, right? A nice shiny rock would look nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Okendo is too busy giggling at Daichi, but Daichi notices something: the shrine's wooden door opens ever so slightly, revealing a cute Henge fox, in human form but with her fox ears popping out of her head. She has long blonde hair, her eyebrows are fluffy as clouds, she has golden eyes. She appears to be around 12 years of age, but with Henge, you never can tell.

She is wearing blue pajamas and a little conical sleeping cap decorated with stars and rainbows. She is just coming out of a small futton. Next to the futton, there is a small alarm clock and a teddy bear. She looks at Daichi with sleepy eyes, and suddenly becomes fully aware and startled. She slams the wooden door closed, drawing attention from Okendo.

A bunch of noises are heard inside the wooden door compartment, and the door opens wide with a burst. Out comes the same Fox girl, but this time, she is wearing a magnificent purple monastic dress, her expression has changed from sleepy and groggy to dignified and proud.

Who are you? This is my shrine, what are you doing here?

She demands, with a haughty expression that does not fit her pretty face at all.

Because of Daichi noticing this new Henge, Okendo was not surprised (usually a negative effect for the surprised character). Daichi has caused an impression (connection) on this Fox Henge, she is now "Curious" about Daichi, strength 1 connection, and this automatically gives Daichi a strength 1 connection to the fox henge (you determine the contents, maybe "Curious" as well?).

Alex, if you want Okendo to cause an impression and stablish a connection with the Fox girl, you need to raise a specific attribute to at least 4 using your feelings (it's better if you raise it to 8, but I don't think you have enough feelings for that). Then, roleplay how you interact with the new Henge using that attribute; for example, if you raise your Henge attribute, you could say that you perform some kind of very minor witchy act (show a little sparkle as you wink, play around with a spirit that's floating by, you name it).

Carrie, Daichi is out of feelings, so he cannot perform an impression check; however, Daichi can still interact with the new Fox girl without doing a check. Also, I noticed that you have 0 points of wonder on your sheet, you actually have 4 wonder points (wp) from the start of the scene, it's important to keep track of those, because they can be used to activate your special powers later on.

Remember to keep track of your new connections, for they will give you new feelings and wonder in the next scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated my character sheet

What Daichi wants to do is go up and snuffle around the new Henge - but he doesn't think she would appreciate that.

Instead he ambles back to Okendo, stretches out, and curls into a sleepy ball next to the witch. He does keep one eye open at the Henge. Just in case she happens to reveal food. Mmmm... food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okendo, the Witch

Okendo had assumed she knew all the henge in the area. The appearance of this shrine and the fox were a mildly interesting development, but the haughty expression of the fox was what put her back.

Standing up to her full height Okendo tried to put on as much of an adult front as possible. "Now you listen here, haven't you ever been taught manners? Let's start over. My name is Okendo and this here is Daichi." With that last remark Okendo rolled her eyes at the ball of fur and whispered out of the side of her mouth "Daichi!"

She finalized the whole thing with a formal bow to the fox.

Okendo will use 3 Feelings to adjust Adult to 4 for this Check. Also 1 Dream for Daichi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daichi the Tanuki

Daichi was so focused on pretending to sleep that he missed Okendo's first cue. Hearing his name a second time, he leaps up on his hind legs and bows hastily, seeing that the witch is already deeply bowing to the fox henge.

But all this action makes him hungry. Him stomach makes a little gurgling noise. Those leaves were not as filling as he hoped.

1 Dream for Okendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
+1 Dream for Okendo

SCENE 2

Okendo is now connected to the Fox girl, connection strength 1; Alex, choose the contents that better suit Okendo's impression of the Fox Henge.

On the Fox Henge's side, she is now connected to Okendo with a strength 2 connection (she used feelings to accomplish that); she is very impressed by Okendo's initial adult attitude, and the contents of her connection are admiration towards Okendo.

Normally, this would be the part where your characters can strengthen their connections, but at the present moment, you would need 5 dreams to do it and you don't have that much yet.

The Fox Henge began with her own dream reserve, and strengthens her connection to Daichi by 1, that is, it's now connection strength 2 (curious).

Just like the beginning of scene 1, it's time to generate new feelings and wonder.

Okendo gets 5 wonder points (2 from town connection, 2 from Daichi and 1 from the Fox Henge) She also gets 6 feelings (2 from town, 2 from Daichi and 2 from the Fox Henge that just strengthened her connection).

Daichi gets the same amount, that is, 5 points of wonder and 6 points of feelings.

Things to note on your character sheet:

- New amount of feelings and wonder (add any points of wonder and feelings that you had to the ones you just received).

- A new dream for Okendo.

- Note down connection strength and contents; Okendo has a new connection with Suzune Hachiman (Fox Henge) str 1 (choose contents), and Suzune Hachiman is connected to her with str 2 (contents: admiration). Daichi has a new connection with Suzune Hachiman str 1 (choose contents), and Suzune Hachiman is connected to Daichi with str 2 (contents: curious).

- Each of your characters should have a total of 3 connections to others (Town, Daichi / Okendo, Suzune) and 3 connections from others (Town, Daichi / Okendo, Suzune).

I hope it's not too confusing, let me know if you have questions.

The Fox Henge nods as she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

Hm, hm, yes, yes, it's good that one of you knows how to show proper manners.

She paces from side to side a bit, almost tripping on her long outift, that is basically mopping the floor from how long it is.

My name is Suzune Hachiman; you still haven't told me what you are doing in this sacred place. You there, racoon dog, can you assume human form like me? It's only fair that you assume human form like me to show proper respect.

She notices Daichi's stomach is growling, and smiles just a bit.

I'll give you one of my left over honey covered taro roots if you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daichi the Tanuki

Daichi eyes the fox henge warily. He runs his paws over his pelt, momentarily torn. He rather likes his rotund tanuki form! But sweets! His mouth begins to water. That settles it!

Scrunching up his face, he transforms! His fur pulls back to reveal the face of a chubby child around eight years old. He is wearing brown robes, much like a monk, though they strain to fully cover his belly. His eyes are suspiciously bright. His ears stay round and furry, and his stripy tail twitches behind him.

Food! I heard you say something about food?

His ears twitch back and forth in anticipation.

So... to transform into henge with ears and tail during the day costs 4 feelings? If so, I will subtract them tomorrow... unless it costs to be an adult as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, you could potentially turn into an old man, but you would need to use the Tanuki Copy power (paying 10 points of wonder) and you must have previously known an older man to transform into him.

Your standard humanoid Henge is between 8 to 18 years old. And yes, it would only cost 4 points of either feelings or wonder, or a combination of both, to carry out the transformation.

Also, you can speak with others while in animal mode; in case you thought it went against the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, didn't think it was again the rules, but Daichi is pretty lazy. It takes a lot to goad him into doing something - such as the mention of food.

OK, I'll amend it to being a pudgy child.

And I'll use 2 wonder and 2 feelings to pay for the transformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

Okendo, the Witch

Seeing Daichi transform, Okendo says with a satisfied grunt turning her attention back to Suzune, "Thank you for the offer of food. Daichi here is always on the lookout for a snack! To answer your question we were simply drawn into this beautiful forest by the sunlight. I'm sure you can understand we didn't come here to bother you on purpose. I'm sure we're very excited to know more about your shrine if you're willing to tell us."

1 Dream for Suzune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thank you! Here you go...

Suzune goes back behind the wooden door and brings out a plate of taro roots, and gives it to Daichi. The moment Daichi bites the roots, they turn into a bunch of leaves.

Nyahahaha!!

Suzune falls on the floor, rolling from side to side, almost turning herself into a little purple ball as her tiny frame is covered in her monastic dress. She promptly gets up, goes back behind the wooden door, and brings out a new plate.

Sorry, sorry! I thought that since you enjoy eating leaves and shapeshifting, a plate of shapeshifting leaves would be the perfect treat, teehee! Here, these are true taro roots.

Suzune hands Daichi a new plate of roots; Daichi can tell these ones are the real deal.

Oh, it's starting to rain, how nice. Well, I've been in this shrine for a few hundred years, it used to be so lively before...

A light drizzle falls around the Henge, refreshing the air around them. There are little birds taking refuge under the leaves, at the highest point of the trees.

+1 dream for Daichi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! I had a post and it looks like I lost it... I'll rewrite it in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
adularia25 wrote:
Gah! I had a post and it looks like I lost it... I'll rewrite it in the morning.

I hate it when that happens; ever since that happened to an entire review of mine, I always copy everything after I write a few paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a good habit, especially for long posts, to compose in a separate text editor. Some folks use a browser plug-in that preserves text and that's all fine and good but I don't think it exists for phones and tablets so just better to get in the habit of using something separate, then copy/paste. Too many lost treasures otherwise! :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

Okendo, the Witch

Okendo watched with pleasure at the antics. When it began to rain she breathed a blissful sigh and said, "Don't you just love rain. It's so refreshing and pure. So you've been here for a long time Suzune? What do you mean that it used to be livelier?"

Okendo absent-mindedly patted Daichi on the shoulder even though he was partially transformed. It was hard to break the habit of patting the tanuki *somewhere* in whatever form he was in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a browser issue - I had to close the entire browser to fix issues that were occurring in other tabs, and I forgot to save what I had written - even though I normally do. So it was entirely my fault I lost it. shake

Daichi the Tanuki

Daichi's fur stands up on end when he bites into the fake leaves. His tail puffs up to three times its normal size! These are not food! He wails in his mind.

But he is a jolly sort, who doesn't hold grudges, so when the real plate of roots appears, the joke is forgotten and the food is happily consumed.

Daichi is just about to put the last root into his mouth, when he realizes his manners. Perhaps it was Okendo patting him on the shoulder that reminded him.

Turning to Okendo, he places it back on the plate and offers the entire plate to her.

+1 Dream for Suzune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
+1 Dream for Okendo
+1 Dream for Daichi

With reminiscing eyes, Suzune answers.

A long, long time ago, this forest was teeming with spirits and deities of all kinds. They often came to play and talk, and people from all around town came to the shrine because they perceived the abundance of spirits.

But now, the spirits and deities have all gone to sleep, for who knows how long, and it's too quiet around he- w-well! It's not like I miss their company, I'm doing fine on my own, thank you wvery much! Hmph!

Oh! The rain is getting stronger, let's take shelter under that huge tree, my little shrine won't be able to house all three of us.

The light drizzle turns into a proper rain, and Suzune keeps talking about the way the good old days were, and about how people have forgotten to enjoy the subtle magic of this forest shrine. As she talks, you notice she constantly blushes and looks away when a heartfelt smile shows on her face.

The emotional conversation is making time go faster than expected, describe what your characters talk about and how they act as they enjoy spending time in the forest shrine; this will lead to the next scene, that happens at evening time. Also, if one of you wants to raise your Adult attribute to 4, you may notice something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |