Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
370 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Risen from the Sands» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PFS - Bearpaw's Risen from the Sands [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruitment thread
OOC thread

This is a PFS sanctioned game, running through Risen from the Sands. For more information on Pathfinder Society Games on RPGG, check out our guild here.

Players:

Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Characters:

Character Player Class/Level Faction PFS #

Jirelle Astinex Swashbuckler 3 XXXXX 110511-2
Matalan Moonfire eddie_drood Cleric 2 Silver Crusade 52640-3
Oloch not2fear Warpriest 3 XXXXX XXXXX-X
Jackman cocuzzi Bloodrager 3 XXXXX 87646-X
Crowe jhhoffmann Bloodrager 3 XXXXX 140312-X
Stugbu greenclaw Paladin 3 Silver Crusade 74677-5


Nitty gritty

- Aim for one post a day. I may bot you through combat if you take a long time to reply. Obviously if you're unable to post for a time just let me know and we'll work around it, not a problem.
- For combat, I'll post maps via Google drive that everyone can access and edit.
- Thumb every post, so if your character has nothing to contribute to the current scene, I know that at least you're following along.
- Subscribe to this thread!
- Most importantly, have fun!

IC posts:

- Descriptive text for your character actions in plain black.
- "Character speech" for what your character says in bold and in quotes, possibly in a different color for every player.
- Thoughts what your character is thinking, italicized.
- OOC (use [ ooc ] [ /ooc ] tags, comes out grey) for OOC questions and information that is directly relevant to what is going on in game.
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The adventure begins in Sandswept Hall, the Pathfinder Lodge in Sothis as Venture-Captain Norden Balentiir briefs you on your upcoming mission.

"Greetings Pathfinders, It seems we have another task at hand in the Osirian desert. A travelling caravan heading from the village of Safani to the city of Eto was recently blown off course while traversing through the Parched Dunes due to unusually strong sandstorms. Much of the caravan was destroyed, but one of the survivors, a man by the name of Ahnkenetaa, claimed to have seen a large pyramid protruding out of the desert. At first many thought that the old man was suffering from heat exhaustion and may have seen a mirage. But then he brought forth a small clay tablet inscribed in Ancient Osirian. The tablet was a cartouche of the Pharaoh Sekh-pa-Mefer the III, The Pharaoh of Sphinxes.

If this indeed true then the sands of time have uncovered one of the few pyramids from the First Age of Osirion. I researched further into the pharaoh’s name and found that it is rumored to be one of the few tombs that the Pharaoh Jetrieti V did not plunder during his reign more than 7,500 years ago.

Using the directions the caravan guide has given me, I have created a map for you and will be sending your team of Pathfinders to explore this area. Locate the pyramid and explore it depths. Bring back as many artifacts as you can find, as I have no doubt that Ahnkenetaa has told his story to others.

Remember you will be traveling in an inhospitable desert environment and very close to the eastern edge of the Footprints of Rovagug. So be vigilant in your travels as all manner of beasts roam those harsh desert sands.

Do any of you have questions before you go?"

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackman forces himself to stay silent during the briefing, hoping others will ask the right questions. He eyes Crowe, an unexpected familiarity about the man is strangely disconcerting. Why is he so familiar looking?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowe sits back waiting for the talking to stop so the action can start. He hopes this mission in the middle of the desert goes well, and if he blacks out again, that the right people end up lying on the ground when he comes to. If the worst comes to past, at least it's in the middle of nowhere, and he can probably get away before people are missed.

He notices Jackman looking at him, but plays it cool. If Crowe gets recognised, he'll deal with it when it becomes a real problem.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Matalan quietly asks "Will we have mounts suitable to the area?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jirelle

Jirelle finds herself in desperate straights if she's willing to foray so far from the sea. The things she's willing to do to earn enough coin for her own ship. Her fellow Society members look the usual sort. Mismatched and scrabbled together in an effort to accomplish another last minute task. 'I mean really, they chose me for this mission?' she thought to herself. Not that she really cared. Jirelle enjoyed meeting new people, and visiting new places always excited her. Though the two blood thirsty barbarian looking types seemed to be eying each other pretty hard. 'What is up with that?'

"If we're to suffer scorching heat and uncomfortable blowing sand, I imagine you'd have us take some comforts along with us? No?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stugbu, an extremely tall and well-built half-orc stands proudly in his full plate armour, the symbol of Sarenrae emblazoned on a white tunic hanging over his chest. "Stugbu heard we going someplace hot so me ask my faction for special stick to take with us!"

He pulls out a thin wand from his pack and holds it up with a beaming, tusky smile on his face, the magical item looking a little absurd in his large, calloused hands. "It called 'End You' something or other...me not remember. Sounded like 'End You Elephants' but I think it better called 'End You Hot and Cold'! Me happy to share it!"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloch scratches his arm pit distractedly, attempting to flush out the fleas hidden in the half-plate armor. Gorum rewards strength. Personal hygiene, not so much. He addresses Balentiir- "How far this pyramid from here? And how we get supplies there? Can we rent or borrow camels from the Pathfinder Lodge? What the clay tablet say? Can we hire a guide who speeks Ancient Osiriani?"

Then, somewhat distracted by the shineee new wand Stugbu was waving around, Oloch grins a nods, "ME want new toys too. Me want go shopping!"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mounts, yes, of course. I have arranged for you to join a caravan that will be passing through the desert, which should have you there in about 4 days. You will have some time to resupply in the markets of course, but I suggest you do not tarry too long, as I'm sure word of the pyramid's discovery has spread far and fast. Osirion's taverns are always filled with intrepid archealogists, explorers, and tomb robbers, and this might be a gold mine. That said, it could just as well be a death trap, so be on your guard. The resourcefulness with which these ancient monuments were constructed to discourage visitors knows no bounds," the Venture-captain warns you.

Let me know if anyone wants to buy or sell anything, or switch their spells.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matalan nods to the VC, then says in a heavy, pompous voice, proclaims (a bit louder than strictly necessary, given the room): "Very well. As a servant of Iomeda, I shall help guide the sword of Her justice to cut down any defiling the tombs of the righteous, nor fail to see honor served and return with that which can further Her will, and that of the Pathfinders, as they align."

swapping out spells for more anti-undead & desert appropriateness. Also, going to buy a few 1st lvl cleric scrolls...

1 Comprehend Languages
1 Detect Undead (yeah, I know...but Matalan would do it)
3 Protection from Evil
3 Magic Weapon
1 Sanctuary

cost: 25 gp x 9 scrolls = 225 gp

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:


Let me know if anyone wants to buy or sell anything, or switch their spells.

Updated spells and equipment here: http://rpggeek.com/article/16166643#16166643
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

If everyone else is ready, Matalan will pack all his gear and make ready for departing with the caravan.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowe doesn't have much gold to spend and hopes the items and provisions he already has is enough. He's ready to get going.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The trip with the caravan takes you about four and a half days, and proves quite uneventful. You're glad to be able to dismount the camels; while they're quite useful in the desert, the Venture-captain failed to mention exactly how... strong they smell.

You find yourselves facing an incredible man-made mountain, a pyramid rising out of the desert sands, a relic of a bygone age. Its limestone casing blocks are weathered from millenia of scouring sands, but the structure seems solid and intact. A stone wall, buttressed by drifts of sand, surrounds the entire structure. To the east stands a squat stone building, connected to the pyramid by a long, covered causeway. No visible entrances to the pyramid's interior can be seen.

The squat, stone building to the east is constructed of large stone blocks, that sits on the desert sands. A wide portico opens to the east, its ceiling supported by two rows of red granite columns. A dark passage leads deeper into the temple to the west.

Pyramid Map

The red square on the map is the pyramid, that rises about 160 feet from the desert surface. The black circumference is the stone wall that runs around it, about 30 feet high. You are currently in front of the building to the east, which is about 750 feet removed from the actual pyramid. I will place some tokens tomorrow so that you can move yourselves.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Matalan pauses to admire the setting. "No matter the building, Her justice will be carried out. Ancient walls will be no defense!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloch looks curiously at the layout of the pyramid. Especially the causeway. Why is it there? Is there something over the edges at the sides of the causeway? How high is the roof of this chamber and over the causeway?

If Oloch cannot determine what lies under the causeway, he will stand to the side to give room to the more nimble members of the party to scout ahead.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackman eyes the temple and hopes he doesn't have to break every brick of the temple to accomplish his goals. The lack of sleep lately starts to show it's effect, and Jackman can't help but recognize those same signs in one specific ally.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stugbu pulls out his Wayfinder, which was hanging from a chain tucked under his tunic. Unlike most common wayfinders it is impressively emblazoned with a silver dragon and resembles a compass.

"Me not afraid of the dark...well, not since Everlight started go guide me!" Stepping towards the entrance the half-orc paladin stops at the entrance looking down at his Shining Wayfinder to see if the compass is moving. "This tell me if anything bad might be near."

Activate Detect Evil
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jirelle

The trip had been uncomfortable, but Jirelle was used to being uncomfortable. The sand and dust was an entirely different matter. Having spent a lot of time on the sea, she'd seen her share of beaches. So she was familiar with sand and how it could get everywhere. But with an ocean nearby relief from the sand was a quick dip in the water away. Out here though, there was no such relief. The sand was always there.

Yet even worse, it was accompanied by a fine cloying dust. It made her skin chafe and encrusted her mouth and eyes. When she tried to use water to wash away the dust, for just a little relief, the caravan members would give her dirty looks for wasting such a precious resource. Having finally reached their destination, Jirelle was already thinking about the trip home. It be oh so nice to take a swim in the ocean and rid herself of this dusty sand.

"That building over there seems rather obvious as an entrance don't you think? Like a perfect place for traps or an ambush?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloch is somewhat taken aback to see Jirelle use water to wash her face. It wasn't so much about wasting water in a desert... but what surprised Oloch was that someone felt the need to wash with water. When HE washes, it will be in the blood of the fallen.

A man of action and impulse, like his Lord in Iron, he snorts as the rest stand and do little. He picks up his 10' pole and begins examining and poking at the entrance of this obvious death trap.
Perception (take 20) 20+2 = 20 + 2 = 22

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 563879. not2fear
  • 20+2 =
  • 20 + 2 =
  • 22
  • Perception (take 20)
  • Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:16 pm
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowe dismounts his camel. While not as sleek as a horse, he could see it was well-adapted to the desert environment.

The desert.

At least he could expect no thunderstorms here. But apparently there are some sort of phenomena called sandstorms, powerful enough to uncover something as massive as this pyramid.

The pyramid.

Crowe's mind boggled at the sheer size of the structure. How long did it take to build? How many people slaved over its building? How many of them died, their blood staining the building stones, soaking into the sand?

Blood.

He could hear his blood pumping in his ears. How long can he keep his bloodrage in check? He could feel his grip on reality slipping. He could feel Jackman's eyes on him, watching for when he would break.

Shaking his head to clear it, Crowe follows Oloch, the strange half-orc priest poking at the stones of the smaller structure. Crowe picks up on the caution of the half-orc, and keeps clear of the stones while he tries to see what he can make of them.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why the scenario describes the causeway as a causeway, since it sits on the desert sands, and visually is a closed structure, much like a tunnel.

The portico you find yourselves in, is quite large and grand, you estimate the ceiling is at least 25-30 feet high. The first half of the chamber has walls that were once carved in relief, but it is so worn down by the sand that any chance of deciphering them is long gone.

The second half of the chamber has a pair of carved and brightly painted granite columns that support the ceiling of this darkened, roughly triangular chamber (dim light conditions are in effect, let me know what you do for illumination). Two stone statues of a regal man holding a crook and flail and wearing a striped cloth headdress stand on either side of the chamber, though the head of one of the two statues now lies cracked and broken on the alabaster floor. Two more stone statues depicting winged creatures with leonine bodies and falcons' heads sit beyond.

The smooth granite walls here are decorated with hieroglyphs and faded murals as well, yet these are in better condition. They depict loyal subjects and slaves presenting offerings to a pharoah who sits on a gilded throne, flanked by winged, falcon-headed lions. A passageway to the west stretches off into darkness.

The beefy orc ignores all the carvings, and starts poking and prodding with a long pole. Assuming someone finds a way to make some illumination: Suddenly, past the statues and just inside the darkened corridor, Oloch makes out the outline of what seems to be a large pressure plate. You think about prodding it with your pole, but you hold off for now...

Knowledge (arcana) checks to identify the second set of statues, Knowledge (history) or (nobility) to identify the first set of statues and to make sense of the carvings.

Map updated with movable icons and the location of the trap!


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jirelle

The wind gusted for a moment in an unexpected direction and Jirelle suddenly missed the camels. The bad small of the camels helped cover up the bad smell of her companions. Wrinkling her nose reflexively, Jirelle moved to the entrance. She banged a Sunrod against the stone to activate it. After holding it for a minute for the others, she tossed it as far down the passageway as she could to light the way ahead.

"An ancient, dark, trap filled passageway. What could possibly go wrong? You'd think those geniuses at the Society would have sent someone skilled with traps on this foray. Well no accounting for poor judgement. One of you muscle bound men up for finding out what lies ahead?"

Knowledge (Nobility) 1d20+4 = (9) + 4 = 13 for statues.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 563958. Astinex
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (9) + 4 =
  • 13
  • Knowledge (Nobility)
  • Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:46 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Matalan murmurs a prayer to Iomeda, and light comes forth from his sword.

"Grim darkness cannot shield evil from justice. Her light reaches all corners!

"These statues are not known to me, though that's hardly a surprise, given the age of this place. "


He moves forward to examine the statues, saying

"Can any of you make sense of them?"

Matalan cast light on his longsword.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowe steps forward with the cleric to examine the statues. "Thank you for the light," he comments. As he looks at the statues, some arcane knowledge springs forth in his mind, he doesn't understand where it came from.

Knowledge (arcane) 1d20+6 = (12) + 6 = 18 for second set of statues.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 564033. jhhoffmann
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (12) + 6 =
  • 18
  • Knowledge (arcane)
  • Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:33 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |