Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Gauls on this important mission to Britain!

User Bifford welcomes user Kezle and user Red Wine Pie to the game.

First of all I'd like you both to choose a character to be the voice and conscience of. I am happy to attempt Dogmatix if you would both prefer to be Asterix and Obelix, but feel free to choose to be the little ball of fluff on legs if you wish

Asterix = Red Wine Pie

Obelix = Kezle

Dogmatix = Barad_The_Dwarf

I'll be running this all in the one thread for simplicities sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Operation Britain: Making a multiplayer out of a solo.
I'm leaning towards Obelix if nobody else wants him. If not I wouldn't mind taking a shot as Dogmatix if you don't have your heart set on him, Sam

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
World Cup Final 14th July 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I can make things easy by taking on the heroic, cunning and occasionally put-upon Asterix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Sounds like I can make things easy by taking on the heroic, cunning and occasionally put-upon Asterix!
You forgot 'diminutive'

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool First post updated. I shall post the intro text later today and we can crack on from there (I'll explain any choices/as we go and we'll wing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick notice, I won't have internet access from about Tuesday to Thursday. This is awkward timing and I'm sorry because I forgot to mention it earlier. Go ahead and start without me, I don't want to hold things up!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan is now on board too - he'll be Dogmatix and I am happy to just chaperone this possible disaster! hahahah

I'm sure the others won't mind you taking a few days out - I already said this is to be a very laid back game so a couple of days hiatus really won't bother anyone much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall put game text into Blue so please choose a different colour for your words. OOC comments can be made using the [ ooc ] text [ /ooc ] tags of course.

It was 50 BC, and Gaul, the country we now know as France, was entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely...one small village of indomitable Gauls, in the province of Armorica, now called Brittany, still held out against the invaders. And life was not easy for the Roman ledionaries who garrisoned the fortified camps Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium...

The Gauls who lived in that one little village were brave and tough, fond of food and drink and a bit of fun. And the best fun they could think of was thumping Romans. Roman garrison after Roman garrison came out to the fortified camps, hoping to defeat the villagers - because then, and only then, would Caesar really be conqueror of all Gaul. Roman garrison after Roman garrison had to admit failure and go back to Rome, hoping against hope they could avoid a date with the lions in the Circus Maximus.

The cunning little warrior Asterix, and his great friend Obelix the menhir-delivery man, have already triumphed many times in the Gauls' struggle against the Romans. This time, YOU can help them! Using the cards and equipment provided with this Game Book, you can guide them on their latest adventure, which has been code-named OPERATION BRITAIN. It's up to you whether they succeed or fail.

There's more than one way you can help them to reach the end of the adventure and carry out their mission - and you may not be successful first time. If you aren't, try another route, or select a different item of equipment. And once you have succeeded, using your skill at making decisions, and whatever luck comes your way, you can always play the game again and see if you can find another way for the Gauls to win through against the Romans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

The Romans knew that the secret of the Gauls' success was the magic potion brewed by Getafix the village druid, which gave them superhuman strength. They had often tried to capture Getafix, hoping to get the secret of the potion out of him, but Asterix and Obelix had rescued him every time.

The origin of this potion was lost in the mists of time...it had been handed down from druid to druid by word of mouth. All Getafix could reveal was that there was mistletoe and lobster in it....the lobster was optional, but it improved the flavour.

The mistletoe, however, was not optional! It was a vital ingredient. And now it looked as if Nature had come to the aid of the Romans. Disaster had struck - the mistletoe crop had failed all over Gaul!

Chief Vitalstatistix was at his wits' end. Even Getafix had no answer to the problem - stock of potion were running low, and without mistletoe he couldn't make a fresh supply. There was just one hope: a message had come from Asterix's British cousin Anticlimax, to say that there was a good mistletoe crop in Britain. Mistletoe for the potion should really be cut by a druid using a golden sickle...but as Chief Vitalstatistix couldn't spare Getafix himself, Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix volunteered to go to Britain and bring back a sackful. And Getafix sent messages by pigeon post to his druid friends in Britain, asking them to cut the mistletoe for the Gauls when they came. For special, magic mistletoe, the kind he needed, grew in only three British oak-woods: one near Londinium, one west of the Caledonian border (Caledonia was the country we now call Scotland), and a third on the island of Mona, now Anglesey.

But Operation Britain would be dangerous. Britain too was under Roman rule, except for the village where Cousin Anticlimax lived. The Gauls had been there before, and if they were recognised while in Britain, the Romans would be keen to capture them. And little did they know that news of their mission had already leaked out...for a Roman spy, snooping round the village fence, had overheard their plans.

Luckily there was enough magic potion left for Getafix to give Asterix some for the journey. Obelix didn't need any; he had fallen into the cauldron of potion when he was a baby, and it had a permanent effect on him. Getafix also offered the two heroes a map of Britain, showing a number of British towns and other landmarks, and a small marble tablet with a list of foreign words on it, called a translator, to help them understand people who spoke foreign languages. Vitalstatistix offered them a bag of coins, which he felt sure would be useful, and a scroll he had picked up during a raid on the camp of Aquarium, giving all the passwords in use in the Roman Empire.

But Asterix and Obelix wanted to travel light. They said they would take only one item with them, and hope to get hold of the others as and when they needed them.

Which item do you think they ought to choose - the coinbag, the password scroll, the map of Britain, or the translator?

Asterix also has either one, two or three gourds of Magic Potion with him. It is up to you to choose how many. (3=Easy; 1=Very Hard) When you are told to remove the last potion the game is over. I'd go three personally

Right guys. This is the best time to get into character and work out "your voice". You either need to come to a consensus on what to take or decide to vote on it. If you vote, I'll bring in the "other system" to test things out.

You can also discuss the 1,2, or 3 potion gourds but I would recommend going with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Asterix is eager to go, but considers for a while what might be the best thing to take.

I think it best we take all 3 potions, as we don't know whether we'll have to go to all the forests before finding out mistletoe.

Hopefully our British friends will help and shelter us when they can, so I think we will need the bag of coins least. Perhaps the Translation tablet would be the best choice? What do you think, Obelix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obelix, now realizing Asterix is talking to him and that he was actually supposed to be paying attention to what Getafix and Vitalstatistix had been talking about, shakes himself from his scrumptious dreams of wild boar.

"Well talking doesn't always work out and I do prefer letting strength take care of trouble but if that's what you think, Asterix, then the tablet sounds fine."

He pauses before putting on his best begging face, despite knowing what the answer would be to his nest question.

"And you're sure there's no potion for me? Getafix must have more somewhere. It's dreadfully unfair, I say. He never gives me even a drop!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now Obelix, you know perfectly well why you can't have any magic potion. I'm sure we'll find some tasty food in Britain.

You're not going to bring Dogmatix, are you? It's a long trip for a little dog... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Of course Dogmatix is coming!" Obelix replies, still a little frumpy after another failed attempt at getting some magic potion but beginning to perk up at the mention of food.

"He's right here and he's going to follow us all the way. Right Dogmatix?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogmatix just runs around in circles jumping in the air all excited for another trip. Woef, woef, woef! he exclaims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, alright then. Make sure you keep a close eye on him!

Farewell, Oh Chief Vitalstatistix. May the sky never fall on our heads. Farewell, Getafix, we'll be back with that mistletoe before you know we've gone!

With that, Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix are ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice start everyone! Dogmatix has to be a hard one to play lol :}
So 3 Potions and the translation tablet chosen.
I'll upload a image of the translation tablet and the magic potion cards to this post tonight.

"Now, have you got everything?" asked Getafix. "Magic potion for Asterix - Translation tablet and fresh supplies of tea for our British friends? Goodbye, and bring back all the magic mistletoe you can."

Everyone wanted to wish Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix luck, and the village street was crowded - until Cacofonix the bard cleared his throat and struck his lyre. "Here, what's this?" asked Fulliautomatix the village blacksmith. "A tune, of course," said the bard. "You could have fooled me," muttered Fulliautomatix, taking a good grip on his hammer. "I will now," said Cacofonix, ignoring him, "give you a farewell ode in twenty verses entitles See The Conquering Heroes Go." But by the end of the first verse Asterix and Obelix were haring down the road, the other villagers had run for cover, and Fulliautomatix made sure the first verse was also the last.

"Phew!" said Asterix, once out of earshot. "Britain will hold no terrors for us after that! We're on the road for Potus Itius, to cross the Mare Britannicum...the only question is, how? I suggest we hire a little jolly-boat. We want to be inconspicuous." "Do we?" said Obelix. "I'd like to go in a Roman galley - we could borrow one at Portus Itius," he added. "I don't know about that," said Asterix, doubtfully. "A merchant vessel might be a better bet." Dogmatix barked, as if to say he'd like that. "Though I'd still prefer the jolly-boat," said Asterix. "And here's Portus Itius, so we'd better make up our minds."

Time for you three to argue your points for your respective choices! Let's see how imaginative you can all be! Then also decide on a final decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As they left the village and Cacofonix was singing the only ting Dogmatix could do was: Howl, Howl, Howl!, luckily they got away from all the noise and the trip continued. Dogmatix in the port, listening to Asterix arguments but hearing his boss having another idea decided to go with Asterix plan and went running to a small ship that seemed to have enough food in it for Dogmatix and his friends. He stood there and went: Yelp Yelp Yelp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"No no no, Dogmatix!" Obelix says, chiding the small barking animal. "That boat is far too small. We want something bigger, like a real Roman galley! That's a proper boat, and the Romans would never suspect we would travel in one. We could sail right in under their noses!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogmatix lets his head hang and with puppy eyes he wonders over to Obelix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"There there, Dogmatix, Obelix comforts the small dog with a pat on the head. "We can always take a smaller ship like that on the way back. But won't you enjoy the trip so much more in a Roman galley? There may even be actual Romans we get to fight!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Obelix, we want to keep our mission secret from the Romans for as long as we can. Borrowing a galley might just tip them off. I think a merchant ship might be the best way to get to Britain. There will be plenty of Romans to bash once we're on the way back with some mistletoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"But won't they be watching the ships, waiting for our arrival? The only place those Romans won't search for us is one of their own galleys!" Obelix sounds confident in his own choice but still can't stop from muttering to himself. "A merchant ship might have more food though..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing this dogmatix starts barking exited again and runs back to a merchant vessel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go Obelix, better food and a better place to hide than on a Roman galley. Even Dogmatix is keen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I guess you're right," Obelix agrees, sounding only a teensy bit sulky. "You have always been better at the whole 'planning' bit. I like the bit where we bash Romans better. Merchant ship it is, then! Think they'll have wild boar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |