Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
121 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Project O.L.I.V.E.» Forums » General

Subject: Play by Forum presents: Play-test 1: Ferol & Mak'tularn and the Order of Fried Cheese rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game-Master: Iffix (Players, I am a neophyte GM, and I have not GM'd in nearly a year, so please bear with me in this endeavor.)

Players: Caroline & Vivienne
(Thank you for agreeing to play through this play-test with me. Please endeavor to post regularly. This play-test won't likely last very long; perhaps just a few days.)

Character sheets: Please acquire character sheets from the D6 item of the Play-test Geeklist. (If you need help finding it, let me know and I'll send you a link.) You don't need to print a copy, if you choose not to.

Setting: The Lin have been working together in a small group to assemble a machine. Players:

Player 1: I wish to know your character name. Also, please tell me what this machine is supposed to do. (Improvise.)

Player 2: I wish to know your character name. Also, please tell me how far you've come in the building process. (Improvise.)

(Note: I have not assigned you a player number. This should correspond to the order of your post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player 1: "mak'tularn"
Character Name: mak'tularn

For some time the appearance of the rifts has been puzzling the Lin. They are appearing more frequently and increasing in size, and, consequently, the detrimental impact on the [world] is accelerating. The machine is trying to predict where and when the next rift(s) will appear and how big they are likely to be ....

(Does that work for you guys?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play by Forum presents: Play-test 1: Lin Adventures in the Church of the Afterlife...
It's fine by me. Let's see where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play by Forum presents: Play-test 1: Lin Adventures in the Church of the Afterlife...
That works fine!

Name: Ferol

"The building process is coming along just fine! Just fine! Now stop asking about it every hour and perhaps we can make more progress than the last time you asked!

What do you mean it's been two days since you last asked! Surely it was just an hour ago... oh, I guess I am kind of hungry.

So, what was it you wanted to know again? Ah, yes, progress.

We have added the Skar'nivveh modulation device. The Pkrag frequency detector is firmly in place. We are still working on the readout screen - I'm afraid any information it spits back right now is a garbled mess of herve. No worries, we should have that snarl of information untangled in a day or two.

As mak'tularn stated, this should predict where the next rift will occur. Though as of now, it just gives us the size, location and frequency of rifts... that are currently occurring.

I have full confidence that it will be able to predict rifts... in time.

Did I mention it also comes with an attachment to make fried cheese?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the progress has indeed been substantial, something curious has begun to unfold.
One of the robots working with your crew, Z399 approaches Project Master Grimby with an alarming tone in his voice.
"Master, I believe you should see this."
At that moment, a grinding noise and a massive cloud of smoke draw Grimby's attention toward another direction.
"You two, go check out what Z399 is yammering on about."
What do you do?

Sorry about the edits; the first was due to forgetting a key character to the story. The second was because I felt like I was railroading; not much fun in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferol huffs. "I'm an inventor! Not some sort of glorified secretary! My time is valuable!"

In a softer voice he adds, "When I can tell time is passing. Really, two days? I must find something to eat."

Looking in a pocket in his overalls, he find half a sandwich, sadly squished and covered with suspicious looking black oil. He futilely wipes it off on his overalls, which just rubs the oil in deeper, and then takes a bite.

*chomp**mrff**crunch*

Ferol turns and looks at mak'tularn.

"So, mak'tularn," *mrff**chew**chomp* "you coming to see what is so important we have to drop our work and talk to some Z3s?"

Turning back the 'bots, Ferol walks a few trudging paces towards them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gah! You work like a uplander hybrid! Even I can SEE the size and frequency of rifts that as they appear. If I could get my hands on the new modulating goggles I would do the job myself...."

Grizzling under her breath about slow progress and help not being what it used to be, mak'tularn followed Ferol to see what the 'bot was so excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugly, "It's not my fault you didn't snag a pair. I think they are quite dashing!" Ferol preens a bit, not realizing how incongruous his goggles are when compared to his unkempt state. "And all the things they can see... no need for those silly helmet-screens - those always hurt my delicate ears."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unlikely Ferol would have made out mak'tularn's mumbled rantings "... Wasted on the likes ... age no longer counts ... in my youth ..." But then she brightened. "Did you say fried cheese? I like fried cheese!"

Maybe this tech assistant was not such a dead loss after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferol brightens, "Yes, fried cheese! It's the only part that works consistently. So even if this entire endeavor is a total loss, we can go into the cheese restaurant business!"

Ferol pauses and thinks for a moment. "Not that I know anything about selling cheese. Only making it fried. I don't even know where it comes from. Well, I know where it comes from in theory, but who has time to raise and care for ruminants these days?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So deep in thought, the two assistants nearly walk head-long into a rift. It emanates an almost blinding glow.

"This is bad. This is exceedingly bad. We did not anticipate this at all. It is far too close. I estimate another expansion of the rift in 38 seconds. And when that happens, we will all be engulfed... Wait. What happened to Master?"

Fortunately, the rift-analyst machine was designed with an engine and wheels for a quick get-away. Unfortunately, the engine is not finished yet. But fortunately, there's cheese. ... Fried cheese... What will you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who needs an engine when we have - fried cheese!

"Blasted engine... need to save the machine!"

Ferol tinkers around inside it and removes a an attachment that looks like a frying pan. It is filled with the oil used to fry the cheese. He isn't strong enough to hold it for long - it slips from his hands, spilling oil around the wheels the machine moves on - but that is OK. He was going to pour the oil on the floor anyway.

After a quick rest, he puts the pan back into the machine and runs behind it. He pulls out what looks to be a metal pencil from his pocket and presses a button where the eraser would be. The pencil expands into a three-foot metal poll. Wedging it under the machine, Ferol uses it as a lever to move it.

"Give me a lever big enough, and I can save the cheese!" he mumbles while straining against the machine.

With the force of the lever and the oil under the wheels, the machine begins to move, slowly at first, then with careening madness as it rolls away from the rift.

"Ah, physics." Ferol says with satisfaction. "Works every time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment, mak'tularn stood her head cocked on one side, transfixed by the gaping rift and its almost feral desire to engulf all in its path ... including Master! Surely that makes me Master now? she thought with satisfaction.

She was about to start barking orders at her newly appointed minion, when she caught the scent of cheesy oil wafting from the machine. She turned to see the machine now moving at a gathering pace, Ferol grinning madly as it skidded from side-to-side.

mak'tularn raced after after them applying her shoulder to one side of he machine. "Straight!" she gasped. "We have to keep it straight or we'll never escape. And we need more oil!"

Young Ferol stumbling on the slipperiness of the oil under the wheels, would have been inspired - had he known what he was doing! Good instincts though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed... Ferol would have been inspired... but his greasy overalls had become stuck on the back of the machine!!!

All that levering looped his pants onto some protruding knob! With his nimble fingers, he tried to get it out - but the machine pulled him too fast, making it impossible to get unstuck! Ferol dropped his lever, closed his eyes, and held on for dear life.

"Help me...eep!" he managed to bleat before his vocal chords shut down from the terror of the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting as the machine he was tinkering under begins to pull away, Grimby shouts, "Hey! What's going on?" Suddenly, he feels a choking sensation as his scarf gets wrapped into the wheel well, pulling him along. He tries to shout to stop, but he can bearly breathe with the scarf being stretched and pulling tighter.

Suddenly, the rift expands, and with the scarf being severed, he is pulled into the rift. It wobbles sort of like a glowing blob of jello, then closes. Did either of the assistants notice this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferol has his eyes firmly focused on the inside of his skull. Which is to say, no, he didn't notice a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferol ought to make a pilot check at this point, because if the driver can't see where he's going, all manner of havoc should ensue. I am going to impose a -1 on the roll as you described it, and I'll allow you to translate the result as you see fit. Remember, "success, but" and "failure, but" are used to extend the story out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine by me, what do I roll? 1d6? 2d6?

I have to admit that between all the threads, I don't know what I'm rolling other than a d6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, just a single D6. Refer to your character sheet for results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ah! Make it stop! Make it stop! MAKEITSTOP!"

Poor little Ferol... he is quite out of his depth...

Piloting this crazy machine: 1d6 = (2) = 2 minus 1 is... *drumroll* 1

Oh yes! Perfect!

Failure, but... here I come!

That's exactly what I wanted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 540794. adularia25
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • Piloting this crazy machine:
  • Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 pm
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Pausing to recap)
To Mak'tularn: Did you notice what became of Master?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mak'tularn grasped an upright attempting to steer the cumbersome mechanoid one-handed and wiped a greasy hand across the inadequate goggles. Squinting she tried to make out any obstacles the would help to slow them down again, but only succeeded in cannoning off a large barrel.

She held fast to the machine as it spun out of control. But between the smell of cheese and the motion she started to feel quite ill. Fearing she would lose more than her lunch, she decided to let go and skidded off to one side of the production lab, and watched mesmerised as machine and minion continued to pirouette in ever-decreasing circles.....

In case you did not get the implication - no, mak'tularn did not see what happened to Master

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also have said that mak'tularn missed Master earlier when the rift sppeared and had assumed he'd been swallowed by it at that point leaving her in charge. In which case she would not have been looking out for him when they rode the mech-wurlitzer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch. Harsh. I admire your interpretation of a character with a socially awkward view of the world. Sort of sociopathic, though, isn't it?

By the way, you two are both playing Lins the same way I imagined them, and exactly how I would have played them. I hope you're having a good time with it.

As the vehicle spins out of control, it flips over. Fortunately, it wasn't going very fast. Unfortunately, your characters eat dirt. Fortunately, eating dirt isn't uncommon for a lin. Unfortunately, this dirt has very little by way of nutritional value. In fact, it doesn't taste much like the dirt you're accustomed to.

As you struggle to your feet, you find yourself shrouded in a strange fog. It begins to clear; even so, not much looks familiar. What do you see?

Be as creative as you like; 2nd poster, feel free to expound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See? Ferol sputters and coughs up dust. Greasy dust covers him head-to-toe, which wouldn't be a problem, except that it complete blocks his vision. Well, what little vision he has. He takes off his goggles and pulls a (relatively) clean rag out of the back pocket of his overalls.

Wiping his goggles meticulously he squints at the area around him. Realizing he can't see a damn thing with his goggles off, he finishes cleaning them, puts them back on, and tries again.

Much better! Or worse...

Turns out the area isn't much better when you can see.

The walls are too far away to make out in the low-light. Bits of minerals in the rock create pin-pricks of light, but not enough to illuminate the room.

From Geochemical Instrumentation and Analysis: Back-scattered Electron Detector "In silicate rocks, for example, quartz and feldspars will appear dark or nearly black, Fe-Mg silicates will be brighter, and Fe-Ti oxides or rare-earth minerals will be very bright."

There is a strong breeze. Ferol's current theory is that is was caused by the rift. But as he cannot see anything more than a foot away, he cannot confirm this hypothesis.

"mak'tularn?" he asks tentatively, "Anyone?"

Ferol begins to search through his copious pockets for a light of some sort. Thus far, no such luck. Hopefully someone else will come along soon... especially since he is all out of sandwiches and is feeling hungry again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |