Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
344 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-05: Tide of Twilight» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PbP GameDay 2: PFS 3-05 Tide of Twilight TFG IC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Out of Character Thread link

This is a sanctioned Pathfinder Society Game, using scenario Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-05: Tide of Twilight. This is being run as a part of Paizo's PbP GameDay #2.

If you are just browsing this thread and have questions or want to get in on a sanctioned Society game, check out our guild here.

A few rules/guidelines:

1) Remember its role play first, dice roll second!
2) Keep it clean, my wife reads this thread!
3) Try to post 1/day to keep the action moving!
4) Have fun!


Players:

Character Player Class/Level

Almathea Vyrn Bearpaw Tiefling Bloodrager/1
Gwestthea Runraiar 0time Elf Wizard/1
Cade Grimmond Anoirtrou Halfing Rogue/2 Sorcerer/1
Zilfirin Cablammatic Jowolf Grenadier/2
Gunnar Olofsson Parrais Barbaran/1
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
The journey begins...

With a thump, Venture-Captain Brackett sets a rounded granite stone on his desk. The stone is polished smooth and veined with shallow carvings reminiscent of constellations. “This is a lorestone, from the depths of the Verduran Forest. It’s rumored to hold all of the secrets of the druids of that ancient wood. Just over two years ago, a group of Pathfinders recovered this stone for us. We’re not much closer to cracking its secrets than we were on the day those agents put it into our hands, but we have gleaned one interesting bit of knowledge.

“The lorestone tells of a lengthy ritual using an artifact called the Atavistic Splinter, a piece of charred bark touched by Gozreh himself. The ritual transforms humanoids into bestial creatures with preternatural resilience. We could use something with this kind of power for the upcoming Ruby Phoenix Tournament in Goka, so we need you to recover the Atavistic Splinter for us.

“We believe the artifact is near the gnome town of Wispil, deep in the Verduran Forest. A Pathfinder operative there — a gnome herbalist named Falbin—was investigating increased lycanthrope activity south of Wispil. Falbin discovered that a sinister cabal of druids in a compound called Briar Henge is using the Atavistic Splinter to perform the ritual, probably to drive out the local loggers, but he couldn’t recover the Atavistic Splinter from the druids by himself.

“Go to Wispil and contact Falbin there. He will provide you with directions to Briar Henge and recent intelligence regarding the situation around Wispil. Then use this information to infiltrate Briar Henge and acquire the Atavistic Splinter."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I've already arranged for your transportation to Wissel. The journey should take you just short of two weeks: overland to Bellis, then across the Sellen River by riverboat, and overland along logging trails due east to Wispil. I assume you have questions for me, but if not, then you leave in 2 hours. Just long enough to pick up any last minute supplies.

He looks around the room, obviously ready for you to begin your journey. He isn't impatient, but he is thorough.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The young girl regards her fellows, and eventually nods. Clad in a coarse gray robe, an impressive set of horns grows from her forehead, which she has adorned with some cheap jewels. Her hair is burnt orange, while her eyes are a deep vermillion color, and her otherwise handsome young face already bears several badly-healed scars. A black rune is tattooed on the bridge of her nose, between her eyebrows.

Her mood seems to visibly darken as she listens to the venture-captain. "Do we know how this splinter transforms people? I already find myself with a tendency to transform into a bestial thing, without help of any sort of godly artifacts, I'm not eager to find out what this thing would do to me," she asks in a soft voice.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunnar looks to be a typical Ulfen warrior, with fair hair and beard, and a toned, muscular physique. He wears functional clothing, but both his armour and greatsword look well made (and brand new). His pack is nearly full to bursting, but the weight does not appear to cause him any difficulty. Anyone taking a closer look at him can see a not-inconsiderable amount of Gunnar's breakfast still clinging to his beard.

"I've never been to a gnome town before. What do we need to know about it? Do they have good ale, and do you have to buy it in tiny gnome cups?" Gunnar seems very concerned about this last point, and holds his hands very close together to indicate the expected size of tankard on offer.

"Anything else you can tell us about this Briar Henge, or the rest of the Verduran Forest for that matter?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Bearpaw wrote:
The young girl regards her fellows, and eventually nods. Clad in a coarse gray robe, an impressive set of horns grows from her forehead, which she has adorned with some cheap jewels. Her hair is burnt orange, while her eyes are a deep vermillion color, and her otherwise handsome young face already bears several badly-healed scars. A black rune is tattooed on the bridge of her nose, between her eyebrows.

Her mood seems to visibly darken as she listens to the venture-captain. "Do we know how this splinter transforms people? I already find myself with a tendency to transform into a bestial thing, without help of any sort of godly artifacts, I'm not eager to find out what this thing would do to me," she asks in a soft voice.

Brackett picks up the lorestone and turns it over in his hand.

"The Atavistic Splinter is a sheet piece of charred bark about two feet long, ten inches wide, and an inch thick. The ritual takes several weeks. But as it will take almost two weeks to get to Wispil from here, you’d better hurry on your way. If these druids finish the ritual, they might take the Atavistic Splinter away to some better-hidden location. Not to mention what they might leave behind for you.

“The ritual robs humanoids of their wits but imbues them with physical power. That’s really all we know. Despite their bestial appearance, these animal-men aren’t lycanthropes. Falbin will know more.”


He looks at you each, pretty sure there isn't more he can say about that.

Knoledge history or Nature rolls might help here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
parrais wrote:
Gunnar looks to be a typical Ulfen warrior, with fair hair and beard, and a toned, muscular physique. He wears functional clothing, but both his armour and greatsword look well made (and brand new). His pack is nearly full to bursting, but the weight does not appear to cause him any difficulty. Anyone taking a closer look at him can see a not-inconsiderable amount of Gunnar's breakfast still clinging to his beard.

"I've never been to a gnome town before. What do we need to know about it? Do they have good ale, and do you have to buy it in tiny gnome cups?" Gunnar seems very concerned about this last point, and holds his hands very close together to indicate the expected size of tankard on offer.

"Anything else you can tell us about this Briar Henge, or the rest of the Verduran Forest for that matter?"

Brackett arches a brow.

Based on the timeline, you might have little time for drink before the mission is complete, but I am sure the gnomes have larger cups for... larger drinks.

Knowledge checks Nature/History
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Based on the timeline, you might have little time for drink before the mission is complete, but I am sure the gnomes have larger cups for... larger drinks.
"Of course, I will save the drinking till after our inevitable and glorious success!" Gunnar seems genuinely confident of victory, and his voice booms around the room.

Gunnar has no knowledge... seemingly of any kind.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade rushes into the room shortly after Venture-Captain Brackett begins the briefing, munching on a small pastry.

"Hello! Sorry I'm late, there was quite a line at the shop selling fresh-baked muffins. I brought some more if anyone's hungry!"

The short, lean halfling moves like a zephyr about the room offering the treats, his touselled pale blond hair waving about in a non-existant wind. Standing at the rear of the room, he listens to the rest of the lecture and questions while finishing his meal.

Seeming to only pay a half-hearted interest in Brackett's words, he tries to recall some of the lore his uncle had (only partly successfully) tried to teach him.

Knowledge (History): 1d20+7 = (19) + 7 = 26
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541667. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (19) + 7 =
  • 26
  • Knowledge (History):
  • Fri May 2, 2014 6:12 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
anoirtrou wrote:
Cade rushes into the room shortly after Venture-Captain Brackett begins the briefing, munching on a small pastry.

"Hello! Sorry I'm late, there was quite a line at the shop selling fresh-baked muffins. I brought some more if anyone's hungry!"

The short, lean halfling moves like a zephyr about the room offering the treats, his touselled pale blond hair waving about in a non-existant wind. Standing at the rear of the room, he listens to the rest of the lecture and questions while finishing his meal.

Seeming to be only pay a half-hearted interest in Brackett's words, he tries to recall some of the lore his uncle had (only partly successfully) tried to teach him.

anoirtrou previously rolled 1d20+7 = (19) + 7 = 26 (Knowledge (History): )

Cade reminisces a certain meal with a side of lore. Between bites, his uncle rambled about many topics historical.

Now, Taldor has been at peace with the druids of the Verduran Forest for hundreds of years, since the Treaty of Wildwood in 3841 ar. Which is good. Some druid cabals in the Verduran Forest take a dim view of civilized settlement in the forest, even though settlements are protected by the Treaty. Try to drive them out, see? Pass the muffins? Good! Taldor so values its lumber trade that even sinister druid cabals are left unchecked by the authorities, so long as the cabals’ depredations are fairly limited. So if you are ever fidig yourself there, make sure you pack a... Cade, are you even listening? Cade?

The Venture-Captain closes his chronicle book with a louder thump than usual breaking Cade from his musings.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A little gnome with flaming orange hair stands on tiptoe to peer at the stone, clearly fascinated. Some sort of cipher maybe... if that squiggle there was 'druid' then... So much knowledge in such a small area... didn't know druids were so clever!

Zilfirin looks progressively more enthusiastic as the Venture Captain describes the transforming powers of the Splinter until he gets to "...robs humanoids of their wits..." at which point the gnome's shoulders slump. "Oh... sad that. It was sounding so fun..."

He starts paying more attention to the Captain and tries to remember if he's heard about transformations like this before Knowledge (nature) 1d20+7 = (2) + 7 = 9
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541752. Jowolf
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (2) + 7 =
  • 9
  • Knowledge (nature)
  • Fri May 2, 2014 10:29 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Jowolf wrote:
A little gnome with flaming orange hair stands on tiptoe to peer at the stone, clearly fascinated. Some sort of cipher maybe... if that squiggle there was 'druid' then... So much knowledge in such a small area... didn't know druids were so clever!

Zilfirin looks progressively more enthusiastic as the Venture Captain describes the transforming powers of the Splinter until he gets to "...robs humanoids of their wits..." at which point the gnome's shoulders slump. "Oh... sad that. It was sounding so fun..."

He starts paying more attention to the Captain and tries to remember if he's heard about transformations like this before Jowolf previously rolled 1d20+7 = (2) + 7 = 9 (Knowledge (nature))

Zilririn remembers nothing but whispers of the word Druid, shard, great conjunction, skeksis, and... Shaking his head, the gnome breaks the hypnotic power of the lore stone. It's all gibberish.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Any purchases you want to make before we begin the journey?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfirin is ready and raring to go. Weird transforming druids sounds quite exciting in his book.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rai
Thailand
flag msg tools
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thea

Gwestthea (or Thea as she became known outside of Kyonin) spent her childhood and adolescent years among the Ekujae tribe of Wild Elves of the Mwangi Expanse. Dressed in a simple wizard's robe, her face is adorned in tribal tattoos and her deep blue eyes convey a depth of keen intelligence.

She listens to Venture-Captain Brackett intently and sees if she can recall any useful information for the mission:
Knowledge Nature 1d20+9 = (15) + 9 = 24

She greets her companions kindly and indicates she is ready to get on with this mission.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542072. 0time
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (15) + 9 =
  • 24
  • Knowledge Nature
  • Sun May 4, 2014 7:20 am
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
0time wrote:
Thea

Gwestthea (or Thea as she became known outside of Kyonin) spent her childhood and adolescent years among the Ekujae tribe of Wild Elves of the Mwangi Expanse. Dressed in a simple wizard's robe, her face is adorned in tribal tattoos and her deep blue eyes convey a depth of keen intelligence.

She listens to Venture-Captain Brackett intently and sees if she can recall any useful information for the mission:
0time previously rolled 1d20+9 = (15) + 9 = 24 (Knowledge Nature)

She greets her companions kindly and indicates she is ready to get on with this mission.

From her experience, the elf knows that small groups of druids often occupy sites where the border to the First World is thin. In these wild places, druids often ally with fey creatures.

Thea also recalls that lycanthropes are a dangerous menace in the Verduran Forest. As a result, lycanthrope hunters often compete to earn lucrative bounties. Upon rumors of a lycanthrope uprising, opportunistic hunters quickly descend on the area.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming Thea shares her realisations...

"Fey? Lyc.. lycan... werewolves and suchlike? Do I need anything special to deal with them, or will this do?" Gunnar asks loudly, patting the pommel of his greatsword.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If I remember right, we would need cold iron for fey, and silver for werewolves. Am I correct?" Cade turns to ask Thea with an arched brow.

"Although I am having a hard time remembering how they fare against magic...?" he muses as he absent-mindedly snaps his fingers a few times, producing several sparks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfirin blinks at the discussion, realising he should have given this some thought. "What about fire? Lycanthropes are furry, right? Fur usually burns well..."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hmm, I think silver is for devils, or perhaps demons, one or the other," Almathea offers after a moments contemplation.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade hops down from his chair and goes to open the door.

"Well, we should probably get what weapons we need and get moving. The caravan to Wissel isn't going to wait for us!"

He bows slightly and gestures outside, smiling.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Onward then!" Zilfirin bounds out the door, grinning at the prospect of another adventure and conveniently forgetting that some folk in Wispil may not be all that pleased to see him again.

"What shall we do to keep ourselves amused while we're travelling? Tell stories? Sing songs? Have a fire-juggling competition?!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Almathea grins, the scar near her lips puckering up. "How about gnome juggling? You can be on fire if you want," she adds innocently.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Jowolf wrote:
"Onward then!" Zilfirin bounds out the door, grinning at the prospect of another adventure and conveniently forgetting that some folk in Wispil may not be all that pleased to see him again.

"What shall we do to keep ourselves amused while we're travelling? Tell stories? Sing songs? Have a fire-juggling competition?!"

Venture-Captain Brackett watches the party leave his office, thankful that that have ways to entertain themselves even when he isn't present.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"To Gnome Town! Aha!" Gunnar exclaims enthusiastically, as he leaves the office.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |