Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
324 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-11: Library of the Lion» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Greenclaw's 5-11 - The Library of the Lion (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character [IC] thread for one of our offical RPG Geek Pathfinder Society Games. Click here to learn how you can join the guild and take part in our regular offering of sanctioned Pathfinder Society games!

Our cast of characters:


Character Player Class/Level PFS # Faction

Milo Montajay residue Bard 3/Fighter 1 78307-2 Taldor
Tinma Dutys_Fist Gunslinger 3 64583-4 Andoran
Hiram Thistlefoot Rodafowa Rogue 3/Barbarian 1 78729-1 Andoran
Endo Fineleaf Vladimir17 Cavalier 3/Bard 1 73392-2 Andoran
Indo Cobbz20 Monk 4 76206-3 Silver Crusade

Quick link to Character Depository.
Quick link to the OOC thread.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Located in the Taldan Capitol city of Oppara, Venture-Captain Muesello’s lodge hides behind the facade of a simple bait and tackle shop, which Muesello dutifully maintains to provide Pathfinders a
local base of operations that doesn’t invite much scrutiny. His pockmarked face breaks into a smile as bell on the door jingles, and he motions for everyone to gather in the building’s back room before locking up the shop and propping a sign in the window that reads “Gone fishing.” Lady Glorianna Morilla sits at a table by a small fireplace and Muesello introduces her with the full formalities as a guest of the Society.


Venture-Captain Muesello quietly closes the door behind him before speaking. “Where's his majesty? I do hope he's just running late...mostly for your sake. I'd hate to think I was sending you all into something without his protection!" The man shakes his head and lets out a sigh. "Oh well, we don't have time to worry about that now. Just promise me you'll be careful, hmmm? Anyway I better get on with the briefing...As you may know, the Pathfinder Society does not have a sterling reputation in Taldor, despite my and others’ efforts to impress the local movers and shakers. As a result of this, the most prestigious universities and colleges often deny our agents access to the best libraries in Oppara, thinking we are meddling good-for-nothings. As one of the oldest intact civilizations near the Inner Sea, these libraries no doubt house some very precious volumes. Recently we received a most wonderful opportunity—an invitation, really, from a very powerful patron,” he adds as he withdraws a scroll tube with a broken wax seal from his apron.

“This patron will secure us a couple hours in the rare books collection at the Kitharodian Academy, during which we may peruse for whatever we wish so long as we also retrieve several documents of interest for our friend. That,” he punctuates by tapping the scroll tube on the table, “is where things get interesting. Apparently there is an even more precious archive hidden beneath the academy’s library, and our patron believes it to contain numerous original records and undoctored historical accounts otherwise unknown to the world! Our contact knows how to get into the archive and has shared the secret with us.

“Two hours is little time, so you must make the most of your time. I know it will be tempting to research other nterests, but it would be selfish for the Society to think of itself when the Worldwound’s borders threaten to envelop Mendev and beyond. I am sending you in with the express purpose of uncovering more information about the Shining Crusade, the sustained war against the Whispering Tyrant a millennium ago.”



Lady Morilla snaps open a fan to fend off the room’s growing warmth, meeting eyes with Milo as she adds, “Is it just me or is it getting hot in here?" Clearing her throat, her eyes divert back from Milo to the rest of the group. "Ahem...historically, Taldor is the authority on massive military campaigns, but most texts have undergone extensive revision to serve some political agenda or another. Entering this hidden archive is an excellent opportunity to learn from the real mistakes of the past and apply those lessons to the Mendevian Crusade.

“Remember that you have permission to be in the academy’s library, but not in this secret archive, so do everything you can to avoid being noticed while exploring. In fact, the fewer clues you leave of your passage, the better. Specifically do not steal or destroy any of the library’s contents. A few slip-ups might alert the authorities that someone has been poking around, and too many will give them enough evidence to trace this act to us.”


Muesello opens a drawer in the table and begins pulling out a couple small parcels wrapped in cloth. “Any questions?”

5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Endo grows a bit nervous. Library means being inside and that's not for him.
"Tell me, Muesello, what exactly does that our *ahem* patron want from us to get? Also since we aren't supposed to steal from the library, how do you expect us to get the informations? Just read what we can in such a limited time and then just clear the stage, so to speak?

And the most important question - am I allowed to bring my wolf with me? I guess not, but you never know."


What is in the parcels?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"So your solution to the Society's poor reputation in Taldor is to take liberties with their hospitality in order to break into a private library? Don't misunderstand, as far as I'm concerned if they're too stupid to protect the place properly they deserve to have a bunch of scruffy herberts traipsing through it. I'm just wondering if you can hear the stuff that's coming out of your mouth?"

Hiram's good mood abates a bit. "One question, if I may. If you're insisting we don't pinch anything, then what the hells is in this job for us, what?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muesello listens to Endo's questions and replies patiently in a quiet but well spoken voice. "It is like I said, lad. You must recover any texts you find about the Shining Crusade and the sustained war against the Whispering Tyrant. The Society believes these books could provide invaluable information about our enemies weaknesses or perhaps lead to the uncovering of some long-lost relic. Either of which could prove decisive in turning the tide of the battle raging up at the Worldwound!"

He then muses at the cavalier's nervous question about bringing his animal. "Fine wolf you have there, but I doubt they'll be too excited to have it roaming around the library. I imagine you'll have to be very convincing and prove the little fellow there is extremely well trained."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muesello turns to Hiram and nods, not flustered by the rogue's blunt approach. "Yes, well you do have a good grasp on the sensitivies of this particular mission, young man. All the more reason for you not to get caught, hmmm? As for payment, yes we know you lot usually get your reward by keeping whatever you find and pick up on the way. That won't really be an option this time, of course. We'll make sure you get rewarded for your efforts, however, either directly or through one of our...erm, benefactors."

As the man speaks, the group can't help but notice he holds a sealed scroll in one hand which he withdrew from the drawers earlier,

Know (nobility) check to identify the seal.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muesello then continues after a brief pause for any further questions. "I imagine you are all wondering what sort of threats or defenses you might encounter and how you should avoid getting caught, am I right? Well if the archive is truly secret, then it’s unlikely that you will encounter many people. I imagine there might be traps, so be careful and resourceful. As for avoiding detection, I might let the lady answer that one...”

Lady Morilla stands up and addresses the group. "Yes. Thank you Muesello. Tomorrow evening, the Kitharodian Academy will host an extravagant orchestral performance in celebration of the Grand Prince’s birthday. Such an event should last several hours, and if rumors are to be believed, the Kitharodian’s finest intend to play a complex medley of Taldor’s greatest songs. Several of these are rather dramatic at times, and the sound should drown out any noise you make. With any luck, the performance will also draw away most of the guards.”

Muesello then slides the cloth-wrapped parcels toward you. “This one,” he says, tapping the first parcel, “contains a deck of illusions that I am in the process of modifying; instead of each card creating a random creature, each one creates a copy of one of you. The illusions won’t interact with anyone, but they can pretend to be reading and deceive the casual observer. Each only lasts for two hours, though. Stick a card to the bottom of a chair to create the illusion, and don’t forget to remove the card when you’re done. The other package contains several potions in case of emergency.”
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo has been most excited about finally letting his friends see him in action in Taldor, his home of homes, although the absence of Ozzg has gotten him worried. However, as word reached them that the Lady Morilla herself would be attending the briefing Milo decided to dress up in his finest clothing and, oh yes, he's definitely wearing a bit of eyeliner. Just a touch.

Knowledge (nobility) 1d20+8 = (20) + 8 = 28

Milo peers at the seal, trying to see if he can place it.

"Forgive my friends. It's politics we're talking about, and it tends to confuse them. But do not worry, you know we've got this in hand. Why, m'Lady, you've seen me I mean us in action before. I will, of course, regret not being able to do my part on the stage in celebration of the Grand Prince, but hopefully those that do show up will have sufficient talent to distract the audience from their grief in not seeing me.

The deck, wonderful, splendid idea, well done. And the potions in question are...?

And before I forget, this library, with its secrets underneath, it's not built on top of some ancient burial ground or forgotten about portal to another dimension?"
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541967. residue
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (20) + 8 =
  • 28
  • Knowledge (nobility)
  • Sat May 3, 2014 3:57 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo's intimate knowledge of Taldor nobility easily identifies the seal on the scroll as that of Princess Eutropia—Grand Prince Stavian III’s only child, who has been maneuvering to take the throne upon his death, despite the nation’s tradition of crowning a male heir.

Muesello waves away Milo's concerns about the library being built on top of some inter-dimensional portal or some sort of cursed site. "Ha! I seen you've been to the Blakros Museum then, hmmm? No, nothing like that here, fellows...or at least not as far as I know." He hesitates a moment before adding. "I do, however, have little doubt that we’re performing some small piece of a larger political plan, even if we benefit from the service. That said, I would hate to lose an entire team of promising Pathfinders. If you must, use this as a bargaining chip…” He then hands over the scroll case, “Nearly anyone you meet will look at you more favorably if you surrender it, but doing so would certainly risk our friend’s cover. I’m giving it to you because I trust your discretion in the matter.”

Milo's familiarity with Lady Morrilla enables him to notice a moment's discomfort at Muesello’s notion of exchanging the scroll tube for freedom, but she quickly suppresses her dismay.

The scroll tube contains an unsigned letter that describes many of the mission’s details from Princess Eutropia’s perspective as well as a formal request signed by the Arch-Exarch Gregorius to admit the
bearers to the Kitharodian Academy’s rare books collection. The princess’s letter also explains that the Pathfinders can find the hidden entrance to the archive by studying honor, courage, and glory.

Muesello’s second package contains a potion of invisibility and a potion of pass without trace as well as a vial that contains a single dose of dust of illusion. The modified deck of illusions contains one card for each party member, even Mr. Snuggles.

Muesello makes sure that the group receive the magic items, the letters, and several dozen sheets of paper with writing utensils before calling the meeting to an end.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo throws back his head to erupt a short high pitched laughter at the mentioning of the Blakros museum. "Yes, the Blakros. Ooh, good times, good times..."

He clears his throat and steps forward to accept the scroll case, looking past the VC towards Lady Morrilla and smiling reassuringly. "I'd say something about us rather dying than giving up your secrets but... that would be a slight exaggeration. We will, however, try to make sure this won't be needed."

Going over the inventory Milo whoops. "Looks like you'll finally be able to sneak around without getting spotted at once Hiram, what?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Gloriana Morilla smiles awkwardly at the mention of secrets but keeps her lips pressed shut. As the group start to head out, however, she grabs Milo by the arm and whispers in his ear, beckoning him stay back a moment to talk in private.

VC Muesello advises the group will have approximately 1 day to purchase supplies, prepare spells, and get ready for their mission.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With a bow Milo kisses the lady on her hand after their little conversation and then he joins the others, hmming softly. "So, Indo, looks like you're the giant this time." he says then suddenly, grinning up at the monk.

We're one unhappy accident away from being the Band of Halflings we envisioned...
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indo smiles back down at Milo, "We are all giants in one way or another, my friend. Physical size is but one of the more obvious attributes. You are a giant on the stage in a way that I could never be."

Indo looks around and then speaks to the rest of the group, "Has anyone heard from His Majesty? While I do not miss his culinary habits, his sword has been a great help to us."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The following evening...

The Kitharodian Academy sits atop the northern cliffs of Oppara and has an impressive view of the Porthmos River valley. The school boasts architecture as lovely as its music, and elegant domes, towers, and columns adorn the principle music hall. On the night of the performance, mirror-focused lanterns and dancing lights illuminate the structure, making the academy a radiant beacon of Taldor’s greatness.

Colloquially called “the Kith,” this bard college is the largest in the city, and ranks among the largest on Golarion. Although this grand academy allows all souls that wishes to enroll the chance to prove themselves, students must adhere to a code of education and rigorous self discipline. Each department advisor sets forth the graduation requirements for their students.

The Pathfinders approach to just outside the Kitharodian Academy, where crowds of commoners and nobility alike jostle to enter the music hall. The group has no difficulty pushing their way into the increasingly crowded building. All that remains is locating the library itself somewhere inside the complex.

How are you going to try and locate the library?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo's been a bit apprehensive about visiting the Kith, muttering something about expulsion due to a misunderstanding of some consequence. "It's been far too long since I was here the last time. And when I was here I didn't bother with any libraries, oh no, I had my mind and, quite frankly, body, set on other things."

Lazy attempt to use Know (Local) to locate library? 1d20+7 = (3) + 7 = 10
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542585. residue
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (3) + 7 =
  • 10
  • Lazy attempt to use Know (Local) to locate library?
  • Mon May 5, 2014 5:11 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. Bad roll.

Milo's rather hazy recollections of his time at the Kith unfortunately don't include the precise location of the library. He only manages to recall the directions to the kitchens, the den and perhaps most importantly the female dormitory areas.

Want to try another approach to coming up with the directions? Either way you will get there eventually, but this scenario is a timed one (in game time) and just stumbling your way to the library will eat up a portion of your valuable time limit to complete your objectives covertly.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was a combat roll. Well, I'd suggest just asking someone.

While recalling some parts of the academy causes a few tingling sensations for Milo, he really has no idea where the library might be at. Quite frankly, that someone decided to place a library here instead of a, for instance, respectable ale house, is a source of irritation. "Blast this. Lets grab one of the more intellectual looking would-be bards and have him or her show us the way. And by intellectual looking I mean boring."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cobbz20 wrote:
Indo smiles back down at Milo, "We are all giants in one way or another, my friend. Physical size is but one of the more obvious attributes. You are a giant on the stage in a way that I could never be."
Hiram mimes sticking his fingers down his throat and retching behind Indo's back.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
residue wrote:
While recalling some parts of the academy causes a few tingling sensations for Milo, he really has no idea where the library might be at. Quite frankly, that someone decided to place a library here instead of a, for instance, respectable ale house, is a source of irritation. "Blast this. Lets grab one of the more intellectual looking would-be bards and have him or her show us the way. And by intellectual looking I mean boring."
Hiram nods cheerfully, the prospect of a little light breaking and entry brightening his mood considerably. "Works for me, old chap."

He starts to case the joint for anyone suitably nerdy- and credulous-looking.

Perception (take 10) 10+10 = 10 + 10 = 20

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542896. Rodafowa
  • 10+10 =
  • 10 + 10 =
  • 20
  • Perception (take 10)
  • Tue May 6, 2014 9:24 am
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram easily manages to find someone who looks like they are part of the Kitharodian staff. A woman who seems to be ushering patrons towards the concert hall.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Excuse me miss... my pardon." says Milo, pushing aside some of the gentry. "Pleased to meet you, Milo Montajay, alumni. Me and my associates are looking for the library, rare books section. I have a document here, our permission slip, as it were. Would you be so kind as to show us the way?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to need a diplomacy check, even with the letter. The woman is clearly busy performing her official duties for the evening.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo wiggles his eyebrows a bit, since that always did the trick, back in the day.

Diplomacy by any other means.... 1d20+8 = (2) + 8 = 10

Flip. Table.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542922. residue
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (2) + 8 =
  • 10
  • Diplomacy by any other means....
  • Tue May 6, 2014 11:35 am
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Endo jumps in with his smile.
"Excuse me, madam, but we're being pressured by time and we'd really like to get the directions to the library. "

Diplomatic halfling is diplomatic 1d20+8 = (20) + 8 = 28

C-c-c-critical hit!
But none of them will show in combat, amirite, diceroller?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542935. Vladimir17
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (20) + 8 =
  • 28
  • Diplomatic halfling is diplomatic
  • Tue May 6, 2014 12:06 pm
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obivously not at all in tune with the rest of the sentient world today Milo looks at Endo with irritation but with a roll of his eyes and a sad little shrug he steps aside to let the cavalier do his thing. He looks back at the others and makes a face, as if trying to tell them to watch closely how poor little Endo crashes and burns.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |