Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
144 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

B1-9: In Search of Adventure» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] D&D Basic: In Search of Adventure PbF (mature) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello gentlemen,

This is our official IC thread for our PbF game. I am going to post some informational posts here in a few minutes, and I will then link you to it from the OOC thread.

For those who are not in the game, please refrain from posting in the IC thread. You are all very welcome to post in the OOC thread.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our world:

I wanted to discuss the game world and our play style a little more. What I am intending to run here is a game in which the rules are an after-thought. They will take a back seat to the story. I want to foster a living, breathing world full of living, breathing creatures. Each of them should have their own perspectives on the reality they are living in. This will include them having their own ambitions, desires, fears, hopes, dreams, etc.

To give you an idea of what I am getting at, I am not going to have an orc change targets in the middle of a battle simply because the character they attacked is down. I am going to have an orc do what I think an orc really would do, and deliver a coup de grace before he leaves your corpse behind to go rape and kill your family.

I do not intend to pull any punches based upon a sensitivity for player feelings. I want you guys to know that this world your characters live in is a dangerous one. So, in regards to yourselves and your characters, if you think your guy would want to do something, than try it! Consider their ambitions, desires, hopes, dreams, fears, etc., and play on them as if this person were a real, living individual. Just be prepared to face the consequences for your choices! If you go around knocking off liquor stores, you’ll probably end up shot or in jail. Just sayin’ - food for thought.

Also, there will be little random happenings in this world. If an encounter of reasonable challenge will turn deadly when an NPC hatches a cunning plot, expect it, and do your best to counter it.

In conclusion, we are here to have fun. Just know that it may get gritty from time to time!

Thanks,
Joe
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More on posting:
For this game I would like to have our IC posts formatted primarily in the following:

GM: Third person narrative or omniscient with an ‘OOC:’ attachment for brief ‘out of character’ messages. Verbal text will be in quotations.

Players:

Subject line: Please include your character’s name and class in the subject line. I believe this will help us understand what everyone is doing and saying as the story progresses.

Main post (body): Please describe your character’s thoughts, words, and actions in the narrative first or second person perspective with a brief ‘OOC:’ attachment for ‘out of character’ messages. Verbal text will be in quotations.

• More info can be found on the narrative perspectives online. If you are unfamiliar with them, please take a moment to look them up.


OOC attachment:
If you have a brief out of character question about something in game, or you want to display the results of dice rolls, please do so in your IC post. I believe this will keep the flow of the game going smoothly, as opposed to having to check the OOC thread for every die roll, questions about the environment, etc.

Longer OOC comments/questions, player to player OOC discussion, etc. will be posted in the OOC thread.

OOC dice rolls:
When posting an IC post that will involve an action, which poses the risk of failure, one should feel free to include any pertinent dice roll results. I will then apply what is necessary from the provided results. Here is an example:

Kragor turns in surprise to see the assassin lunge out of the shadows towards Malkor, a gleaming dagger drawn for the attack! With shock and surprise Kragor exclaims “Malkor, look out!” He then shifts his weight onto the balls of his feet as he prepares to draw his sword, and move to attack the assassin!

(OOC): Kragor attacks with his longsword


Attack roll 1d20 = (14) = 14
Damage roll 1d6 = (4) = 4


From this example you can see that the damage roll was included prior to knowledge of whether or not the attack was successful. This way, if the attack is successfull, then we don't have to await an additional post. If the attack missed, we can just disregard the damage roll.

If a player ever states that their character will listen, pick a lock, hide in shadows, cast a spell, etc. that player may go ahead and include any relevant rolls.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 538280. Jujutsuka
  • 1d20 =
  • (14) =
  • 14
  • Attack roll
  • Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 am
  • [+]
  • 538281. Jujutsuka
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Damage roll
  • Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 am
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM: Opening scene: 5/1/786 9:43 pm


After arriving at their destination, the northern city of Threshold, the companions found that the city gates have recently become sealed for the night. Deciding to wait for entry in the morning, they set camp just off of the main road outside of the southern gate.

Their journey, which had begun at their home city, Spekholm, was not a long one, and had only taken them four days. However, it felt much longer as the steady rainfall dampened their spirits along the way. Each of the companions was greatly relieved to be drinking some strong ale and eating fresh game under the open, starry sky on a warm spring night.

The winter back in Spekholm had been a long one, the longest in many a year, and when the companions were asked to accompany their old friend, a local merchant’s son named Stanley, to deliver some goods to Threshold, they practically leapt at the opportunity to get out and see the world once again.

As the party enjoys their dinner around the campfire, they can see another small group of travelers off to the far side of the craggy and rut strewn road. A farmer, with his wife and young daughter, has arrived at the city gate with a large cart full of bailed wheat, which is tied to a team of oxen. The family has kept to themselves, gathered around their camp fire since they arrived shortly after the gates were closed for the night. The farmer appears to be upset that they did not arrive early enough to enter the city before dark, and occasionally he casts a cautious glance towards the party’s camp as he seems intent upon secluding himself and his family to the other side of the road.

Within the city, the many oil lanterns cast a glow from over the wall, and occasionally the laughter from the taverns within can be heard on the cool breeze. The sounds of flowing water drift from the River Windrush, just a short distance east of camp. The rapids make a steady roar as they crash, swollen from the early spring melt.

All is relatively peaceful as the party enjoys the camaraderie and merriment around the campfire.


OOC: Feel free to post any role-playing, character description, non-critical stuff at this point.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ontaro wintser, magic user
Ontaro clears off a little stretch of ground and sits down after finishing his meal and begins to flip through his journal. He appears to study it intently before slamming it shut. "One hour earlier and we could have been inside, and i could have been trying to sneak a peak at some one's library, instead i am out here with you hooligans, and i swear to taranis that that ox just farted at me."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorwen Rienhold, Fighter
To Ontaro, "Don't look at me! Krosus was the one that kept needing to take breaks." Throwing a smirk at Krosus, "The rest of us woulda made it without our anchor."
Looking at the family on the other side of the road, "We should invite them to sit around our fire. Strength in numbers and all. Besides they might be grateful for some strong arms and share their ale with us. Or me."
After a few moments of silence, "Any one want to front me a few coppers for a game of dice?"

(OOC): Dorwen pops the cap off his wine skin and takes a good long pull.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalDekay wrote:


(OOC): Dorwen pops the cap off his wine skin and takes a good long pull.

Stanley eyes Dorwyn's wine skin, and appears to be grateful that his large friend hasn't tapped into the two barrels that came along on the carriage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Basse the Pious , Cleric of Taranis.
Basse smiles at his travel companions idle chit-chat, as he eyes the Family on the other side of the road. His eyes slides over each and every one of the small Family, studying and measuring them up. He shrugs and turns to Stanley, while speaking out rather loudly. "Stanley?, is there anything in these here surroundings, which should warrant a devout follower of Taranis, to worry?"

Without taking his gaze from Stanley, he fumbles inside his priestly garments, for a few seconds. The hand comes out holding a few(10) coppers, which he hands to Dorwen

OOC: Basse tries to raise his voice, to a level where the Family on the other side of the road, would hear him and his Words.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ontaro Wintser, Magic User
Ontaro scoffs at Basse's clericness and contemplates his memorized Charm Person spell.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris_lib wrote:
Basse smiles at his travel companions idle chit-chat, as he eyes the Family on the other side of the road. His eyes slides over each and every one of the small Family, studying and measuring them up. He shrugs and turns to Stanley, while speaking out rather loudly. "Stanley?, is there anything in these here surroundings, which should warrant a devout follower of Taranis, to worry?"

Without taking his gaze from Stanley, he fumbles inside his priestly garments, for a few seconds. The hand comes out holding a few coppers, which he hands to Dorwen

OOC: Basse tries to raise his voice, to a level where the Family on the other side of the road, would hear him and his Words.

OOC: Please see my reply in the OOC thread.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GM, regarding BASSE's actions
Chris_lib wrote:
Basse smiles at his travel companions idle chit-chat, as he eyes the Family on the other side of the road. His eyes slides over each and every one of the small Family, studying and measuring them up. He shrugs and turns to Stanley, while speaking out rather loudly. "Stanley?, is there anything in these here surroundings, which should warrant a devout follower of Taranis, to worry?"

OOC: Basse tries to raise his voice, to a level where the Family on the other side of the road, would hear him and his Words.

OOC: I'll respond to this in a little while. I want to give George and Lucas a chance to get their first posts in.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM: spell prep
madmanw wrote:
Ontaro scoffs at Basse's clericness and begins to memorize Charm Person

OOC: See my reply in the OOC thread.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Krosus, Fighter
Krosus clambers onto a large rock nearby and begins settling his things around him, preparing for the first watch. Without looking up, he quips, "Oi! I'm not that slow! Besides, I was... guarding the rear."

Glancing up, he adds, "Ontaro, that ox must really fancy you if he's blowing you kisses like that. I'd sleep with one eye open, mate..."

OOC: How close are we to the city walls / gate?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garam, Halfling-Thief
Garam tightens his belt and looks upon the game about to begin with some disdain.

"Oh, sure, wait until I'm completely broke before you start playing. It's bad enough I had to borrow 5 GP for this sorry excuse for food."

He shakes his standard rations pack at you. His face is sour.

"Brandobaris is mad at me for something these days. Wish I knew what it was." Garam is referring to the halfling god of thieves, whom he ardently believes in.

Finally, Garam looks over towards the family.

"Aye, but look at that sweet lass down there. And those huge....bags of wheat."

A grin. He looks around to see if any of you notice him getting up to walk over to the family.

"Anyone fancy some griddlecakes?"

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM: Opening scene; 5/1/786, 9:43 pm


Stanley reaches down next to the stump he is sitting on to pick up his travel pack. As he reaches in the pack to retrieve his set of hand-carved bone dice, he says to Basse "No need to worry on this night, I doubt anything dangerous would be so brazen as to approach this close to the gates of Threshold." He then stands up and begins to move toward Dorwyn, "I'd be happy to take your..., or Basse's copper." He says with a sly grin.

With the party camped a mere 20 paces from the foot of the wall, the companions are able to observe the occasional guard looking out over the parapets.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ontaro, magic user exrtordinaire
Ontaro is getting impatient and decides to cast charm person on the next guard that looks important looking.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garam, Halfling-Thief
Garam intends to walk straight over the family, smiling, hands out in the open. If anyone want to join him, say so, otherwise he'll start talking...

"Good evening, great sir, and a doubly fine evening to your ladies!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
He nods to Stanley, and eyes Garam's back, as he heads toward the small Family.

Basse Remembers Garam's remark about the sweet lass, and hastens after Garam, while trying to push the thoughts of the female flesh from his mind.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
Garam intends to walk straight over the family, smiling, hands out in the open. If anyone want to join him, say so, otherwise he'll start talking...

"Good evening, great sir, and a doubly fine evening to your ladies!"


OOC: alright George, I'm gonna put you on pause here. Once we have had some additional responses to the scene, I'll post a reply to Garam's and Basse's actions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Krosus, Fighter
Watching the developing activity, Krosus hunkers down on the rock and hangs his head in resignation.

Looking up, he calls out (blatantly over-loud): "Try not to frighten the locals, Garam! Don't forget the drubbing that old woman gave you last week!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garam speaking to the farmers
greekramos wrote:
Garam intends to walk straight over the family, smiling, hands out in the open. If anyone want to join him, say so, otherwise he'll start talking...

"Good evening, great sir, and a doubly fine evening to your ladies!"

OOC: The other camp is approximately 25-30 meters from yours. In order to communicate verbally right away, you would practically be shouting. Did you want to shout from the dark, across from the road, or would you prefer to get closer to the other camp before you say anything to them?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garam, Halfling Thief
Garam's little voice barely registers above the din from within the city gates. He keeps walking, though, waving and smiling in a cheerful, non-threatening way.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorwen Rienhold, Fighter
Not wanting to be left out of any revelry, especially if a comely farmer's daughter is involved, and fearing Garam might get plenty of bruises when he tries to "lighten" the farmer's load, Dorwen hops up to join the others in introducing himself to the travelers. In doing so, he casts a quick shoulder shrug at Stanley and mouths "Next time".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moreau
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM: Opening scene; 5/1/786, 9:44 pm

greekramos wrote:
"Aye, but look at that sweet lass down there..."

OOC: The girl doesn’t appear to be more than 11 years old.

The companions soon become boisterous, as young men are known to do from time to time; those looking across the road can see the farmer watching them with a stern expression. He says something quietly to his wife and it appears that she and the young girl begin to lay out their bedrolls on the far side of the cart.

Chris_lib wrote:
He (Basse) nods to Stanley, and eyes Garam's back, as he heads toward the small Family.
Basse Remembers Garam's remark about the sweet lass, and hastens after Garam, while trying to push the thoughts of the female flesh from his mind.

Those of you who observe Garam as he stands up and leaves the campsite see him fade into the darkness as he steps out of the firelight.

While Garam walks into the darkness, his keen eyes begin to adjust to the radiance of the crescent moon. He can see the stars shining brightly overhead as he strolls out into the cool night air, the sound of crackling firewood soon replaced with the chirp of crickets. As Garam approaches the rut strewn road between the camps he calls "Good evening, great sir, and a doubly fine evening to your ladies!" in a cheerful tone of voice.

Meanwhile, Basse the Pious nods to Stanley, resigning himself to the fate of his loaned copper pieces. Suddenly, as he fully contemplates what Garam may be up to, his expression changes to one of concern, and he starts off after his short friend.

On the other side of the road the farmer stands up once he hears Garam’s greeting, and moves closer to the cart that is adjacent to the road. His left hand seems to rest upon something behind the cart, and he calls out in response, “Aye, good evening young man… How can I be of service to you?”

Back at the campfire, Dorwyn, seeing an opportunity for potential entertainment, moves to follow Basse in pursuit of Garam, and Stanley looks up from his seat to shake his head incredulously as he laughs to himself. Upon the large boulder at the far side of camp, Krosus of the Isles is perched, intent to keep a watchful eye over the party. And Ontaro Wintser remains seated next to the fire with his gaze trained on the top of the city wall, the scars on the back of his head taking on an eerie sheen in the firelight.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
While walking the few steps in darkness, Basse ensures that his holy symbol the Wheel is proudly showing, hoping that the holy sigil will offer some sort of consolation, for the small Family.

as Basse enters into the light of the farmers camp fire, he Towers up behind Garam's smaller frame, and smiles his most reassuring smile to the camps owners.

"Taranis's Peace to you" leaves his lips, while he nods to the small Family.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |