Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
284 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 4-25: The Secrets Stones Keep» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eddie's PFS game #4-25, Glories of the Past Part 3 IC thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a Pathfinder Society game, using:

Pathfinder Society Scenario #4-25, Glories of the Past, Part 3: The Secrets of Stone Keep

The players:
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb

Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the In Character thread, where the magic & sword fighting & talking &...all happen.

If you are just browsing this thread and have questions or want to get in on a sanctioned Society game, check out our guild here.

Link to the OOC thread

What has gone before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Our story so far...
Quote:
Long ago, when the dwarves completed their Quest for Sky, they erected 10 great structures known as Sky Citadels. Spread across the Inner Sea region, these 10 fortresses each held a special stone monument, a stele marked with runes representing the other nine stones. Through these steles, the Sky Citadels could contact one another despite the leagues between them. Today, only six of these Sky Citadels— Dongun Hold, Highhelm, Janderhoff, Koldukar, Kraggodan, and Kravenkus—are known to scholars, and not all have weathered the millennia equally. The locations of the four lost sky citadels are of greatly interest to the Pathfinder Society. When Pathfinder agents retrieved a partially damaged stele from an unearthed chamber beneath Janderhoff, the Decemvirate studied it and soon surmised that a working sister stele existed in the dwarven ruins of Koldukar. Unfortunately, the orc city of Urgir rests atop the conquered ruins of the former Sky Citadel, making exploration nearly impossible.

Knowing that they could not simply send agents marching through the Hold of Belkzen and into Urgir, the Decemvirate first sent Pathfinders into the “friendlier” orc settlement of Urglin, a city in eastern Varisia. There the Pathfinders were able to retrace the steps of the famous Eando Kline, deal with one of his old rivals, and secure a reliable guide who would show them the secret way into Koldukar without having to enter Urgir itself.

The group, having rescued their guide Gulros from slavery, has been given horses loaded with supplies for the overland journey from VC Heidmarch. Wasting no time, the group sets out, wary of their journey being discovered as they draw closer to Urgir.

Gulros is as good as his word, though, and the journey to Koldukar is largely uneventful, though at times Gulros directs the group to take cover to avoid mountain orcs or leads through winding arroyos to stay out of sight. Following 2 weeks of travel, the group reaches the entrance to some tunnels.

Gulros stops, and says: "Here we are. These passages will lead you to Koldukar. The orcs of Urgir know of these tunnels, but rarely use them, since we're still a few miles from the city. Plus, they are to small for wagons or carts, and not fit for pack animals--really not useful for trade or large warbands.

"It's here I would like to leave you. If I'm discovered by Urgir orcs, I may be recognized as Ploog's slave. Instead, I'll take the horses and head south. I'll hide them about a mile south of here, and make sure they stay safe. I'll wait for you to return for a month. After that, I'll leave.

"Is that acceptable?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'd much rather you stick with us, lad. There is safety in numbers and we may need your help."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder Fizzlefinger

Flinder wouldn't mind having him leave, he isn't sure if he can be trusted.

Perception 1d20+5 = (18) + 5 = 23
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 531539. Narl
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (18) + 5 =
  • Perception
  • Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 am
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

Flinder actually gets a good feeling off the guy. It seems he's being very honest about it--him tagging along is likely to cause more problems than it will help solve with the locals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well..I won't think ill of you either way. So long as you do wait the entire month before running off with our horses!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

With a nod, the orc leads the horses away, clearly eager to put distance between himself and Ploog's influence. A bit of careful watching by the group reveals he is in fact going where he said, and makes a camp in a heavily wooded area, not easily seen by the trails.

Satisfied that the horses are safe, the group reassembles at the cave entrance--gray rock with a gray sand floor (made from flaking gray rock) awaits their planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin shakes hand with Gulros and says: "Thanks, you've been of great help!"

Then he goes on to study a little the entrance, checking for traps of course, but also to see if he can deduce the kind of caves they're going to get into.

Perception 1d20+8 = (1) + 8 = 9

Dungeoneering 1d20+7 = (18) + 7 = 25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 531995. Shadow Hexagram
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (1) + 8 =
  • Perception
  • Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:10 am
  • [+]
  • 531998. Shadow Hexagram
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (18) + 7 =
  • Dungeoneering
  • Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:10 am
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
that's an odd combination of rolls

While Célestin isn't seeing any specifics, it seems likely to him that this is a quarried tunnel, expanded from whatever it was and chipped away--accounting for the floor. It's likely to be patrolled, and unlikely to hold territorial wandering monsters, as it lacks any sign of the usual habitat such things that lurk in caves prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Weird indeed! I wanted to use my dungeoneering skill a little!

Célestin reports what he got to his friends and says "Could anyone help me look for traps please?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder steps a bit nearer and starts to rub his chin while he checks it for magic. His eyes may not be as good as his magical sense but he will try.

"Let see yes... "Perception 1d20+3 = (10) + 3 = 13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 532978. Narl
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (10) + 3 =
  • Perception
  • Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder concludes it is in fact a cave, probably started natural but was enlarged, and there's a lot of rock in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
"Let's go then!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Pathfinders examine the cave, the sound of a horse can be heard riding back from the direction where Gulros just left the group on their own. Coming into view is a stunningly beautiful female elf in a shining chain shirt, a fine purple robe and long brown hair flowing behind her.

As she dismounts, an extremely sharp looking scimitar can be seen sheathed at her hip. She also sports some impressive jewelery, including a strange black amulet that seems to cling to the skin just above her breasts and a jewelled band that she wears on her head.

Brushing back her hair with a flick she looks the group up and down and gives a mishievous smile. "Well met! I'm Thoriel. I received a call you needed help on this mission, so I came as fast as I could. I must say it's nice to get back out in the world, it seems I've been stuck underground for absolute ages!" The elf's gaze then drifts to the cave entrance and a touch of her joy seems to drain. "So, er...please tell me that's not where we're going? I was sort of hoping for a little fresh air!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder hadn't anticipated such beauty out here and is momentarily stunned. For just a moment he forgot his lost love, then he scolds himself for doing so.

"Ah, yes... Nice meeting you, yes. Thoriel. So you're a pathfinder as well, yes? I'm Flinder Fizzlefinger, yes, nice meeting you indeed."

He can't help being drawn to her eyes all the time and forces himself to look at the cave again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin's heart skips a beat when he sets his eyes on Thoriel, and with a slight blush and a very elaborate bow, he presents himself.

"I am Célestin Valette, swashbuckler, at your service. My very good friend here, Flinder, has already presented himself and I'll let my other friends do so as well.

It is an honour to have you with us as, I'm afraid, we will indeed have to get in there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnawing on a piece of dried fruit, Thekk looks up suddenly. "Huh? Where'd she come from?" He's convinced that his snack may have somehow fermented in his pack. He finishes eating it regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

The newly formed group sets forth into the caverns, hoping for the secret path to the forgotten dwarven ruin...

The group's light reveals nothing but the monotony of cavern terrain—gray sand, gray walls, and gray rocks. Occasionally, this gray-on-gray color scheme is broken by the appearance of occasional broken weapons and bits of clothing spattered with dried blood. There is little sound other than the crunch of the group's steps on the gravel as they move on for the first 30 minutes or so...

going as a group, with a scout, anyone trailing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Taking advantage of his trap finding abilities, Célestin enters first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoriel accepts the welcomes of Célestin and Flinder with a radiant smile before unselfconsciously adjusting her purple cloak over her shoulders and shaking her hair into place.

With a raised eyebrow, she looks down her nose at the dwarf and then follows Célestin into the cave, beckoning the friendly halfling to join her. "Shall we, friend Flinder?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
A while later, no traps to be found, the tunnel turns and twists, finally it opens into a slightly wider stretch of cavern. A few sparse torches light the area, which extends on into deep darkness (beyond the range of darkvision: 60 ft, from the group, anyway).

At the cavern’s center 60 ft away is a standard. Constructed from a column of giant vertebrae, the standard is planted into the sandy floor. An intact femur forms the standard’s cross beam, and a sheet of purple cloth hangs from its knobby prominences. An image of an orc skull almost entirely encircled by coiled spinal column is emblazoned across the banner’s center.

know: nobility DC 15 for more info, if desired
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin, not knowledgeable in Ork heraldry decides to be on the look out for traps - not the kind that goes click-&-boom, but more like an ambush.

Perception 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 535290. Shadow Hexagram
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (11) + 8 =
  • Perception
  • Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
Célestin, not knowledgeable in Ork heraldry decides to be on the look out for traps - not the kind that goes click-&-boom, but more like an ambush.

Shadow Hexagram previously rolled 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19 (Perception)

Célestin thinks he hears the clink of metal from behind a few different rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin signals they're being ambushed to his friends in a Pathfinder Society Fashion so that their new friends can understand and draws his rapier, taking in the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossbow loaded, Thekk follows.