The Enemy Within Campaign Volume 1: Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Manual of the Planes
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Greyhawk Adventures
Trail of Cthulhu
Eberron Player's Guide
Ivinia: The Viking Lands
Skull & Crossbones
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Dinky Dungeons
The Book of Magecraft
The Rjurik Highlands
Spookshow
HR5: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook
Starchildren: Velvet Generation
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2.x
R2: The Investigation of Hydell
Apocalypse World
Luck of the Draw
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Navigation:

Scene 1: The Bangor Briefing
Scene 2: Port Authority?
Scene 3: The Unhelpful Mr Warner

(to be continued)

Even with the resources of S.T.A.M.P. at your disposal, it takes you a good while to reach Bangor. Still, entering the US with all your personal gear unmolested feels like a win, so you take the waiting time in transit in stride.

The safe house is a mide-size brownstone affair, declared as a warehouse for some mail-order service, and used as a staging ground for S.T.A.M.P. missions to New England as well as eastern Canada.

Its minder is Agent Broadbent, a quiet and efficient man, who seems to have dropped out of active field service: "So don't expect me to come in with blazing guns if you mess up." He lays out some new Canadian passports for you all, and asks whether you have given your cover any thought. He could whip up some other ID on the fly, if you know what it is that you want.

"Oh, and when you drive up to St. John, at the border you should use Gate 7. And practice saying 'eh' while you are still here, alright?"

Each of you, answer one of the following questions along with your first post:
* During the trip, you kept thinking about one of the other recruits who joined a different team. Why do you think you will never see them again?
* What did you learn about one of your team members that really cemented your initial impression of them?
* Coming into Bangor, you had a strange case of déjà vu. What was it?

What do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RPG Geek PbF Initiative 2014 Table 2: 'Port St. John'
What did you learn about one of your team members that really cemented your initial impression of them?

Well I was after thinking Simon must have some kind of secret. Some deep hidden inner Wright that had monster kicking flowing in its blood. His cover is so brilliant though I've been havin' trouble deciphering what it is.

After watching him travel though I've decided it must be even more staggering than I thought. The way he handles everything so... normally is already impressive and he only seems to get better at it. I mean when we got on that great flying ship he didn't so much as balk an' was always so polite 'bout telling me to stop pointing at the wonderful lil' teevees in the chairs.

I bet that bat he carries 'round the place can really crack some skulls too. And that special stench, brings back memories of mucking out the stables it does. It must be some kind of special defense thing he's got going. He's a veritable walking army under that everyday exterior and I haven't even discovered his true skills yet!

Can't wait 'til we get down to the hunt and I get to see what my lil' cousin can really do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Its minder is Agent Broadbent, a quiet and efficient man, who seems to have dropped out of active field service: "So don't expect me to come in with blazing guns if you mess up." He lays out some new Canadian passports for you all, and asks whether you have given your cover any thought. He could whip up some other ID on the fly, if you know what it is that you want.

"Well a few of the folk back at the Iceberg place said somethin' bout amnesia or asylum time being my best cover. Not too sure what they're on about but if that would work...."

Not sure if we ought to put this in the OOC thread or not but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. I didn't seen you lads around the bar too much so I don't know what your posting rate is like. We should probably work out how often we're around so nobody gets left behind or goes steaming ahead. I'm usually good for a couple posts a day depending on how much life gets in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually pretty good for multiple posts a day, but some days that may not be able to occur. Haven't been hanging around the bar because 90 posts a day is way too much to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that they're in a secure location and near enough the actual location, Pete speaks up about there mission. Yes, that's a great idea if you want to be thrown in an asylum.

About our actual mission. STAMP found a picture pile of human skeletons dressed up in worker uniforms on some thing called the internet. Apparently, intel's budget got cut, so that's the only lead we have. The guy who took the photos goes by Eric Warner, and is a clerk at the port admin office.

So, for information gathering, I see two possible covers. One is dressing up as the RCMP, aka the mounties. The other is newspapermen. There may be others. Does anyone have any useful questions, suggestions, or comments on this matter?
Peter asks, pausing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Now that they're in a secure location and near enough the actual location, Pete speaks up about there mission. Yes, that's a great idea if you want to be thrown in an asylum.

About our actual mission. STAMP found a picture pile of human skeletons dressed up in worker uniforms on some thing called the internet. Apparently, intel's budget got cut, so that's the only lead we have. The guy who took the photos goes by Eric Warner, and is a clerk at the port admin office.

So, for information gathering, I see two possible covers. One is dressing up as the RCMP, aka the mounties. The other is newspapermen. There may be others. Does anyone have any useful questions, suggestions, or comments on this matter?
Peter asks, pausing.

"Skeletons, eh?" Ned pauses, soaking the information in takes longer as he tries to match up any unfamiliar words to various explanations he's gotten over the last two weeks.

"Well if those 'mounties' are anything like what I've heard then that could be a good excuse for carrying weapons. Not to mention keeping any innocent folk from getting all riled up. Assuming of course Mister Broadbent here can fix us up with the proper stuff to carry it off." He suggests, nodding his head towards the agent who gave them the IDs before continuing.

"We need those passport things for guns too? I heard you folk think different about who is allowed to have 'em nowadays. Suppose my hatchets alright though."

He sounds slightly shocked by the idea of having to be 'allowed' to carry his shotgun but soon goes back to checking over his weapons and occasionally inspecting the strange little booklet with his picture in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete -

Agent Broadbent rolls his eyes at you over what he clearly think is odd behavior as soon as the time-shifted agent turns away.
"Sure, I can staff you out as mounties, but without the moose and the hat, m'okay? Newspapermen is easier even, and less likely to go deep south, you know? I think journos with certain... eccentricities can pass more easily than certified schizophrenic mounties."

Another shrug.

"Your call."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter waits for his compatriots to speak up about the matter, and hearing (presuming) no further comments, makes his decision.

Okay, then. Newspapermen it is. But pack the RCMP outfits as a backup, OK? And I want a "Canadian Lumberjack" as well.

Not sure about gun laws in Canada. You make a good point, Ned. We may have to go concealed.

There are three of us, so I assume that we'll have 1 man in the car ready for evacuation or backup, while the other two go up front and ask the questions and all. How does that sound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Peter waits for his compatriots to speak up about the matter, and hearing (presuming) no further comments, makes his decision.

Okay, then. Newspapermen it is. But pack the RCMP outfits as a backup, OK? And I want a "Canadian Lumberjack" as well.

Not sure about gun laws in Canada. You make a good point, Ned. We may have to go concealed.

There are three of us, so I assume that we'll have 1 man in the car ready for evacuation or backup, while the other two go up front and ask the questions and all. How does that sound?

Ned shrugs, mounties or newspapermen, he didn't care as long as he got to keep his gun. Whatever got them hunting the soonest would always be best, there could be folks in trouble even as they sat talking.

"Fine, assuming of course I ain't the one in the car. They aren't much like carts, or even ships, by the looks of it. And we have those wonderful talkies case there's trouble an' we need the third man. Course we might need all three to begin with, I've had my own fair share of witness questioning turn sour."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm... Peter wonders what Ned's talking about for a moment, before remembering that he's some sort of a South American Pirate from way back when.

Oh, right! You're that guy who got time warped or something. But you're fully human, right?

Still, good idea on the comms idea. Agent Broadbent, could we have some of those invisible earpieces and mouthpieces? Forget what you call them.

But, about that gun...
Peter looks at that incredibly ancient thing of whose barrel end he can't even discern...

I don't think that's concealable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fully human? Should think so, mate! I mean I'm not like any of those beasties if that's what you're saying. I should be the one asking really, I mean some of you folk now even have extra legs!" He stops only to flash an extra wide grin. "Doesn't matter to me, long as we're on the same side I couldn't give a shite."

Ned just manages to follow Pete as he rattles off the instructions about the ear pieces thanks to his experience with the strange devices during training where so many of the agents had them. It had been disappointing at first to find out they weren't actually able to hear each others' thoughts but rather had to talk through the wee gadgets but it was still the next best thing.

At the mention of his weapon though, Ned is ready to join in. "Concealable? Not really. 'Fraid I left my pistol at home too. Then again the pistols I've seen 'round the place are pretty different from what I had so it might not have been the best anyway. My knife's easy enough to hide though, does that count?"

He pauses and glances down at his beloved shotgun before looking back up at Pete. "Wait, you're not suggesting I leave it behind, are you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Broadbent clears his throat.

"I was sayin', use Gate 7 at the border crossing. That should help you avoid scrutiny, and allow you all to hold on to all your gear, however... unwieldy. Conceal it in your car when you are doing recce, I'd suggest.
I'll be fixing some IDs for you now, for the, say, Halifax Herald? I'll throw a semi-pro camera onto the gear pile along with some audio equipment. Keep your first names for now, it's too easy for recruits to mess up the cover if you go with complete aliases.
I'll man the phone, got me a nice Canadian extension here, in the likely case anybody doubts your credentials. RCMP badges too, sure, but keep in mind what I said about the risks."

He jots down some notes (presumably for forging your documents in a moment), and then proceeds to introduce you to an ingenious arrangement of lapel pin mikes and near-transparent ear-plug receivers.

"Range is decent, you should be fine. Some standard encryption, and hard to scramble. Just don't mess with DHS and NSA. TSA are a bunch of mooks."

Folks, I will be travelling as of tomorrow, up until next Tuesday. I will make a ginormous effort to drop in once a day on my trusty little phone to keep the pace regular. Just so you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
This is the Sun - Not an Orange.
mb

Simon has been quiet as he is thinking of the flashback he had when he arrived at Bangor. Finally he speaks up

'Newspaper reporter is a great cover for me, I look like a bland office worker....because i am! plus I edited my schools magazine for a while.

I can put my pistol in my pocket and leave my bat in the car, eh!'

Picking up a name badge, Simon pins it in the holes in his shirt......where his last name badge was. He starts to put his ear piece in but has to stop... 'Hee, that tickles a bit'

After giggling like a little girl, he puts the earpiece in place and awaits some sort of test message to make sure it works ok.

While he waits he thinks of these cars he saw on the way in.

I swear I have seen the cars, in those positions, on that road, somewhere before. Where was it. That old lady's face in the diner, looking sad as she lifts her burger to her mouth...

That diner, and the sports shop next to it....

Arrrrgghhhh, remember, remember, where was it! It was all so familiar. That first minute in town was like a dream. Perhaps it was not some where else, perhaps I had been here before...

I am glad Ned is here, Hopefully I can work out if we are family, and if so......well, I don't know. But I plan to question him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best to leave that... Peter glances at Ned's gunAre you sure that's a gun? Anyhow, leave it in the back. I won't touch it. I don't even know how to. The knife's OK. See if you can get some pistol from the armory. They work the same way they used to - pull the trigger, bullet comes out. Keep doing that 'till you stop hearing sounds, and then stick some more bullets inside 'er.

Peter then glances at Simon, who's giggling like a little girl Dammit! Why do I always get the idiot who is going to get himself killed. Guy probably has never even seen a dead guy before. and starts double checking everything. It's clear he's going to be saving someone's rear end some time during this mission, so he's going to need to be prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned looks unsure about the idea of leaving his shotgun anywhere but the thought is quickly shoved to the back of his mind as he goes to investigate the armoury. With an earpiece dangling uselessly in his hand, he marvels at the dazzling array of weapons before picking up pistols one by one and inspecting them curiously.

"These are light as a feather, you sure they can still put a scratch on a beastie? My ole flintlock could really light up the place, granted it wasn't of much use other than as a club after you got your shot off."

I already have three weapons but can I take more because if so Ned is loading down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Broadbent deliberately turns his back on Ned's enthusiastic stroll through the armory. He does make you sign for the revolver, the pistols, the pump-action, and the Uzi, though.

Ned, a Custom Move for you: Whenever you fire a modern gun, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6-, choose one.
* You hit your targets as planned
* You do not endanger any of your allies
* You avoid any mishaps such as malfunctions, running out of ammo, or exposing yourself unduly
* You are now so familiar with this firearm that you do not need to roll on this chart again for it.

Simon, do you follow Ned through the armory? Seems like a good time to "share a moment", or get some bromance going, right? Or would you rather try to get to know Pete a little better?

Pete, yes, there is more levity here than you are used to. You expect that to change once you approach the mission site. Are there any ground rules for your team that you would want to establish now? "Always do, never do? In case of A, ...", stuff like that?

Agent Broadbent now invests his time in his duties as quartermaster, and soon finishes your documents. "There you go, gentlemen - old yous, please meet new yous: Pete Kowalski, Simon MacLean, and Nathaniel Harrison. Enjoy your trip!"

If you got stuff to inquire or words to say, go ahead; otherwise, you are cleared for departure whenever you are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, cool, my own custom move for me to roll horribly on !

Ned, his arms clutching as many of the modern weapons as he can hold, grins blissfully and gazes around the armoury once more. He could figure out the different guns and their quirks later, for the moment he was content to stay in heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter gives agent Broadbent the dirtiest look he can muster.
How on earth did he get all the way down to my primary alias? he wonders. He mentally recalls all the paperwork he gave STAMP, and the training session. He never ever mentioned any last name, and for damn good reason. He'd have to deal with this afterwards.

But, yeah, as to ground rules, Pete isn't a fan of bureaucracy and regulations. "Don't get killed" is the one ground rule. Everything else is commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Simon has noticed Pete scowling at him and is a bit scared. I am glad we are on the same team, better not upset him....time to act a little more serious

Simon watches Ned enjoying his time in the armory and decides it is time to talk to him a little more. Simon edges into the armory area looking at all the weapons and equipment available. There is enough stuff down here to blow up a city....or hold back an army. Reminds me of those Rambo movies... I would not know how to use half this stuff. If only there had been more weapons training...I could have bought more stuff with me.

Ned is checking on some weapons, sighting them and collecting ammo

Simon thinks the time is 'Wright' to ask a question

'Hey Ned, you know you said we are related before,well how are we related again as it would be good to understand'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned looks up as Simon interrupts his excited inspection of the various weapons.

"How we family? Well the folks back at that iceberg place said stuff 'bout DNA testin' or something, not too sure on all that really. They didn't seem to believe me 'bout who I was at first, you see, dunno why. Guess that led 'em to you."

Ned doesn't sound completely confident in trying to explain the odd procedure which he himself didn't understand but he doesn't seem to doubt it, or his own thoughts on the matter, either.

"Course you got the name and your eyes look exactly like my ole uncle's so it's gotta be at least half right. The way I figure it you must be Hector's great something or other. The folks at the lab were more specific but I'll be damned if I can remember all the father's cousin's greats and what ever else on the list."

Finished with his explanation Ned glances up from his investigation of the latest gun off the rack and flashes Simon a jovial grin.

"Either way it's good to have you 'round, lil' cousin. Hope you've got yourself one of these brilliant new guns!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Simon smiles hopefully at Ned during his explanation

'Thanks Ned, the guys back at the iceberg said nothing to me so when I heard you mentioning it back there I did not believe it. After you mentioned Hector I think it is probably true. Hector is a family name that I know each generation of my family has had for a while. My fathers name is Hector, my Grandfather had Hector as one of his middle names...'

My middle name is Hector

'I guess that as we are on the same team, but also family, we better look out for each other. Let me know if I can help in any way'

Simon wonders about the DNA test taken at the Iceberg base...Why did no one tell me the details there and then, seems odd that they did not

Running his fingers over a couple of large automatic weapons, Simon responds to Ned

'I have a Handgun, it's only a few years old, and I trained a lot with it at the base, so fingers crossed I can get the bad guys with it'

Simon backs out of the armory and looks at the fresh id's that Agent Broadbent has placed on the table. Simon MacLean.....Simon MacLean....hi, my name is Simon Maclean. Maclean....Maclean....Clean....Clean...I need a shower, this stink is never going away.

Hi, Sir....erm...Agent Boradbent, Have I got time to have a quick shower first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"No skin off my teeth, rook. That's up to your Great Chairman now. Far as I am concerned, you can hang out here until half Canada is all corpsified and gross."

Agent Broadbent is grinning, clearly enjoying your awkwardness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go do whatever you need to do, Simon. Just make it fast. I just don't want to see another innocent killed by whatever this thing is. Oh, and one more thing, Agent Broadbent. Is there any capture order on whatever we find? Pete asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb

'I'll be as quick as I can'

Simon heads to the bathroom, taking his tie off at the same time

In the bathroom he finds everything he needs, including some cologne which he sprays over his clothes and stuff. Best mask the smell as best I can

Simon has a shower, the water is warm. Is this the last wash I am going to get for a while....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One eyebrow rises half an inch. "Good point, lad. They didn't cover that at the HQ, right? Cause it's complicated, that's why. But you saw the bestiary, didcha? So, while it's not all 'bringem backalive', the eggheads are happy for new playthings. I wasn't the right man for that; I ended things. For you recruits, it's all a test anyway, how you all operate on in-su-fi-cient intel. Catch my drift?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [57] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.