Subject: Table 1: Šternberk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2014 [+] S.T.A.M.P [+] [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Navigation:

Scene 1: The Airborne Approach
Scene 2: Exploring Šternberk'
Scene 3: Splitting the Party - Bookstore Blitz and an Errant Girl
Interlude: Calling Oxford
Scene 4: On the Umbilical Trail, and a Faeteful Meeting
Scene 5: Into the Woods
Interlude: Inflight Entertainment
Scene 6: The Hunters and The Hunted
Scene 7: A Rumble in the Jungle
Scene 8: Taking Possession
Scene 9: Ground Zero
Scene 10: Get the f*** out of Dodge
Interlude: I can hear dead voices
Scene 11: Towards Hallowed Ground
Scene 12: This! Is! Šternberk!

The black helicopter soars across the Tatra mountains, and then descends into the plains of Moravia. You have your helmets on, and some chatter continues (as it will) throughout the journey.

Eastern Silesia is not a place you have visited before, and it surely is not in the focus of the media - you imagine what sort of global reaction 20 missing kids would have triggered if this had happened a few hundred kilometers further west.

At any rate, leaving such thoughts aside, as you are approaching your destination, you all become painfully aware of the fact that you know precious little of what awaits you. The briefing was hardly conclusive, and you realize that if working for S.T.A.M.P. means crossing half the world on the basis of some hunch and some incomprehensible algorithms, your future lives will be very interesting indeed.

Šternberk castle is the first landmark to pierce the autumn fog, and this is the signal for the pilot to prepare a landing, "somewhere near a bus station, right?" You prep your gear, finally switch of the subliminal sub-routines that have been drilling Czech phrases into your brains throughout the journey, and get ready to disembark.

"Oh, and when you need a pick-up, just burn something big, will ya?"

There you are!
Please, each of you answer one of the following questions along with your first post.
* Who of the other recruits did you miss during the flight? Do you think they also wish that you were on their mission?
* What did you learn about one of your team members that really surprised you?
* You have a weird suspicion about this case. What is it?

What do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RPG Geek PbF Initiative 2014 Table 1: 'Šternberk'
* Who of the other recruits did you miss during the flight? Do you think they also wish that you were on their mission?

"Never thought I'd say it, but I miss Minna's personality. The flight would have been a great time to banter, to get to know each other better, but... eh, she'll be fine. She beat Gordon at darts in the bar... I'm sure she can cope. Probably isn't even thinkin' about me. Come to think o' it, Probably hacked into the black box on this helicopter and is listenin' in right now.

Sam is practically hanging out the helicopter window during the last part of the flight, trying to get the lay of the land. She is ready for anything to happen - up to and including the helicopter exploding.

She doesn't want to call in any favors yet - though the prospect of having her own car would be nice. She's willing to wait and discuss things with her team. After all, if she dies, they are going to need to drive the vehicle, so anything she requests better be something they can all handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a weird suspicion about this case. What is it?

Something isn't right, last time I was in the Czech Republic I nearly wiped out Prague, not my doing mind you, if my partner(have mercy on him) wouldn't have tried to start digging into my life, that building would still be standing and so might he. Why would they bring me back to this place? Did we disturb something then? Did something awaken?

Drop us down softly this time, I hate when you drop this thing out of the sky like a rock, makes me jumpy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time you were here for STAMP? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* What did you learn about one of your team members that really surprised you?

I know I am already missing some of the fun and safety of the HQ, it was nice having everyone.. sort of a big, mostly ugly and scary family, but family still.

Bella... that is my biggest surprise, how can anyone be so tough, have so much happen, be so funny and brave, even if some of it is a front. I knew she was tough really.. but she can handle herself and just about anything thrown her way.

With just the three of us... we have a lot to cover

I am on the lookout for any signs of people acting or covering something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are gently dumped by the pilot, who gives you a thumbs up and disappears again, like a fat black bumblebee-dragonfly hybrid in search of greener pastures. He will be setting down in the border area, up in the mountains most like, and have a hell of a boring time.
Boring can be so nice.

Šternberk is not a huge place, and apart from the castle looks hardly impressive, but with the low-hanging fog rising out of the meadows and wafting through town, it does have an ominous aspect to it: just right for hidden things, for secrets, for conspiracies, for getting lost. There are people about, but with the chill of the damp wind nobody seems eager to idle in the streets. Even the car noises are muffled.

Regarding your mission, you have precious few leads, so maybe your first steps are already clear to you?

Somewhere in town, in an unmarked building, a hobby astrologist flips through an ancient tome, her eyes wide in disbelief.

What do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, last time I was near enough to 20 kids they were awfully loud, someone has to know something, has to have heard something. It's too quiet here, I don't like it at all.

So, all signs point to that big giant castle over there, we heading that way or are we doing a bit of shopping in town first?

Flynt takes a step back from the other two and closes his eyes, concentrating deeply, looking for a sign/a clue to appear in his mind. What kind of evil is here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching to see if Flynt can sense anything.

I think we head to town to see if we can get any clues on what happened here.

We have to find those kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flynt -

it is always an existential moment, closing your eyes and opening yourself to see things man was not meant to see; but there were times when the Sight saved you from occult ambush, so you know precisely what this power is worth to you.

Your team mates seem to understand what you are doing, and give you some space and helpfully keep quiet for a moment.

Hmmmmm... you find yourself humming involuntarily. Hmmmmm... It takes a moment to realize that this is some wave you are picking up. Astral? Or is it sound even? Is that a trace of a melody? It is remarkable and a bit novel for you that this sensation is not visual at all, and actually really really faint. And it reeks of golden secrets. Whoah. Synesthesia! That is novel. Trying to tune in further, you let your senses reach for a source, an origin, and finally give up. There is something in the wider area, humming, but on a frequency that is difficult for you to receive. It surely does not come from the castle. You think if you might get closer, maybe you could pinpoint the origin, but now it is still too faint. As you open your eyes again, it is gone immediately, as your visual data overwhelms the minuscule input you managed to pick up.
Your eyes hurt a little.

What do you do?

Alright, a moment for system illustration. Your move "The Sight" as written does not require a roll, so you didn't have to do anything. But, you ask, but, Felix, wasn't I investigating a mystery? Nearly. To perform the basic move "investigating a mystery" you need some data, some evidence, something. With The Sight these clues can even be less tangible than for other people! But: You don't have any real evidence yet, so The Sight just gives you a little something for free. Yay. But, you ask, wasn't this Use Magic? No, not really, because The Sight works just like that. Of course, if you wanted to, you could still Use Magic for a specific (related) effect (compare list of effects on the Hunter Reference Sheet). But you didn't need to. Clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam looks in the direction of the castle, then towards Flynt, and finally her eyes come to rest on Dane.

"Alright men, now that we are here, there are some things you should know about this mission.

Forty-eight hours ago a child with burnt out eyes has appeared in this place. This child, a boy named Petr Duda, age eight, had gone missin' five days before, and apart from the eyes is apparently in fine mental and bodily health. This is significant as over the last two weeks, reports of a about twenty missin' children have triggered our alerts, even as these reports are suppressed by officials."

Sam looks around, "And that's the good news. The bad news is that the police and media might be on site - not to mention the place is crawlin' with civilians. And if that wasn't bad enough, three weeks ago a local newspaper reported a UFO sightin'. O' course the local news discounted it, but S.T.A.M.P. does not. So we could be dealing with some highly sophisticated aliens here."

Sam nods at Flynt, "While Flynt here does his thing, we should come up with a plan of action. Questionin' parents in town about where their children were last seen, comin' up with a cover story for why we are out here. And we might want to think of any gear to be delivered now, before we have to use it and it isn't around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little clearer than mud, but it'll become clearer as we go I imagine

There is something here, I can feel it, but what it is, where it is, or why it is, I couldn't even start to tell you. Time for some old fashioned investigation I suppose.

You think the parents are more likely to talk to us like this or if we were maybe reporters? Or maybe just investigators not of the monster hunting variety?

Flynt looks up at the sky, looking for something, what it is he doesn't know yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people don't take monster hunters seriously.

I like how you think. If we were detectives investigatin' a child slave ring or some-such, I have a feelin' the parents might be a wee bit more willin' to talk to the likes o' us.

We gotta be sincere - and the fact is too many reporters just want to make a quick quid off o' someone else's misery."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't we go to town, try and find where they have this Kid Duda and start there, we have enough pull to get past the locals right? once we get to town, let's see if our old buddy here can sniff out anything else from his "vibes", that might just be a good pinger in town. If that is ok with you, boss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sounds good. I think we have a plan.

We'll head to town, question people while actin' like detectives, and hope that Flynt here can get a good readin' on what's goin' down.

Now, I can rustle up a vehicle, if we'd like one on the ground instead o' walkin'. Otherwise, I say we head down the road.

We've got a monster to hunt!"
a grin suffuses Sam's face at the prospect of hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A car sounds like a great idea, something roomy, not one of those European clown cars.

Maybe once we are in town we can see if there is somewhere to learn a bit of the history of this place, it's a long shot, but maybe there is something in the history of the town that could tell us something as well. A bar, a bookstore, a historical society, something like that.

Flynt figits a bit with the feather in his coat pocket, something is really not right here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You got it! What do you say, Dane? Does a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon four-door sound like the perfect vehicle? It has off-road capabilities, spacious seats, room for more people - and room for gear. Plus the top comes off if we need to say, fire on the enemy. In fact, I have the the Freedom Top option, so each panel of the roof can come off separately: the left front side, the right front side and the backseat."

Using Sam's Vehicle Aficionado ability. "You have a massive collection of vehicles in your personal collection and the contacts to get one delivered to even the remotest location, given time. Once per mystery you can have any type of civilian class vehicle on hand." Of course this wouldn't be delivered immediately - so how long will a delivery like this take?

I honestly know nothing of cars in real life, and when doing a quick search found this vehicle.

This is what this monster vehicle looks like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That works for me, black is definitely a good look for us in this place. Let me throw my gear in the back and let's get rolling when Dane is good to go.

Anyone else have any weird vibes going on? I mean other than what is put off by me?

will be away from the PC this evening till probably around 10ish, will check back in around then if possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's roll that baby out and get some new info on these kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Alright! Time to roll out and see what's really goin' on in this town!"

Sam wishes she could sling her gear into the trunk of the jeep*. And then she'd get behind the wheel. It makes no difference to her where the rest of her team sits. As soon as they are in the vehicle, she floors it and heads to the town.

But that is all wishful thinking...

*Well, if I can have the car right now, I see no reason why we can't roll out... GM - do stop me if it takes time to get that jeep here and we have to walk.

And I'll be away from my computer tonight as well - it's my face-to-face RPG night. I'll be away from 6 until 9 pm PDT (or from 1 until 4 am GMT), but I'll try to check in here after that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh, face-to-face time. Noice! I had at least two friends over for boardgaming tonight. Yay.

The car will be flown from England into some provincial airport nearby right away, and some peon will be found to drive it over tonight. You can have it in as little as six hours.

Until then, you'll have to do some walking, but the town is small, and this way you probably get the best impression of what's what here. The car would be extremely helpful if you had any clear destination beyond the city proper. You could, for example, easily reach the local "Ethnographic Museum", a big name for what is probably just a collection of old farm implements and creative needlework, but who knows?

There are signposts around ("as if tourists ever came here!"), so it would be easy to find. Bars are easier still: you pass a number while you are just walking around aimlessly. While a few are quiet, others have already drawn a decent early-lunch crowd. Some glance over at you, both patrons and passers-by, with a certain grade of disinterest in their eyes. Still, it might be possible to get somebody to share their views.

You do have an address for the Duda family, a brisk 10 min. walk away from the castle. The fog is still heavy. You have know idea where you'll be staying tonight.

What do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell, I could have sworn I saw a damn Jeep here a bit ago, what the hell is my gear doing on the ground?!

Anyone else hungry? I could use a bite to eat, wonder if the food is any good, we know the beer won't be.

Flynt picks up his bag and slings it over his back and starts to walk slowly towards the town proper.

Better get a move on and get some grub and a few questions answered, also a soft place to sleep might be a good idea, I only look like I sleep standing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"So, it looks like we can have that nice little vehicle in about six hours. Until then, we'll have to hoof it.

So, we need a place to stay - I can talk to the locals if you like, find an inn, motel, bed-and-breakfast or some other sort of place has a bed for rent.

We can always visit the bars for dinner, but I think we won't get much out o' that lot unless we already have a few local names we could drop in the conversation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scene 2: Exploring Šternberk
There are both greying hotels around, and occasional and defiantly hopeful bead-and-breakfast places of people hoping to scoop up the occasional tourist. Room is available, no worries there.

Wherever you inquire, people surely are curious, but keep their questions to themselves, likely afraid to scare off potential paying customes.
In the helicopter, you got a decent pile of Czech crowns, so neither will you leave a papertrail, nor do you have much to worry about in terms of expenses.
Your eventual landlord makes an effort to praise the local "Kacov" beer brand, and especially its "Hubertus" brew, with its traditional bottle style etc. etc., and the "Golden Lion" restaurant would be having the best regional specialties. Sounds nice, but if you were wanting to talk to the natives, you are probably better off trying one of the small bars, however quaint.

Folks, I will be travelling as of tomorrow, up until next Tuesday. I will make a ginormous effort to drop in once a day on my trusty little phone to keep the pace regular. Just so you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think since we have the hotel taken care of let's either check out the local bars and get some locals drunk... or let's go check out the "Ethnographic Museum" if it is still open. Or we can do both if you would like.

I want to say send me to the bars to talk, but I am not the most persuasive guy in the room, so if there is going to be trouble some place....

good luck with the travels! Dane says to the disembodied voice in the sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.